Update on Spaz

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Update on Spaz

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:35 am

Courtesy of our favorite unemployed writer:

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=10719#comments

Coach Spaz’s new role

by Mark • July 14, 2014

It has been a year and a half now and Frank Spaziani’s routine is that there is no routine–once dictated by practices and game preparation—in his life until he checks the daily activity list of his three children Avery, Andrew and Joe and his wife Laura.

Avery, a junior at Notre Dame High School in Hingham, has an ambitious volley ball schedule that has taken her all over the country. Andrew, a junior at Hingham High School, has a summer full of golf tournaments and Joey is off to the University of Virginia, where he will try out for the Cavalier football team as walk on long snapper/QB.

For Spaziani, whose career as the head football coach at Boston College came to a close two seasons ago when he was fired after four years in which the Eagles tumbled towards mediocrity, the sense of urgency of finding a new job–at the age of 67–remains muted, but focused.

He wants to return to coaching in some capacity on someone’s staff and talk about X’s and O’s again. For more than 30 years, he did extremely well as Tom O’Brien’s defensive coordinator at BC and other stops in a coaching career which dates back to his days as a graduate assistant at his alma mater Penn State, with stops along the way at the Naval Academy, Virginia, Canadian Football League at Winnipeg and Calgary, before he settled in at BC in 1997.

But Spaziani’s roots are in New Jersey. He grew up in the 60′s as a kid from Clark, whose life was dictated by the seasons from football in the fall to baseball in the spring. BSpaz had game as a QB/Pitcher who was good enough in football to get a scholarship at Penn State and good enough as a pitcher to get offers from the Cleveland Indians.

Truth be told, Spaz was probably a better athlete than many of the players he recruited. But a bad arm ended his pitching career and he was not big enough or fast enough to take it to the next level in football. So he quickly moved to coaching.

And he lived the coaches life for many summers, falls and winters, catching the activities of his children in small increments, while Laura ran the household.

When he was fired–with the cushion of a few years remaining on his million dollar a year contract–the dynamics changed. He had the time and if you wanted to find Spaz, all you had to do was check the athletic schedule of Notre Dame and Hingham High school.
Laura and Spaz have always been the antithesis of the “helicopter” parents who hover over everything their children do on the field or on the court.

Spaz would show up at Joey’s football game and sit in the top of the stands, sometime on the opposing sideline and silently watch. He would show up on a Friday afternoon at Scituate High school and watch both Joey and Andrew play basketball. He would show up at Notre Dame and watch Avery and a highly regarded volley ball team take on the world.

Laura would work as a volunteer in the concession stands.

Other parents would yell and scream and scold as their children performed, Spaz just watched. Oh, he offered advice when asked and he has spent countless hours with all of his children working on technique.

But he also gave his children as much space as support. His job has become being a “Dad”, while the world he once was so much apart of for so many years continued to evolve.

If you went to any of his children’s games, you would be hard pressed to identify Spaz as a parent of one of the athletes.

Now Joey is off to college and Avery and Andrew are finishing up their high school years. Make no mistake, Spaz still has the competitive juices running through his veins. He still has the energy to coach and teach, but the priorities remain.

You can argue about Spaz’s merits as a head coach and what he failed to do. That ship has come and gone and Spaz has moved on.

But right now he is doing the job that is more important than any coaching job he has ever had. He is guiding his children through the turbulent years when they make the transition from childhood to adults and he is doing a damn good job, which is why Frank Spaziani is our Jerseyguy of The Week.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: Update on Spaz

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:39 am

Where to begin...
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle216 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:51 am

I don't understand the point of this article. It appears to be a series of mostly well written sentences about Spaz. Other than that, I don't get it. What is the point he is trying to make? Why even write the article?
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:03 am

eagle216 {l Wrote}:I don't understand the point of this article. It appears to be a series of mostly well written sentences about Spaz. Other than that, I don't get it. What is the point he is trying to make? Why even write the article?

Blauds {l Wrote}:the sense of urgency of finding a new job–at the age of 67–remains muted, but focused.

He wants to return to coaching in some capacity on someone’s staff and talk about X’s and O’s again.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:03 am

eagle216 {l Wrote}:...It appears to be a series of mostly well written sentences ...

are you talking about the article mrs. bystander posted above? if so, i don't think the words that you are using mean what you think they mean
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:15 am

His job has become being a “Dad”, while the world he once was so much apart of for so many years continued to evolve.

:shrug :shrug :shrug :shrug :shrug :shrug :shrug :shrug
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:16 am

For Spaziani, whose career as the head football coach at Boston College came to a close two seasons ago when he was fired after four years in which the Eagles tumbled towards mediocrity...

I have a feeling that this is likely an off-shoot of "Participant" ribbons, but the term mediocrity/mediocre/average has taken on a new meaning (much like the term "optics"). What BC tumbled towards under Spaziani is not mediocrity (i.e. 6 wins)... it was obscurity (i.e. 2 wins).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:23 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eagle216 {l Wrote}:...It appears to be a series of mostly well written sentences ...

are you talking about the article mrs. bystander posted above? if so, i don't think the words that you are using mean what you think they mean

Captain Runon {l Wrote}:For more than 30 years, he did extremely well as Tom O’Brien’s defensive coordinator at BC and other stops in a coaching career which dates back to his days as a graduate assistant at his alma mater Penn State, with stops along the way at the Naval Academy, Virginia, Canadian Football League at Winnipeg and Calgary, before he settled in at BC in 1997.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:23 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
Make no mistake, Spaz still has the competitive juices running through his veins.

"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:34 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
For Spaziani, whose career as the head football coach at Boston College came to a close two seasons ago when he was fired after four years in which the Eagles tumbled towards mediocrity...

I have a feeling that this is likely an off-shoot of "Participant" ribbons, but the term mediocrity/mediocre/average has taken on a new meaning (much like the term "optics"). What BC tumbled towards under Spaziani is not mediocrity (i.e. 6 wins)... it was obscurity (i.e. 2 wins).

Ben Dover wonders the same thing
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:42 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Captain Runon {l Wrote}:For more than 30 years, he did extremely well as Tom O’Brien’s defensive coordinator at BC and other stops in a coaching career which dates back to his days as a graduate assistant at his alma mater Penn State, with stops along the way at the Naval Academy, Virginia, Canadian Football League at Winnipeg and Calgary, before he settled in at BC in 1997.

seriously. anyone that applies the description of "well written sentences" to any of that monkey spewn drivel should have their literary credentials suspended immediately
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:28 am

It's a puff piece Blauds wrote about Spaz because Blauds likes Spaz. It's nothing new, it's just strange coming more than a year and a half after Spaz was fired. While I feel the 20 minutes spent whipping up this piece would have been better spent browsing airbnb for cheap digs in Greensboro over ACC media days, it's not my blog.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:36 am

One big question remains: does Spaz where a lab coat when he is exhaustively working on technique with his kids?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:44 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:One big question remains: does Spaz where a lab coat when he is exhaustively working on technique with his kids?

wear was he ever seen whering a lab coat.

i'm not usually one to do this sort of thing but feel i must because you are a fruit beer drinking prick
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:31 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:One big question remains: does Spaz where a lab coat when he is exhaustively working on technique with his kids?

wear was he ever seen whering a lab coat.

i'm not usually one to do this sort of thing but feel i must because you are a fruit beer drinking prick

sweet jesus - eye never due that.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:42 pm

Meh.÷ iTS hardd too tipe wenh yur boottles haf umpty.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:45 pm

Yooz giez mustt be helicorpter € PaRents. Jjrkes
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:43 pm

Dad Schmad.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:00 pm

Journalist Durrnalist
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby bcbasketball20 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:45 pm

cushion lolz lolz
lolz........
bcbasketball20
Carney Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:06 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
Make no mistake, Spaz still has the competitive juices running through his veins.

Huh huh. Spaz can still make teh juice.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:25 am

Truth be told, Spaz was probably a better athlete than many of the players he recruited

Next sentence:

he was not big enough or fast enough to take it to the next level in football.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:51 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Truth be told, Spaz was probably a better athlete than many of the players he recruited

Next sentence:

It's stuff like this that make me keep going back to ajerseyguy.com.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:15 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Next sentence:

It's stuff like this that make me keep going back to ajerseyguy.com.

BLLLAAAHHHGHFFF!!! YOU'RE ONE UF THOWS HELERCUPTUR POSTERS; gor-DON.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:38 am

Spaz just watched

I have to give Blauds credit, he perfectly summed up Spaz's coaching career.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:44 am

he lives two minutes from me. See him quite often. Drives a black jeep cherokee. Wife drives a minivan. sold his house a few months back, and built a monstroisty of a house in the lot behind it. Doesnt fit at all with the other houses in the circle. He is a nice guy, always willing to talk, and always thanks you for coming over to say hello afterwards. His oldest son blew out his knee horribly as a senior QB for HHS, but rehabbed and made it back for the seniors last game in basketball. Spaz went to every basketball game and sat alone behind one of the baskets near the student section. No expression during the games. I never liked the hire from the get go, and his in his first two years coaching, I would see him once or twice per year and say hello, recite that I am a BC grad a big follower of the program, nothing else, he would deflect and ask what I do and that would be it. But I saw him at Rite Aid in the Derby Street Shoppes in Hingham a few days after the loss to Army and I flipped my stack on him. Caught him completly off guard, specific questions about players, game management, effort, motivation, how the hell he just lost that Army game, I was completly off my meds after the Army debacle and it was definitely wrong place and time for me to see him. I often wonder if I feel bad about what I did, and I cant come to a clear answer on this question.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:52 am

hinghameagle {l Wrote}: But I saw him at Rite Aid in the Derby Street Shoppes in Hingham a few days after the loss to Army and I flipped my stack on him. Caught him completly off guard, specific questions about players, game management, effort, motivation, how the hell he just lost that Army game, I was completly off my meds after the Army debacle and it was definitely wrong place and time for me to see him. I often wonder if I feel bad about what I did, and I cant come to a clear answer on this question.

And you didn't record this because...
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:55 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Next sentence:

I think that was the most honest piece of the article.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:42 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}: But I saw him at Rite Aid in the Derby Street Shoppes in Hingham a few days after the loss to Army and I flipped my stack on him. Caught him completly off guard, specific questions about players, game management, effort, motivation, how the hell he just lost that Army game, I was completly off my meds after the Army debacle and it was definitely wrong place and time for me to see him. I often wonder if I feel bad about what I did, and I cant come to a clear answer on this question.

And you didn't record this because...

cuz then it would have been awkward [laughs]
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:02 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Next sentence:

I think that was the most honest piece of the article.

The more I think about it,the two sentences are not necessarily contradictory. He did assemble the talent that led to 2 wins.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium