Bates to Michigan?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Bates to Michigan?

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:21 pm

that is awesome to me. i would love an athletic director like that especially if he would post on the school's message boards.

could you imagine the whalepants at ea, tubasteaks at bci, or even w3ir0z here reacting to the ad basically telling them they are toolbox assholes and should find a new hobby. i would have so much respect for those responses, i wouldn't even meatbomb them. hell, i wouldn't even be mad at him mocking me for mocking mac christian
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:28 pm

It would be awesome if he actually came across as mocking instead of as a whiny crybaby that knows he needs a new pizza delivery job,
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:31 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:It would be awesome if he actually came across as mocking instead of as a whiny crybaby that knows he needs a new pizza delivery job,

tomato/potato... it would still get the job done and lead to a thread of unnecessary anger the length of the bruins weirdos thread
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:02 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:that is awesome to me. i would love an athletic director like that especially if he would post on the school's message boards.

could you imagine the whalepants at ea, tubasteaks at bci, or even w3ir0z here reacting to the ad basically telling them they are toolbox assholes and should find a new hobby. i would have so much respect for those responses, i wouldn't even meatbomb them. hell, i wouldn't even be mad at him mocking me for mocking mac christian

the only thing that would be better than this would be the ad meatbombing the toolbox assholes himself. "take a look at the minutes from my most recent meeting with the newton aldermen here"
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:42 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:that is awesome to me. i would love an athletic director like that especially if he would post on the school's message boards.

the only thing that would be better than this would be the ad meatbombing the toolbox assholes himself. "take a look at the minutes from my most recent meeting with the newton aldermen here"

i stand corrected. clearly, the lbl has put more thought into this than i have
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:19 am

Michigan's AD is set to resign at a 130 press conference today, apparently.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:23 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Michigan's AD is set to resign at a 130 press conference today, apparently.

I fully expect Bates to be a strong candidate for the job. Can't say I'd be particularly busted up about it.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:25 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Michigan's AD is set to resign at a 130 press conference today, apparently.

I fully expect Bates to be a strong candidate for the job. Can't say I'd be particularly busted up about it.

I always like the pearl-clutching that will inevitably come. "Oh god, we hired someone that a bigger school likes. Why would we do such a thing? How can we ever replace him!?!"

What are the odds Coach Flip tries to fire Bates for taking an interview? Isn't he still teaching a class on campus?
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:30 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

i like bates but neither am i
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:41 am

hook hairs
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:43 am

He'll be a candidate. Won't get the job. Don't care much.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:49 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}: Don't care much.

I care in that I have a semi-irrational fear that he is going to want to bring Enrico Blasi in as York's successor when he retires and I'd like him gone before that.

It's not relaly rational when considering the athletic department as a whole, but there it is/
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:22 am

I think Bates has done well here. I also think he looks much better htan he should because of the disaster he was following.

With that being said, there are some other names being floated from schools much higher profile than BC (Castiglione at Oklahoma and Long at Arkansas), wouldnt necessarily say this is a done deal
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:12 pm

Bates was on the right track, until he hired Jimmy Christian.

Now that he went and did that, I hope to god Michigan takes him from us.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:26 pm

eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:Bates was on the right track, until he hired Jimmy Christian.

Now that he went and did that, I hope to god Michigan takes him from us.

Bates' words have always overshadowed his actions. He did what he had to with firing Spaz and Don. However, his hires have had mixed receptions (lukewarm acceptance of Daz and universal rejection of Jimmy C). Daz is looking like he is better than anticipated (and JC is looking somehow worse). Bates always talked the good talk about bettering gameday experience... but has (like his predecessor) found creative ways to further restrict fun.

Bates may still grow into the role at BC (should he stay). But, as of today, his tenure is decidedly unremarkable.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:41 pm

is it time to tell him to pack yer bags yet?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:44 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:It would be awesome if he actually came across as mocking instead of as a whiny crybaby that knows he needs a new pizza delivery job,

NEW PIZZA JOB!
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby StratEagle on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:47 pm

So if Bates goes to Michigan does the mythical strategic plan go with him?
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:23 pm

Bates imo, has done a very good job. I am not sure if that is colored by the fact that his predecessor was a jackwagon, and anybody with a pulse was bound to improve the program, but he seems to get BC. It is easy to forget that this football team was 2-10 when he came in, and was losing to the likes of Army. He hired someone in Addazio who most of us didn't like. A strong majority of the board wanted diaco over Dazz. Had he made that hire, BC football would be one step closer to the Patriot league. His biggest job was hiring the right football coach. Everything else was window dressing. Some like Dazz, some don't, but he took a 2-10 team and has them competitive in every single game of his tenure minus the Arizona game. Bc football is fun to watch again. The feeling that they can beat anyone on any day, has returned to BC, many years before I anticipated.

As for basketball, I had the same reaction to Christian's hire as I did Dazz's. Safe and unspectacular hire. However he hasn't even coached a scrimmage yet. It is impossible to evaluate him. It is ridiculous for anyone to call it a good or bad hire as of right now.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:24 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:So if Bates goes to Michigan does the mythical strategic plan go with him?

:whammy

well done
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eaglesfan06 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:36 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:Bates imo, has done a very good job. I am not sure if that is colored by the fact that his predecessor was a jackwagon, and anybody with a pulse was bound to improve the program, but he seems to get BC. It is easy to forget that this football team was 2-10 when he came in, and was losing to the likes of Army. He hired someone in Addazio who most of us didn't like. A strong majority of the board wanted diaco over Dazz. Had he made that hire, BC football would be one step closer to the Patriot league. His biggest job was hiring the right football coach. Everything else was window dressing. Some like Dazz, some don't, but he took a 2-10 team and has them competitive in every single game of his tenure minus the Arizona game. Bc football is fun to watch again. The feeling that they can beat anyone on any day, has returned to BC, many years before I anticipated.

As for basketball, I had the same reaction to Christian's hire as I did Dazz's. Safe and unspectacular hire. However he hasn't even coached a scrimmage yet. It is impossible to evaluate him. It is ridiculous for anyone to call it a good or bad hire as of right now.

:suicide
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:45 pm

Anonymous people on twitter are saying that Bates will also be on Vanderbilt's list.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:06 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:Bates imo, has done a very good job. I am not sure if that is colored by the fact that his predecessor was a jackwagon, and anybody with a pulse was bound to improve the program, but he seems to get BC. It is easy to forget that this football team was 2-10 when he came in, and was losing to the likes of Army. He hired someone in Addazio who most of us didn't like. A strong majority of the board wanted diaco over Dazz. Had he made that hire, BC football would be one step closer to the Patriot league. His biggest job was hiring the right football coach. Everything else was window dressing. Some like Dazz, some don't, but he took a 2-10 team and has them competitive in every single game of his tenure minus the Arizona game. Bc football is fun to watch again. The feeling that they can beat anyone on any day, has returned to BC, many years before I anticipated.

Agreed. Addazio was a great hire. If HJS were running the program we would have Diaco roaming the sidelines and Mike Rice beating up basketball players.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby QuailMan on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:11 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Agreed. Addazio was a great hire. If HJS were running the program we would have Diaco roaming the sidelines and Mike Rice beating up basketball players.

Diaco looked good on paper, but I don;t think anyone on this board would have hired him once they heard him speak. All Bates had to do was talk to him for 5 minutes before to realize he's a weirdo
QuailMan
Carney Hall

Postby talon on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:22 pm

http://www.michigandaily.com/sports/tra ... esignation

Schlissel's comments seemed to suggest that two very important things he wants in the next permanant AD are:

1) Commitment to academics
2) A strong connection to the Michigan alumni community

Seems like Bates would be his ideal hire.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle216 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:41 pm

Bates did a great job with Daz. He didn't make an obvious hire, and appears to have done his due diligence, as opposed to just hiring the best resume. In some ways, it was a bit of a gamble, but seems like an obvious decision now.

If I cared about roundball I may or may not be pissed out Christian. I would probably need to first be able to pick him out of a line-up first, though.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:41 pm

QuailMan {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Diaco looked good on paper, but I don;t think anyone on this board would have hired him once they heard him speak. All Bates had to do was talk to him for 5 minutes before to realize he's a weirdo

UConn's athletic director didn't come to those same conclusions.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:51 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
QuailMan {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

He is at best a B list athletic director though
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:19 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
QuailMan {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

bravo
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:43 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
QuailMan {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

bravo

Second the applause.

People do realize that coaches have to do more than coach. One such thing, recruiting, is public and evaluate-able.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium