Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. Wake Forest - 10/25/2014

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. Wake Forest - 10/25/2014

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:28 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:It's definitely frustrating to watch BC give up third downs on defense because they lack the talent to cover anyone and the blitz can't cover the talent deficiencies every time. It's not as frustrating as not burying a team with the offense when you have a chance and plenty of talent to do so.

Brown didn't get the defense equivalent of the best running QB in the country, nor are any of his frosh as big in terms of impact players as Hilliman and Alston and Outlow have been. And as all have mentioned, especially HJS, the one position that Spaz actually left some talent and depth was the O-Line.

The reason I crap on the O and give the D a pass is that the D is actually playing better with far less talent. Yes, they are infuriating at times when they don't blitz and guys run free all over the place, or they don't get to the QB and guys run all over the place, but overall, it's been pretty good. Good enough that they probably should be 6-2 or 7-1 right now, despite any deficiencies.

I just want to say I didn't read this until after my post. But, it's timing was perfect and it's predictability IB-esque. Thanks.

I'll give you credit, you are trying hard. Like the kid trying to get over the first step of the shortbus.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:31 am

PS, Don Brown gets a pass because the defense is actually performing well despite having Sean Sylvia getting snaps. Thanks again, how many points did Clemson, NCSU , Wake and CSU score again?

The only bad defensive game all year was Pitt. That is all. Score more.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:34 am

13th in the country in team scoring defense, 18.8 a game. 8th in the country in total defense, less than 300 a game. Not all of that is scheme (bad opponents contributed), and TOP on the other side of the ball has helped, but it is what it is.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:09 am

hjs, since this didn't get attention in the other games thread what was the story on carroo's recruitment? seemed like every baby rapists and northeast program was in on him
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:42 am

i didn't read beyond your first line moj (write less), but i don't think the offense is exceptionally talented. its just better than the defense and more importantly, clearly has one of the better running qbs in the country.

not to mention the talent i speak of on the offense (while the line is decent) lies in the playmakers who are largely underclassmen.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:44 am

as an aside to this slap fight, adaziani deserves all the credit in the world for bringing murphy in.

he really hasn't gotten enough credit for it.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:23 pm

Murphy and Alston. BC had no speed last year, but #2 & #6 ran past the entire SC defense, their biggest win in several years. If they can get Shakim Phillips going they will be able to stretch the field. Addazio is doing a great job finding players, BC better pay him and not lose him.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:21 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:13th in the country in team scoring defense, 18.8 a game. 8th in the country in total defense, less than 300 a game. Not all of that is scheme (bad opponents contributed), and TOP on the other side of the ball has helped, but it is what it is.

And what it is... is talented players on the defensive side of the ball. I fucking hate that, in typical EA fashion, vinnyballgame feel the need to shit on the players in order to protect a 65 year old making 500k to coach football. Fucking throw a towel over Donnie's shoulder and vinnyballgame might as well be oldbaldeagle.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:26 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:PS, Don Brown gets a pass because the defense is actually performing well despite having Sean Sylvia getting snaps. Thanks again, how many points did Clemson, NCSU , Wake and CSU score again?

The only bad defensive game all year was Pitt. That is all. Score more.

For a little perspective... Clemson scored more points at BC than they just did at home against Cuse.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:27 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:hjs, since this didn't get attention in the other games thread what was the story on carroo's recruitment? seemed like every baby rapists and northeast program was in on him

Schiano was at the height of his rapists skills and cleaned up at Bosco and had all the nj recruits thinking of all the championships they can bring back to nj.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:34 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:hjs, since this didn't get attention in the other games thread what was the story on carroo's recruitment? seemed like every baby rapists and northeast program was in on him

Schiano was at the height of his rapists skills and cleaned up at Bosco and had all the nj recruits thinking of all the championships they can bring back to nj.

Caroo wanted to stay home. I'm too lazy to look, but wasn't Caroo part of the Hamilton recruiting class where the gave Flood the job to keep it together?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby StratEagle on Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:18 pm

Put the agendas aside. Day and Brown both stink.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:23 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:13th in the country in team scoring defense, 18.8 a game. 8th in the country in total defense, less than 300 a game. Not all of that is scheme (bad opponents contributed), and TOP on the other side of the ball has helped, but it is what it is.

And what it is... is talented players on the defensive side of the ball. I fucking hate that, in typical EA fashion, vinnyballgame feel the need to shit on the players in order to protect a 65 year old making 500k to coach football. Fucking throw a towel over Donnie's shoulder and vinnyballgame might as well be oldbaldeagle.

I also hate facts sometimes.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:34 pm

boys have penises girls have vaginas
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby 31southst on Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:23 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:if were underdogs by more than a field goal against VT i will be pounding the points

Looks like we opened as a 5.5 point dog.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby mod6A on Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:24 pm

just got back from WS.

some random thoughts:

- hey their stadium is smaller then ours.

- there was a decent bc crowd there.

- girls in sundresses and cowboy boots

- they have a beer garden inside the stadium. spent most of the 3rd quarter there.

- you can get 3 season tickets to sit on that hill in the endzone for 120$ total. seemed like a good deal?

- their fans were nice, had a "we are what we are" type vibe going on.

- did not see tre :tophat or tre's brother. :tophat :tophat

:whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:57 pm

mod6A {l Wrote}:just got back from WS.

:whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants

Did you shop at Wallmart or dine at a Golden Coral?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:55 pm

We have major talent problems at DB. This is why the 3rd down defense stinks. The freshman Moore and Yiadom have promise.

There are also major talent problems at WR which causes a 1 dimensional offense.

HJS's agenda is stupid considering the DBs we have. Teddy's agenda against Day is stupid because Day doesn't have a single good WR.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:12 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:We have major talent problems at DB. This is why the 3rd down defense stinks. The freshman Moore and Yiadom have promise.

There are also major talent problems at WR which causes a 1 dimensional offense.

HJS's agenda is stupid considering the DBs we have. Teddy's agenda against Day is stupid because Day doesn't have a single good WR.

Totally agree we have deficiencies at DB, but I think more of the issues on 3rd down are a result of scheme. More of the conversions are coming over the middle of the field, where the LBs should be (a position we have some depth on paper). CSU exploited it the worst, but most of the teams that have hurt BC start with crossing patterns which are always open. I personally think, on a whole, considering the personel, that BC had played OK in the secondary (mainly because I thought it would be a blood bath this year)

Where scheme comes into it, is that the DL cant generate pressure on their own. As a result, Brown has to bring LB on the blitz to get to the qb, leaving the middle of the field open, which then makes a quick drop/throw an easy completion. When BC had a dominant DL that was able to generate pressure on its own (the Raji years) then the LB's could drop in coverage and take the middle position out of play.

I think the main complaint is that Brown goes at 1 speed, and any OC can pick it up and exploit it, regardless of talent (as Wake showed). There is no diversification throughout the game and little adjustment when teams start hitting the middle. Obv the DL has just as many deficiencies as the defensive backfield (thanks to spaz), but untill they can generate pressure on their own (which on an aside, they are obv very good against the run) Brown is going to continue to evacuate the middle of the field in an attempt to create pressure, and any remotely competent QB is going to hit that pass all day
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:08 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
mod6A {l Wrote}:just got back from WS.

Did you shop at Wallmart or dine at a Golden Coral?

I was traveling but my wife was at the game in black and gold. Third down brown giving up in the second half is gonna cost me at home.

I was in heavy contact with her and her deac coworkers during the first half but my cell service seemed to disappear in the second half
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:55 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:We have major talent problems at DB. This is why the 3rd down defense stinks. The freshman Moore and Yiadom have promise.

Totally agree we have deficiencies at DB, but I think more of the issues on 3rd down are a result of scheme. More of the conversions are coming over the middle of the field, where the LBs should be (a position we have some depth on paper). CSU exploited it the worst, but most of the teams that have hurt BC start with crossing patterns which are always open. I personally think, on a whole, considering the personel, that BC had played OK in the secondary (mainly because I thought it would be a blood bath this year)

Where scheme comes into it, is that the DL cant generate pressure on their own. As a result, Brown has to bring LB on the blitz to get to the qb, leaving the middle of the field open, which then makes a quick drop/throw an easy completion. When BC had a dominant DL that was able to generate pressure on its own (the Raji years) then the LB's could drop in coverage and take the middle position out of play.

I think the main complaint is that Brown goes at 1 speed, and any OC can pick it up and exploit it, regardless of talent (as Wake showed). There is no diversification throughout the game and little adjustment when teams start hitting the middle. Obv the DL has just as many deficiencies as the defensive backfield (thanks to spaz), but untill they can generate pressure on their own (which on an aside, they are obv very good against the run) Brown is going to continue to evacuate the middle of the field in an attempt to create pressure, and any remotely competent QB is going to hit that pass all day

I think a lot of what you wrote has validity. Except that I think our DL is pretty damn good. KK, Landry and Woj are excellent. Saine has played well too. DL, LB and OL are the strengths of this team (along with Murphy).

I too agree that the crossing patterns killing us is a scheme issue. That said, it should be noted that we've been victimized by those routes even when we haven't blitzed (CSU comes to mind). The backers almost seem like they are inexperienced with playing zone in pass coverage. A lot of bad spacing and poor communication. It's bizarre because that's not something that's really changed from Spaz to Brown.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:35 am

hoffses at EA posted something interesting, opposing teams running the ball nearly 47% of the time against us which is 18th highest in the nation

doesn't make sense based off our personnel / scheme and it's not like we've played a triple option team to skew the #s
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:32 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:hoffses at EA posted something interesting, opposing teams running the ball nearly 47% of the time against us which is 18th highest in the nation

doesn't make sense based off our personnel / scheme and it's not like we've played a triple option team to skew the #s

Maybe its general scheme for the opposing coaches. Of the QBs, we've played, who would you trust (in general) to air it out as an offensive game plan? Kessler, and I think that's it.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:14 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:hoffses at EA posted something interesting, opposing teams running the ball nearly 47% of the time against us which is 18th highest in the nation

Maybe its general scheme for the opposing coaches. Of the QBs, we've played, who would you trust (in general) to air it out as an offensive game plan? Kessler, and I think that's it.

but remember that every guy that gets under center against us is matt ryan in an opponent's jersey
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:29 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

but remember that every guy that gets under center against us is matt ryan in an opponent's jersey

As Bobby Wolford little brother showed in the second half last week...

I think Onyx is right in that we haven't faced anyone outside of Kessler who a coaching staff would trust throwing the ball. I also understand teams probably throw-on the Pitt tape and think they can run roughshod over us. That said, with video also available of the second halves of CSU and Wake (and the winning Clemson drive), I'd be shocked if teams still keep trying to run on us.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:22 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

Wait, what? It's thew same players that played crappy under spaz, minus a guy on the Seahawks and a guy on the Bears (who shockingly played a ton yesterday).
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:24 pm

My agenda with Day has little to do with passing. I actually think they pass just about right.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:37 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

As Bobby Wolford little brother showed in the second half last week...

I think Onyx is right in that we haven't faced anyone outside of Kessler who a coaching staff would trust throwing the ball. I also understand teams probably throw-on the Pitt tape and think they can run roughshod over us. That said, with video also available of the second halves of CSU and Wake (and the winning Clemson drive), I'd be shocked if teams still keep trying to run on us.

If that kid gets an OL, i think he is going to be a star.
I was impressed with him; despite being under constant duress the whole game, he showed some serious promise.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium