Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. Clemson - 10/18/2014

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. Clemson - 10/18/2014

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:19 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:that playaction on 3rd and 1 in the 4th at their 20 yard line or so was extremely inexcusable

I liked that call.

I also liked that call. If we had a more talented receiver on the staff than Border we might've even pulled in what essentially was a great jump ball throw.

Murphy made a good throw and Bordner almost pulled it in despite double-coverage.
No problem with that play call.
Any other timethe Debbie downs would be claiming that we aren't aggressive enough.

And that's why I hate people who complain about specific plays. You can bitch about an offense (running vs passing O, mobile vs dropback, conservative vs aggressive, read-option vs power game). But to bitch about play calls reeks of ignorant Monday morning QBing.

On 3rd and 1, we went aggressive. It was well defended. Give Clemson credit. We still got the first on 4th down with a power up the middle.

The offense couldn't do shit yesterday as the OL got owned. The gameplan was to lean on the D (who was facing a terrible O) and get the game into the 4th. In the 4th, we switched from conservative to aggressive. It worked like a charm. We just didn't have anyone other than Murphy to step up and make a play. All thy said... Murphy was so good he almost won the game by himself.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:24 am

That call was fine. Running into the line every first down....not so much.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:27 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:That call was fine. Running into the line every first down....not so much.

That was frustrating. It clearly was not working. But there wasn't much that did work yesterday. Hats off to the Clemson D. They lived up to the hype.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:41 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:That call was fine. Running into the line every first down....not so much.

That was frustrating. It clearly was not working. But there wasn't much that did work yesterday. Hats off to the Clemson D. They lived up to the hype.

It was a tough d. Make them tougher when you concede second and eleven.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby whalepants on Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:04 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:...and yes, while of course i care about the game, you're delusional if you don't think after 5+ years of shitty play and not being in school anymore its not also about & perhaps more about catching up with old friends.

Thus are new generations of whalepants born. May it ever be thus!

Down in Front!
whalepants
Carney Hall

Postby whalepants on Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:07 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:and yes, while of course i care about the game, you're delusional if you don't think after 5+ years of shitty play and not being in school anymore its not also about & perhaps more about catching up with old friends.

BTW, I'm not judging you, BME, or anyone else who goes into the game late, especially given the circumstances on Shea. I say enter the game whenever you want. As we get older, we get fewer opportunities to spend time with the people we used to see regularly. I'm not on time for every game.
whalepants
Carney Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:08 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

I think this is also an excellent example of why its easier to sit on the couch and criticize than to actually call the plays.

Runs up the middle on first down have been THE STRENGTH of this team all year. 2nd and 5 or less most of the time. Its the backbone of the offensive scheme. Against lesser defenses it works. Against good defenses it has also worked (ask USC). Just think you gotta cut the staff some slack for continuing to try our most effective 1st down play, even though an excellent defense is stuffing it.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:12 pm

Surprised no one giving the kid some slack on the dropped ball because of the rain. It was coming down hard, did they mention the balls being slick on tv.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby whalepants on Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:12 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:also for your weekly report of shea:

cars start driving on at 1230...they weren't opening any gates til after 1, despite "having wristbands allows you on 20 min into tailgating"

if they let 50 non wristbands on shea i think that'd be a high estimate

line to get on via wristband was over an hour long.

while i was walking on campus a team ops guy asked me what the deal is with the wristbands. ool.

reality is, when you're giving everyone on campus 3 hours to tailgate except for that zone where you give 1 hr 45 mins or so, you're gonna have people linger until they are forcibly removed.

theres gotta be a greater force at work here, because bates has done so much worse than gene ever did in this space, which really is contradictory to everything else he's done.

(insert im a loser because i like tailgating on grass & having open flame comments)

I did not see the 30min rule enforced at all. It was the best tailgate atmosphere in years.
The wrist band thing was done in response to the 2012 ND game where they estimated there were over 16,000 people on Shea.

It was also the worst Fucking first quarter crowd for a big game in years. Terrible fans.

I love it when some hayseed SUNY Oneonta man from Herkimer lectures us on how to be good alumni.

Down in Front!
whalepants
Carney Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:19 pm

No reason the lots cannot be open 4 hours prior to kickoff especially for games starting at 3:30 and later. BC pumped a lot of money into the city this weekend and it's time for the Democrats to stop asking BC for money and start opening lots in Cleveland Circle, MDC land,etc for game day parking. This is all on Democrats who rule the cities, Boston and Newton. There are no tailgating restrictions in South Carolina!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:20 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Just got back and finally saw the numbers on third down. Clemson was 10-21 but how many long 3rd downs did they convert ?? Thought that was one of the huge factors of the game (specifically that third down that lead got the last score). With all that said, still should have won this game.

BC's first 3rd down conversion came with 12:22 left in the game.
DomingoOrtiz
Fulton Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:32 pm

Adazzio is doing a great job. Next year it will be Flutie throwing a TD pass instead of Bordner underthrowing a sure TD.
We have a talent issue, not a coaching problem. Hopefully we can get some WR's. I think Adazzio would eventually land a top 100 recruit that will completely change the perception of BC and put us on the map for good.

If you want to get fans into the stands early, you need a better pregame show. The lots probably need to close 40 mins prior to kickoff due to the lack of gates getting into the stadium.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:01 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

You still didn't answer my question. Which receiver do you want to drop the First Down pass? Phillips running the wrong route is also an acceptable answer
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:30 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
And good one.... U haven't used that one before, very original

Also, I owned up to that mistake.

Not really, but we can deal with that another day.

Ur right, another day I'll go through the thread where u brought it up and I owned up

Ok, chief. You do that. I'll still prove you wrong.

Thankfully, I'll never understand the 'logic' of the simple minded (insert sheep emogi)

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:Since we're in a rain delay, let's talk about something REALLY important, like how Michael Sam is the Jackie Robinson of the NFL. Discuss.

Mia culpa. Thought he was gonna be better, actually, I don't know what the fuck I was thinking. Maybe I was hungover and being a dick, no pun intended, or an idiot. It looks ridiculous now that I see that and I was most likely being an idiot

I'm not going to go back and look it up, but I recall your position was less about his talent and more about the societal impact of a gay dude in the NFL. I believe that you put it on par with Jackie Robinson's entry to MLB. Whatever. It wasn't that interesting then, even less now.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:42 pm

If I missed the discussion my apologies by just re-watched the play and is there any explanation why we were not awarded a safety in the first quarter? That was a classic intentional grounding. He was in the pocket, in the grasp and threw the ball not within 5 yards of a receiver.

As to the playaction on third and a foot, my only thought would be is that the moment we finally use one of our TEs since nobody would see that coming? Thought it was the right call, just would have like another guy involved so Clemson would not have been able to get 3 guys on Bordner. Looking at it again it was a damn good throw.

Rouse was known for being our best pass catching RB by the staff and also not being used all game caught Clemson off guard. I think that is why they went with him over Outlow. It is ridiculous that Outlow is not getting more touches as an FYI. To DE's thought on the ball being slick, it bounced off of him rather than slipped through his hands. Tough to just throw someone out there who had not been involved all game but when your number is called you are supposed to be ready. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:00 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:If I missed the discussion my apologies by just re-watched the play and is there any explanation why we were not awarded a safety in the first quarter? That was a classic intentional grounding. He was in the pocket, in the grasp and threw the ball not within 5 yards of a receiver.

I was saying the same thing during the game. Thought it should have been a safety.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:37 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

I think this is also an excellent example of why its easier to sit on the couch and criticize than to actually call the plays.

Runs up the middle on first down have been THE STRENGTH of this team all year. 2nd and 5 or less most of the time. Its the backbone of the offensive scheme. Against lesser defenses it works. Against good defenses it has also worked (ask USC). Just think you gotta cut the staff some slack for continuing to try our most effective 1st down play, even though an excellent defense is stuffing it.

I'll cut them some slack the first eight times.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:38 pm

whalepants {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

cars start driving on at 1230...they weren't opening any gates til after 1, despite "having wristbands allows you on 20 min into tailgating"

while i was walking on campus a team ops guy asked me what the deal is with the wristbands. ool.

reality is, when you're giving everyone on campus 3 hours to tailgate except for that zone where you give 1 hr 45 mins or so, you're gonna have people linger until they are forcibly removed.

theres gotta be a greater force at work here, because bates has done so much worse than gene ever did in this space, which really is contradictory to everything else he's done.

(insert im a loser because i like tailgating on grass & having open flame comments)

I did not see the 30min rule enforced at all. It was the best tailgate atmosphere in years.
The wrist band thing was done in response to the 2012 ND game where they estimated there were over 16,000 people on Shea.

It was also the worst Fucking first quarter crowd for a big game in years. Terrible fans.

I love it when some hayseed SUNY Oneonta man from Herkimer lectures us on how to be good alumni.

Down in Front!

Never funny. #gallopinglentobservation
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:41 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
whalepants {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Down in Front!

The fans were horrible, especially the students.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:42 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
whalepants {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Down in Front!

The fans were horrible, especially the students.

Nah, the regular fans were far worse than the students.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:05 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
1. Google Mia culpa.

You should have stopped here.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:53 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
1. Google Mia culpa.

You should have stopped here.

Straw man argument..... Ur tactics.

(Sheep emogi)

I weep for your future. You make me sads.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:54 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Hunta518 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Nothing good to say about these drops. Great play call by day. Why rouse?

Day is responsible for subbing in Rouse, who hadn't fucking played all game. Ridiculous

Rouse shouldn't be getting snaps period. Hilliman, Outlow and Willis.

That's on our RB coach. I don't know why Rouse was out there. Don't recall seeing him in once all game.

It was not his first play of the game. Maybe he catches the ball well in practice? Too bad Outlaw wasn't in instead.
DomingoOrtiz
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:16 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Hunta518 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Nothing good to say about these drops. Great play call by day. Why rouse?

Day is responsible for subbing in Rouse, who hadn't fucking played all game. Ridiculous

That's on our RB coach. I don't know why Rouse was out there. Don't recall seeing him in once all game.

It was not his first play of the game. Maybe he catches the ball well in practice? Too bad Outlaw wasn't in instead.

1. He shouldn't have played at all.

2. There is something called a great 6 o'clock hitter.... Issue is that the game starts at 7. Stick with the players who were legitimately getting snaps and not someone cold off the bench who may or may not have shown promise in practice. Cue Allen Iverson practice quotes

3. Agree with outlow, Willis, or even Duedeck lol.... Being facetious on that last one

Stop wih Dudek also. I don't want to see him on the field either. Again, you're never going to convince me that he's a better option on 3rd down than McClary or Smith
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby wolverineneshl on Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:33 pm

I haven't read through the whole thread but I'm sure everything has been covered.

This is not the first game I am at odds with Day's play calling and just not this game, it's been most of the season.

Besides having a bad kicker, Day seems to pass when it is obvious running play like 2nd and one up the middle or go wide that ends up in a loss and 3rd and long. When it is obvious pass play on 3rd and long he runs. WTF ???

On many pass plays why isn't there anyone doing come backs or button hooks on long passes that are obviously well covered ? Why didn't we do more fakes into the line and do a short pass over the top like on a few plays that worked ?

I didn't see many pass plays to the backs coming out of the backfield as safety valve when the first and second options are not there ?? Clemson was killing us with those passes and their short passes. I didn't see any attempts at screen passes on 2nd or 3rd and long.

This is a game they should have won with Watson out and they beat us with Stoudt ((

How many runs did I see up the middle ?? So many wasted plays and how many times do you need to see it that Clemson is strong up the middle and it wasn't working ??

I won't get into the dropped BC passes or BC defense, but the D played well enough for us to win and the offense just failed us again due to the OC play calling itself. Day needs to be reamed and quartered !!! It is like Spaz playing not to lose mentality (( I was so pissed off that I didn't bother to post until now when I was more calm down.

I like Daz but he needs to talk with Day or call the plays on certain situations for BC to have a better chance to succeed.
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:04 pm

wolverineneshl {l Wrote}:I haven't read through the whole thread but I'm sure everything has been covered.

This is not the first game I am at odds with Day's play calling and just not this game, it's been most of the season.

Besides having a bad kicker, Day seems to pass when it is obvious running play like 2nd and one up the middle or go wide that ends up in a loss and 3rd and long. When it is obvious pass play on 3rd and long he runs. WTF ???

On many pass plays why isn't there anyone doing come backs or button hooks on long passes that are obviously well covered ? Why didn't we do more fakes into the line and do a short pass over the top like on a few plays that worked ?

I didn't see many pass plays to the backs coming out of the backfield as safety valve when the first and second options are not there ?? Clemson was killing us with those passes and their short passes. I didn't see any attempts at screen passes on 2nd or 3rd and long.

This is a game they should have won with Watson out and they beat us with Stoudt ((

How many runs did I see up the middle ?? So many wasted plays and how many times do you need to see it that Clemson is strong up the middle and it wasn't working ??

I won't get into the dropped BC passes or BC defense, but the D played well enough for us to win and the offense just failed us again due to the OC play calling itself. Day needs to be reamed and quartered !!! It is like Spaz playing not to lose mentality (( I was so pissed off that I didn't bother to post until now when I was more calm down.

I like Daz but he needs to talk with Day or call the plays on certain situations for BC to have a better chance to succeed.

Based on your play calling analysis I'd suggest you stick to hockey. The entire analysis is brutal
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:34 pm

This statement is contradictory. The offense we are running is 100% influenced by Daz (that's why he always has a headset on). As such, you can't love Daz and hate the offense.

For the record, I hated both the hiring of Daz and Day. But, both have been much better than my expectations (whereas my over-the-moon enthusiasm over the hiring the best DC my Yukon friends have ever seen... has been replaced by disappointment).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:17 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:For the record, I hated both the hiring of Daz and Day. But, both have been much better than my expectations (whereas my over-the-moon enthusiasm over the hiring the best DC my Yukon friends have ever seen... has been replaced by disappointment).

One stat the announcers threw out that jumped out at me: BC was 108th nationally 2 years ago in total defense. Now we're top 20, with largely the same talent.

Maybe I'm too naive and optimistic, but once the staff get their own players in place with experience as juniors and seniors, we could really be onto something.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:35 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:For the record, I hated both the hiring of Daz and Day. But, both have been much better than my expectations (whereas my over-the-moon enthusiasm over the hiring the best DC my Yukon friends have ever seen... has been replaced by disappointment).

One stat the announcers threw out that jumped out at me: BC was 108th nationally 2 years ago in total defense. Now we're top 20, with largely the same talent.

Maybe I'm too naive and optimistic, but once the staff get their own players in place with experience as juniors and seniors, we could really be onto something.

That ranking had nothing to do with talent. Just like how Andre was a complete nobody prior to Daz, the talent we had 2 years ago just wasn't being used appropriately. Any stat comparing Spaz's years to those of another coach are absurd as you are talking about someone who (for all intents and purposes) appeared to actively do things in order to lose and receive a buy-out.

The team has made a step in the right direction defensively this year over last. I'm still very concerned about our inability to get off the field on 3rd and long and it's penchant to easily surrender long game-winning/soul-crushing scoring drives when it matters most.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:51 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Hunta518 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

1. He shouldn't have played at all.

2. There is something called a great 6 o'clock hitter.... Issue is that the game starts at 7. Stick with the players who were legitimately getting snaps and not someone cold off the bench who may or may not have shown promise in practice. Cue Allen Iverson practice quotes

3. Agree with outlow, Willis, or even Duedeck lol.... Being facetious on that last one

Stop wih Dudek also. I don't want to see him on the field either. Again, you're never going to convince me that he's a better option on 3rd down than McClary or Smith

I think Dudek has some redeeming qualities and he proved to be a semi-valuable plug the last few years, but with that being said, I think this staff has appropriately passed on him to fill major offensive roles (as they should). I would love to see him moved to the other side of the ball, as either a safety (which he played in HS) or is blitzing packages. I think he could fit a Sylvia role going forward (with slightly more speed), and I just don't think their are going to be touches for him on offense this year and especially going forward as they bring in more guys on offense.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium