Addazio Postgame

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Addazio Postgame

Postby angrychicken on Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:21 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:this whole conversation reeks of shinskie going pro

Shinskie never had a chance to line up under guard in the pros, despite the fact that he was a MAN.

:party

If I remember correctly, Shinskie lining up under the guard was the first play of the first game, followed by a delay of game penalty. Pretty much sums up the Spaz era.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:37 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:HJS coaches lists are hysterical. Chip Kelly?

Chip Kelly will be looking for a job soon enough

Red font?

Or why do you think this? He's in year 2 of a 5-year contract that is paying him approx. $6.5 million a year. The fan base here loves him. Lurie loves him. You really think anyone is going to poach him for more than that in the next year?

If you mean he might go somewhere else in year 4 or after his contract expires I hear you, but I see no signs he is looking to make a play for more cash or to go somewhere else at this point.

He also has the benefit of being part of the least incompetent organization in the NFC East right now. He only has to be mediocre to make the playoffs every year.

But fuck the Eagles.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:01 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Red font?

Or why do you think this? He's in year 2 of a 5-year contract that is paying him approx. $6.5 million a year. The fan base here loves him. Lurie loves him. You really think anyone is going to poach him for more than that in the next year?

If you mean he might go somewhere else in year 4 or after his contract expires I hear you, but I see no signs he is looking to make a play for more cash or to go somewhere else at this point.

I think he will be fired by the end of his contract. Sexy and sort of successful gets old fast. Oh, and Nick Foles.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:19 pm

Even if he keeps overachieving, no SEC school will ever hire Daz. Ever. There is too much stink on him among the boosters and fans from his Florida reputation. Florida could've promoted him too and didn't and the other schools wouldn't want Florida's reject.

I could see some low-level Big Ten schools making a run at him, but is he going to leave BC to coach Indiana or Minnesota? Maybe they would offer more money, but I don't it would be enough. Michigan will be the next big opening in the Big Ten, but I don't think they will want to hire a Meyer guy.

Assuming Daz leaves or retires with TOBish level of success, the next BC coach will be Ryan Day.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:21 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I don't think we should be paying Dazoo big'um money unless he gets us to the Conference Championship game. I don't care who comes calling or when.

What do you think a logical timeline for him getting us to the ACCCG is (if ever?). I think 5-7 years is possible.

Whatever year FSU and Clemson are both down.

By Clemson being down, do you mean down down or just over fucking hyped, like usual.

Louisville too. But I'm certain Petrino is about to preside over a Spaziani-esque dismantling of the Louisville football program. Provided he stays long enough.

After year 5 seems about right.......

Fuck that! This year! Didn't you see the USC game?!

Or more seriously, if Daz and co. are on the right track with Wade, then '16. Players in place for Daz's dream scheme. Like the USC game but also incorporating the forward pass!
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:26 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Red font?

I think he will be fired by the end of his contract. Sexy and sort of successful gets old fast. Oh, and Nick Foles.

Nick Foles is a very good QB.

hawaiirob {l Wrote}: I wish I could say nice things about Jags, but if you haven't figured it out by now, the magic in Jags' two years was all Steve Logan.

Yes, but Logan would have never come to BC if it wasn't for Jags, so he gets credit. Jags wasn't a brilliant Xs and Os guy and even his biggest supporters have never claimed he was, what he was was a very good CEO head coach who knew how to assemble a staff (this is also why he had far more success as a HC than he ever had in assistant roles where he was expected to get into the nuts and bolts of playcalling and running an offense).
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:27 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Red font?

hawaiirob {l Wrote}: I wish I could say nice things about Jags, but if you haven't figured it out by now, the magic in Jags' two years was all Steve Logan.

Yes, but Logan would have never come to BC if it wasn't for Jags, so he gets credit. Jags wasn't a brilliant Xs and Os guy and even his biggest supporters have never claimed he was, what he was was a very good CEO head coach who knew how to assemble a staff (this is also why he had far more success as a HC than he ever had in assistant roles where he was expected to get into the nuts and bolts of playcalling and running an offense).

Philly says a lot of dumb shit, but I didn't think he would buy into the Chip Kelly Nick Foles 8-8 express.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby GlorytoBC on Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:31 pm

Clemson just finished 11-2 and ranked in the top 10 in back to back years.

They're not over-hyped anymore. They've also finished better than their pre-season rankings in the past three years.
GlorytoBC
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:33 pm

GlorytoBC {l Wrote}:Clemson just finished 11-2 and ranked in the top 10 in back to back years.

They're not over-hyped anymore. They've also finished better than their pre-season rankings in the past three years.

Clemson blows. They're overhyped.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:53 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:this whole conversation reeks of shinskie going pro

Shinskie never had a chance to line up under guard in the pros, despite the fact that he was a MAN.

:kudos
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:58 pm

eagle216 {l Wrote}:I think if we can pay Daz Big Um money, he might stay with us long term. He is a New England guy, and not necessarily young anyone. If we pay him real money he can be our Beemer. Money, alas, will be the problem. Also, it will depend on whether we are in or out of the inevetable Big Um breakaway from the NCAA.

his age is a HUGE deterrent for a college program.
if BC opens the bank account up for him, I would be shocked if he didn't stay.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:21 pm

I think BC is where Addazio wants to be & I don't think he is using BC as a stepping stone.

If he continues to be successful multiple Big 5 programs would want him. But I don't seeing him actively pursuing other jobs. There could be a mega offer that would entice him to leave, but he is not likely to pull a Jags and move up as soon as possible.

One of the reasons for his success is that he really understands what BC is and really likes it here
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:45 am

He's 55 according to his wiki page. Would love if he stayed.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:09 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Red font?

Philly says a lot of dumb shit, but I didn't think he would buy into the Chip Kelly Nick Foles 8-8 express.

I hated the Kelly hire at the time but it is looking good so far. I think there's something to the idea that we wear teams out and steamroll them in the 4th quarter. As for Foles the kid is a very very good QB....still young and makes his mistakes but most NFL teams would be lucky to have him.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:27 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Red font?

:blah
So the Phila. Eagles are only going to win 6 more games this season? Not being a homer here, I just would be shocked if that happens given their remaining schedule.

I was expecting Foles to have a sophomore slump this season. Sure he's played poorly at times, but he continues to exceed my expectations and I'll take the results so far this year.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:22 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Red font?

:blah
So the Phila. Eagles are only going to win 6 more games this season? Not being a homer here, I just would be shocked if that happens given their remaining schedule.

I was expecting Foles to have a sophomore slump this season. Sure he's played poorly at times, but he continues to exceed my expectations and I'll take the results so far this year.

Make that "5 more games this season?"
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:33 pm

I forgot how many Eagles w31rd0s we had on this board.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:48 pm

Those two teams are god awful. Will Foles survive 5 more weeks?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby mod6A on Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:04 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Those two teams are god awful. Will Foles survive 5 more weeks?

he got beat up pretty good today, but that game was fun to watch.

what's up with all the safeties today? odd.

:whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:20 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Addazio is the best coach for BC. He is a good family man, a good Catholic and a hell of a spokesman for Jesuit values. It would be a shame to lose him over money. If he keeps winning and especially if Florida struggles, the offers will come and BC will have to pay 3 million per year to keep him.

Florida won't offer him, but I think BC will pony up if someone else comes calling, because he emphasizes the Jesuit, Catholic, family values that BC values so much, esp. under Leahy. Also, his preferred method of play - downhill running, supplemented with some wrinkles, fits with the recruits we traditionally get and our fan base is willing to live with that if we win enough.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:06 pm

BostonCollege1 {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Addazio is the best coach for BC. He is a good family man, a good Catholic and a hell of a spokesman for Jesuit values. It would be a shame to lose him over money. If he keeps winning and especially if Florida struggles, the offers will come and BC will have to pay 3 million per year to keep him.

Florida won't offer him, but I think BC will pony up if someone else comes calling, because he emphasizes the Jesuit, Catholic, family values that BC values so much, esp. under Leahy. Also, his preferred method of play - downhill running, supplemented with some wrinkles, fits with the recruits we traditionally get and our fan base is willing to live with that if we win enough.

this

Daz says all the right things and represents BC the way that they want to be represented.
If Daz cant get paid here at BC, then no coach ever will.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HammarMA on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:22 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
BostonCollege1 {l Wrote}:

this

Daz says all the right things and represents BC the way that they want to be represented.
If Daz cant get paid here at BC, then no coach ever will.

Agreed, Daz "says" all the right things and he is a good fit for BC. I too hope he stays long-term, but please don't forget ---all these guys are mercenaries and great snake oil salesmen. They will move up to the next level at the drop of a hat. Daz is no different. Like any good football coach he "knows" he can be successful at a big time program.

In my opinion, he is currently in a position that best suits him, but I am sure he thinks he can do better. If he receives an offer from SEC or an ACC football school, he is gone.
HammarMA
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:25 am

They are mostly mercenaries, and you may be right about Daz. Many coaches see the SEC and the no recruiting restriction schools as a step up. But there are a group of coaches that end up pretty happy at a place and build it up there.

For certain types of guys, BC is pretty high up on the list. The attraction to steal those guys is always the NFL, not the SEC, and I am not sure Daz is an NFL guy.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:48 am

I hope Daz gets offered "better" jobs and I couldn't care less if he then takes it. I want a coach who is sought-after... regardless if that means he ultimately jumps ship. Just win and everything will take care of itself: both from the program perspective and that of the coaches financial situation. I always hate these threads as they usually bare witness to fans' insecurities regarding the small-time nature of their program.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:55 am

For me it is not about hoping they keep him, but rather analyzing the chance that he leaves. I just don't see BC as the launching point for a big SEC job. NFL, yes. But I don't see Daz as an NFL guy.

I agree, hope he is good enough to have people wanting him, and if he goes so be it. Just not sure how many people are going to be coming.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:06 am

So... everyone is abuzz over Urban telling HBO Inside Sports about his depression in 2009/10. It prompted me to search a few articles to see if Dazoo was quoted in the piece. While it doesn't seem that HBO talked to Daz... I came across this Commentary in the Orlando Sentinel from the following season (Daz's much maligned final season in Gainesville).
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/201 ... ris-rainey
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:10 am

One thing I love about this Board is the speed with which a coach can go from being a "underwhelming hire" and a sign of the Administration's cheapness one month, to being the next Tom Coughlin the next.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:14 am

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:One thing I love about this Board is the speed with which a coach can go from being a "underwhelming hire" and a sign of the Administration's cheapness one month, to being the next Tom Coughlin and a sign of the Administration's cheapness the next.

fixed, maybe
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:16 am

I was on board the Notorious Orange express very early.

I also don't think the guy is irreplaceable, just commenting that I am not so certain we will have to worry about it for a while
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:18 am

I find the overreaction amusing. I think pretty much all of us expected 3-1 to start the season, we just thought wed get there in a different way.

to be perfectly honest, it will be alarming if were not 5-1 going into Clemson. because even if were 5-1 going into that game, id be shocked if we finished above 7-5. and I still say 7-5 would be a good year.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium