SEASON PREDICTION THREAD

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: SEASON PREDICTION THREAD

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:31 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:home crowd is booing.

This barely happened during Year 4 of Spaz, I don't see it happening this year.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:46 pm

Prediction: people will proclaim that Don Brown is a defensive wizard, despite what I see with my own eyes.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Mike_S on Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:30 pm

Hoping for better, but I'm guessing they end up 5-7, maybe even 4-8. Beat UMass and Maine for sure, find a few others among CSU, Syracuse, Wake, Pitt, Louisville.

Defense may be very poor unless Brown can surprise. Kicking is likely to cost a close game or two w/o Freese. Maybe offense will improve overall with Murphy and strong OL...
Mike_S
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:58 pm

4 wins over UMass, Maine, WF and Cuse sounds about right.

I could see this team being very bad. He is also not a very good in game coach which will cost us a game. This team has so many unknowns though its a total shot in the dark
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:07 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:4 wins over UMass, Maine, WF and Cuse sounds about right.

I could see this team being very bad. He is also not a very good in game coach which will cost us a game. This team has so many unknowns though its a total shot in the dark

I agree with the opposite of this. If the team surprises, it will be on the good side - especially if the surprise is Murphy.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:20 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I agree with the opposite of this. If the team surprises, it will be on the good side - especially if the surprise is Murphy.

Agreed. I don't think they'll be that bad. But like last year, they need to avoid injuries to certain players because of talent and depth issues. Murphy, Daniels, and Phillips need to stay healthy all year.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:31 pm

To be clear, by surprise I mean 7-8 wins. I see 5-6 as the expectation, and lower than 5 as a surprise on the down side.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby mod6A on Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:13 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:Aug. 30 at Massachusetts W
Sept. 5 (Fri.) PITTSBURGH* W
Sept. 13 USC W
Sept. 20 MAINE W
Sept. 27 COLORADO STATE W
Oct. 11 at NC State* W
Oct. 18 CLEMSON* L
Oct. 25 at Wake Forest* W
Nov. 1 at Virginia Tech * W
Nov. 8 LOUISVILLE* W
Nov. 22 at Florida State* L
Nov. 29 SYRACUSE* W

10-2 Fuck yeah!!!

this. 10 and 2. 10 wins. 2 not wins.

:banana :koolaid :flagus :elephant :angrychicken :cheer
:whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants

ps (6-6)
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle216 on Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:59 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I agree. It's very likely that they are 5, 6, or 7 wins. But more than 7 is more likely than less than 5.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:46 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:To be clear, by surprise I mean 7-8 wins. I see 5-6 as the expectation, and lower than 5 as a surprise on the down side.

the eo coaching staff is in agreement
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:54 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

ELR
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:35 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

ELR

Redundant fagola
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:36 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

ELR

Redundant fagola
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:19 pm

inadvertent comedy
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:13 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I watched Murphy and Wade at the Spring game. There will be no QB controversy, the gap is large right now.

Michael Strahan large.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:33 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I watched Murphy and Wade at the Spring game. There will be no QB controversy, the gap is large right now.

Michael Strahan large.

I award this 5 chalupas.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:10 am

HJS on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:28 am

Brooklyneagle wrote:
I'm still more worried about the defense, which was mostly horrible last year. Think the Army and New Mexico State games, among others. Then, it turns out there were a few NFL- or near NFL-talent guys on that defense (who have now departed)-- which implies either that there was a mismatch between talent and performance or that the rest of the defense so lacked talent that having a few stars didn't matter enough (or both). In any case, grounds for worry.

If there isn't a vast improvement this year, BC had better think again about Brown.

As everyone knows, I was completely underwhelmed with Brown. That said, his defense was good against the run and racked up sacks. The problem last year was that we didn't have the DBs to play a defense that left them on an island. Brownie didn't or couldn't adjust... resulting in every QB putting up Matty Ice-like numbers. The defensive NFL talent we lost (ALJ aside) was at DL and LB... which is where we have depth and will continue to be the strong point of our team. Unless Brown has tweaked his system (doubtful as he is the same age as Spaz), our D will again only be as good as our DBs (though I think there is reason to believe that there has been solid improvement at those positions).

We are extremely thin at DT and unless the FRs step-up, DE and LB and our DBs just are not good.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:03 pm

I predict that Braxton Miller does not win the Heisman.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:15 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Brooklyneagle wrote:
I'm still more worried about the defense, which was mostly horrible last year. Think the Army and New Mexico State games, among others. Then, it turns out there were a few NFL- or near NFL-talent guys on that defense (who have now departed)-- which implies either that there was a mismatch between talent and performance or that the rest of the defense so lacked talent that having a few stars didn't matter enough (or both). In any case, grounds for worry.

If there isn't a vast improvement this year, BC had better think again about Brown.

As everyone knows, I was completely underwhelmed with Brown. That said, his defense was good against the run and racked up sacks. The problem last year was that we didn't have the DBs to play a defense that left them on an island. Brownie didn't or couldn't adjust... resulting in every QB putting up Matty Ice-like numbers. The defensive NFL talent we lost (ALJ aside) was at DL and LB... which is where we have depth and will continue to be the strong point of our team. Unless Brown has tweaked his system (doubtful as he is the same age as Spaz), our D will again only be as good as our DBs (though I think there is reason to believe that there has been solid improvement at those positions).

We are extremely thin at DT and unless the FRs step-up, DE and LB and our DBs just are not good.

Moore and Mihalik are fine, and Landry should be a good one. LBs don't worry me at all. DBs are really the only problem unless, as you note, DTs start dropping.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:29 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Brooklyneagle wrote:

Moore and Mihalik are fine, and Landry should be a good one. LBs don't worry me at all. DBs are really the only problem unless, as you note, DTs start dropping.

DE: Moore did not show much as a true FR 2 years ago and was unimpressive at the Spring Game, I thought Kavalec looked better. Mihalik is pretty good at strong-side. Landry just started practice after knee surgeries in the winter and summer. Then we have Cottrell and the 3 other true FRs - Cohee, Vietello & Stevens.
DT: we have 5 DTs on the roster Abdesmad, Wojiak, Gutapfel, Lifka & Merritt. Abdesmad and Wojiak are fine as our starters and Gutapfel showed some promise as an undersized true FR. We are in trouble after that.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:38 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Brooklyneagle wrote:

DE: Moore did not show much as a true FR 2 years ago and was unimpressive at the Spring Game, I thought Kavalec looked better. Mihalik is pretty good at strong-side. Landry just started practice after knee surgeries in the winter and summer. Then we have Cottrell and the 3 other true FRs - Cohee, Vietello & Stevens.
DT: we have 5 DTs on the roster Abdesmad, Wojiak, Gutapfel, Lifka & Merritt. Abdesmad and Wojiak are fine as our starters and Gutapfel showed some promise as an undersized true FR. We are in trouble after that.

I actually thought Moore showed a lot in limited time two years ago. I agreed with your DT depth point, just don't think DE or LB will be a problem at all. The secondary is by far the biggest concern.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:41 pm

Screw it. I've got some free time and have decided to keep this one alive. Will continue to update and post highlights throughout the year.

Since this was a bland week, some general observations of the preseason predictions (limited to regular season predictions for consistency):

Average regular season win total: 6.7
Median win total: 6
Minimum win total: 3 (Reverend Mike)
Number of 10-2 Predictions: 2 (Onyx and Cadillac)

Game-By-Game Board Confidences (excluding eagle9903)
100% Win over UMass
100% Win over Maine
89% Win over Syracuse
89% Win over Wake
78% Win over NCST
72% Win over Colorada St.
50% - 50% against Pitt
55% Loss to Louisville
83% Loss to VT
83% Loss to Clemson
89% Loss to USC
100% Loss to FSU

Now on to this week...

WEEK 1: BC 30 - UMass 7
Board Predictions - 18/19 predicted a BC win.
Winners: Almost everyone!
Loser: eagle9903

STANDINGS:
1-0 ReverendMike
1-0 eepstein0
1-0 TRE
1-0 hinghameagle
1-0 DavidGordonsFoot
1-0 CommAveGarage
1-0 EagleDave
1-0 31southst
1-0 AdamBC
1-0 tallsy
1-0 BCMurt
1-0 jhiggi02
1-0 Endless Mike
1-0 footer20
1-0 dtwalrus
1-0 BCSUPERFAN22
1-0 Cadillac90
1-0 OnyxBlackman

:blah :cheer :banana
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:05 pm

this is a great responsibility that walrus has thrust upon himself. i hope he can keep it up because it will be fun to see how this progresses as the season progresses and opinions start to change (as well as memories).

i'm only sad mo'j and teddy didn't make gameby-game predictions as they will still espouse their prognostications but we don't have the details to "support" it
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby mod6A on Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:13 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:this is a great responsibility that walrus has thrust upon himself. i hope he can keep it up because it will be fun to see how this progresses as the season progresses and opinions start to change (as well as memories).

i'm only sad mo'j and teddy didn't make gameby-game predictions as they will still espouse their prognostications but we don't have the details to "support" it

i agree.

please acknowledge my geode. 10 win. 2 lost. :seanwilliams

:whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:59 am

10-2?

in all seriousness, this is how i see the season:

Sept. 5 (Fri.) PITTSBURGH* W... my gut says loss but my heart says win
Sept. 13 USC L... closer than last year
Sept. 20 MAINE W
Sept. 27 COLORADO STATE W... thank god this game is at home
Oct. 11 at NC State* L... first road loss of the season
Oct. 18 CLEMSON* L... will be closer than expected
Oct. 25 at Wake Forest* W... should be a W but on the road expect it to be closer than expected
Nov. 1 at Virginia Tech * L... lane stadium does not go quiet this year
Nov. 8 LOUISVILLE* L... probably will be the biggest loss of the year
Nov. 22 at Florida State* L... im sure someone will get arrested or kicked off their team by the time we play them; still a loss
Nov. 29 SYRACUSE* W... one of our 6 wins

another 6 win season, bowl game, and a victory in bitcoin bowl
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:55 am

Since UMass was a given, will add any more predictions submitted today.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:44 am

Umass -- obviously picked for a W when the game was first scheduled.
Sept. 5 (Fri.) PITTSBURGH* W... I think students are really into it Friday, giving us enough mojo to just beat them
Sept. 13 USC W... total flyer but coming to the east coast and playing Stanford the week before, plus Sarkasian's "racism" add up.
Sept. 20 MAINE W -- good for new england.
Sept. 27 COLORADO STATE W... just b/c of home field.
Oct. 11 at NC State* W... I go with our history here, we play pretty good in Raleigh.
Oct. 18 CLEMSON* L... blowout loss after our heads swell with national ranking but we're still too inexperienced to deal with it (think Coughlin's blowout loss to ND)
Oct. 25 at Wake Forest* W -- Close game, WF always plays us well.
Nov. 1 at Virginia Tech * W -- they have lot of freshman, we're still hyped up, one of our young RBs and Murphy just kills them.
Nov. 8 LOUISVILLE* L... big let down.
Nov. 22 at Florida State* L -- to the AC's playoff team.
Nov. 29 SYRACUSE* W... nice home win.

8 and 3 and I will live off the glory of my spot-on prediction for years to come.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby eagletx on Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:16 am

Game-By-Game Board Confidences (excluding eagle9903)
100% Win over UMass
100% Win over Maine
89% Win over Syracuse
89% Win over Wake
78% Win over NCST
50% - 50% against Pitt
55% Loss to Louisville
83% Loss to VT
83% Loss to Clemson
89% Loss to USC
100% Loss to FSU

Though the percentages might be off a bit, the final tally looks spot on to me....6-6. Syracuse and Colorado St. win likelihoods slightly too high. Louisville percentage too low, maybe VT percentage too high...otherwise, very close. So the alleged "composite position" has a a ring of validity in my mind.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:34 am

eagletx {l Wrote}:Game-By-Game Board Confidences (excluding eagle9903)
100% Win over UMass
100% Win over Maine
89% Win over Syracuse
89% Win over Wake
78% Win over NCST
50% - 50% against Pitt
55% Loss to Louisville
83% Loss to VT
83% Loss to Clemson
89% Loss to USC
100% Loss to FSU

Though the percentages might be off a bit, the final tally looks spot on to me....6-6. Syracuse and Colorado St. win likelihoods slightly too high. Louisville percentage too low, maybe VT percentage too high...otherwise, very close. So the alleged "composite position" has a a ring of validity in my mind.

i also remember 8-3 predictions at the beginning of the 2-10 year so, there's that...
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:14 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:this is a great responsibility that walrus has thrust upon himself. i hope he can keep it up because it will be fun to see how this progresses as the season progresses and opinions start to change (as well as memories).

I thought BC would beat Pitt. Jerk
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium