umass ingame comment thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: umass ingame comment thread

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:03 pm

Allston is awesome. I left that out also.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:15 pm

BC did what they needed to do, nothing more. Real season starts on Friday. Rouse looked good, but Hilliman looks ready and should start taking some of his reps.

Good showing by BC fans and students. Horrible showing by UMass fans. I think BC had more fans at the game. Rt. 1 traffic heading into Gillette sucked. Loud speakers over my head also sucked.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby durkcal on Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:27 pm

Pitt, Colorado St and now USC have all been looking VERY good. Hopefully Louisville looks lousy on Monday night.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:02 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Touche eepstein

Was sitting w a fellow nexus member and said to him Epstein probably climaxed at Sylvia diving at that wrs ankles as he ran by

As Epstein hit on great turnout by BC fans, especially the :ugeek: apparently there were 60 buses from BC

Callinan is huge (tre ool) concerned abt WRs as well

Allston is fun to watch

Impressive by the D outside of the 1 breakdown
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:10 pm

I think the deep threat is on the roster. Just saw very little of Phillips/McClary. Barks dale looked okay
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby NJM89 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:44 am

Hilliman looks real good and should see more carries especially on the goaline. And for you redshirt junkies Nat Dixon also came in with Wade and Outlow at the end.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:02 am

Austin Tedesco @Tedescau
Harris Williams will be out for a while, ankle injury, per Addazio. No specific details yet.

Did not look good
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby MaxxPower325 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:15 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I think the deep threat is on the roster. Just saw very little of Phillips/McClary. Barks dale looked okay

Phillips had a sure TD bounce off his hands.
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:40 am

Iggle {l Wrote}:there was like, a 3 play stretch where BC didn't get many yards running the ball up the gut. That was about it. No reason to show your hand against a UMass team that at no point (even when we had only 6 points) really looked like they could handle the vanilla. And even our vanilla was run out of a bunch of different sets. It was fun to watch.

i agree with this.
everyone knew we were going to run the ball the entire game against an undersized, underskilled umass team. prior to the game, i thought we would run the andre williams (formerly known as the dana bible) offense with our new backs i.e.run the ball up the middle until the defense wears down in the second half.
instead, we showed multiple formations, some zone read, 1 hb option, etc.

if you enjoy the intricacies of football, then i thought the game was interesting to watch (with the exception of the play-by-play who drove me insane).
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle216 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:31 am

This game was 100% exactly what I expected. A "boring" run oriented offense similar to last year, but with a QB who can run. Similar to recent years, almost no downfield threat, no WRs that scare anyone, and no hope in obvious passing downs. This offense will get rocketshipped by FSU, USC, and probably Clemson, but I think we all knew that. Against the rest of the schedule, I think we will move the chains more, and probably score more points. Season will rest on the efficiency of the D. Probably looking at the same type of season as last year, which is not necessarily a bad thing I guess.

BTW, my computer feed was excellent. Great consistent picture throughout.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby Bunratty on Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:07 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The redshirt people are fucking stupid. Seriously, shut the fuck up.

Perfect game. Simmons effed up a coverage and Murphy made a bad pass. Otherwise exactly what I wanted to see.

Pretty sure that Bryce Jones had the receiver and released him to Sean Sylvia, who blew the coverage badly. Simmons was the guy trying to run him down; however, it was Sylvia who effed up in the first place.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:38 pm

Decided to take this game in at the last minute. Great day for football in a nice environment. I thought Umass would have more people there for their Super Bowl. BC student section was fantastic, 60 buses. Bravo. BC got way more fans into Gillette than I expected. For the record I had a drunk Umass fan in his 40s in his Umass basketball shirt that brought his kids and yelled like a jackass the whole time thinking he was some Jerry Seinfeld I'm funny and I'm going to yell all of my stupid thoughts out so everyone can hear them types. :gun Learn the fuckin rules on intentional grounding and every other rule you dipshit.

As for the game, I am pretty satisfied. Ill-timed penalties cut down on BC's ability to put up points in the first half but they did methodically go down the field with a very vanilla game plan all day long.

Still not sure what to think of the WRs. Shakim dropping a TD did not make me feel good. Others were impressive, Bordner looked nice. Barksdale looked good as did Crimmins and Callinan. Still no Swigert.

Secondary. As others have mentioned, Sylvia struggles out there. Yes he blew chunks all over the field on the long TD but he also missed on a 3rd down swing pass that was converted in the first half that the Umass player caught with one hand. I'm sure there were other issues he had that I missed. He's basically like the white kid in Remember the Titans that gets pulled for Petey. Doesn't have the speed to get it done.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:35 pm

Its apparent that Sylvia just isnt fast enough to be a DB at this level, I mean he looked slow against UMASS, imagine what happens when you get real athletes at WR. I would love to see them transition him to a Josh Keyes/Matt Milano (what they hope he turns into)/Kevin Akins type linebacker in certain blitzing packages. For whatever he lacks in speed (as a defensive back), he more than makes up for in being an above average tackler. I think the big question is if they can find enough guys in the defensive backfield to have any type of depth.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:12 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Its apparent that Sylvia just isnt fast enough to be a DB at this level, I mean he looked slow against UMASS, imagine what happens when you get real athletes at WR. I would love to see them transition him to a Josh Keyes/Matt Milano (what they hope he turns into)/Kevin Akins type linebacker in certain blitzing packages. For whatever he lacks in speed (as a defensive back), he more than makes up for in being an above average tackler. I think the big question is if they can find enough guys in the defensive backfield to have any type of depth.

Everyone coming around to my point of view on Slyvia, etc. is hilarious. I've been making this point for years. Last basketball season it was the "oh wait Lonnie Jackson isn't very good" realization.

I also contend that was Simmon's screw up. The coaches were all over him after that play and didn't say a thing to Slyvia.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:07 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Its apparent that Sylvia just isnt fast enough to be a DB at this level, I mean he looked slow against UMASS, imagine what happens when you get real athletes at WR. I would love to see them transition him to a Josh Keyes/Matt Milano (what they hope he turns into)/Kevin Akins type linebacker in certain blitzing packages. For whatever he lacks in speed (as a defensive back), he more than makes up for in being an above average tackler. I think the big question is if they can find enough guys in the defensive backfield to have any type of depth.

Everyone coming around to my point of view on Slyvia, etc. is hilarious. I've been making this point for years. Last basketball season it was the "oh wait Lonnie Jackson isn't very good" realization.

I also contend that was Simmon's screw up. The coaches were all over him after that play and didn't say a thing to Slyvia.

No one has ever disagreed with you re: Sylvia. Im sure the majority wondered why you bring it up every third post, but now know its because you thought someone was arguing with you.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:27 pm

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:Decided to take this game in at the last minute. Great day for football in a nice environment. I thought Umass would have more people there for their Super Bowl. BC student section was fantastic, 60 buses. Bravo. BC got way more fans into Gillette than I expected. For the record I had a drunk Umass fan in his 40s in his Umass basketball shirt that brought his kids and yelled like a jackass the whole time thinking he was some Jerry Seinfeld I'm funny and I'm going to yell all of my stupid thoughts out so everyone can hear them types. :gun Learn the fuckin rules on intentional grounding and every other rule you dipshit.

As for the game, I am pretty satisfied. Ill-timed penalties cut down on BC's ability to put up points in the first half but they did methodically go down the field with a very vanilla game plan all day long.

Still not sure what to think of the WRs. Shakim dropping a TD did not make me feel good. Others were impressive, Bordner looked nice. Barksdale looked good as did Crimmins and Callinan. Still no Swigert.

Secondary. As others have mentioned, Sylvia struggles out there. Yes he blew chunks all over the field on the long TD but he also missed on a 3rd down swing pass that was converted in the first half that the Umass player caught with one hand. I'm sure there were other issues he had that I missed. He's basically like the white kid in Remember the Titans that gets pulled for Petey. Doesn't have the speed to get it done.

IIRC, tried to throw the ball to Shakim with 3 guys on him. It would have been a insanely tough ball to bring down although i thought he put in a good effort.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby IgnacioA26er on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:06 am

You got cookies? I'll take a snicker doodle if you are still offering.
IgnacioA26er
n00b

Postby claver2010 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:04 pm

Some stuff from Daz's presser:

Harris Williams had ankle surgery, out for a while.
They're going to keep the 2 kicker deal going until 1 establishes.
He thinks the WR as a group is far more advanced than last year
Saw the desire to stretch the field horizontally with the fly sweeps etc on Saturday wants to stretch it more vertically.
Concerned about the hits Murphy takes, really likes DWade but he is a true FR.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:46 pm

Against the real DBs we're going to see the next two weeks he isn't going to be too happy with the three guys that started Saturday.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium