9 fumbles

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

9 fumbles

Postby rktbrkr on Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:15 am

9 fumbles and a bunch of ints in yesterday's scrimmage. Now it was just a scrimmage but I think everybody expects an effective QB run/pitch option type game but Murphy is new, former PTer QB, and Willis was PT RB. If these two don't mesh right out of the box (and avoid injury) the 500ish season forecasts could be overly optimistic.
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Re: 9 fumbles

Postby EagleNYC on Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:26 am

It was 9 turnovers, 5 fumbles, 4 int. Reading Addazio's quotes, the ints were on the WR due to drops/bobbles. He went out of his way to credit Murphy. He blamed the freshmen, so i read that as Outlow/Hilliman. I'm glad we're starting with UMass. I think we'll be ok.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:35 pm

Daz said that the WRs were awful and they're going to increase scrimmages.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:15 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:Looks like no redshirt for wade.

"Wade in the shade
Freshman quarterback Darius Wade has missed both scrimmages with hamstring issues.
Wade has shown substantial growth in practice, but Addazio decided against risking additional injury in a game simulation. He insisted that Wade is not a redshirt candidate."

http://bostonherald.com/sports/college/college_football/2014/08/bc_notebook_offense_in_a_giving_mood

http://soaringtoglory.com/2014/08/16/august-16-boston-college-football-scrimmage-storified/

pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:32 am

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:It was 9 turnovers, 5 fumbles, 4 int.

Phew. I was worried for a minute.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Onyx Blackman on Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:31 pm

I see this as evidence of Don Brown's genius.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:02 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:I see this as evidence of Don Brown's genius.

I will kick you in the face.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:02 pm

You know, Chickster, watching an intrasquad scrimmage is like driving a Cadillac over your mother-in-law. You're glad she's dead, but sad you didn't get the undercoating and you're like, rats, I wish I had a cookie. So, you know, UConn must be so jealous we stole Don Brown.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:05 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:You know, Chickster, watching an intrasquad scrimmage is like driving a Cadillac over your mother-in-law. You're glad she's dead, but sad you didn't get the undercoating and you're like, rats, I wish I had a cookie. So, you know, UConn must be so jealous we stole Don Brown.

SNARKNADO!!!
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Brooklyneagle on Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:51 pm

I'm still more worried about the defense, which was mostly horrible last year. Think the Army and New Mexico State games, among others. Then, it turns out there were a few NFL- or near NFL-talent guys on that defense (who have now departed)-- which implies either that there was a mismatch between talent and performance or that the rest of the defense so lacked talent that having a few stars didn't matter enough (or both). In any case, grounds for worry.

If there isn't a vast improvement this year, BC had better think again about Brown.
Brooklyneagle
Carney Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:26 am

Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:I'm still more worried about the defense, which was mostly horrible last year. Think the Army and New Mexico State games, among others. Then, it turns out there were a few NFL- or near NFL-talent guys on that defense (who have now departed)-- which implies either that there was a mismatch between talent and performance or that the rest of the defense so lacked talent that having a few stars didn't matter enough (or both). In any case, grounds for worry.

If there isn't a vast improvement this year, BC had better think again about Brown.

Brown's defense was much better at getting to the QB than the prior regime. Other than that, it was more of the same.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:28 am

Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:I'm still more worried about the defense, which was mostly horrible last year. Think the Army and New Mexico State games, among others. Then, it turns out there were a few NFL- or near NFL-talent guys on that defense (who have now departed)-- which implies either that there was a mismatch between talent and performance or that the rest of the defense so lacked talent that having a few stars didn't matter enough (or both). In any case, grounds for worry.

As everyone knows, I was completely underwhelmed with Brown. That said, his defense was good against the run and racked up sacks. The problem last year was that we didn't have the DBs to play a defense that left them on an island. Brownie didn't or couldn't adjust... resulting in every QB putting up Matty Ice-like numbers. The defensive NFL talent we lost (ALJ aside) was at DL and LB... which is where we have depth and will continue to be the strong point of our team. Unless Brown has tweaked his system (doubtful as he is the same age as Spaz), our D will again only be as good as our DBs (though I think there is reason to believe that there has been solid improvement at those positions).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:32 am

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:

Brown's defense was much better at getting to the QB than the prior regime. Other than that, it was more of the same.

maybe because last year's d was more of the same players?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby RegalBCeagle on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:33 am

How quickly you forget how terrible the mostly same group of players were the year before Brown. A few talented kids doesn't mean the coaching was bad, but rather the few talented kids that were already on campus showed improvement in a first year scheme. Newsflash: the cupboard is so bare that things will get worse before they get better. Brown's gotta figure out how to put some pretty lipstick on an ugly pig this year.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:34 am

There is a big talent problem, along with a type of talent to scheme mismatch.

I also think this gets worse before it gets better. QBs are going to have a field day against this defense.

Daz is doing a good job, but Spaz left him with a disaster talent wise.

Playing Simmons and Williams at safety will help a little this year.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:39 am

I like when snarky posts trigger a series of non-snarky posts that think they're agreeing with the snark but don't realize that it is snark with which they are agreeing.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:56 am

Do cupboard bare attacks count against Alumni's illustrious track record?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:57 am

There may have been NFL talent on last year's team, but that shit wasn't in the secondary. Other than ALJ of course.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:58 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I like when snarky posts trigger a series of non-snarky posts that think they're agreeing with the snark but don't realize that it is snark with which they are agreeing.

do you like it more now that you've stopped doing it yourself?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:33 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I like when snarky posts trigger a series of non-snarky posts that think they're agreeing with the snark but don't realize that it is snark with which they are agreeing.

do you like it more now that you've stopped doing it yourself?

I'm not sure yet.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:31 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:There may have been NFL talent on last year's team, but that shit wasn't in the secondary. Other than ALJ of course.

We had DIII talent in the secondary
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:33 am

I actually have it the other way. I think Bc will be brutal on the offensive side of the football this year. We are worse at every single positon, although I will reserve judgment on QB becuase we have not seen him play. And I dont want to get into a was Rettig good or not argument.

RB: Bc just lost the best single season rb they have ever had. He dramatically changed the game every time he got the ball. the threat of him even in the game should have opened up passing routes. He ran through tackles multiple times, every game, USC and Syracuse excepted. I like Willis, and think he os going to be a good number 1 rb. I also think that with Dre gone, Bc can and should run more scree passes to their rb's. Either way, BC will not have the production or the bruising style out of the backfield that Daz likes. Willis, Rouse, Outlaw, Hilliman and Wilson, will all be effective, but I expect a significant drop off.

OL: Was a very good and physical unit last year. Occassionally struggled in pass protection, but for the most part cleared holes for Andre and Bc won on the strenght of its running game and OL. The Silberman for Patchan trader is a downgrade, and early reports have not been glowing about the Oline which is supposed to be the strenght of the team.

WR: Bordner is going to be relied on significantly in the passing game. Read that sentence again. Amidon's value could end up in another argument, but he put up stats every week, made a bunch of big plays, and was very reliable when the ball was thrown to him. His loss is enormous. Swig isnt ready, Shakim we can hope on, as he has displayed that he can be a very good Div. 1 receiver, but he has also displayed that he is constantly hurt and currently hasnt practiced yet with Bc due to injuries. Lot of optimism with the younger players, but until they produce, we have nothing.

I have no idea what to make of the defense, I for whatever reason trust the defense to improve more so than the offense this year and maybe that is unjustified.

I also dont even want to ket into the kicking game downgrade which could have an enormouse effect on a team like this which is going to have little margin for error.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:38 am

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:I actually have it the other way. I think Bc will be brutal on the offensive side of the football this year. We are worse at every single positon, although I will reserve judgment on QB becuase we have not seen him play. And I dont want to get into a was Rettig good or not argument.

RB: Bc just lost the best single season rb they have ever had. He dramatically changed the game every time he got the ball. the threat of him even in the game should have opened up passing routes. He ran through tackles multiple times, every game, USC and Syracuse excepted. I like Willis, and think he os going to be a good number 1 rb. I also think that with Dre gone, Bc can and should run more scree passes to their rb's. Either way, BC will not have the production or the bruising style out of the backfield that Daz likes. Willis, Rouse, Outlaw, Hilliman and Wilson, will all be effective, but I expect a significant drop off.

OL: Was a very good and physical unit last year. Occassionally struggled in pass protection, but for the most part cleared holes for Andre and Bc won on the strenght of its running game and OL. The Silberman for Patchan trader is a downgrade, and early reports have not been glowing about the Oline which is supposed to be the strenght of the team.

WR: Bordner is going to be relied on significantly in the passing game. Read that sentence again. Amidon's value could end up in another argument, but he put up stats every week, made a bunch of big plays, and was very reliable when the ball was thrown to him. His loss is enormous. Swig isnt ready, Shakim we can hope on, as he has displayed that he can be a very good Div. 1 receiver, but he has also displayed that he is constantly hurt and currently hasnt practiced yet with Bc due to injuries. Lot of optimism with the younger players, but until they produce, we have nothing.

I have no idea what to make of the defense, I for whatever reason trust the defense to improve more so than the offense this year and maybe that is unjustified.

I also dont even want to ket into the kicking game downgrade which could have an enormouse effect on a team like this which is going to have little margin for error.

I think the opposite of this pretty much across the board.

You seem to think no one is replaceable. Au contraire, everyone, including the RB that had 461, 517 and 581 yards in the three seasons before Addazio arrived, is replaceable.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:39 am

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:I have no idea what to make of the defense, I for whatever reason trust the defense to improve more so than the offense this year and maybe that is unjustified.

P&S, this might have been the most persuasive argument in that whole post.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:43 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}:I actually have it the other way. I think Bc will be brutal on the offensive side of the football this year. We are worse at every single positon, although I will reserve judgment on QB becuase we have not seen him play. And I dont want to get into a was Rettig good or not argument.

You seem to think no one is replaceable. Au contraire, everyone, including the RB that had 461, 517 and 581 yards in the three seasons before Addazio arrived, is replaceable.

If I learned anything from IB, it's that it's always better to have seniors than underclassmen and that TRE has been warned.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:47 am

Why would you advocate for more screen plays if you think the OL is weak?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:47 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

If I learned anything from IB, it's that it's always better to have seniors than underclassmen and that TRE has been warned.

I actually think that having 5 RBs instead of 2 is a good thing. And I don't expect much drop off in the lines, especially since a lot of what they do is inside and the guys are the same. Add in a really mobile QB designed for the spread, and the formula is there for a lot more aggregate rushing yards, not less. No one is going for as much as Andre, but overall, the rush game will be much better.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:49 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I actually think that having 5 RBs instead of 2 is a good thing. And I don't expect much drop off in the lines, especially since a lot of what they do is inside and the guys are the same. Add in a really mobile QB designed for the spread, and the formula is there for a lot more aggregate rushing yards, not less. No one is going for as much as Andre, but overall, the rush game will be much better.

So you're building a Voltron version of Andre? I like where this is going.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:00 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

So you're building a Voltron version of Andre? I like where this is going.

as long as it's the lions voltron and not that lame ass car voltron.

my fear is we'll end up with the car voltron *spazfrownieface
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby durkcal on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:10 pm

I think for this season to get at least 5 wins we will need to see something from someone that we had not seen before. Andre and the offensive line showed us play last year that they never had before.

Watch the comments Spaz is making about T Murphy - sounds a lot like what he was saying about Andre this time last year. Also said about Mehdi - "probably best DL we had" . I would agree with that.

Who else could surprise? I would like it if someone from the crew of Woolford, Daniels, Cottrell, Willis, Yiadom or Strachan could bust out. Or one or two of the transfers?

Otherwise the known quantities do not match up: last year we knew what KPL, Frees and Amidon could do. Perhaps Gallik is the closest we have to a known quantity on that level. Guys like Mihalik and Keyes are good, but have not been able to stay on the field.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium