Future Scheduling Question

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Future Scheduling Question

Postby Iggle on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:29 pm

I have no problem with scheduling UConn - unless it's being sold as the big OOC game for a given season. UConn is the same level as UMass in my eyes, a game that is a half step above any MAC team, if only because the other fanbase is excited to play BC. That's fine as an OOC slot and the 5k people who showed up to UConn's last home game would maybe show up to a BC-UConn game in Alumni. But if there is something twisted to make it seem like this is an exciting enough game to take the "name" OOC slot over a USC, ND, etc., then I'd be annoyed. I doubt that Bates would misread the fanbase so badly, but you never know.
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:35 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:And I hate to say it, but I think UConn would draw almost as many fans to Alumni than USC. They brought 2K fans to a weeknight hockey game

no they didn't

but if we can get a 2 for 1 w UConn, I say do it.

Bates has done absolutely nothing on the OOC front in the what 2.5 years he's been here.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:40 am

Good OOC games are dead.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:09 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Good we haven't had a uconn football discussion in a while

2 things
A) re recruiting here's the list of the schools the top 15 recruits from CT committed to:

1 Clemson
2 undecided
3 bc
4 ped
5 bc
6 cuse
7 cuse
8 bc
9 cuse
10 duke
11 bc
12 umass
13 duke
14 umass
15 uconn

2) according to this: http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/ ... ce-options they get about $2 MM / year for TV + exit fees

They pay Geno $2 MM+, Ollie $2.5, Diaco $1.5

So before scholarship, etc expenses they've already blown through 3x their TV $.

BE makes $6+ MM / team. Don't think UConn basketball would bump that up as well?

Pretty easy scenario seeing UConn slashing $1.5 MM in Diaco + 85 football & 85 title 9 scholarships to make triple the TV $.

As this shows, BC does not compete with Connecticut for recruits. This list is even a bit generous as the Connecticut is not a deep state and probably doesnt warrant ranking kids past 10 (Rivals top 10 goes Clemson, TBA, BC, BC, PSU, Duke, BC, BC, Cuse, Cuse). The list that Claver quoted, I assume from 247, shows the 1 UConn commitment being an OL from New London with no other offers. UConn has never been able to out-recruit head to head in state or anywhere else for that matter.

Now, even with the prodigal son Bob Diaco, they are still competing with the likes of Bucknell and Fordham for the majority of their recruits (levels much worse than Spaziani could ever imagine). Playing UConn will have no effect with BC's recruiting stature in Connecticut or anywhere else. I see no reason to play them, and besides selling a few extra tickets to one game, honestly dont view playing UConn any differently than playing NMSU, NIU, Howard or Maine.

First, I never said that playing UConn would help us with head-to-head recruiting match ups. Except for a rare case where a Connecticut kid just absolutely bleeds UConn from a young age and happens to grow into a recruit, UConn will never compete with us in the current state of things.

The argument that I was making was that playing UConn regularly and increasing BC's exposure in Connecticut will expand Daz's recruiting fence. The list provided illustrates my point. Why is BC nabbing 80-90% of the top Mass talent but splitting the Connecticut recruits with Penn St and Syracuse. That's the recruiting battle I care about. Expand the fence. Regardless of whether UConn football folds in the next decade and beyond, let's use the opportunity now to position BC to fill the void.

And I hate to say it, but I think UConn would draw almost as many fans to Alumni than USC. They brought 2K fans to a weeknight hockey game. A football game would bring 10K.

Not saying I like it, but there's a lot of upside.

I agree with you, but at least in this years CT class, you have to look at who we actually lost out on. Quite frankly, the only kid we offered and didn't land from CT was Wilkins and the QB from Taft (and technically Clark too, but he is originally from NJ and was going the baby rapist route the whole time). Everyone we offered in CT committed. The 2 DL going to Cuse and the DB going to PSU never had BC offers (and in the previous year, 2014, we got the one kid we offered, Outlow).

The question is, would playing yukon help us land a guy like Wilkins or Harris, I personally don't think it would. BC was in final 2/3 for both and lost out to other good programs, it is what it is. I would say on a whole, BC's hit rate in CT and MASS has been impressive the last 2 years, and playing yukon, a team who is an afterthought in the region, isn't gojngvto make a difference. Their is more opportunity to create buzz in the state of CT by scheduling USC or ND @ Fenway, or a high profile SEC/B1G team.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:41 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Good OOC games are dead.

dont know how you can say that when UVA has @UCLA and Boise St this year...Cuse has LSU coming to town...Pitt is @Iowa...Ville has Auburn...Duke has NW...The U has Nebraska...UNC has Sout hCarolina...VT has OSU

Pretty much everyone has a good/great OOC game this year (excluding the ND game)
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:43 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:

dont know how you can say that when UVA has @UCLA and Boise St this year...Cuse has LSU coming to town...Pitt is @Iowa...Ville has Auburn...Duke has NW...The U has Nebraska...UNC has Sout hCarolina...VT has OSU

Pretty much everyone has a good/great OOC game this year (excluding the ND game)

games this year were scheduled a few years back
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:46 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Bates has done absolutely nothing on the OOC front in the what 2.5 years he's been here.

I think this is because of Addazio. I believe he wants easy games at the beginning of the year. Ultimately, we have to play a P5, ND or BYU once a year. We will meet that requirement and then play 3 cupcakes.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:46 am

I will never understand why so many posters on this board want to take uconn's weener into their mouth.
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:48 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

games this year were scheduled a few years back

we could've done the same thing.

of course, a lot of that falls on the great one (though he did get us the USC series)
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:49 am

as an aside, how in the world did Cuse get LSU to travel to them?!?
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:55 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Good we haven't had a uconn football discussion in a while

2 things
A) re recruiting here's the list of the schools the top 15 recruits from CT committed to:

1 Clemson
2 undecided
3 bc
4 ped
5 bc
6 cuse
7 cuse
8 bc
9 cuse
10 duke
11 bc
12 umass
13 duke
14 umass
15 uconn

2) according to this: http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/ ... ce-options they get about $2 MM / year for TV + exit fees

They pay Geno $2 MM+, Ollie $2.5, Diaco $1.5

So before scholarship, etc expenses they've already blown through 3x their TV $.

BE makes $6+ MM / team. Don't think UConn basketball would bump that up as well?

Pretty easy scenario seeing UConn slashing $1.5 MM in Diaco + 85 football & 85 title 9 scholarships to make triple the TV $.

As this shows, BC does not compete with Connecticut for recruits. This list is even a bit generous as the Connecticut is not a deep state and probably doesnt warrant ranking kids past 10 (Rivals top 10 goes Clemson, TBA, BC, BC, PSU, Duke, BC, BC, Cuse, Cuse). The list that Claver quoted, I assume from 247, shows the 1 UConn commitment being an OL from New London with no other offers. UConn has never been able to out-recruit head to head in state or anywhere else for that matter.

Now, even with the prodigal son Bob Diaco, they are still competing with the likes of Bucknell and Fordham for the majority of their recruits (levels much worse than Spaziani could ever imagine). Playing UConn will have no effect with BC's recruiting stature in Connecticut or anywhere else. I see no reason to play them, and besides selling a few extra tickets to one game, honestly dont view playing UConn any differently than playing NMSU, NIU, Howard or Maine.

First, I never said that playing UConn would help us with head-to-head recruiting match ups. Except for a rare case where a Connecticut kid just absolutely bleeds UConn from a young age and happens to grow into a recruit, UConn will never compete with us in the current state of things.

The argument that I was making was that playing UConn regularly and increasing BC's exposure in Connecticut will expand Daz's recruiting fence. The list provided illustrates my point. Why is BC nabbing 80-90% of the top Mass talent but splitting the Connecticut recruits with Penn St and Syracuse. That's the recruiting battle I care about. Expand the fence. Regardless of whether UConn football folds in the next decade and beyond, let's use the opportunity now to position BC to fill the void.

And I hate to say it, but I think UConn would draw almost as many fans to Alumni than USC. They brought 2K fans to a weeknight hockey game. A football game would bring 10K.

Not saying I like it, but there's a lot of upside.

I agree with you, but at least in this years CT class, you have to look at who we actually lost out on. Quite frankly, the only kid we offered and didn't land from CT was Wilkins and the QB from Taft (and technically Clark too, but he is originally from NJ and was going the baby rapist route the whole time). Everyone we offered in CT committed. The 2 DL going to Cuse and the DB going to PSU never had BC offers (and in the previous year, 2014, we got the one kid we offered, Outlow).

The question is, would playing yukon help us land a guy like Wilkins or Harris, I personally don't think it would. BC was in final 2/3 for both and lost out to other good programs, it is what it is. I would say on a whole, BC's hit rate in CT and MASS has been impressive the last 2 years, and playing yukon, a team who is an afterthought in the region, isn't gojngvto make a difference. Their is more opportunity to create buzz in the state of CT by scheduling USC or ND @ Fenway, or a high profile SEC/B1G team.

Fair enough.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby AdamBC on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:34 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:I will never understand why so many posters on this board want to take uconn's weener into their mouth.

Every. Single. Thread.

though the direction this topic took might deserve a meatbomb
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:16 am

Virginia and Indiana just scheduled a home and home in 2017 and 2018. For Virginia, this series replaces a previously scheduled series with Stanford, who now has one opening in 2017 (ND and Rice) and two openings in 2018 (ND). Stanford's schedule is filled with academic peers, by the way (ND, Rice, Northwestern, Vanderbilt).

Pick up the fucking phone, Brad! Get it done!
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:21 am

brad is inquiring as to whether we can schedule 4 fcs teams annually
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:13 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:brad is inquiring as to whether we can schedule 4 fcs teams annually

But will he sweeten the pot and offer to play at their place?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:26 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:brad is inquiring as to whether we can schedule 4 fcs teams annually

But will he sweeten the pot and offer to play at their place?

two away games and two home games (one labor day and one thanksgiving friday)
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:13 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:So your saying that they should schedule Harvard, MIT or Tufts?

:popcorn :popcorn

Howard . . . Harvard. Really, what's the difference?
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:47 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:So your saying that they should schedule Harvard, MIT or Tufts?

:popcorn :popcorn

Howard . . . Harvard. Really, what's the difference?

I'd rather player Harvard away.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:09 pm

howard is the harvard of the hbc
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Onyx Blackman on Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:54 am

Howard is Howard Monday through Friday, but Harvard on Saturday.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby rktbrkr on Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:54 am

Where did the mass top 15 HS recruits go?

I'd like to see BC schedule a game in NYC metro every year for visibility with hs recruits, especially from Jersey side, Army, Rutgers - ND and Ped state at meadowlands, Fordham at Jankee stadium.
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:22 am

I hate this "visibility to recruits" argument, especially when it isn't in regards to Texas, California, or Florida.

If recruits from Jersey can't see us when it's our third largest state by undergraduate population (oh, and it's only ~4 hours away), we don't have a shot with them anyway.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:40 am

UMass just schedule Miss St for a 2016 home game.

Super misleading headline. 2-for-1 series with UMass's home game being Foxboro. Either way, cross Miss St off the '16 list.

http://www.gazettenet.com/home/17229883 ... ll-in-2016
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium