Tailgating question

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Tailgating question

Postby commavegarage on Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:28 pm

Does anybody have a TV set up at their tailgate?

I want to start doing it but I don't know the best way...

:chewbanka
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Re: Tailgating question

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:38 pm

You'll need a power inverter to power the TV and whatever you're using to get a signal. Does BC wi-fi provide guest access? If not, you might need a mobile hotspot.

You could try an HD Antenna to pick up local broadcasts.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby shockdoct on Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:50 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Does anybody have a TV set up at their tailgate?

I want to start doing it but I don't know the best way...

:chewbanka

I don't run my own tailgate for the BC games, but have setup something similar. Although I am not sure of BC's rules on generators.

Generator (one of those quiet honda units is probably preferable)
TV
HD antenna for network tv games

If you wanted additional games outside of network, you will need either a mobile hotspot or you can try connecting to the BC wifi network (no login required, but not sure Shea is in the network coverage).

Then either:
Laptop (w/ hdmi out to the tv) with a browser on ESPN3.
Use a the watchespn app on tablet/phone with a google chromecast.

First option will likely work with either hotspot or BC wifi.
Not sure chromecast will work on the BC wifi network.

I wouldn't attempt a satellite dish due to the space limitations on Shea.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:09 pm

can I use a power invertor from the car or would that take up way too much of the battery?

Also - looking very quickly at the Honda generators shows me its about a grand bare minimum. is that the correct price range?

edit: and re hd antenna - that's exactly what I was thinking
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:15 pm

HD antenna is probably the way to go, though obviously it restricts which games you'd get.

I know it isn't helpful to you but it would be easier in comm ave garage (and i presume beacon st) where there are outlets on every floor
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:18 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:can I use a power invertor from the car or would that take up way too much of the battery?

Also - looking very quickly at the Honda generators shows me its about a grand bare minimum. is that the correct price range?

Power inverter is intended to allow you to run home electronics from your car battery safely. It provides 120V output from a 12V battery. Most can power 2 devices at a time. I have no idea how they work, but they do. You do need to run the engine every now and then to make sure you don't totally drain your battery.

I don't think BC allows generators.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby shockdoct on Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:21 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:can I use a power invertor from the car or would that take up way too much of the battery?

As the pink name individual who rules this board with an iron fist found out a few years ago, I wouldn't mess with using the battery in your car.

Seems there is a unit in a similar classification as the Honda at a 1/3 of the price that may be worth researching as the reviews are all over the place.
Generac iX 800-Running Watts Inverter Portable Generator
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:35 pm

does anybody know if bc doesn't allow generators? is this all a moot point?

I just know ive seen people with the setup and think its brilliant. especially for the 12-1 starts when you could have gameday going in the morning and an abc / cbs / fox game in the afternoon
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:08 pm

I haven't tried one, but there are a number of portable fuel cells out there that run off of batteries (some of which can be recharged via solar (eg GoalZero Yeti 400)). If you can tap into BC's wifi, you can stream any of the games via ESPN3 or set up a slingbox. Or, if you have unlimited Data, you can just use your phone to stream (assuming you have a SmartTV at the tailgate... or the appropriate cable (eg Thunderbolt to HDMI)).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:47 pm

I'm fairly certain BC does allow generators, I think I've seen them before. I've also heard of people using car/marine batteries with an inverter and hd antenna as a way to get power and basic channels (no espn).

As for the wifi, I remember in years past being able to access it from our spot in robsham but my ipad could not find it at the USC game. Maybe it was just because of volume of people ? I do remember in the past, even when I could connect, the wifi wasn't great and trying to stream on espn3 was choppy. Idk if it would make sense to buy a personal hot spot type device and more or less create your own wifi network.

I've also read of people who have direct tv or dish for example, that can simply take a receiver from home and use with a standard satellite to get channels.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:06 pm

There is a website out there that tells you what HDTV signals are available over the air at a particular location. It also
Displays the signal strength.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:02 pm

I have sat tv set up at my tailgate, roof top Comm Ave garage, your welcome to stop by. I have Direct TV receiver, Winegard automatic portable dome that goes on the roof of my jeep, portable/rechargeable battery and an inverter. Very clean and easy set-up. I use to bring a quiet honda generator, but the BC fire marshall said that they are not allowed and threatened to confiscate it! He claimed the fumes were dangerous! I also have a portable speaker that I plug the TV into for better volume. You will not have any problem getting a signal on Shea.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:50 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:I have sat tv set up at my tailgate, roof top Comm Ave garage, your welcome to stop by. I have Direct TV receiver, Winegard automatic portable dome that goes on the roof of my jeep, portable/rechargeable battery and an inverter. Very clean and easy set-up. I use to bring a quiet honda generator, but the BC fire marshall said that they are not allowed and threatened to confiscate it! He claimed the fumes were dangerous! I also have a portable speaker that I plug the TV into for better volume. You will not have any problem getting a signal on Shea.

Did he threaten to confiscate it because you are in/on the garage or is that a general rule ? I can swear I have seen them before in the lots and we were thinking of getting one but if they are not allowed at all we will obv bag that idea.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:43 pm

Before you spend $1,000 on a generator, you should call BC. What are U looking to power with the generator?
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:48 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Before you spend $1,000 on a generator, you should call BC. What are U looking to power with the generator?

f- for commenting without even reading the premise of the thread. i'd understand if this was the 75 page h00pZ w3ird0s thread but it's only a couple of posts long.
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:46 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Before you spend $1,000 on a generator, you should call BC. What are U looking to power with the generator?

my mobile home
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:20 pm

You need an inverter generator if you try this, regular generators are much louder and you will attract attention.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:24 pm

I'll dumb this down. A generator is overkill for a TV, all you need is a battery and an inverter. Battery Plus store, size of your car battery, rechargeable.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:52 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:I'll dumb this down. A generator is overkill for a TV, all you need is a battery and an inverter. Battery Plus store, size of your car battery, rechargeable.

To further the dumbing down, the information contained in prior posts in a message board thread may be gathered by reading them.

Also Syracuse is a lousy anchor.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium