USC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

USC

Postby Mike_S on Mon May 19, 2014 3:31 pm

So with a lot of websites starting their college football previews today, I stumbled upon College Football News' team preview of USC: http://cfn.scout.com/2/1403773.html

I thought BC would give them a better game last year than they did, it's clear BC lost a lot of skill-position talent, and I know everyone thinks Sarkisian is an upgrade for USC. But still...

After opening against Fresno State, they play at Stanford on September 6 which will definitely be a draining physical battle; then they have to travel cross-country to face BC the next weekend. BC on the other hand should handle UMass in the opener, then will have what looks like a toss-up game against Pitt in the 2nd weekend.

Does anyone think BC has a legitimate shot at the upset this time around ?
Mike_S
Carney Hall

Re: USC

Postby twballgame9 on Mon May 19, 2014 3:32 pm

Having a QB that can run would have helped a lot last year. But I don't see it helping enough.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCdee on Mon May 19, 2014 8:11 pm

Honestly, I can't see how it can be much worse than last year's game...
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon May 19, 2014 8:17 pm

BCdee {l Wrote}:Honestly, I can't see how it can be much worse than last year's game...

You could have seen it live.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Mon May 19, 2014 9:02 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
BCdee {l Wrote}:Honestly, I can't see how it can be much worse than last year's game...

Not driving to the Rockaway Buffalo Wild Wings to witness that was the silver lining to that extravaganza.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby EagleDave on Mon May 19, 2014 9:20 pm

Part of the problem last year was that they caught USC at EXACTLY the wrong time. If you'll recall, they were coming off one of their more humiliating losses in recent memory (10-7 at home to mighty Wazzu). They were highly motivated to beat the ever loving bejeezus out of that BC team and did exactly that.

I don't think that situation will manifest itself again. However, the fact still remains that they will be grossly undermanned from a skill position standpoint and thus the game will be really uphill for them.

They probably won't get completely decimated the way they did in the Coliseum, but I doubt they win the game.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon May 19, 2014 11:10 pm

On defense, their RB was running through holes you could've driven a car through. Our clown car secondary did a decent job except when Asprilla tripped on the TD to Lee.

On offense, the gameplay was terrible, although looking back BC had no chance anyway. Rettig ran for his life all day, because we don't have talent at WR when playing USC. Amidon is good, but not when double covered against a team of 5* athletes. Our OL also had a rare crappy game. Not good when no one is open and you have no time to throw.

Unless USC hits a trap game or something, we'll get destroyed again this year. BC doesn't have the horses to play with USC assuming they're motivated, especially not in Year 2 of Daz.

BCs best chance was when FSU and Clemson were down in the mid 2000s. We can be competitive with them, but against teams like that it's rough. They recruit so differently and get such better overall athletes. That's why I like the Wisconsin offense we ran last year, it plays to our strength in recruiting, and keeps their athletes off the field. Heck it almost worked against those teams in a year where we were seriously devoid of playmakers.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue May 20, 2014 5:36 am

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:

Not driving to the Rockaway Buffalo Wild Wings to witness that was the silver lining to that extravaganza.

They didnt have the game anyway. I had to watch it on my phone as I drove home. At least they just opened one by my house in Parsippany.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue May 20, 2014 6:53 am

Mike_S {l Wrote}: they play at Stanford on September 6 which will definitely be a draining physical battle; then they have to travel cross-country to face BC the next weekend.

Think this is the key.

Travel to Stanford to get physically destroyed, 5 days later fly cross country and face a similar scheme.

As for last year. Them doubling Amidon plus the OL having the rare crappy game like ACC talent evaluator pointed out led to the debacle. Also think the game planning / decision making by Daz was subpar, but then again it was only his what 3rd game at BC?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue May 20, 2014 9:57 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Mike_S {l Wrote}: they play at Stanford on September 6 which will definitely be a draining physical battle; then they have to travel cross-country to face BC the next weekend.

Think this is the key.

Travel to Stanford to get physically destroyed, 5 days later fly cross country and face a similar scheme.

As for last year. Them doubling Amidon plus the OL having the rare crappy game like ACC talent evaluator pointed out led to the debacle. Also think the game planning / decision making by Daz was subpar, but then again it was only his what 3rd game at BC?

The game planning didn't matter. USCs OL and DL we're so good that day we were getting destroyed either way
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue May 20, 2014 10:01 am

Mike_S {l Wrote}:

Yes
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle216 on Tue May 20, 2014 10:54 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
Mike_S {l Wrote}:

Yes

I would love this game to be a noon start. I know this is not great for that tailgate thing, but left coast teams don't like the east coast noon starts.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby BCdee on Tue May 20, 2014 1:24 pm

It was just announced that this game will have an 8pm kickoff on either ABC/ESPN/ESPN2. I guess we can forget the jetlag idea. At least the stadium should be rocking! :chewbanka
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby BCdee on Tue May 20, 2014 1:38 pm

We have two home night games in a row....wow.
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue May 20, 2014 2:14 pm

BCdee {l Wrote}:It was just announced that this game will have an 8pm kickoff on either ABC/ESPN/ESPN2. I guess we can forget the jetlag idea. At least the stadium should be rocking! :chewbanka

yessssssssssssss :chewbanka :chewbanka
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue May 20, 2014 2:21 pm

This is a helpful development for BC's slim chances to win this game.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue May 20, 2014 2:41 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
BCdee {l Wrote}:It was just announced that this game will have an 8pm kickoff on either ABC/ESPN/ESPN2. I guess we can forget the jetlag idea. At least the stadium should be rocking! :chewbanka

yessssssssssssss :chewbanka :chewbanka

I, for one, will look forward to watching the ambulances speed around campus that fine September afternoon.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue May 20, 2014 2:44 pm

BCdee {l Wrote}:We have two home night games in a row....wow.

one of the benefirts of the friday night game agreement (beyond further pissing off the neighbors) is it gets a non marquee game in primetime on ESPN

just noticed it's a 7 pm kick opposed to 8 though which is annoying
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Tue May 20, 2014 3:27 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
BCdee {l Wrote}:We have two home night games in a row....wow.

one of the benefirts of the friday night game agreement (beyond further pissing off the neighbors) is it gets a non marquee game in primetime on ESPN

just noticed it's a 7 pm kick opposed to 8 though which is annoying

I'm looking forward to the outrage over the loud cannon noises and fireworks coming out of the friendly neighborhood stadium. It'll be like living in downtown Afghanistan!
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed May 21, 2014 11:44 pm

Is the USC drum leader planning on stabbing our 50 yard line?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:20 pm

Game confirmed on ABC with full nationwide coverage.

Ever to keep it competitive until most people fall asleep!
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium