Virginia Tech week

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Virginia Tech week

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:57 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:Death, taxes, stupid penalties off timeouts, and now missed PATs. Yay BC!

You can also add winning on the road in the ACC. 3-0.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:59 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:When BC loses this game...

So did BC lose, shithead?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:33 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:When BC loses this game...

So did BC lose, shithead?

we lost because of 3rd down brown (vt was 7-20 on 3rd down) and ryan day (awesome wheel route and 258 rushing yards).
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:33 pm

when are we going to start going for 2 every time?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:34 pm

I think it was one of the BCI guys who pointed out what a bad 2nd half team BC appears to have become. This VT game certainly validates that observation. Makes playing the game to win in the 4th quarter a flawed strategy. Maybe this team has a conditioning problem.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:39 pm

this team is so thin the starting RB is on kick coverage, nearly all the starting secondary is on the punt team

hilliman had a shoulder sprain against wake

also nice to bring out the fresh legs of outlow
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Reverend Mike on Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:41 pm

I'd say that there is some good coaching going on when it comes to dropping passes. I think only McCleary had one clang off his collarbone today.

I was pretty certain that Bordner was going to drop that pass over the middle, but he looked it into his hands all the way. :hokie
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby Iggle on Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:55 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:I think it was one of the BCI guys who pointed out what a bad 2nd half team BC appears to have become. This VT game certainly validates that observation. Makes playing the game to win in the 4th quarter a flawed strategy. Maybe this team has a conditioning problem.

team has 73 scholarship players, and is playing a lot of young guys behind the starters. Part of the second half woes come from a depth problem.
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:14 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:I'd say that there is some good coaching going on when it comes to dropping passes. I think only McCleary had one clang off his collarbone today.

I was pretty certain that Bordner was going to drop that pass over the middle, but he looked it into his hands all the way. :hokie

Definitely. I suspect that after the Clemson loss hands was made a top priority during WR practice. I don't think there were any drops last week and only one this week.

Border in particular. He snagged two tough ones last week and another good one today.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby rktbrkr on Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:33 pm

I think Beamer is a Bobby Bowden lite situation for VPI

Wuffies beat SU in the dome,hopefully AJ Long will still be QB for final game
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:20 pm

rktbrkr {l Wrote}:I think Beamer is a Bobby Bowden lite situation for VPI

Wuffies beat SU in the dome,hopefully AJ Long will still be QB for final game

First ACC win since :toby left town. :kudos :dildodog :kudos
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby talon on Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:57 pm

This is probably a stupid question, but would it have been smart of Tyler Murphy to take a knee at the 1 yard line instead of scoring a TD in the 4th quarter?

There were 3 minutes left on the clock and VT was out of timeouts. With a 1st and goal from the 1, BC could have taken some knees and kicked a field goal on 4th down with a little over a minute left on the game clock.

Is it better to give VT the ball back with no timeouts if they have to score a TD in only 1 minute or if they have to score a TD, successfully execute an on-sides kick and kick a field goal in 3 minutes?

I know VT is a shell of their former selves, but giving Beamer 3:00 still seems like a lot of time.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:22 pm

talon {l Wrote}:This is probably a stupid question, but would it have been smart of Tyler Murphy to take a knee at the 1 yard line instead of scoring a TD in the 4th quarter?

There were 3 minutes left on the clock and VT was out of timeouts. With a 1st and goal from the 1, BC could have taken some knees and kicked a field goal on 4th down with a little over a minute left on the game clock.

Is it better to give VT the ball back with no timeouts if they have to score a TD in only 1 minute or if they have to score a TD, successfully execute an on-sides kick and kick a field goal in 3 minutes?

I know VT is a shell of their former selves, but giving Beamer 3:00 still seems like a lot of time.

With the way we kick FGs, no chance
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:56 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:This is probably a stupid question, but would it have been smart of Tyler Murphy to take a knee at the 1 yard line instead of scoring a TD in the 4th quarter?

With the way we kick FGs, no chance

The way we kick FGs and our red-zone offense. Also, a FG there keeps it a 5-point game.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:21 pm

Dazzler compared Hilliman's shoulder injury to what Andre had last year so there's that

Thought Outlow looked good, obviously different runner but had fresh legs and was tough to bring down.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby basselope on Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:12 pm

The only scenario that you do that is if you are sure you can line up in Victory formation and run out the clock.
basselope
Campion Hall

Postby ClubMed93 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:34 am

A few observations (putting aside the brilliance of TM):

Daz's blocking schemes are a beautiful thing. The man understands power football, perhaps better than anyone. All 9 guys (or 10, if TM is running) are utilized and moved around like pieces on a chess board.

Speaking of those pieces, Callinan I think can be a good player for us. He needs to not fall down after every catch, but his blocking, and commitment to it, is fantastic. Check out the crackback block he laid on the safety that sprung Willis for 69. Superb play design and execution.

The Alston wheel route would have been a TD except for the fact that the weakside safety read the play and started tracking Alston from the outset. What can you do.

Love Outlow. Can do lots of different things. Needs more touches.
ClubMed93
Carney Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:13 am

Nice TD run by Myles Willis. Kid has some wheels as he outran the entire secondary.

It was good to see Outlow involved as well, he has a nice spin move and has good hands. This type of rotation at the tailback keeps everyone fresh and gives the defenses different looks as each back brings a little something different to the table. I like it.

Murphy continues to amaze me. VT mostly had between 6 and 8 in the box, so the play action is going to be there whenever you call it. I would like to see it used a little bit more often.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:14 am

I think we are all so annoyed from the missed xp (Launceford) but Howell's clutch longish FG turned out to be a big deal and he got some redemption for it. His punts were very good early too obviously.

Kicking will continue to play a huge role going forward. Anyone know what Knoll's situation is? Coming back soon?
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:30 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:Fuck you pussy ass bitches. Go eagles.
VT is not good.

Much like your posts.
Let's ignore the complete ineptitude of our coaching staff because we're barely beating a mediocre team. Am I doing it right?

Nailed it. VT isn't even mediocre

Do you follow recruiting rankings? BC was at or near the bottom of the ACC for about three years in a row. VT has more talent and was favored at home.

Other than the na na na na na nah of arguing which coordinator did more dumb stuff (essential HJS v. the board) Militant' indignant cry "Do you follow recruiting rankings?" has to be the moment of this thread, now that I have read it all.

Good win in a tough road stadium against an absolutely shitty football team.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:37 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:
VT is not good.

Much like your posts.
Let's ignore the complete ineptitude of our coaching staff because we're barely beating a mediocre team. Am I doing it right?

Do you follow recruiting rankings? BC was at or near the bottom of the ACC for about three years in a row. VT has more talent and was favored at home.

Other than the na na na na na nah of arguing which coordinator did more dumb stuff (essential HJS v. the board) Militant' indignant cry "Do you follow recruiting rankings?" has to be the moment of this thread, now that I have read it all.

Eepstein was foaming at the mouth with retardedness in this thread.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:39 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:
VT is not good.

Much like your posts.

Eepstein was foaming at the mouth with retardedness in this thread.

I only half pay attention to his irrational negativity masked as realistic analysis. Even HJS actually likes the team.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:07 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:
VT is not good.

Much like your posts.

Crying is what you typically do in every game thread. WAHHH! Ryan Day doesn't get 80 yards on every play. WAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

FYI - 33 points was the most points VT has given up this year. And the game was at VT, when they had a couple of extra days to prepare.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:32 pm

There appeared to be plenty of empty seats on TV
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:54 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:There appeared to be plenty of empty seats on TV

According to their message boards, lowest attendance for VT since 1998
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:55 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

VT has better talent. DONT YOU READ RECRUITING RANKINGS!

Militant has always been one of my favorite posters.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby rktbrkr on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:42 am

team has 73 scholarship players, and is playing a lot of young guys behind the starters. Part of the second half woes come from a depth problem.

NCAA allows 85 scholarships,right? So BC is operating with a self imposed scholarship reduction like what was imposed on Miami, USC and Ped State for various reasons?

There were some guys who left with little advance notice but a 12 player shortfall couldn't have happened overnight. There must have been some serviceable JUCOs out there.

There are about 30 seniors and grads on the team, 15GS and 14SR, if 23 of them have used up their eligibility then they'll have 35 slots for incoming players if they go to full 85? (assuming the 73 number above is correct). Don't know how many connections Dazz has left at Florida but Murphy has played himself into NFL draft consideration - which is a hell of a lot better than Arena or Euro football and a great selling point for any Florida remainders. These 3 FL backups have stepped right into key starting positions at BC, hope Dazz can mine s'more

Harris Williams should be eligible for a 6th year and only returning starting OL. Swigert too but I think he's finished for college FB.
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:04 am

rktbrkr {l Wrote}:team has 73 scholarship players, and is playing a lot of young guys behind the starters. Part of the second half woes come from a depth problem.

I count 78 (includes former walkons Jay & Burke).
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:12 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

VT has better talent. DONT YOU READ RECRUITING RANKINGS!

Militant has always been one of my favorite posters.

The feeling is mutual. Your adversarial nature knows no bounds.

Let me know how many BC players will be drafted in 2015. But oh wait, let me guess, that probably doesn't mean anything.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:25 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
rktbrkr {l Wrote}:team has 73 scholarship players, and is playing a lot of young guys behind the starters. Part of the second half woes come from a depth problem.

I count 78 (includes former walkons Jay & Burke).

FWIW I think when he cites that 73 number he's deducting guys lost to injury
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy