Maine week

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Maine week

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:40 am

Good for New England and such
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Re: Maine week

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:49 am

Please dont do a very BC thing to do and lose to Maine after beating USC
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby wolverineneshl on Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:31 am

They need to work on the passing game in a game like this. We need to see new faces too who can catch the ball and when they need to, they will have to go to the passing game in some of these upcoming games.

I notice not only the obvious dropped passes but sometimes the timing and routs run by the receivers are not what it should be. I know this is the 1st and only year for Tyler Murphy but hopefully the receiving improves as week by week goes by. It is scary what is next year if they don't have a QB and skilled receiving corp. Daz needs to get good recruits for next year because who on the bench is capable ????
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:59 am

wolverineneshl {l Wrote}:They need to work on the passing game in a game like this. We need to see new faces too who can catch the ball and when they need to, they will have to go to the passing game in some of these upcoming games.

I notice not only the obvious dropped passes but sometimes the timing and routs run by the receivers are not what it should be. I know this is the 1st and only year for Tyler Murphy but hopefully the receiving improves as week by week goes by. It is scary what is next year if they don't have a QB and skilled receiving corp. Daz needs to get good recruits for next year because who on the bench is capable ????

There are good WRs on the bench. They just don't play
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:24 am

The bad pass catching WRs are part of the reason they get so many big runs. Just pointing that out, as infuriating as those three guys are in the pass game.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:25 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The bad pass catching WRs are part of the reason they get so many big runs. Just pointing that out, as infuriating as those three guys are in the pass game.

Exactly. If you're not going to throw anyway why bother
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:26 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The bad pass catching WRs are part of the reason they get so many big runs. Just pointing that out, as infuriating as those three guys are in the pass game.

I was also acknowledging that those three also block very well on the outside. Bordner, in particular.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:55 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I was also acknowledging that those three also block very well on the outside. Bordner, in particular.

Agreed. I seem to be in the minority here. But, I like Bordner at WR. Big tough kid, who is a hell of a blocker and who catches as poorly as anyone else on the name not named Shakim.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:03 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Agreed. I seem to be in the minority here. But, I like Bordner at WR. Big tough kid, who is a hell of a blocker and who catches as poorly as anyone else on the name not named Shakim.

I like him for what he brings to the position, and it definitely helps with the run-heavy game we want to use.

My issue is not with Brodner, but in that we start 2 other WRs with the same skill set (big, can block and can't catch).
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:10 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Agreed. I seem to be in the minority here. But, I like Bordner at WR. Big tough kid, who is a hell of a blocker and who catches as poorly as anyone else on the name not named Shakim.

I like him for what he brings to the position, and it definitely helps with the run-heavy game we want to use.

My issue is not with Brodner, but in that we start 2 other WRs with the same skill set (big, can block and can't catch).

Callinan is the best of the three overall, but if you are going to be that successful running, it really doesn't matter. Play all three
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby EagleManiac66 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:14 pm

wolverineneshl {l Wrote}:They need to work on the passing game in a game like this. We need to see new faces too who can catch the ball and when they need to, they will have to go to the passing game in some of these upcoming games.

I totally agree about working on the passing game vs. Maine. However, I would prefer burying them (Maine) with the platoon and QB running attack before we shift the focus to much. Go :screamyeagle :screamyeagle :screamyeagle 's
EagleManiac66
Carney Hall

Postby SiValEagle on Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:01 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Agreed. I seem to be in the minority here. But, I like Bordner at WR. Big tough kid, who is a hell of a blocker and who catches as poorly as anyone else on the name not named Shakim.

For you experts here, what do you call a player whose primary role is blocking (and the occasional dummy pass route), and is set wide?

Wide End? Full Forward?
SiValEagle
n00b

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:26 pm

wolverineneshl {l Wrote}:They need to work on the passing game in a game like this.

No. Run Maine out of the stadium and bench the starters ASAP. We don't need any injuries in this one.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:34 pm

Early forecast says clear all day and mid-60s at kickoff, but the temp when the tailgate lots open is supposed to be in the low 50s. :shock:
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:49 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Until I see Barksdale, Smith, McClary or Alston actually try to catch a pass, I still don't think this is true
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:34 pm

Coulda sworn that Murphy's 1st pass was to Alston?
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:34 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

this

Our WRs are basically TEs who cannot catch the ball all that well. that said, they are a HUGE reason why our running QB and our RBs are able to get the huge gains that we get.
Bordner has really impressed me this year in this role.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby rktbrkr on Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:54 am

Maybe I'm just bubbling over with enthusiasm after USC but I think the big three will start making some catches as the season progresses. A 4**** TE should be a top recruiting goal, he'd be playing as soon as he set foot on campus
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:50 am

rktbrkr {l Wrote}:Maybe I'm just bubbling over with enthusiasm after USC but I think the big three will start making some catches as the season progresses. A 4**** TE should be a top recruiting goal, he'd be playing as soon as he set foot on campus

No TE is coming here to block, which is basically what Giacone has been reduced to. The way the offense has evolved, it's a real shame they lost Trey Klock to GT, would have been a real interesting piece with the power sets
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:23 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Early forecast says clear all day and mid-60s at kickoff, but the temp when the tailgate lots open is supposed to be in the low 50s. :shock:

whalepants game!

:whalepants
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:29 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Early forecast says clear all day and mid-60s at kickoff, but the temp when the tailgate lots open is supposed to be in the low 50s. :shock:

whalepants game!

I'm not ready to let go of my jorts.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:08 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

whalepants game!

I'm not ready to let go of my jorts.

nonetheless, the trannies are going to keep pulling at them
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:18 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
rktbrkr {l Wrote}:Maybe I'm just bubbling over with enthusiasm after USC but I think the big three will start making some catches as the season progresses. A 4**** TE should be a top recruiting goal, he'd be playing as soon as he set foot on campus

No TE is coming here to block, which is basically what Giacone has been reduced to. The way the offense has evolved, it's a real shame they lost Trey Klock to GT, would have been a real interesting piece with the power sets

Eh, the end goal of this offense is to look more like Florida. Daz recruited Aaron Hernandez to this offense. Once they have what they want in place with all Daz guys, this is going to look more Chip Kelly than Stanford - more Alstons than Borders.

From a philosophical standpoint (as opposed to play to play calling, which is up in the air at times) I like this staff. They see what they have and they adapt. Murphy might not be as good a thrower as they want, but he can run and they have great backs, so instead of putting the frosh WRs out there and forcing a square peg into a round hole, they go big at WR and show people something they have never seen - the spread with 5 OT and 3-4 TEs. Last year, they went big and ran between the tackles with 7 OL. As time passes, I think the offense becomes more diverse.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:48 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

Eh, the end goal of this offense is to look more like Florida. Daz recruited Aaron Hernandez to this offense. Once they have what they want in place with all Daz guys, this is going to look more Chip Kelly than Stanford - more Alstons than Borders.

From a philosophical standpoint (as opposed to play to play calling, which is up in the air at times) I like this staff. They see what they have and they adapt. Murphy might not be as good a thrower as they want, but he can run and they have great backs, so instead of putting the frosh WRs out there and forcing a square peg into a round hole, they go big at WR and show people something they have never seen - the spread with 5 OT and 3-4 TEs. Last year, they went big and ran between the tackles with 7 OL. As time passes, I think the offense becomes more diverse.

I've heard Daz speak to it last year and again this year. He plays the hand that's dealt. He caters his offense around the talent that he has available. He focuses on putting kids in the best position to succeed. It was also a hallmark of Jags/Logan. It was the opposite for TOB and Spaz.

Daz has a system that he would like to play. He is recruiting kids in such a manner that one day he can play it. But, until then, the offense needs to suit the players. He's talked in the past how he failed to maximize John Brantley's abilities (Brantley, BTW, did statistically worse the following season under Muschamp/Weis). I think it is a good thing when a coach is forced out of his comfort zone. I think the failures with Brantley better prepared Daz in handling Rettig (who had some very, very good games from us towards the end of the year). I also think that when a coach leaves their comfort zone, it makes their preferred system even better. If Daz stays on for 5 more years, what we will likely see is something that is similar... but not exactly the same as Florida. It will essentially be an evolved version of that system and include plays/formations/personnel-packages that Daz would never have used but-for his experience during his first two seasons at BC.

On an aside, while I still think Frye is our best coach and Washington is our most valuable recruiter... I think the guy that I have been most surprised by is Day. I was not a fan of his hiring, but he has been spectacular in my opinion. I know ATL has always been a fanboy (talking about his pedigree and the midnight oil he burns). Day has done a tremendous job adjusting the offense week-to-week. I think he's also done a fantastic job calling plays. Can't really think of a game where I felt he did poorly. [For the record, people who constantly bitch about play-calling are the worst. They fancy themselves experts after years playing Madden with a strapped-on headset. It is the laziest critique possible (that play didn't work... with the luxury of hindsight, I would have done a different play that would have been better).]
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:50 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

I've heard Daz speak to it last year and again this year. He plays the hand that's dealt. He caters his offense around the talent that he has available. He focuses on putting kids in the best position to succeed. It was also a hallmark of Jags/Logan. It was the opposite for TOB and Spaz.

Daz has a system that he would like to play. He is recruiting kids in such a manner that one day he can play it. But, until then, the offense needs to suit the players. He's talked in the past how he failed to maximize John Brantley's abilities (Brantley, BTW, did statistically worse the following season under Muschamp/Weis). I think it is a good thing when a coach is forced out of his comfort zone. I think the failures with Brantley better prepared Daz in handling Rettig (who had some very, very good games from us towards the end of the year). I also think that when a coach leaves their comfort zone, it makes their preferred system even better. If Daz stays on for 5 more years, what we will likely see is something that is similar... but not exactly the same as Florida. It will essentially be an evolved version of that system and include plays/formations/personnel-packages that Daz would never have used but-for his experience during his first two seasons at BC.

On an aside, while I still think Frye is our best coach and Washington is our most valuable recruiter... I think the guy that I have been most surprised by is Day. I was not a fan of his hiring, but he has been spectacular in my opinion. I know ATL has always been a fanboy (talking about his pedigree and the midnight oil he burns). Day has done a tremendous job adjusting the offense week-to-week. I think he's also done a fantastic job calling plays. Can't really think of a game where I felt he did poorly. [For the record, people who constantly bitch about play-calling are the worst. They fancy themselves experts after years playing Madden with a strapped-on headset. It is the laziest critique possible (that play didn't work... with the luxury of hindsight, I would have done a different play that would have been better).]

Day's play calling is erratic at best. I can admit he has called some nice games, but for every USC there is a Pitt, where after the game the head coach is borderline questioning the decision to go to the pass after the interception. The play calling against Pitt was a disaster, and there were a few total bombs last season. Overall, not horrible and he is learning, but to say he has been good with no bad games is sort of ignoring an awful lot.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:55 am

I'll take the critique of him being too aggressive or throwing too often... when the fears we all had was that he would be the exact opposite. I think that we had to suffer through the Pitt game to realize that Murphy can't throw. Daz even spoke to that this week... saying that performances to start the season tend to be uneven because you are finding out what your team can and can't do against a real opponent. He went on to say that he doesn't totally want to abandon the pass and said that the WRs and the passing game actually looks good in practice (insert Matt-Ryan-Senior-Year comment here). This also led him to talk about the importance of scheduling down. He specifically mentioned that Schiano grew Rutgers by scheduling no one and that is what he would like to do so that when we can still get wins while breaking eggs figuring out what we can and can't do. In fairness, he mentioned it by also pointing out that we basically have the toughest conference schedule of any ACC team as we have Clem, FSU and Ville in the division and VT as our cross-over.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:31 am

Based on USC, I think Murphy throws just fine and that Pitt was an aberration. That said, as long as it is not between the tackles every down, they should not throw that often - play action will be wide open, as it was Saturday night with all the drops (and Shakim's catch)
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:44 am

if there's one thing i'm not worried about this week, it's our defense

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:58 am

HJS {l Wrote}: This also led him to talk about the importance of scheduling down.

That would be good for season ticket sales.

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, I believe the ACC adopted a rule making it a requirement for its schools to play at least one Big 5/ND out-of-conference game a year. Assuming that's the case, I don't think the schedule can get much easier than it's been the last few years. I think BC needs to figure out a way to get Army on the schedule every year. That way, they don't have to play a tougher team like Colorado St. and it's a great/easy roadtrip for BC fans. So...as it's been said before, have Army, New England school and UMass/MAC plus a Big 5/ND. Preferably not Rutgers, Maryland or WVU. Almost every other Big 5 school, with the exception of some middling Big 10/12 teams, is appealing.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:01 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}: This also led him to talk about the importance of scheduling down.

That would be good for season ticket sales.

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, I believe the ACC adopted a rule making it a requirement for its schools to play at least one Big 5/ND out-of-conference game a year. Assuming that's the case, I don't think the schedule can get much easier than it's been the last few years. I think BC needs to figure out a way to get Army on the schedule every year. That way, they don't have to play a tougher team like Colorado St. and it's a great/easy roadtrip for BC fans. So...as it's been said before, have Army, New England school and UMass/MAC plus a Big 5/ND. Preferably not Rutgers, Maryland or WVU. Almost every other Big 5 school, with the exception of some middling Big 10/12 teams, is appealing.

Can we just create a smilie that stands for: "For the OOC schedule, BC should play one service academy, one "good for New England" game, one biggun and then either a MAC school or Umass - provided we never play Rutgers or UConn." That would save a lot of time.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium