Future Scheduling Question

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Future Scheduling Question

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:14 am

Fordham?

Sorry, Wake week is boring if you're not into Riley Skinner and Photoshop...
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Re: Future Scheduling Question

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:18 am

And by the way, at the risk of getting too whalepants-ish, how great is the 2018 home schedule looking!

- Clemson
- Louisville
- Miami
- Syracuse
- UMass
- Holy Cross

If the Master can work a good Power Five OOC home game into that one...sweet.

:screamyeagle :screamyeagle :screamyeagle
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:19 am

i definitely see that happening within the next 10 years as their transformation to full scholarships will be complete.

well have to have an eo lounge and an honorary fordham law school section in the upper endzone.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:21 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:i definitely see that happening within the next 10 years as their transformation to full scholarships will be complete.

well have to have an eo lounge and an honorary fordham law school section in the upper endzone.

I think scheduling it is a given. With the alumnia base in New York, do we consider a home and "home" at one of the NYC pro stadiums?
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby talon on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:25 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
I think scheduling it is a given. With the alumnia base in New York, do we consider a home and "home" at one of the NYC pro stadiums?

I don't like baseball stadiums being used for non-baseball sports. Met Life is too big.

Red Bull Arena or the upcoming NYCFC stadium might work.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:27 am

talon {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

I don't like baseball stadiums being used for non-baseball sports. Met Life is too big.

never gonna happen unless its yankee stadium and never gonna happen in general.

road games (with few exceptions) going forward are going to have to be saved for power conference teams.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:38 am

Holy Cross would have players with their lives in serious jeopardy if they played BC right now, scholarships or no.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:23 pm

I'm sure that if Fordham continues to improve each year and once they are all scholarship they will find their way onto our schedule.

We can have the EO reception at the Gabelli School of Business.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:27 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

RBA can hold ~25k. isn't the minumim for D1A 30k or more?

Upcoming NYCFC stadium?!?! That''ll be the day...
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby fs33 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:22 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:And by the way, at the risk of getting too whalepants-ish, how great is the 2018 home schedule looking!

- Clemson
- Louisville
- Miami
- Syracuse
- UMass
- Holy Cross

Oregon? http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/texas-am-aggies-opt-out-home-and-home-series-oregon-ducks-2018-19-102314
fs33
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:28 am

fs33 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:And by the way, at the risk of getting too whalepants-ish, how great is the 2018 home schedule looking!

- Clemson
- Louisville
- Miami
- Syracuse
- UMass
- Holy Cross

Oregon? http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/texas-am-aggies-opt-out-home-and-home-series-oregon-ducks-2018-19-102314

A&M quickly filled their spot with Clemson
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:25 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
fs33 {l Wrote}:

- Clemson
- Louisville
- Miami
- Syracuse
- UMass
- Holy Cross

Looks like A&M and Oregon fell apart because both teams are intent on maintaining 7 home games. A&M needed an extra home game in '18 and Oregon wouldn't switch, because Oregon has 5 Pac-12 road games in even years. So the Ducks also need home a home OOC game in '18.

Guess we can rule out Oregon in rounding out that beautiful '18 schedule...
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:44 pm

don't we still have 2 open spaces to fill out in the 15 schedule? ool
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby EagleDave on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:08 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
fs33 {l Wrote}:

- Clemson
- Louisville
- Miami
- Syracuse
- UMass
- Holy Cross

Looks like A&M and Oregon fell apart because both teams are intent on maintaining 7 home games. A&M needed an extra home game in '18 and Oregon wouldn't switch, because Oregon has 5 Pac-12 road games in even years. So the Ducks also need home a home OOC game in '18.

Guess we can rule out Oregon in rounding out that beautiful '18 schedule...

Why? Who cares if we have to travel to play them. I'd rather that then host some shitbag FCS team like Maine again.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:14 pm

Bored and decided to annoy the regulars here with the age old taboo subject: renewing the UConn series.

Boston College should 100% schedule UConn for a significant future series.

My preferred scheduling arrangement would be inspired by the Marshall-WVU arrangement in the late 90's (which took the governor's assistance to pull off by the way): a conditional 4 game series with BC guaranteed 2 home games, UConn guaranteed 1 home game, and the 4th home game determined by the results of the first 3 games. This is based on the fact that there is no way BC can afford to schedule a straight up home-and-home with UConn and maintain 7 home games while also scheduling baby rapists (and nor should we ever condescend to schedule a home and home with UConn), and that UConn would likely balk at a straight 2:1. This leaves UConn the hope of winning the rights for a 2:2 split, but almost certainly BC walking away with a 3:1 split.

I'm fully aware of all the reasons not to schedule UConn. But consider all the reasons to schedule UConn:
1. Easy win. BC could play UConn 10 straight years and I would be fairly confident we'd walk away with 10 straight wins.
2. Good for New England. We're recruiting Connecticut heavily and playing UConn should help build the fence.
3. Beats the Howards of the world. Or for that matter the N. Illinois' and the New Mexico States. UConn as the 3rd best OOC game has more appeal.
4. By extension: sell tickets. This would be an almost guaranteed 30K+ attendance, maybe even 35K+, maybe even 40K+. Regardless of the number, it would be an above average draw and certainly better than a lot of other G5 garbage. If UConn ever had a decent year and rediscovered their fan base they might even bring upwards of 10K and yield a sellout.
5. Again, fill the home slate. I imagine we could get at least 2:1, if not a shot at a 3:1 described above, though that's probably a pipe dream.

In the ideal scheduling format, UConn fits.
- baby rapists
- P5 punching bag (Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, Vandy, etc).
- Interesting G5 (UConn, UMass, Hawaii)
- FCS (Holy Cross, Fordham, Maine, UNH, URI, Georgetown)
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:26 pm

It would have to be 2 at BC and 1 at Gillette. I don't see BC playing at UConn due to the problems in the parking lots and stands amongst the fans. Also, BC can get as many 2 for 1's from UMass who will arguably be a better team than UConn in a couple of years with Whipple.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:35 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:It would have to be 2 at BC and 1 at Gillette. I don't see BC playing at UConn due to the problems in the parking lots and stands amongst the fans. Also, BC can get as many 2 for 1's from UMass who will arguably be a better team than UConn in a couple of years with Whipple.

Are you trying to fill my bingo card?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:36 pm

1. Why not let a program die?
2. If we let the program die we no longer have to compete against said program for recruits
3. i will agree with. but we have a lot more to lose in a game against uconn than we do in a game vs NIU or NMSU
4. we didn't sell out a top 10 USC at home this year. a good product, not the opponent, will bring fans on a permanent basis.
5. i highly doubt we could get 3:1. if its 2:1 then they are no different than a MAC school

uconn football is costing the state of connecticut over 10 million a year. this charade of a program will not be lasting much longer.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:50 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:I don't see BC playing at UConn due to the problems in the parking lots and stands amongst the fans.

I assure you this has zero bearing on if/when/where these games are ever played.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:54 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:I don't see BC playing at UConn due to the problems in the parking lots and stands amongst the fans.

I assure you this has zero bearing on if/when/where these games are ever played.

mongo of the day
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:12 pm

an annual beat down from BC would do more to put UConn football out of its misery than not playing them. And it looks better than Howard. I guess we should be thankful Sarah Lawrence doesn't have a football team.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:20 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:1. Why not let a program die?
2. If we let the program die we no longer have to compete against said program for recruits
3. i will agree with. but we have a lot more to lose in a game against uconn than we do in a game vs NIU or NMSU
4. we didn't sell out a top 10 USC at home this year. a good product, not the opponent, will bring fans on a permanent basis.
5. i highly doubt we could get 3:1. if its 2:1 then they are no different than a MAC school

uconn football is costing the state of connecticut over 10 million a year. this charade of a program will not be lasting much longer.

Realistically, what do we mean when we say the U Conn program will "die"? Just drop down to Championship Subdivision, or truly cease playing?
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:40 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:

Realistically, what do we mean when we say the U Conn program will "die"? Just drop down to Championship Subdivision, or truly cease playing?

Realistically, I don't think either will happen. I think the playoff will eventually expand to 8 teams, giving conferences like the AAC a shot at getting a team in and scoring a big payday. As long as that happens, and the possibility of Power 5 expansion exists, Connecticut politicians and alumni will do everything in their power to keep the program afloat. If they drop football, it will hurt their basketball program.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:59 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:

probably 1-aa
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:40 pm

Good we haven't had a uconn football discussion in a while

2 things
A) re recruiting here's the list of the schools the top 15 recruits from CT committed to:

1 Clemson
2 undecided
3 bc
4 ped
5 bc
6 cuse
7 cuse
8 bc
9 cuse
10 duke
11 bc
12 umass
13 duke
14 umass
15 uconn

2) according to this: http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/ ... ce-options they get about $2 MM / year for TV + exit fees

They pay Geno $2 MM+, Ollie $2.5, Diaco $1.5

So before scholarship, etc expenses they've already blown through 3x their TV $.

BE makes $6+ MM / team. Don't think UConn basketball would bump that up as well?

Pretty easy scenario seeing UConn slashing $1.5 MM in Diaco + 85 football & 85 title 9 scholarships to make triple the TV $.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:55 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:BE makes $6+ MM / team. Don't think UConn basketball would bump that up as well?

Pretty easy scenario seeing UConn slashing $1.5 MM in Diaco + 85 football & 85 title 9 scholarships to make triple the TV $.

I get what you're saying but football always drives the bus. I think Fox will lose the gamble they made on the current BE TV deal. I don't think the BE's next TV contract will be as lucrative.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:46 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:BE makes $6+ MM / team. Don't think UConn basketball would bump that up as well?

I get what you're saying but football always drives the bus. I think Fox will lose the gamble they made on the current BE TV deal. I don't think the BE's next TV contract will be as lucrative.

110% football drives the bus but the gap between p5 & g5 is only going to widen. given the financial dynamics in college football & that school, state, program, etc I see more programs going the way of UAB
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby mod6A on Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:51 pm

every.single.thread. :orca :bag

:whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:32 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Good we haven't had a uconn football discussion in a while

2 things
A) re recruiting here's the list of the schools the top 15 recruits from CT committed to:

1 Clemson
2 undecided
3 bc
4 ped
5 bc
6 cuse
7 cuse
8 bc
9 cuse
10 duke
11 bc
12 umass
13 duke
14 umass
15 uconn

2) according to this: http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/ ... ce-options they get about $2 MM / year for TV + exit fees

So before scholarship, etc expenses they've already blown through 3x their TV $.

BE makes $6+ MM / team. Don't think UConn basketball would bump that up as well?

As this shows, BC does not compete with Connecticut for recruits. This list is even a bit generous as the Connecticut is not a deep state and probably doesnt warrant ranking kids past 10 (Rivals top 10 goes Clemson, TBA, BC, BC, PSU, Duke, BC, BC, Cuse, Cuse). The list that Claver quoted, I assume from 247, shows the 1 UConn commitment being an OL from New London with no other offers. UConn has never been able to out-recruit head to head in state or anywhere else for that matter.

Now, even with the prodigal son Bob Diaco, they are still competing with the likes of Bucknell and Fordham for the majority of their recruits (levels much worse than Spaziani could ever imagine). Playing UConn will have no effect with BC's recruiting stature in Connecticut or anywhere else. I see no reason to play them, and besides selling a few extra tickets to one game, honestly dont view playing UConn any differently than playing NMSU, NIU, Howard or Maine.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:19 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Good we haven't had a uconn football discussion in a while

2 things

1 Clemson
2 undecided
3 bc
4 ped
5 bc
6 cuse
7 cuse
8 bc
9 cuse
10 duke
11 bc
12 umass
13 duke
14 umass
15 uconn

As this shows, BC does not compete with Connecticut for recruits. This list is even a bit generous as the Connecticut is not a deep state and probably doesnt warrant ranking kids past 10 (Rivals top 10 goes Clemson, TBA, BC, BC, PSU, Duke, BC, BC, Cuse, Cuse). The list that Claver quoted, I assume from 247, shows the 1 UConn commitment being an OL from New London with no other offers. UConn has never been able to out-recruit head to head in state or anywhere else for that matter.

Now, even with the prodigal son Bob Diaco, they are still competing with the likes of Bucknell and Fordham for the majority of their recruits (levels much worse than Spaziani could ever imagine). Playing UConn will have no effect with BC's recruiting stature in Connecticut or anywhere else. I see no reason to play them, and besides selling a few extra tickets to one game, honestly dont view playing UConn any differently than playing NMSU, NIU, Howard or Maine.

First, I never said that playing UConn would help us with head-to-head recruiting match ups. Except for a rare case where a Connecticut kid just absolutely bleeds UConn from a young age and happens to grow into a recruit, UConn will never compete with us in the current state of things.

The argument that I was making was that playing UConn regularly and increasing BC's exposure in Connecticut will expand Daz's recruiting fence. The list provided illustrates my point. Why is BC nabbing 80-90% of the top Mass talent but splitting the Connecticut recruits with Penn St and Syracuse. That's the recruiting battle I care about. Expand the fence. Regardless of whether UConn football folds in the next decade and beyond, let's use the opportunity now to position BC to fill the void.

And I hate to say it, but I think UConn would draw almost as many fans to Alumni than USC. They brought 2K fans to a weeknight hockey game. A football game would bring 10K.

Not saying I like it, but there's a lot of upside.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium