College Football Playoff Rankings

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

College Football Playoff Rankings

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:55 pm

DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Re: College Football Playoff Rankings

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:56 pm

Imagine if the final rankings had 3 SEC schools. What a uproar their would be.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:56 pm

Two plays from being about 18 on that list
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:22 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Imagine if the final rankings had 3 SEC schools. What a uproar their would be.

This.

It was the worst thing ever and the BCS was a terrible system when Alabama and LSU played for the MNC. Now there is a legitimate possibility of the Football Final Four being ALL from the SEC. :clownshoes
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:33 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Imagine if the final rankings had 3 SEC schools. What a uproar their would be.

This.

It was the worst thing ever and the BCS was a terrible system when Alabama and LSU played for the MNC. Now there is a legitimate possibility of the Football Final Four being ALL from the SEC. :clownshoes

considering two play each other this week and two will likely play each other in the seccg, i don't think there will be 3 or 4 sec teams in the 4 team playoff
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:46 pm

SEC bias aside, I object to any B10 team being rated ahead of any other team with the same record. Specifically, MSU at 8 is crap. They are living off a 20-point loss to Oregon. No effing way they should be ranked ahead of Notre Dame or Baylor or Arizona or KSU or Georgia. The Spartans would be trounced by each and every one of those teams.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:51 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:

This.

considering two play each other this week and two will likely play each other in the seccg, i don't think there will be 3 or 4 sec teams in the 4 team playoff

The problem is that records dont count, they are supposed to use who they think is the "best" team. Like it or not, at least the BCS polls used records. You can conceivably have 3 SEC teams that just beat each other in the top 4 and then the conference champ gets in too.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:14 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:

This.

The problem is that records dont count, they are supposed to use who they think is the "best" team. Like it or not, at least the BCS polls used records. You can conceivably have 3 SEC teams that just beat each other in the top 4 and then the conference champ gets in too.

I don't think its conceivable in any universe.

No way that they would put 4 teams in, just on principle of not pissing off the rest of the nation and making the selection committee a bigger joke than the BCS.

not to mention that human nature would not allow it to happen (outside of bristol/sec mouthbreathing states)
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby 31southst on Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:49 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:SEC bias aside, I object to any B10 team being rated ahead of any other team with the same record. Specifically, MSU at 8 is crap. They are living off a 20-point loss to Oregon. No effing way they should be ranked ahead of Notre Dame or Baylor or Arizona or KSU or Georgia. The Spartans would be trounced by each and every one of those teams.

I don't think it's nearly as clear as you make it out to be. Baylor has one really good win but also gets punished for their atrocious OOC games (when SOS is a stated criteria of the committee). What argument does ND have - their best win is against a 3 loss team? As had been said, if your argument revolves around who and how you lost, you don't have a good argument. Georgia has a good win but one increasingly bad loss.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:22 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:SEC bias aside, I object to any B10 team being rated ahead of any other team with the same record. Specifically, MSU at 8 is crap. They are living off a 20-point loss to Oregon. No effing way they should be ranked ahead of Notre Dame or Baylor or Arizona or KSU or Georgia. The Spartans would be trounced by each and every one of those teams.

I don't think it's nearly as clear as you make it out to be. Baylor has one really good win but also gets punished for their atrocious OOC games (when SOS is a stated criteria of the committee). What argument does ND have - their best win is against a 3 loss team? As had been said, if your argument revolves around who and how you lost, you don't have a good argument. Georgia has a good win but one increasingly bad loss.

The metric I keep hearing brought up is "How good was your loss?" Realistically there probably won't be an undefeated team. Miss St. and FSU maybe, but 3 and 4 are guaranteed to have one loss. So the question for the committee becomes "Did you lose to a 4-4 VT team or an undefeated FSU on a bad call or to a Pac-12 North champ that lost to Arizona?"
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby 31southst on Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:22 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

The metric I keep hearing brought up is "How good was your loss?" Realistically there probably won't be an undefeated team. Miss St. and FSU maybe, but 3 and 4 are guaranteed to have one loss. So the question for the committee becomes "Did you lose to a 4-4 VT team or an undefeated FSU on a bad call or to a Pac-12 North champ that lost to Arizona?"

I agree that is certainly a factor, but it appears to be (and in my mind should be) a lower tier one. The first question is who did you beat and ND doesn't have an answer to that question to this point. Only when that is comparable does the loss come into play.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:34 pm

Could someone tell me the program changing wins MSU has this year that trumps ND's schedule?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:45 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Could someone tell me the program changing wins MSU has this year that trumps ND's schedule?

Nebraska. not great but what ND win is better?
If anyone has a gripe, its Baylor.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:44 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Could someone tell me the program changing wins MSU has this year that trumps ND's schedule?

Wait... Nebraska??? Give me a break. Stanford would beat them by double digits. Nebraska (like the rest of the B10) opted to schedule absolutely no one to go with their POS conference schedule. It's as if Delany had Schiano give a speech at the B14's retreat on how to rise in the rankings by not playing anyone. That conference this year makes the AAC look like they should have an auto bid.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:05 am

i hope a 1 loss mich state team gets in over a 1 loss ND team should it happen. it would encourage ND to join the conference full time
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:24 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:i hope a 1 loss mich state team gets in over a 1 loss ND team should it happen. it would encourage ND to join the conference full time

This is what needs to happen to ND. They need to be ranked 4th in the last week of the season, and then get jumped by a team by virtue of that team winning their conference championship. They keep harping on SOS so maybe GA bats Miss St in the conference championship to jump in there.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby 31southst on Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:47 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Wait... Nebraska??? Give me a break. Stanford would beat them by double digits. Nebraska (like the rest of the B10) opted to schedule absolutely no one to go with their POS conference schedule. It's as if Delany had Schiano give a speech at the B14's retreat on how to rise in the rankings by not playing anyone. That conference this year makes the AAC look like they should have an auto bid.

Could Stanford score double digits?
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:52 am

Notre Dame's best win is a shitty Stanford team. After that, UNC. I agree that MSU's schedule is no better, but they beat Nebraska, still have to beat OSU and win the championship game against what will be either 1 loss Nebraska or 2 loss Wisconsin.

ND is going to have another loss anyway, @ASU looking like a good option, maybe the Ville at home.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:03 am

i think they lose to az state and usc
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:19 am

HJS' man-crush on Everett Golson is understandable, but absent him, that team is pedestrian. He's like the top-10 version of Tyler Murphy - takes the team to a whole other level.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:08 am

ND's defense is legit.1 Anyone who can't recognize that on an eyeball test is a moron who knows nothing about football. Their receivers and RB are also as good and athletic as any playing college football today. ND's weakness has been its offensive line, which crapped the bed against Stanford and UNC, but completely dominated FSU up front.

That, for me, was the take away from the FSU game. This isn't the 2012 version of ND which essentially got by with a very, very good front seven, the best TE in college football, one excellent 1/2 of an offensive line (the Zach Martin/Chris Watt side of the line) and unfathomable luck. ND was every bit as big, fast and athletic as FSU and what is scarier is that the front seven is all underclassmen/guys with eligibility left.

I don't think Kelly is a great X and Os coach, but he clearly knows how to build a program. He was available--and wanted the job-- when Greaseball selected Spazz. Another thing to be enraged about.

1. Spare me any gnashing of teeth about UNC scoring 43 points. ND turned the ball over 4 times inside its own 20.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby EagleDave on Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:20 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:ND's defense is legit.1 Anyone who can't recognize that on an eyeball test is a moron who knows nothing about football. Their receivers and RB are also as good and athletic as any playing college football today. ND's weakness has been its offensive line, which crapped the bed against Stanford and UNC, but completely dominated FSU up front.

That, for me, was the take away from the FSU game. This isn't the 2012 version of ND which essentially got by with a very, very good front seven, the best TE in college football, one excellent 1/2 of an offensive line (the Zach Martin/Chris Watt side of the line) and unfathomable luck. ND was every bit as big, fast and athletic as FSU and what is scarier is that the front seven is all underclassmen/guys with eligibility left.

I don't think Kelly is a great X and Os coach, but he clearly knows how to build a program. He was available--and wanted the job-- when Greaseball selected Spazz. Another thing to be enraged about.

1. Spare me any gnashing of teeth about UNC scoring 43 points. ND turned the ball over 4 times inside its own 20.

This isn't last years Florida State team that beat everyone by a thousand points in one of the most dominating regular seasons of recent memory. Hanging around with the Seminoles puts Notre Dame in a select group called "just about everyone" this season. Bravo. Their only halfway decent win is over a 3-loss Stanford team who's offense couldn't hit water if it fell out of a boat...and even that required them to pull something out of their ass.

The Irish would get humiliated by any of the top 4 in the SEC (read: Miss. State, Bama, Auburn, Ole Miss and probably Georgia too).
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:43 am

I second the idea that FSU is not that good after last night. They too are a paper tiger. That said, most of the top teams are flawed in one way or another.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:17 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I second the idea that FSU is not that good after last night. They too are a paper tiger. That said, most of the top teams are flawed in one way or another.

They aren't as good as last year (which was historically an incredible team). But, I wouldn't call them a paper tiger. Right now, the school at #1 had an OOC schedule composed of Southern Miss, UAB, South Alabama and UTM (University of Tennessee - Martin). UTM has losses already to Central Arkansas, Eastern Kentucky, Southeast Missouri and Jacksonville State. MSU hasn't dominated in any of their SEC games. MSU basically got major props for beating LSU who everyone though was the best team in the nation because they BARELY beat Wisco. On an aside, look at the OOC schedules for all SEC teams... they are comical. Pretty much everyone starts the season with 4-wins.

My point is simply that folks here seem to be buying into the same bias that has 9 SEC teams in the Top 10. MSU (and the rest of the SEC for that matter) has struggled every bit as much as FSU. The difference is that when they struggle, against South Carolina or Tennessee or Arkansas or TAMU (all of whom are terrible this year) they get credit for a tough Ess Eee See win. When FSU struggles against ND, it is PROOF that they aren't as good as their record.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:23 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I second the idea that FSU is not that good after last night. They too are a paper tiger. That said, most of the top teams are flawed in one way or another.

They aren't as good as last year (which was historically an incredible team). But, I wouldn't call them a paper tiger. Right now, the school at #1 had an OOC schedule composed of Southern Miss, UAB, South Alabama and UTM (University of Tennessee - Martin). UTM has losses already to Central Arkansas, Eastern Kentucky, Southeast Missouri and Jacksonville State. MSU hasn't dominated in any of their SEC games. MSU basically got major props for beating LSU who everyone though was the best team in the nation because they BARELY beat Wisco. On an aside, look at the OOC schedules for all SEC teams... they are comical. Pretty much everyone starts the season with 4-wins.

My point is simply that folks here seem to be buying into the same bias that has 9 SEC teams in the Top 10. MSU (and the rest of the SEC for that matter) has struggled every bit as much as FSU. The difference is that when they struggle, against South Carolina or Tennessee or Arkansas or TAMU (all of whom are terrible this year) they get credit for a tough Ess Eee See win. When FSU struggles against ND, it is PROOF that they aren't as good as their record.

I'm judging by my eyes. Last year, FSU was the best team in the country and it was obvious. This year, they are not, and it is obvious.

That said, if they go undefeated, they should be #1 until someone beats them. Trust me, I have no SEC bias. And I certainly don't have a Big10 bias - that conference blows. I'm just noting that ND and FSU aren't that great. If you want to say that there aren't any great teams this year, fine.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:26 am

No team this year looks like FSU last year, basically. And the new system seems as dumb and flawed as the old system.

Why not go back to the days when like 5 teams could claim Nat'l championships? Think of how many banners we could hang for our rankings in the graduation rate standings.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:30 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I'm judging by my eyes. Last year, FSU was the best team in the country and it was obvious. This year, they are not, and it is obvious.

That said, if they go undefeated, they should be #1 until someone beats them. Trust me, I have no SEC bias. And I certainly don't have a Big10 bias - that conference blows. I'm just noting that ND and FSU aren't that great. If you want to say that there aren't any great teams this year, fine.

Yep... I don't think there are any great teams. I just think FSU is no more flawed than the SEC schools they are vying against. And, while I think the SEC is the best conference (and the B10 is the worst... behind AAC), I don't believe they should have as many teams represented in the top of these rankings. I think the P12 and B12 are under-appreciated. My hope is that if there is a 1-loss B12, P12, ACC and SEC school all should be in the playoffs.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:32 am

Agree Big12 is underrated. Jury's out on the PAC12 - Stanford ended up sucking and USC is pedestrian, but Arizona St and Arizona could be really good.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:58 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Yep... I don't think there are any great teams. I just think FSU is no more flawed than the SEC schools they are vying against. And, while I think the SEC is the best conference (and the B10 is the worst... behind AAC), I don't believe they should have as many teams represented in the top of these rankings. I think the P12 and B12 are under-appreciated. My hope is that if there is a 1-loss B12, P12, ACC and SEC school all should be in the playoffs.

disagree about the b10 and aac. the middle and bottom of the aac is comically bad

the b10 is by far the weakest of the p5 though
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HustlinOwl on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:03 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Did the B10 sleep with your wife or something?
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium