Indoor Practice Facility

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Indoor Practice Facility

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:25 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:My comment about Leahy is that the location of BC does not fit his overly conservative values. He would be a better fit at Creighton. His lack of interest in athletics makes him more suited again for Creighton. He is just a bad fit at BC, being located in a liberal city with a P5 franchise. I do not know why he really wants to be here.

Leahy wants to be at BC because, within the SOJ, President of BC is the summit of a career in education.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:28 am

hansen {l Wrote}:If anyone needed proof that collegiate football spending is out of control:
http://wpo.st/wLsy0

That facility sounds awesome. If you had the choice, there is literally not one reason why you would play football at BC over Clemson.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:33 am

hansen {l Wrote}:If anyone needed proof that collegiate football spending is out of control:

This does not make me feel good about being a college football fan.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:39 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

That facility sounds awesome. If you had the choice, there is literally not one reason why you would play football at BC over Clemson.

what if your father fornicated with your mother in the windmill of a miniature golf course and that's how you were conceived? if that happened and i knew that was from whence i came, i would not go to clemson for the reality of every time i saw the mini golf course i would think about my father fornicating with my mother... and that is gross
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:41 am

If I had the choice I would not choose Clemson for free over college for free unless I was fairly certain I was heading to the NFL.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:42 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

This does not make me feel good about being a college football fan.

I completely agree, that's essentially cheating.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:06 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

what if your father fornicated with your mother in the windmill of a miniature golf course and that's how you were conceived? if that happened and i knew that was from whence i came, i would not go to clemson for the reality of every time i saw the mini golf course i would think about my father fornicating with my mother... and that is gross

way to take her down pops. well done.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:40 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:If I had the choice I would not choose Clemson for free over college for free unless I was fairly certain I was heading to the NFL.

Clemson is the #21 ranked public university according to US News.

Albany is in a 6-way tie for #62 with ASU, LSU, Arkansas, Illinois and Kentucky.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:47 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:If I had the choice I would not choose Clemson for free over college for free unless I was fairly certain I was heading to the NFL.

Clemson is the #21 ranked public university according to US News.

Albany is in a 6-way tie for #62 with ASU, LSU, Arkansas, Illinois and Kentucky.

Just shows you they'll let anyone into your alma mater's grad schools.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:49 am

PS, they let those same people into your undergrad too. Legacy days and all.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:38 pm

In a low interest rate environment you borrow as much as you can and fixed the rate for as long as you can. You hang onto your cash donations. Now is the time for BC to borrow and build their athletic facilities. Fund raising is never ending, but it will take years to raise enough funds to build all of the facilities BC needs to be competitive in the ACC. The low interest rates will not be around forever and construction cost will continue to increase. Waiting to raise money will only result in costing BC more money in construction costs.

I do not know who they will replace Leahy with and the next person could be worse. Looking at what Clemson is building and what other ACC teams will build, BC has big decisions to make regarding athletics, not just in terms of facilities, but how many varsity teams can they really support. This is much too big of a decision for Leahy or Bates to make. It's going to take the Trustees to come up with the long term plan on how best to manage athletics and get the most revenue out of an ACC franchise.

My point on Leahy is that he is a conservative mid-westerner in a liberal city and state. Catholics here are liberals, not conservatives. BC's students are liberals, it's just a bad fit that cannot last much longer. I'm voting for Trump, so don't look to what I believe in. I'm just commenting on what I see happening in Boston. It's a losing battle he is fighting and BC will suffer the fallout, right or wrong.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:43 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:In a low interest rate environment you borrow as much as you can and fixed the rate for as long as you can. You hang onto your cash donations. Now is the time for BC to borrow and build their athletic facilities. Fund raising is never ending, but it will take years to raise enough funds to build all of the facilities BC needs to be competitive in the ACC. The low interest rates will not be around forever and construction cost will continue to increase. Waiting to raise money will only result in costing BC more money in construction costs.

I do not know who they will replace Leahy with and the next person could be worse. Looking at what Clemson is building and what other ACC teams will build, BC has big decisions to make regarding athletics, not just in terms of facilities, but how many varsity teams can they really support. This is much too big of a decision for Leahy or Bates to make. It's going to take the Trustees to come up with the long term plan on how best to manage athletics and get the most revenue out of an ACC franchise.

My point on Leahy is that he is a conservative mid-westerner in a liberal city and state. Catholics here are liberals, not conservatives. BC's students are liberals, it's just a bad fit that cannot last much longer. I'm voting for Trump, so don't look to what I believe in. I'm just commenting on what I see happening in Boston. It's a losing battle he is fighting and BC will suffer the fallout, right or wrong.

That's not how any of this works.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:53 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:That's not how any of this works.

Sports for BC is like Powerade for CocaCola. Powerade would be run a whole hell of a lot differently if it wasn't just a small part of a bigger picture. Similarly, if BC Athletics was a standalone sports franchise, maybe 10% of what Corners writes would make sense. However, BC Athletics remains stubbornly part of a University.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:40 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:In a low interest rate environment you borrow as much as you can and fixed the rate for as long as you can. You hang onto your cash donations. Now is the time for BC to borrow and build their athletic facilities. Fund raising is never ending, but it will take years to raise enough funds to build all of the facilities BC needs to be competitive in the ACC. The low interest rates will not be around forever and construction cost will continue to increase. Waiting to raise money will only result in costing BC more money in construction costs.

i'm creating a new aliass just to vote for you again in the worst poster contest
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:44 pm

Holy hell this might be the worst post in the history of EO.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:56 pm

There are so many incorrect statements in this post I don't even know where to start.
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:24 pm

It makes sense to say the best time to finance capital intensive projects is when interest rates are at a low. This is exactly what BC did, they issued bonds and built Stokes and whatever the new dorm is called and renovated Gasson and the new art museum building and probably a bunch of other crap. They just didn't undertake any big athletics projects because that's way down the list of priorities as we all know quite well.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby StratEagle on Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:33 pm

The best part about eaglekeeper is that after being laughed at constantly he keeps coming back and posting the same nonsense. Who is running this alias?
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:39 am

BC has always borrowed money to build dorms and classrooms. There is no reason why athletics should not be allowed to borrow to build the indoor field and renovate the stadium. This is exactly how sports facilities get built. Every college and pro team borrows money to build facilities. Every building under construction in Boston is financed to the max. Gladchuk was set to build the indoor field and new football facility 20 years ago at far less expensive cost compared to construction cost of today. Only complete fools wait for fundraising to come through before breaking ground.This is the reason why BC is so far behind everyone in facilities. You can borrow at 4%, you don't think BC can get a better than 4% return on the cash donation? When BC paid cash for the Brighton campus it really fucked up the cash flow and they fell below their own operating ratios causing delays in construction projects. This is why BC is now borrowing significantly to finance the master plan. The cash is going to the endowment and the interest will pay the financing cost. Athletics should be no different.

When BC announces a big donation it does not mean that they received a lump sum check. Most donations of significance are spread out over many years. BC received 158 million in cash donations this year mostly due to the capital campaign. The ACC and the FF along with ticket sales, etc. are a major cash revenue source for BC.

I'm surprised at the naivete on this board about real estate development, construction and financing. All Leahy is doing is bleeding every dime out of athletics without investing a single nickel back into the business. Time to get Leahy out of athletics
and let the trustees develop the long term strategic plan and hire the management team to execute it.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby eagle33 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:00 am

How many lanes is our bowling alley going to have?
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby eagletx on Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:53 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:That's not how any of this works.

Sports for BC is like Powerade for CocaCola. Powerade would be run a whole hell of a lot differently if it wasn't just a small part of a bigger picture. Similarly, if BC Athletics was a standalone sports franchise, maybe 10% of what Corners writes would make sense. However, BC Athletics remains stubbornly part of a University.

Bingo!
Keeper keeps coming back with a perspective ( on commercial real estate) that has little or no relevance to the BC experience as it relates to ATHLETICS!
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:13 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:I'm surprised at the naivete on this board about real estate development, construction and financing. All Leahy is doing is bleeding every dime out of athletics without investing a single nickel back into the business. Time to get Leahy out of athletics and let the trustees develop the long term strategic plan and hire the management team to execute it.

I don't like Leahy... never have.

However, Corners' posts show the business thinking of a local builder and not a CEO of a major corporation. BC does not and should not borrow for the purposes of whatever project du jour is happening. A major company (which is what BC has become) manages its debt load IRREGARDLESS of projects. They maintain a certain debt ratio whether or not there is a shovel-ready project on the horizon. I will further point out that BC strategically takes on debt through the issuance of bonds. Those bonds are rated. Continually adding debt to the entity who issued the bonds results in those ratings decreasing, which results in the interest rates on said bonds increasing.

Finally, the smalltime, rudimentary thinking of Corners is not to say that what he writes is incompatable with what other programs have done. Schools like Maryland and Rutgers have followed such a roadmap... both have run into massive financial crises that even a move to the Big Ten has not cured. Once again proving the adage that those who can, do... and those who can't, teach (as if our President has already shown that beyond the shadow of a doubt).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:26 am

Trump just called and he wants you to delete this.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:35 am

Trump's dealt with bankruptcy four times. Just sayin'.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:33 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Trump's dealt with bankruptcy four times. Just sayin'.

On casinos. Double just sayin
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:53 pm

Actually, BC received low interest loans from the government to build most of the main campus. Issuing bonds is a relatively new BC is financing construction. Of course you completely missed the point and you picked 2 horribly run state universities as examples. Standford and Baylor would be better choices. Also, you offer no plan, no options and present the situation as really hopeless, so why blame Bates and Addazio?

Let's say BC needs 400 million in athletic facilities for new construction and renovations. Let's assume they can raise that money in cash in 5 years. Assuming interest rates are sill low at 4-5%, don't you think BC will be tempted to keep that cash, put it into the endowment that should be earning a 7 percent return and just borrow another 400 million?

What you do point out is the ultra conservative money management policy that has held down the growth in the endowment absent fund raising. Notre Dame does not manager their endowment by being overly conservative. 10 years ago BC stood at 1.2 billion, ND about 3 billion. Today ND is 10 billion, BC 2.2 billion. Perhaps we should ND's money managers to run our athletic financing and manage the endowment. Obviously BC is doing things the wrong way and a change in management is needed starting at the top.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:29 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Actually, BC received low interest loans from the government to build most of the main campus. Issuing bonds is a relatively new BC is financing construction. Of course you completely missed the point and you picked 2 horribly run state universities as examples. Standford and Baylor would be better choices. Also, you offer no plan, no options and present the situation as really hopeless, so why blame Bates and Addazio?

Let's say BC needs 400 million in athletic facilities for new construction and renovations. Let's assume they can raise that money in cash in 5 years. Assuming interest rates are sill low at 4-5%, don't you think BC will be tempted to keep that cash, put it into the endowment that should be earning a 7 percent return and just borrow another 400 million?

What you do point out is the ultra conservative money management policy that has held down the growth in the endowment absent fund raising. Notre Dame does not manager their endowment by being overly conservative. 10 years ago BC stood at 1.2 billion, ND about 3 billion. Today ND is 10 billion, BC 2.2 billion. Perhaps we should ND's money managers to run our athletic financing and manage the endowment. Obviously BC is doing things the wrong way and a change in management is needed starting at the top.

First, it is Stanford.
Second, BC's management of its endowment is pretty much beyond reproach and widely lauded by the investing community.
Third, pissing away money on athletics is not "ultra conservative money management" it is called being rational. There is NOTHING about the facilities arm-race that makes any sense. It is a bubble much like the cable one that just popped (see Disney stock being dragged down by ESPN).
Finally, what can Bates do? What he can do is fundraise to foot the bill on these projects. Once BC gave Bates the go-ahead it means that Bates needs to raise the money. If he can't, then he sucks at his job. What Bates can also do is hire better coaches and not go the cheapest route possible. He manages the P&L for athletics. He can hire a $3mm coach so long as he is convinced that said coach can return dollar-for-dollar in additional revenue.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:11 am

How can Bates do much of anything without any immediate funding? Leahy makes all decisions on salaries and that is why we get cheap coaches. If you call building an indoor field and stadium renovations wasteful spending, you must be advocating for BC to join the Patriot league.

So, you're the AD, tell us your plan to raise 200 to 400 million, how soon can we expect this money and what would you spend it on?

Nice dodge on the performance of the endowment compared to ND. BTW both Stanford and Baylor had a strategic plan that included new stadiums, well paid top notch coaches and look at where their programs are now compared to BC. We just lost our best coach in Don Brown. You must realize that BC is not going to stay competitive, let alone actually win the conference without major upgrades to our facilities. Any good coach that we luck out in getting is just going to use us as a stepping stone unless you give him the facilities to at least have a chance to compete.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:42 am

Holy shit what is BC doing with $400 million in improvements in athletics?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:54 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Holy shit what is BC doing with $400 million in improvements in athletics?

I had no idea what you were talking about and then I realized you are actually reading eaglecorners' posts.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium