9 fumbles

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 9 fumbles

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:19 pm

durkcal {l Wrote}:...Watch the comments Spaz is making ...

wait, what
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:26 pm

Daz had a recruiting class last year (when including two top 5th year transfers and 2 very solid 5th years) that was better than the previous four, including the ones that Rettig, Amidon and Williams were in. To ignore those players entirely, when they are almost one third of the team, simply because you haven't seen them play, is idiotic. My prediction would be that no less than 12 freshman and the 4 5th years will see significant minutes.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hinghameagle on Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:10 pm

I am not stating that the Oline will be weak, just maybe not as good as last years. I advocate the screen pass for a few reasons. 1. it was out of the playbook last year because either andre couldnt catch, or they would just assume hand it to him. The rb's this year have the potential to be very shifty. Andre didnt need space, he could run through you. Willis, rouse, and depending on the Alston depolyment are all guys that could dazzle in space.

2. If they are going true spread offense, do they feel like they have the right personnel to run it. Are they athletic enough. I still think at the end of the day BC will end up more times than not in a power fromation. that seems to be Dazz's personality, irregardless of what he says. Bc could run power all day last year becuase they had a running back who was a bulldozer and near impossible to tackle one on one. they dont have that guy this year, and I am not complety sure I trust Dazz to see this and alter his gameplan.

My prediction of BC struggling on offense, I guess could be changed if Murphy comes out and is a 60-65% passer and can pick up first downs with his feet.

I am not sure it is applicable now, but we had a one year reprieve from the offensive doldrums due to andre havuing an unforseen breakout year. the two years before that we were among the bottom 10% in offense in the country. Are we that way again without Andre?
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:32 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:I am not stating that the Oline will be weak, just maybe not as good as last years. I advocate the screen pass for a few reasons. 1. it was out of the playbook last year because either andre couldnt catch, or they would just assume hand it to him. The rb's this year have the potential to be very shifty. Andre didnt need space, he could run through you. Willis, rouse, and depending on the Alston depolyment are all guys that could dazzle in space.

2. If they are going true spread offense, do they feel like they have the right personnel to run it. Are they athletic enough. I still think at the end of the day BC will end up more times than not in a power fromation. that seems to be Dazz's personality, irregardless of what he says. Bc could run power all day last year becuase they had a running back who was a bulldozer and near impossible to tackle one on one. they dont have that guy this year, and I am not complety sure I trust Dazz to see this and alter his gameplan.

My prediction of BC struggling on offense, I guess could be changed if Murphy comes out and is a 60-65% passer and can pick up first downs with his feet.

I am not sure it is applicable now, but we had a one year reprieve from the offensive doldrums due to andre havuing an unforseen breakout year. the two years before that we were among the bottom 10% in offense in the country. Are we that way again without Andre?

A few points.

1) Andre was here for 3 years before last season - three seasons you yourself noted involved sucky offense (which is not actually true - look at Rettig's stats the year before and you will see that the offenses were similar, just one threw more and didn't possess the ball, which was a formula for disaster with that defense.

2) Addazio was the offensive coordinator at Florida under Urban Meyer and Ryan Day is a Chip Kelly disciple. They ran a ton of spread at Temple. Suggesting that their personality is one that leans toward power seems to ignore everything except the one season that they had a pro style QB and a pounding RB. The heavy recruitment of Wade as the primary QB option of the future makes their plans pretty evident.

3) If you were at the Spring game, you would have seen two of the best athletes in the conference playing QB and RB at BC. They are perfectly capable of playing the spread, even before you account for the freshmen.

4) Reports out of camp are that they run a ton of short passing and bubble screens - think WVU - with Murphy in an attempt to get the young speed the ball on the edges. That reeks of spread.

5) All of that said, I do expect them to mix in the power run game.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 31southst on Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:46 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
A few points.

1) Andre was here for 3 years before last season - three seasons you yourself noted involved sucky offense (which is not actually true - look at Rettig's stats the year before and you will see that the offenses were similar, just one threw more and didn't possess the ball, which was a formula for disaster with that defense.

2) Addazio was the offensive coordinator at Florida under Urban Meyer and Ryan Day is a Chip Kelly disciple. They ran a ton of spread at Temple. Suggesting that their personality is one that leans toward power seems to ignore everything except the one season that they had a pro style QB and a pounding RB. The heavy recruitment of Wade as the primary QB option of the future makes their plans pretty evident.

3) If you were at the Spring game, you would have seen two of the best athletes in the conference playing QB and RB at BC. They are perfectly capable of playing the spread, even before you account for the freshmen.

4) Reports out of camp are that they run a ton of short passing and bubble screens - think WVU - with Murphy in an attempt to get the young speed the ball on the edges. That reeks of spread.

5) All of that said, I do expect them to mix in the power run game.

Addazio has essentially said as much - we're incorporating spread elements and moving that direction but BC will maintain it's identity as a power rushing team with a strong OL.

http://www.bceagles.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020514aag.html

On if the team will change to a spread offense
"No. We have an identity and we'll keep it. Being big and physical and being able to run it, we won't lose that. We'll add some spread option components and use more spread sets in the throw game, we'll add that to it. We'll give the defense more conflict and make them defend the whole field more. How about Chase Rettig at the end of the year starting to use his feet a bit? You saw what that did for us. These are a couple guys who can move, they can run, and that in itself will open things up a bit."
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:05 am

Twood: The offense was patently horrendous for the two years before Andre's break out. horrendous. Bottom of the NCaa horrendous. Rettig's stats are meaningless: Here is BC's ppg scored against Div. 1 opponents form 2011 and 2012:

2011:
Vs. northwestern: 17
Vs. UCF: 3
Vs. Duke: 19
Vs. Wake 19
Vs. clemson 14
Vs. VT: 14
Vs. Md 28
Vs. Fsu: 7
Vs. NCST 14
Vs. ND 14
Vs. Miami 24

Totoal points scored 173. Games 11: ppg. 15.7. Absolutely horrendous. Two games in the 20's all year, and that is no exactly a heavyweight schedule.
2012 was a tick better but still brutal 204 points. Games 11. ppg. 18.5. Brutal.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:07 am

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:Twood: The offense was patently horrendous for the two years before Andre's break out. horrendous. Bottom of the NCaa horrendous. Rettig's stats are meaningless: Here is BC's ppg scored against Div. 1 opponents form 2011 and 2012:

2011:
Vs. northwestern: 17
Vs. UCF: 3
Vs. Duke: 19
Vs. Wake 19
Vs. clemson 14
Vs. VT: 14
Vs. Md 28
Vs. Fsu: 7
Vs. NCST 14
Vs. ND 14
Vs. Miami 24

Totoal points scored 173. Games 11: ppg. 15.7. Absolutely horrendous. Two games in the 20's all year, and that is no exactly a heavyweight schedule.
2012 was a tick better but still brutal 204 points. Games 11. ppg. 18.5. Brutal.

Andre was also the RB in those two seasons. Occam's Razor.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hinghameagle on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:34 am

Andre was not the big ball carrier in those two seasons. He was injured and doghoused.

2011: 124 carries. 12.4 per game
2012: 130 carries 14.4 per game
2013: 355 carries. 27.3 per game.

almost triple the amount of carries as in any season before, and double the amount per game.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:25 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:Andre was not the big ball carrier in those two seasons. He was injured and doghoused.

almost triple the amount of carries as in any season before, and double the amount per game.

I frankly have no clue what your point is anymore.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:03 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}:Andre was not the big ball carrier in those two seasons. He was injured and doghoused.

i thought it was that you were made of wood.
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:50 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

i thought it was that you were made of wood.

They did the nose.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium