College Football Playoff Rankings

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: College Football Playoff Rankings

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:07 am

HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I second the idea that FSU is not that good after last night. They too are a paper tiger. That said, most of the top teams are flawed in one way or another.

They aren't as good as last year (which was historically an incredible team). But, I wouldn't call them a paper tiger. Right now, the school at #1 had an OOC schedule composed of Southern Miss, UAB, South Alabama and UTM (University of Tennessee - Martin). UTM has losses already to Central Arkansas, Eastern Kentucky, Southeast Missouri and Jacksonville State. MSU hasn't dominated in any of their SEC games. MSU basically got major props for beating LSU who everyone though was the best team in the nation because they BARELY beat Wisco. On an aside, look at the OOC schedules for all SEC teams... they are comical. Pretty much everyone starts the season with 4-wins.

My point is simply that folks here seem to be buying into the same bias that has 9 SEC teams in the Top 10. MSU (and the rest of the SEC for that matter) has struggled every bit as much as FSU. The difference is that when they struggle, against South Carolina or Tennessee or Arkansas or TAMU (all of whom are terrible this year) they get credit for a tough Ess Eee See win. When FSU struggles against ND, it is PROOF that they aren't as good as their record.

I'm judging by my eyes. Last year, FSU was the best team in the country and it was obvious. This year, they are not, and it is obvious.

That said, if they go undefeated, they should be #1 until someone beats them. Trust me, I have no SEC bias. And I certainly don't have a Big10 bias - that conference blows. I'm just noting that ND and FSU aren't that great. If you want to say that there aren't any great teams this year, fine.

Yep... I don't think there are any great teams. I just think FSU is no more flawed than the SEC schools they are vying against. And, while I think the SEC is the best conference (and the B10 is the worst... behind AAC), I don't believe they should have as many teams represented in the top of these rankings. I think the P12 and B12 are under-appreciated. My hope is that if there is a 1-loss B12, P12, ACC and SEC school all should be in the playoffs.

Did the B10 sleep with your wife or something?

The Big10 isn't good enough to cuckold anyone
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:32 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:ND's defense is legit.1 Anyone who can't recognize that on an eyeball test is a moron who knows nothing about football. Their receivers and RB are also as good and athletic as any playing college football today. ND's weakness has been its offensive line, which crapped the bed against Stanford and UNC, but completely dominated FSU up front.

That, for me, was the take away from the FSU game. This isn't the 2012 version of ND which essentially got by with a very, very good front seven, the best TE in college football, one excellent 1/2 of an offensive line (the Zach Martin/Chris Watt side of the line) and unfathomable luck. ND was every bit as big, fast and athletic as FSU and what is scarier is that the front seven is all underclassmen/guys with eligibility left.

I don't think Kelly is a great X and Os coach, but he clearly knows how to build a program. He was available--and wanted the job-- when Greaseball selected Spazz. Another thing to be enraged about.

1. Spare me any gnashing of teeth about UNC scoring 43 points. ND turned the ball over 4 times inside its own 20.

As our resident expert on Notre Dame football at this point in the season how much do you think the controversial loss to FSU is going to hurt ND when looking at making the BCS? I am under the impression it may not matter anymore. Fight on! :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby talon on Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:56 am

Now that we're getting down to crunch time, I wonder how much the mid season playoff rankings will matter and how much weight they'll put on conference championships.

Looking at the conference championships and the most recent rankings ...

SEC: Alabama (#1) vs Mizzou (#17)
Pac12: Oregon (#2) vs Arizona (#11)
ACC: FSU (#3) vs Georgia Tech (#16)
B10: Ohio State (#6) vs Wisconsin (#14)

Do any of these underdogs have a chance at the top four if they win their conference?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:10 pm

talon {l Wrote}:Now that we're getting down to crunch time, I wonder how much the mid season playoff rankings will matter and how much weight they'll put on conference championships.

Looking at the conference championships and the most recent rankings ...

SEC: Alabama (#1) vs Mizzou (#17)
Pac12: Oregon (#2) vs Arizona (#11)
ACC: FSU (#3) vs Georgia Tech (#16)
B10: Ohio State (#6) vs Wisconsin (#14)

Do any of these underdogs have a chance at the top four if they win their conference?

There was so much talk leading up to the institution of the playoff by the old guard of not wanting to devalue the importance of the regular season. I actually think the best way to do that is by really prioritizing the championship game. Want a shot at the playoff, make your championship game.

If all underdogs win the CG''s I'd like to see the one loss Big 12 and the the best 3/4 CG winners. Would be great if Mizzou and the SEC was the odd man out.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby HustlinOwl on Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:02 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Would be great if Mizzou and the SEC was the odd man out.

This would be great, but it's unlikely.

Oregon and FSU would give about anything to not have to play again. Ohio St is loving one more game. TCU and Baylor are two really good teams that may get screwed for no championship game.

The championship game is fucktarded IMO.
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:41 am

HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:

Oregon and FSU would give about anything to not have to play again. Ohio St is loving one more game. TCU and Baylor are two really good teams that may get screwed for no championship game.

There should be a conference championship game in all 5 conferences and the 5 winners should go to the playoff with 3 at large, one to come from the highest ranked top 10-non BCS team, including ND and the academies.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:36 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:

There should be a conference championship game in all 5 conferences and the 5 winners should go to the playoff with 3 at large, one to come from the highest ranked top 10-non BCS team, including ND and the academies.

I used to be a fan of 8, but I actually think it does dilute the regular season too much. And maybe I just don't want to deal with 3 SEC teams in the playoff every year.

6 is the magic number. 5 CCG winners and 1 at large...from any conference (fuck the G5). Top 2 teams get byes. It also means that there is a statistically lower chance of teams having to play 16 games...which the NCAA seems to be against. Player safety and all.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:40 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:

I used to be a fan of 8, but I actually think it does dilute the regular season too much. And maybe I just don't want to deal with 3 or 4 SEC teams in the playoff every year.

6 is the magic number. 5 CCG winners and 1 at large...from any conference (fuck the G5). Top 2 teams get byes. It also means that there is a statistically lower chance of teams having to play 16 games...which the NCAA seems to be against. Player safety and all.

8 makes the conference championships mean more. Makes the season mean more, not less. Would also mean a Georgia Tech and a Wisconsin would be playing not for a huge upset, but for a huge upset for a chance to play for the national title. The 5 championship games become like the first round.

8 is coming.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:43 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:ND's defense is legit.1 Anyone who can't recognize that on an eyeball test is a moron who knows nothing about football. Their receivers and RB are also as good and athletic as any playing college football today. ND's weakness has been its offensive line, which crapped the bed against Stanford and UNC, but completely dominated FSU up front.

That, for me, was the take away from the FSU game. This isn't the 2012 version of ND which essentially got by with a very, very good front seven, the best TE in college football, one excellent 1/2 of an offensive line (the Zach Martin/Chris Watt side of the line) and unfathomable luck. ND was every bit as big, fast and athletic as FSU and what is scarier is that the front seven is all underclassmen/guys with eligibility left.

I don't think Kelly is a great X and Os coach, but he clearly knows how to build a program. He was available--and wanted the job-- when Greaseball selected Spazz. Another thing to be enraged about.

1. Spare me any gnashing of teeth about UNC scoring 43 points. ND turned the ball over 4 times inside its own 20.

This was the post that had me nominate Angry/Dick for asshat of the year. I did my nomination on merit for something from 2014 and not for a lifetime of great achievement.

Below are the scores from the rest of ND's season showing how "legit" their defense was.

11/01/14 vs. Navy TV Landover, Md.
(FedEx Field) W, 49-39
11/08/14 at Arizona State TV Tempe, Ariz. L, 55-31
11/15/14 vs. Northwestern TV Notre Dame, Ind. L, 43-40
11/22/14 vs. Louisville TV Notre Dame, Ind. L, 31-28
11/29/14 at USC TV Los Angeles, Calif. L, 49-14

:ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:29 pm

Of course, you neglect to mention that after that game against Navy they lost their defensive MVP, two DTs (Day and Jones) who will be drafted in the 1st or 2nd round next year, their starting strong safety and their best cb (who is projected to be a second round pick in the upcoming draft). They got one of their DTs back (Day) and their best CB back (Riggs) in time for the bowl game where they handled LSU about as well as anyone who played them. After Navy they started two true freshman on the DL, a true freshman a MLB and a true freshman at strong safety.

You really ought to stick to trying pick off the low hanging fruit in my family--that is more your speed sporto--although, as I think about it, you utterly failed at that as well.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Logitano on Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:33 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Of course, you neglect to mention that after that game against Navy they lost their defensive MVP, two DTs (Day and Jones) who will be drafted in the 1st or 2nd round next year, their starting strong safety and their best cb (who is projected to be a second round pick in the upcoming draft). They got one of their DTs back (Day) and their best CB back (Riggs) in time for the bowl game where they handled LSU about as well as anyone who played them. After Navy they started two true freshman on the DL, a true freshman a MLB and a true freshman at strong safety.

You really ought to stick to trying pick off the low hanging fruit in my family--that is more your speed sporto--although, as I think about it, you utterly failed at that as well.

Thank you for that. Only a true asshat has that much knowledge of Notre Dame especially someone who did not even go there. Your quote about the LSU game will be my 2015 submission.

Auburn 41 LSU 7
Arkansas 17 LSU 0
Notre Dame 31 LSU 28

One of these things is not like the others....

As I think about it you really ought to cheer for Villanova basketball if you are going to take a team from one of your siblings. He was right that Keith Hernandez was much better than Don Mattingly. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:58 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Of course, you neglect to mention that after that game against Navy they lost their defensive MVP, two DTs (Day and Jones) who will be drafted in the 1st or 2nd round next year, their starting strong safety and their best cb (who is projected to be a second round pick in the upcoming draft). They got one of their DTs back (Day) and their best CB back (Riggs) in time for the bowl game where they handled LSU about as well as anyone who played them. After Navy they started two true freshman on the DL, a true freshman a MLB and a true freshman at strong safety.

Thank you for that. Only a true asshat has that much knowledge of Notre Dame especially someone who did not even go there. Your quote about the LSU game will be my 2015 submission.

Auburn 41 LSU 7
Arkansas 17 LSU 0
Notre Dame 31 LSU 28

As I think about it you really ought to cheer for Villanova basketball if you are going to take a team from one of your siblings. He was right that Keith Hernandez was much better than Don Mattingly. :ace

So you're saying Angry Dick sports a shiny ND Starter Jacket?
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:09 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:

Auburn 41 LSU 7
Arkansas 17 LSU 0
Notre Dame 31 LSU 28

God you are stupid. Why not list LSU's offensive output against other SEC luminaries? Because there is a hell of a lot more evidence supporting my position than yours.

As for ND, unlike you, I don't suffer from a massive inferiority complex as it relates to the school. I could have gone there and chose not two--twice, three times if you include law school. As I have said repeatedly, I root for ND unless they are playing BC. Why? Because the school did very well by several of my family members and, like BC they do things the right way. The fact that you are a fervent USC fan speaks volumes about you--none of it good.

Anyway, in an extended family as large as mine I am sure there must be another female relation with mental issues or a drug problem (or both!) who might be available. Why not see if the fourth time is a charm, eh sport.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:13 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:You really ought to stick to trying pick off the low hanging fruit in my family--that is more your speed sporto--although, as I think about it, you utterly failed at that as well.

I have no idea what's going on in this thread. However, with regard to this statement, I think you are either: (a) underestimating the tenacity in which Logi continues to pursue in being your first non-Jewish in-law or (b) overestimating the low-hanging-fruit's judgement.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:44 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

Auburn 41 LSU 7
Arkansas 17 LSU 0
Notre Dame 31 LSU 28

God you are stupid. Why not list LSU's offensive output against other SEC luminaries? Because there is a hell of a lot more evidence supporting my position than yours.

As for ND, unlike you, I don't suffer from a massive inferiority complex as it relates to the school. I could have gone there and chose not two--twice, three times if you include law school. As I have said repeatedly, I root for ND unless they are playing BC. Why? Because the school did very well by several of my family members and, like BC they do things the right way. The fact that you are a fervent USC fan speaks volumes about you--none of it good.

Anyway, in an extended family as large as mine I am sure there must be another female relation with mental issues or a drug problem (or both!) who might be available. Why not see if the fourth time is a charm, eh sport.

What's the thrice comment? Rejecting their JD/MBA program and counting it as two? Can't speak to the JD portion but the ND program is no great shakes. In comparison to BC, sure, but that's not much of a talking point since the grad school at BC sucks outside of the racket that is the MSA program.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:32 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

Auburn 41 LSU 7
Arkansas 17 LSU 0
Notre Dame 31 LSU 28

Crazy in the head = crazy in the bed. :skank
I may be interested... Does she come with a suitable dowry?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:35 pm

hansen, this isn't japan. in toughchester (which is where i assume the duchess or rosenthal resides) dowery does not mean "delicious wang"
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:44 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:hansen, this isn't japan. in toughchester (which is where i assume the duchess or rosenthal resides) dowery does not mean "delicious wang"

no it means "dally"
twballgame9
BC Guy

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium