Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. Wake Forest - 10/25/2014

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. Wake Forest - 10/25/2014

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:39 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:chip has PLENTY of offensive talent

day does not have much defensive talent

this is obvious to anybody who is not blind

Yup. 18th in country on d too
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:50 pm

Day is an enigma.
Sometimes he comes up with great play calls out of interesting formations; othertimes he looks like a high school JV coach. I can't figure him out.

Brown's system is frustrating at times (with the blitzing every down) when it doesn't work but I've seen the results this year when we drop into full coverage and it's not pretty. CSU game is a harsh reminder of this. So, I guess we are left with few options on defense this year.

Regardless, the results have been generally positive this year even if the games haven't all been pretty. We are 5-3 going into November. We have a good chance to split the next four and finish at 7-5. Not bad for a rebuilding year.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:01 pm

Brown has done a good overall job. His inability to stop any post or crossing pattern is still worthy of scorn. Day has such talent on offensve that the point production is a sin. No two ways about it.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:06 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Day is an enigma.
Sometimes he comes up with great play calls out of interesting formations; othertimes he looks like a high school JV coach. I can't figure him out.

Brown's system is frustrating at times (with the blitzing every down) when it doesn't work but I've seen the results this year when we drop into full coverage and it's not pretty. CSU game is a harsh reminder of this. So, I guess we are left with few options on defense this year.

Regardless, the results have been generally positive this year even if the games haven't all been pretty. We are 5-3 going into November. We have a good chance to split the next four and finish at 7-5. Not bad for a rebuilding year.

That's great in a vacuum. On the field they should be 7 & 1. That's on the o.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Iggle on Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:16 pm

it seems like the expectation is that unless the D is absolutely dominant, it's bad. The talent is not there, but the D has definitely been getting the job done.
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby BCdee on Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:49 pm

I really hope next year is our last rebuilding year.

Glad we got the win....that was waaaaaay too close. The second half sucked. But, a win is a win is a win! 5 and 3 baby! :elephant
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:07 pm

BCdee {l Wrote}:

Glad we got the win....that was waaaaaay too close. The second half sucked. But, a win is a win is a win! 5 and 3 baby! :elephant

Year 3 is not a rebuilding year. At that point it is Daz's roster. In BC history and at most programs Year 3 is the best indicator of what you can expect long-term.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:03 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
BCdee {l Wrote}:

Year 3 is not a rebuilding year. At that point it is Daz's roster. In BC history and at most programs Year 3 is the best indicator of what you can expect long-term.

With an untested sophomore quarterback? I give him slack due to the complete and utter sham the program was when he took over. I also think it's unfair to place high expectations on an inexperienced So qb. Every situation is different and the circumstances should mean that year 3 be considered the final rebuild year. If not rebuild the final building(?) year before the what we see is what we get mentality should take over.

7/8 wins next year and I'm thrilled

This. 5 new OL and a sophomore QB could be rough
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby JConman on Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:01 pm

I think that Daz is by nature very conservative. I think he reigns Day in at times.
JConman
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:25 pm

JConman {l Wrote}:

I think that Daz is by nature very conservatiyve. I think he reigns Day in at times.

Ha.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby rktbrkr on Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:28 pm

This. 5 new OL and a sophomore QB could be rough

Maybe Williams will come back so maybe only 4 new OL but none of the 5 graduating starters is NFL draft material. This OL plays well against weak DLs but gets chewed up by talented DLs.

Maybe we can get s'more grad students from U FL to buck things up again.
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Postby rktbrkr on Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:39 pm

Beating Wake by 6 is pretty f'ugly

I see 2 definite losses. If they lose to VT they will probably close out with a 4 game losing streak esp if SU QB is back
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:58 pm

rktbrkr {l Wrote}:Beating Wake by 6 is pretty f'ugly

I see 2 definite losses. If they lose to VT they will probably close out with a 4 game losing streak esp if SU QB is back

Shut the fuck up.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagletx on Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:58 pm

Second half was an abomination on both sides of the ball. And the BC secondary is as bad as I have ever witnessed, and I've witnessed some pretty miserable secondaries.

Whoever suggested that Das reigns in the offense at times may be on to something. Either that or Day is a total chicken shut, land that's on Das as well. There is no rational reason why BC should not have run that team into the ground. That was a terribly managed game in the second half!
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:26 pm

I think we all know the announcers were leaning pretty heavily Wake Forest at the end there, but can we talk a minute about hie they compared us to Ivan fucking Drago at the end. And called Wake Forest Rocky? WTF
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:31 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:I think we all know the announcers were leaning pretty heavily Wake Forest at the end there, but can we talk a minute about hie they compared us to Ivan fucking Drago at the end. And called Wake Forest Rocky? WTF

Seriously... Wake should have been the iron sheik to our sgt slaughter.
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:35 pm

rktbrkr {l Wrote}:Beating Wake by 6 is pretty f'ugly

You are fucking lost.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Bunratty on Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:47 pm

Iggle {l Wrote}:it seems like the expectation is that unless the D is absolutely dominant, it's bad. The talent is not there, but the D has definitely been getting the job done.

The D has done jackshit. I don't give a rats ass about rankings, they cannot get off the field on 3rd and long (or short) and they can't stop a crossing pattern if they were given the diagram in advance. They have caught a break going against The Clempson backup and couldn't even stop Wake's true frosh. Dominant? How about fucktarding stopping Wake - the LAST ranked offense in the fucking nation?
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:47 pm

Vt sucks. So does cuse
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:48 pm

Bunratty {l Wrote}:
Iggle {l Wrote}:it seems like the expectation is that unless the D is absolutely dominant, it's bad. The talent is not there, but the D has definitely been getting the job done.

The D has done jackshit. I don't give a rats ass about rankings, they cannot get off the field on 3rd and long (or short) and they can't stop a crossing pattern if they were given the diagram in advance. They have caught a break going against The Clempson backup and couldn't even stop Wake's true frosh. Dominant? How about fucktarding stopping Wake - the LAST ranked offense in the fucking nation?

You are a fucking moron.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:50 pm

if were underdogs by more than a field goal against VT i will be pounding the points
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:46 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Vt sucks. So does cuse

Again, Louisville also wants no part of coming up here.

Those teams do suck, but we're not awesome either.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:59 am

Bunratty {l Wrote}:

It was a tale of two halves. BC played flawless on both sides of the ball. Just dominated Wake. Second half the D went into total fail mode and was bailed-out by that 4-play passing drive that resulted in a missed extra point.

BC's D (which has all the experience on this team outside of OL) was supposed to carry the team this year. It has during wins and hasn't during losses. It runs hot and cold intragame. Teams have largely helped us by trying to run. Clawson went to the air in the second half and we were toast. What's troubling is that Wake's O is the worst in the ACC and yet they rolled 300 2nd half yards. That is today's concern (along with the kicking game)... despite the considerable internet warrioring efforts Vinnie and teddy spend trying to defend the best Umass DC evah.

Ultimately, Don Brown's D LOOK very different than Spaz's. However, both have the same end... stop the run, prevent the deep ball and sacrifice the short-and-mid-range passes. Spaz's D was better at getting turnovers, Brown's D is better at getting sacks. Both have trouble getting off the field on 3rd down (especially 3rd and long). Both are willing to give up yards, field position and time of possession (thus having a bend don't break aspect).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:45 am

catching up several thoughts:

1) agree with siriuz, i like the ty meer addition.
2) to mj's looking solely at brown's D at BC want to see him with some more talent.
3) a win is a win, compared to last year this team is light years ahead on the road
4) re next year, I assume Daz will bring in some more 5th years to fill questions...esp on oline
5) my favorite moment daz yelling at the ref on the first drive after the illegal formation call: what the fuck are you doing
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:03 am

At this point in the season, I guess I have to forget about style points, and only focus on W's and L's,
Since its pretty clear what this team is all about. One more W most likely at VT or the 'Cuse and we are bowl eligible.

Who else immediately saw that butchered PAT and thought it would come back to haunt?
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:15 am

i love how somehow experience = talent.

the defense is indeed very experienced. that doesn't make it talented.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:05 am

It's definitely frustrating to watch BC give up third downs on defense because they lack the talent to cover anyone and the blitz can't cover the talent deficiencies every time. It's not as frustrating as not burying a team with the offense when you have a chance and plenty of talent to do so.

Brown didn't get the defense equivalent of the best running QB in the country, nor are any of his frosh as big in terms of impact players as Hilliman and Alston and Outlow have been. And as all have mentioned, especially HJS, the one position that Spaz actually left some talent and depth was the O-Line.

The reason I crap on the O and give the D a pass is that the D is actually playing better with far less talent. Yes, they are infuriating at times when they don't blitz and guys run free all over the place, or they don't get to the QB and guys run all over the place, but overall, it's been pretty good. Good enough that they probably should be 6-2 or 7-1 right now, despite any deficiencies.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:06 am

On another note, Kavalec and Landry are going to be nasty next year. D-Line could be really good.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:18 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:i love how somehow experience = talent.

the defense is indeed very experienced. that doesn't make it talented.

I love how very experienced = talent when discussing the offense but not the D.

I'll sum up all of vinnyballgame's numerous posts in one:

Offense has all the talent. Just look at all the 5th years on the OLine. Whereas, Brown is working miracles with terrible Spaz talent that has been playing the same roles under Spaz.

They need to get the ball the hands of Alston. Fucking Day... Why would you ever call a flanker screen? Yeah really surprised folks with that sweep. You suck!

We have one of the greatest stable of RBs we've ever had. Why the fuck is Day handing the ball to Hilliman again? Why is Rouse in the game? Now we know why Outlow doesn't see much PT. Effing Willis can't hold onto the ball or break a tackle. Why does Day have him out there? He should be sitting next to Rouse on the bench. Give the ball exclusively to the freshmen.

Our OLine is the strength of the team. Why the fuck is Day trying to run the ball between the tackles? [Note: I find it particularly comical when vinnyballgame complains up where we run the ball. 90% of our runs are off the option. Murph's reading of the D often determines if the run is inside or outside. For the record, despite being collateral damage of the idiots' complaints, I think he has a damn good job managing our run game this year.]

You have to mix it up on offense. Why the fuck are we attempting to pass when we know we don't have receivers who can catch?

You got to give Brown a pass. He doesn't have DBs who can play football. You have to give him time to get his guys into the program. This is how bad Day sucks... he plays experienced WRs who can't catch. For fucksake... put in the goddamn sickly talented frosh WRs. Anything is better!

Again, for the record, I hated the Day hire, but think he's done pretty well adjusting the offense around the talent (though I'm sure Daz has a lot of influence on both the good and bad of the O). I loved the Brown hire but have been underwhelmed (mainly because he hasn't adjusted around his talent). I also, for the record (unlike ATL and vinnyballgame), want neither to be head coach after Daz. I just find the arguments against Day and excuses for Brown to be EA-level duplicitous. Then again, I shouldn't be surprised given the liberal Dem supporters posting them.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:20 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:It's definitely frustrating to watch BC give up third downs on defense because they lack the talent to cover anyone and the blitz can't cover the talent deficiencies every time. It's not as frustrating as not burying a team with the offense when you have a chance and plenty of talent to do so.

Brown didn't get the defense equivalent of the best running QB in the country, nor are any of his frosh as big in terms of impact players as Hilliman and Alston and Outlow have been. And as all have mentioned, especially HJS, the one position that Spaz actually left some talent and depth was the O-Line.

The reason I crap on the O and give the D a pass is that the D is actually playing better with far less talent. Yes, they are infuriating at times when they don't blitz and guys run free all over the place, or they don't get to the QB and guys run all over the place, but overall, it's been pretty good. Good enough that they probably should be 6-2 or 7-1 right now, despite any deficiencies.

I just want to say I didn't read this until after my post. But, it's timing was perfect and it's predictability IB-esque. Thanks.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium