BC/PITT game thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: BC/PITT game thread

Postby claver2010 on Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:02 pm

BCdee {l Wrote}:Image

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bosa90 on Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:20 pm

I can't believe eepsteein is still a thing but whatever. BC sucked today. The Gonzaga HS College Eagles did not. Circle of life. Die eepsteen and all will be well.

:dildodog
bosa90
McGuinn Hall

Postby StratEagle on Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:21 pm

Does it bother anyone else that we have not had competent QB play in almost a decade?
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:44 pm

Disappointing, but massive overreaction in this thread.

- We knew the front seven wasn't great, and they got beat by a good line and a strong back. That's going to happen when we've fallen this far from Raji, Brace and Kiwi up front.

- Murphy is a good QB, but he's not one of the nations best. Better than playing a true freshman or Bordner, but let's not pretend that this Florida QB was going to be starting in the SEC this year.

- Skill positions are still young. DB's burned. Receivers dropping balls. All should be expected.

Forget the fact that this is only season #2, this is only game #2 in the second season. Daz is turning it around, but let's not forget how far we fell under Spaz.

The 10-2 dream dies hard every year.

Oh, and trust the staff...
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby StratEagle on Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:57 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Disappointing, but massive overreaction in this thread.

- We knew the front seven wasn't great, and they got beat by a good line and a strong back. That's going to happen when we've fallen this far from Raji, Brace and Kiwi up front.

- Murphy is a good QB, but he's not one of the nations best. Better than playing a true freshman or Bordner, but let's not pretend that this Florida QB was going to be starting in the SEC this year.

- Skill positions are still young. DB's burned. Receivers dropping balls. All should be expected.

Forget the fact that this is only season #2, this is only game #2 in the second season. Daz is turning it around, but let's not forget how far we fell under Spaz.

I trust the staff's ability to vastly improve the overall talent level, but if you really trust their in game play calling and adjustments after watching this dumpster fire, you need to get your eyes checked.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:13 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Disappointing, but massive overreaction in this thread.

I trust the staff's ability to vastly improve the overall talent level, but if you really trust their in game play calling and adjustments after watching this dumpster fire, you need to get your eyes checked.

Sorry. I meant to say "trust the staff.".
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:37 pm

Give Pitt credit, their OL was dominant and they have good backs. I was impressed with them. With that schedule, they should end up with a good record. That being said, we sucked in every way possible. BC needs to play all of the freshmen WRs and they need to play from beginning to end. Callinan, Crimmins, Bordner, etc. will not cut it. Of course, I don't think Murphy can get them the ball on a regular basis. Crimmins dropped some balls, but none of those throws were perfect. Definitely shades of 2008 ACC Championship QB debacle. It's going to be a long season. 3-5 wins overall - UMass, Maine, Wake Forest and maybe NCSU or CSU.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Hoopsnerd on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:10 am

The worst thing about the game was the crowd/turnout, which was absolutely cringeworthy.

BC didn't play great, but that's not that surprising because they're not very good and super young. Pitt's a solid team. I think they'll win 7-8 regular season games.

Addazio's game management was pretty awful, but it didn't cost them the game. And watching Chryst on the sideline (a walking zombie) gives me appreciation for Dazzler's intensity.

I didn't think the defensive game plan was great, but our linebackers can't tackle which makes everything look worse. Offensively, we did some nice things. We don't have legit wide receivers or a QB that can throw, but this offense should still be decently fun to watch. The O-line looks fine.

We lost to a better team. Happily, most of our games the rest of the way are against teams worse than Pitt.
Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.
Hoopsnerd
n00b

Postby durkcal on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:41 am

Josh Keyes should be forced to watch that game tape like the scene in "Clockwork Orange". And if he doesn't want to be a three down LB, then only put him in to rush on third downs. Actually the way he avoided contact tonight was embarrassing for BC safeties. At least Manny Asprilla (CB) came up to get run over.

I was afraid our schedule was rough for this squad. And tonight put that on full display. The unfortunate piece is that this season could set back the momentum of the program tremendously.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby rktbrkr on Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:39 am

It's going to be a long season. 3-5 wins overall - UMass, Maine, Wake Forest and maybe NCSU or CSU.

Yes, barring upsets or injury to Murphy.

When the season started there wasn't a single player on defense that would be considered even a small "s" star, Mehdi coming off a bad injury is probably the best, it's hard to say. On offense Murphy, a transferring part timer at FL is the best, a running QB who throws like a running QB.

BC isn't an NFL vocational school but the dearth of talent becomes painfully obvious going up against a team like Pitt, the OL might start 5 4/5 year players but none of them is NFL quality like the old OLU. Unless BC starts recruiting more talented players their ceiling will be occasional low level bowls like last year and thats exactly what the masses expected when they joined the ACC. The three new ACC adds have immediately jumped ahead of them.
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Postby maxwell22 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:54 am

Murphy was a good running back last night! He was not a good QB . . . 10 for 27 is awful.
But let's look on the bright side . . . it will be worse next year! We have to replace the entire O-line: we go with unproven talent at QB; the Defensive line will be decimated by graduation,etc.
maxwell22
Carney Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:19 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Higgi is a terrible gag and utterly unoriginal. Also, Murphy isn't "much better" than any passable D1 quarterback.

That was one of the worst passing performances I have ever seen from a BC QB. Missing a once-in-a-lifetime wide open Crimmins after the interception was a game changer.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby rktbrkr on Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:20 am

Dazz needs to scoop up some more 5th year transfers to shore things up, better check the FL roster to see whats going to be available, disgruntled part timers and former starters without NFL prospects
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Postby rktbrkr on Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:24 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Higgi is a terrible gag and utterly unoriginal. Also, Murphy isn't "much better" than any passable D1 quarterback.

That was one of the worst passing performances I have ever seen from a BC QB. Missing a once-in-a-lifetime wide open Crimmins after the interception was a game changer.

that duck he bounced at Bordner's feet too,this is his 5th year as college QB and he can't complete a swing pass, lucky Bordner realized it was a lat and covered it
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:39 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Which is why I enjoyed both teddy and higgi posting how great Murphy is as a passer... AFTER watching yesterday's performance.

Shit is pretty simple. We will lose to teams who can take away the run (which will be much easier to do this year than last). Murphy is not a good thrower and our receivers aren't good... and definitely not good enough to adjust to his passes. All said, when a BC opponent reaches 17 points, the game should be called. With Donnie Brown as DC, that means most games will be over by halftime.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:50 am

Positives
1. The traffic. I left downtown Boston at 5:00, stopped for beer, chips and ice and was tailgating at 5:45. Was shocked at how little traffic there was on the Pike.
B. The weather. Just a spectacular early September evening. Warm, no humidity with a gentle breeze.
iii. The Superfans. They were there in mass for the first half (but see negatives to follow).
IV. Hot dogs. No possibility of a real tailgating on a Friday night unless you take the day off so I was dependent on the stadium concessions for food, other than chips (see 1 above). The two hot dogs I had were solid.
e. I made it home safely and Mrs. Ortiz was not mad at me this morning, she usually is the morning after a BC night game.
nothing else.

Negatives and general observations later.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:14 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Which is why I enjoyed both teddy and higgi posting how great Murphy is as a passer... AFTER watching yesterday's performance.

Shit is pretty simple. We will lose to teams who can take away the run (which will be much easier to do this year than last). Murphy is not a good thrower and our receivers aren't good... and definitely not good enough to adjust to his passes. All said, when a BC opponent reaches 17 points, the game should be called. With Donnie Brown as DC, that means most games will be over by halftime.

No one said he was a great passer you dipshit. Said he was a better football player than rettig.

Pretty sure Murphy's night was Don Brown's fault are you?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:18 am

For the record bc got mauled between the tackles on both sides of the ball. As much as anyone wants to blame shit playcalling or Murphy gagging on passes or Don Brown for whatever reason I am not sure it really matters. BC got annihilated at the point of attack.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:26 am

It was comical after a while watching BC defensive players trying to "tackle" that truck up around the shoulders.....paper this am says Pitt averaged 8.6 per carry in first half. It appeared that Pitt had perfected the old "flying wedge" right up the gut, they were waltzing through the middle so effortlessly. Of course they waltzed off-tackle fairly regularly as well. This was a "no contest", wood shed beat down after the opening series of downs.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:34 am

Rktbrkr is thoroughly enjoying last nights result. I dislike that poster.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCdee on Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:43 am

Last night's passing game was like Dom Davis 2.0.
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby Mitch on Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:54 am

Any time you have a new QB and a number of new starters on offense---it is going to take a few games for them to settle in. Murphy has talent---the line could be formidable once again---the quartet of RBs is promising---and there's some added size and speed at WR.

In the interim, the defense has to play much better than they did last night, obviously. They got beat up by a very good and experienced o-line and by a true stud 6-2, 240 pound hammer RB. BC's pass coverage was tighter than normal, but got beat on some perfectly threaded passes. It looks like we have a much more athletic pass rush too---which bodes well if the d-line can be more physical in the upcoming games, and if the linebackers aren't as tentative in making their reads and racing downhill to the ball with authority.

What really has to stop are the defensive 2 minute drill meltdowns that plagued the team last year and for many years in a row. The improved pass rush and tighter coverage could be the answer.

We are more athletic than we have been for quite some time. We are starting to look like a bonafide ACC team. But last night we got beat by our own formula of winning the lines of scrimmage, pounding the ball on the ground and making timely stops on defense.

I feel encouraged, rather than discouraged---and I believe this loss will motivate the team and potentially accelerate the team's growth.
Mitch
n00b

Postby DuchesneEast on Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:55 am

One thing about the play calling, on the 2nd drive they tried to mix in some short passes. They were good calls, the receivers were wide open and Murphy missed them horribly. I think that was the 1st sign of being screwed. We can probably be as accurate, thats how bad some of those throws were.

Since Wade's redshirt is already burned, I would like to see him play a bit more in games. Maybe one series a game.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:06 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

No one said he was a great passer you dipshit. Said he was a better football player than rettig.

Pretty sure Murphy's night was Don Brown's fault are you?

If by FB player you mean that he is a better RB/WR/DB/LB than Rettig could ever be... I agree. But, he sure as hell isn't a better QB. Only you and higgi think otherwise (and it allegedly ain't even close). I think that is cute.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:07 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:One thing about the play calling, on the 2nd drive they tried to mix in some short passes. They were good calls, the receivers were wide open and Murphy missed them horribly. I think that was the 1st sign of being screwed. We can probably be as accurate, thats how bad some of those throws were.

Since Wade's redshirt is already burned, I would like to see him play a bit more in games. Maybe one series a game.

The return of the 2nd Quarter experiment... I too think they should mix in Wade more.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:09 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:For the record bc got mauled between the tackles on both sides of the ball. As much as anyone wants to blame shit playcalling or Murphy gagging on passes or Don Brown for whatever reason I am not sure it really matters. BC got annihilated at the point of attack.

This was the biggest problem.

For how awful we played, the Keyes Whiff and two awful Murphy wide open misses were 17 points left out on the field.

If the lines played like last week and we could just clean up some of these easy plays they could still get to 6 wins.

I'm inclined to chalk yesterday up to an off game. The penalties need to be fixed though
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:09 am

BCdee {l Wrote}:Last night's passing game was like Dom Davis 2.0.

Unfortunately, Murphy doesn't have 3 more years of eligibility left.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:11 am

Why are people talking about us being young and Pitt being experienced? Didn't the announcers say last night that Pitt is the youngest team in the ACC???
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:11 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
BCdee {l Wrote}:Last night's passing game was like Dom Davis 2.0.

Unfortunately, Murphy doesn't have 3 more years of eligibility left.

I can't imagine Wade throws any worse than what I saw last night and I think he has better speed, but USC on National TV is not the time to try it out.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:12 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Why are people talking about us being young and Pitt being experienced? Didn't the announcers say last night that Pitt is the youngest team in the ACC???

On the whole young there, where are the 4* WRs and DB in these recruiting classes?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium