teddy and mo'j fight about murphy/rettig and other fun stuff

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

teddy and mo'j fight about murphy/rettig and other fun stuff

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:08 am

I'm just wondering how you feel about Don Brown making Kessler look like Tom Brady and whether you have any comments on my opinion that Tyler Murphy is a better football player than Chase Rettig.

Thanks in advance!
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Re: For Welles

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:10 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'm just wondering how you feel about Don Brown making Kessler look like Tom Brady and whether you have any comments on my opinion that Tyler Murphy is a better football player than Chase Rettig.

Thanks in advance!

I'm glad that even after a big, unifying win, we're not losing sight of what's really important in the world of message-boardery: being right.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:11 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'm just wondering how you feel about Don Brown making Kessler look like Tom Brady and whether you have any comments on my opinion that Tyler Murphy is a better football player than Chase Rettig.

Thanks in advance!

I'm glad that even after a big, unifying win, we're not losing sight of what's really important in the world of message-boardery: being right.

My post had nothing to do with my being right about anything.

We're supposed to hug now?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:18 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:We're supposed to hug now?

Only if you have explicit consent.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:29 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Thanks in advance!

We already have a thread on Don Brown where I address the first. As for the second, no one ever denied Murphy being a better running back than Chase.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:36 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Thanks in advance!

We already have a thread on Don Brown where I address the first. As for the second, no one ever denied Murphy being a better running back than Chase.

Good effort. I didn't really care if you addressed it or not. The fun remains there to be had.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:41 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Thanks in advance!

Good effort. I didn't really care if you addressed it or not. The fun remains there to be had.

It doesn't in this thread.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:43 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Thanks in advance!

If you are going to play the solemn game, the thread equating a college football win with a kid dying saving people in heroic fashion probably should not have existed in the first place.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:01 am

maybe it would help to sooth each of you if you put on some music...

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:02 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Thanks in advance!

If you are going to play the solemn game, the thread equating a college football win with a kid dying saving people in heroic fashion probably should not have existed in the first place.

It's more to do with the utter randomness associated with picking an off-topic thread to start a pissing match. You don't see flocking here to critique your poor prognosticating skillz (noting the distinction between yours and those of tedwarita). You don't see dtwalrus popping off about AngryDick's inability to correctly read the electorate during Presidential elections. You don't see BigPete touting the services of Jackson Hewitt over HR BLock. No reason to use a tangential thread to point out how you quickly backed away from your Murphy-is-a-better-player-who-throws-footballs-than-Rettig until 10-days later (after a 5-13 performance resulted in a huge upset).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:05 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Thanks in advance!

It's more to do with the utter randomness associated with picking an off-topic thread to start a pissing match. You don't see flocking here to critique your poor prognosticating skillz (noting the distinction between yours and those of tedwarita). You don't see dtwalrus popping off about AngryDick's inability to correctly read the electorate during Presidential elections. You don't see BigPete touting the services of Jackson Hewitt over HR BLock. No reason to use a tangential thread to point out how you quickly backed away from your Murphy-is-a-better-player-who-throws-footballs-than-Rettig until 10-days later (after a 5-13 performance resulted in a huge upset).

Glad that you preserved the solemnity of the thread and didn't stoop to trying to talk your way out of your idiocy with misquoting and revisionist history.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Re: teddy and mo'j fight about murphy/rettig and other fun stuff

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:14 am

in thinking about the children, i've split the thread...
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:41 am

In HJS' defense, epstein was ironically (bomber sense) talking about Rettig v. Murphy throwing when I made the comment that Murphy was a better player. I could see how he might get us mixed up, given that we are on the same message board coaching staff.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby mod6A on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:52 am

can we agree on the common ground of everyone liking BC football again?

:whiteflag

:whalepants :whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle216 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:52 am

I can't keep track of this - is Mo J saying that Rettig is a better QB than Murphy, but that that point is irrelevant because Murphy is instead playing the position of running back?
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:56 am

mod6A {l Wrote}:can we agree on the common ground of everyone liking BC football again?

:whiteflag

:whalepants :whalepants

rktbrkr doesn't
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:04 pm

eagle216 {l Wrote}:I can't keep track of this - is Mo J saying that Rettig is a better QB than Murphy, but that that point is irrelevant because Murphy is instead playing the position of running back?

Let me know if you figure it out. I just said Murphy is a better player and it isn't close, which is accurate. Oh, and that I was one of the few that liked Rettig as well.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:13 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle216 {l Wrote}:I can't keep track of this - is Mo J saying that Rettig is a better QB than Murphy, but that that point is irrelevant because Murphy is instead playing the position of running back?

Let me know if you figure it out. I just said Murphy is a better player and it isn't close, which is accurate. Oh, and that I was one of the few that liked Rettig as well.

nospace liked rettig too - but only because he pretend hung out with them at the usc game last year
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby mod6A on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:23 pm

i was under the impression that fagtagging was no longer allowed on this message board.

what gives?

:whalepants :whalepants :whalepants
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:28 pm

mod6A {l Wrote}:i was under the impression that fagtagging was no longer allowed on this message board.

what gives?

Kids these days call it "mojaying". :shrug
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby mod6A on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:47 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
mod6A {l Wrote}:i was under the impression that fagtagging was no longer allowed on this message board.

what gives?

Get off my lawn?

mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:58 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

what gives?

oh - so it's like roller blading, only gayer
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:05 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:maybe it would help to sooth each of you if you put on some music...

"Red's my favorite color, maaan."
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby wolverineneshl on Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:08 pm

Chase Rettig had better receivers who can actually hold on to the ball and maybe a better completion rate during games. I think having Andre Williams helped a lot last year rushing for 2,000 yards.

Tyler is a much better runner than Chase and does a super job of carrying out fakes to confuse tacklers. Also he needs time to adjust to receivers and be on the same page on timing and running passing routes. And his big problem is his receivers catching obvious routine passes that hit the hands and chest. I don't know what else Tyler can do but maybe adjust his passes sometimes and it is not necessary to throw a rope on each pass when sometimes a little off or a little touch on his pass can help his receivers to make the catch better.

Watching his interview with Steve Burton last night on Sports Final, he talked about the fakes and following through to get tacklers to chase the wrong ball carrier and give the real ball carrier more of a chance to get yards with less people pursuing him.

I think teams scouting BC will adjust by throwing more now to loosen up the running game. USC didn't realize this until it was too late but still, they were within a TD and a PAT to pull this out.

I'm really impressed with the runners we have and catching punts is a big difference in field position this year. Last year, I was really annoyed when the punt returner let the ball hit the ground and roll back deep into BC territory. Anything beyond 20 yards is a hit and miss with the FG kicker and missing PATs can be a problem but on Saturday BC held on to win by 6.
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:13 pm

I don't think USC took that long to figure out that they should pass more and deeper. I think that they took that long because earlier in the game they were hoping to run the ball a lot to give that defense a rest. The problem with quick strike offense against BC is that the run attack can murderate your defense.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle216 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:44 pm

All football coaches will tell you that if you can run at will against an opponent, then you go ahead and do exactly that. It matters not if you can also pass at will. Far too much can go wrong in the pass game, and as Teddy indicated, running milks the clock and keeps your D off the field.

I am sure the SC coaches looked at the Pitt tape, as well as the tape from their game vs BC last year and said "we will run all day on these clowns".

When a team thinks they can run, but can't it always appears as if the coaches are being stubborn and stupid, when they really are not. All it takes if for one no-gain on 1st and 10 to ruin a drive and/or go 3 and out. Than it might not be a while to you see the ball again, at which point, you still think you can run, only to get stuffed again and put "off schedule". This will have to cycle itself through a few times, before you are able to say "oh shit, we can't run on these guys". By the time this happens, half the game may be over. On Saturday, SC had early offensive success, which delayed further the realization that they couldn't run. But when they went to the pass, we had a long stretch where we got the QB, even with only 4 rushing.

I don't think Sark called a bad game offensively. His kids just got outplayed.

On the defensive side, many times we saw what happens when you stuff the box to stop the run against a read-option attack that is executing well on fakes and blocks. Because everyone is up, we just needed to hit one seem to get it to the house. This is why many teams don't crown the box against good triple option attacks. Even though you know the run is coming, you don't know from where it will occur, and you need men back to create more time and better angles.

Going forward, I think that if our opponents think that they can play everyone up to stop the run, we may be able to feast on long runs if we are executing properly.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:20 pm

Having 5 OL and 4 TEs on the field makes crowding the box problematic. If BC can get to the edge against 8-9 in the box, which they can by design, your corners are coming up to stop the perimeter game only to be blocked by guys 40 pounds heavier than them.

It's a catch 22 when it is is clicking right.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Return to Alumni Stadium