Florida State!

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Florida State!

Postby BCdee on Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:42 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:So are people doubling down on the "I hate FSU" line and rooting for a rivalry win for Florida? Or do you grit your teeth and hope FSU pulls it out so we don't have to hear the SEC chant as they point to a bottom dweller in their weaker conference beating the top ACC team as proof that they should get all 4 spots in any playoff system.

FSU better win out and bring home the national championship again. Go ACC.
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:44 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:So are people doubling down on the "I hate FSU" line and rooting for a rivalry win for Florida? Or do you grit your teeth and hope FSU pulls it out so we don't have to hear the SEC chant as they point to a bottom dweller in their weaker conference beating the top ACC team as proof that they should get all 4 spots in any playoff system.

I'll root for them the rest of the way because it will be nice to have another MNC for the ACC so we can stop hearing SEC chants all together.

My ideal scenario is one in which both Alabama and Mississippi State lose to Auburn and Ole Miss next weekend, thus basically guaranteeing no SEC teams in the final four.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby talon on Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:49 am

I don't give a shit if the National Champion comes from the ACC unless it's Boston College.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby talon on Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:50 am

and now that there is an actual playoff (albeit onlyl four teams), why are people calling it a "MNC?"
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:00 am

not rooting for FSU

i guess ideally they'd lose to gt so we don't have to hear the sec nonsense
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:44 am

talon {l Wrote}:...(albeit onlyl four teams)...

that's enough for me to stick an "m" on it
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:54 am

I'm rooting for FSU to win out as it shows just how close BC is to the top in college football.

I too would love to see Ole Miss and Auburn win this weekend... resulting in an FSU, Oregon, Baylor, OSU playoff. Would love for that to be the seeding as Baylor-Oregon could set a record for points scored. My gripe about the SEC is that, since they don't play anyone out of conference, how are we to know that their in-conference wins/losses are so great? I personally don't think Bama can hang with Oregon, Baylor or FSU. They are better than tOSU, but that ain't saying much. I think they are very comparable to TCU. I absolutely hate Bama's offense and think their QB is the weakest of all those in consideration for the playoffs.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby AdamBC on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:11 am

talon {l Wrote}:and now that there is an actual playoff (albeit onlyl four teams), why are people calling it a "MNC?"

Because Condi Rice is picking those 4 teams and an undefeated FSU may be the 4th team in.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:27 am

AdamBC {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:and now that there is an actual playoff (albeit onlyl four teams), why are people calling it a "MNC?"

Because Condi Rice is picking those 4 teams and an undefeated FSU may be the 4th team in.

I think the ACC not getting any respect from the committee has a little more to do with a certain former Commissioner.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:39 am

i dont care about conference affiliation.

rooting for the gators
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:16 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:i dont care about conference affiliation.

rooting for the gators

Its not a conference affiliation thing for me. Its that my SEC-fatigue is greater than my FSU-fatigue.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:21 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:i dont care about conference affiliation.

rooting for the gators

Its not a conference affiliation thing for me. Its that my SEC-fatigue is greater than my FSU-fatigue.

This. But, even more so, it is about gauging exactly where the BC program is on the national landscape. I'd be rooting for CSU if the committee would allow a non-Big 5 team into consideration (none were in last week's Top 25).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:23 am

I agree with HJS, FSU winning out is good for BC. I'm still annoyed. Guess it is good to think about what could have been in a season when expectations were low. Ended up about where expected, but came so so close to awesome.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:24 am

I don't know that we'll get much credit for playing FSU close because this is like the 4th game in a row where FSU was in a close game. If it hadn't already been done by NCSU, Virginia, Wake, Miami etc., then it would probably get more notice.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:25 am

I want FSU to win it all. Its good for the conference and thus BC.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby 31southst on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:29 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I'm rooting for FSU to win out as it shows just how close BC is to the top in college football.

I too would love to see Ole Miss and Auburn win this weekend... resulting in an FSU, Oregon, Baylor, OSU playoff. Would love for that to be the seeding as Baylor-Oregon could set a record for points scored. My gripe about the SEC is that, since they don't play anyone out of conference, how are we to know that their in-conference wins/losses are so great? I personally don't think Bama can hang with Oregon, Baylor or FSU. They are better than tOSU, but that ain't saying much. I think they are very comparable to TCU. I absolutely hate Bama's offense and think their QB is the weakest of all those in consideration for the playoffs.

I certainly am tired of the SEC but I don't think it's fair to say they don't play anyone. Of the contenders, Alabama beat an ok WVU team, LSU beat Wiscy who will likely be in the B1G title game (granted B1G sucks), Auburn beat a solid KSU team, and UGA beat Clemson. The big black eye is Mizzou losing to IU and possibly making the SEC CG. There's also Clemson-South Carolina and UGA-GT for next week which can also help change perceptions.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:36 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I agree with HJS, FSU winning out is good for BC. I'm still annoyed. Guess it is good to think about what could have been in a season when expectations were low. Ended up about where expected, but came so so close to awesome.

I started ranking how much each loss bugged me:

1. CSU. Home and with the lead, can't get the defense off the field. Lose to a (good) non P5 team.
2. Clemson. Not only did the game slip through the hands of our receiver, but this is also the most egregious example of how not having a kicking game cost us a W.
3. FSU. We looked awesome out there. A kicking game could've changed things. Probably shrugging a bit because we weren't 'supposed to' beat FSU
4. Pitt. In hindsight, its a bad loss. Would've been more upset with it had I known we would be as capable as we were.
5. Frustrating, but we were out of sync and out of it pretty quickly.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:48 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I agree with HJS, FSU winning out is good for BC. I'm still annoyed. Guess it is good to think about what could have been in a season when expectations were low. Ended up about where expected, but came so so close to awesome.

1. CSU. Home and with the lead, can't get the defense off the field. Lose to a (good) non P5 team.
2. Clemson. Not only did the game slip through the hands of our receiver, but this is also the most egregious example of how not having a kicking game cost us a W.
3. FSU. We looked awesome out there. A kicking game could've changed things. Probably shrugging a bit because we weren't 'supposed to' beat FSU
4. Pitt. In hindsight, its a bad loss. Would've been more upset with it had I known we would be as capable as we were.

This is a good exercise.

1. CSU. For what you said but i also was irritated before the game even started because it should've never been on the schedule.
2. Pitt. We just looked like dogshit and was our home opener after getting a walkthru at the hands of umass. That's really the first game ive been extremely upset with the adaziani regime.
3. Clemson. They're a damn good team - i thought we played okay but frustrating as to how it ended
4. Louisville. we just never really looked good
5. FSU. Thought we played great. Couple bounces went our way, couple didnt

i generally get frustrated in the following order:

1. poor scheduling
2. poor play
3. better play but tough luck
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:50 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

I was less pissed off by CSU because it was nonconference. In addition to the pathetic job by the D on the 4th and whatever, I'd also note that the D stopped CSU on the previous drive only to have a 3 and out by the O.

I'd say Clemson, FSU, CSU in that order. Pitt and Louisville kind of rolled us. Hindsight is one thing, but we got smoked in those 2 games, so I just chalk them up as Ls. The other three piss me off.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:32 pm

I'm rooting for FSU the rest of the way. I want an ACC team in the playoff and I still hate FSU less than the rest of the teams likely to make the playoff.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:49 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:I don't know that we'll get much credit for playing FSU close because this is like the 4th game in a row where FSU was in a close game. If it hadn't already been done by NCSU, Virginia, Wake, Miami etc., then it would probably get more notice.

I've seen a lot of those close-wins by FSU. I have to say (and I'm trying to be impartial here) that the BC game felt different. It wasn't a situation where FSU came out flat and then flipped-the-switch at halftime and rolled someone. FSU played well from the beginning but BC just kept pounding away and burning the clock (and keeping Rapeis off the field). There wasn't luck... there wasn't suspensions or injuries. It was just two teams slugging away.

At the end of the day, even if we scored a TD, chances are we were going to lose. We attempted the FG with 4:30 left. Since FSU had its timeouts, there was no way we could burn much more than 2 minutes in going the remaining 25 yards. My point is that even if we scored a TD, we would have had to come up with a defensive stop to prevent OT. With our kicking situation, OT is not where we would want to be.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:01 pm

I agree BC loses if it goes to OT. But two more first downs make it an easy FG and probably blow another 3 minutes off of the clock. That's why the decision to have a TE throw to the QB is so frustrating - not that they would get the first down automatically, but at least they would have a shot, or be able to consider a 4th down call. Throwing that down away eliminated that.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:31 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:I don't know that we'll get much credit for playing FSU close because this is like the 4th game in a row where FSU was in a close game. If it hadn't already been done by NCSU, Virginia, Wake, Miami etc., then it would probably get more notice.

I've seen a lot of those close-wins by FSU. I have to say (and I'm trying to be impartial here) that the BC game felt different. It wasn't a situation where FSU came out flat and then flipped-the-switch at halftime and rolled someone. FSU played well from the beginning but BC just kept pounding away and burning the clock (and keeping Rapeis off the field). There wasn't luck... there wasn't suspensions or injuries. It was just two teams slugging away.

I full agree. It was a different game than the others I listed. But for those that are IB-ing the box score or paying attention to the SEC rather than really watching FSU, the result looks the same: a come from behind win against a team that is finishing with somewhere between 5 and 7 wins. In other words 'meh.'
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:36 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I full agree. It was a different game than the others I listed. But for those that are IB-ing the box score or paying attention to the SEC rather than really watching FSU, the result looks the same: a come from behind win against a team that is finishing with somewhere between 5 and 7 wins. In other words 'meh.'

6 and 8. But point taken.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:53 pm

For the record, this is not the way I would have wanted us to win, had he actually gotten ejected.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:34 pm

FSU vs BC game was completely different than all of FSU's close games. In those other games FSU completely dominated the 2nd half. The last time anyone outscored FSU in the 2nd half was their last loss! BC shut FSU out for 33 minutes, won the turnover battle, outrushed them and won TOP. FSU is in huge trouble if UF or GT does that to them. Absolutely GO NOLES! I want Winston holding NC trophy saying again that BC was their toughest game.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:45 am

BCdee {l Wrote}:

FSU better win out and bring home the national championship again. Go ACC.

This
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:00 am

More to the point of, I don't think people are going to give us the credit we think we should get. Spencer Hall at EDSBS gives it to us quite nicely in this piece, but also puts in the caveat that I'm tallking about:

At the half, it's 17-10. BC ties it up in the third quarter on another missed run fit on an option play. In fact, BC has this game in hand in the fourth quarter, thumping right along down the field with their run game and little else. That is all most will see this weekend, since they probably didn't watch the game, and that's kind of an issue here if you're going to say Florida State is playing down to opponents. They'll see 20-17, say the 2014 Florida State team under performed, and move on to the next game.

If you watched the game however:

Boston College is a really good football team, and a horrendous matchup for Florida State's weaknesses. They mobbed the ball, dominated time of possession, ran midline plays against the inexperienced middle of Florida State's defense, and held shape on defense, preventing big plays by the Seminole offense. They even bossed around FSU's offensive line on occasion, and pressured Winston more than any team I can remember. They are good, but in this situation, on the road and against a team it knew how to attack, they were excellent.

For completeness, he thinks the trick play was the wrong play (though he does mention it worked last year against FSU).
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:25 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:More to the point of, I don't think people are going to give us the credit we think we should get. Spencer Hall at EDSBS gives it to us quite nicely in this piece, but also puts in the caveat that I'm tallking about:

At the half, it's 17-10. BC ties it up in the third quarter on another missed run fit on an option play. In fact, BC has this game in hand in the fourth quarter, thumping right along down the field with their run game and little else. That is all most will see this weekend, since they probably didn't watch the game, and that's kind of an issue here if you're going to say Florida State is playing down to opponents. They'll see 20-17, say the 2014 Florida State team under performed, and move on to the next game.

If you watched the game however:

Boston College is a really good football team, and a horrendous matchup for Florida State's weaknesses. They mobbed the ball, dominated time of possession, ran midline plays against the inexperienced middle of Florida State's defense, and held shape on defense, preventing big plays by the Seminole offense. They even bossed around FSU's offensive line on occasion, and pressured Winston more than any team I can remember. They are good, but in this situation, on the road and against a team it knew how to attack, they were excellent.

For completeness, he thinks the trick play was the wrong play (though he does mention it worked last year against FSU).

It's the accuracy of his opinion that indicts the calling of the trick play.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:25 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:...For completeness, he thinks the trick play was the wrong play (though he does mention it worked last year against FSU).

it worked this year too... right up until the point that murphy forgot that when the ball hit both his hands he should compress them upon the ball to finish the completion
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium