Meet the Bag Man

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Meet the Bag Man

Postby apbc12 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:39 am

If you can read this without picturing Buddy Garrity, you have not watched Friday Night Lights.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Re: Meet the Bag Man

Postby HJS on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:59 am

I am shocked... SHOCKED... that this is happening at SEC schools!!!

The reality of all this is that these kids follow the quick money being handed out by schools who make it the easiest for them to stay eligible. It is a spoon-fed decision that poor, dumb, directionalist kids from broken homes are easily conned into making. As soon as the money dries up (and the sport ends), they realized that what they thought they were doing (following the money) was really selling their services to the lowest bidder. BC athletics pretty much sucks at everything. But, one (only?) thing they do well is to make sure that that the student part of student-athlete is real. No pretend majors. No forcefed classes. No illiterates admitted. Not every BC player goes on to become a business success after graduation. However, every BC athlete is given a chance to set themselves up for success while in school. In fact, every BC athlete is given MORE opportunities to achieve success (through tutoring, academic counselling and preferential early access to Registrar). The stuff that goes on at some of these schools is insane as they are abusing a system already frought with exploitation.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:05 am

does he know ram man?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby apbc12 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:27 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I am shocked... SHOCKED... that this is happening at SEC schools!!!

The reality of all this is that these kids follow the quick money being handed out by schools who make it the easiest for them to stay eligible. It is a spoon-fed decision that poor, dumb, directionalist kids from broken homes are easily conned into making. As soon as the money dries up (and the sport ends), they realized that what they thought they were doing (following the money) was really selling their services to the lowest bidder. BC athletics pretty much sucks at everything. But, one (only?) thing they do well is to make sure that that the student part of student-athlete is real. No pretend majors. No forcefed classes. No illiterates admitted. Not every BC player goes on to become a business success after graduation. However, every BC athlete is given a chance to set themselves up for success while in school. In fact, every BC athlete is given MORE opportunities to achieve success (through tutoring, academic counselling and preferential early access to Registrar). The stuff that goes on at some of these schools is insane as they are abusing a system already frought with exploitation.

I would clarify that I assume this is also widespread in the Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12 and ACC (with a handful of exceptions - Northwestern and Duke probably don't see much of this, at least not for football), just without quite as much fervor as the average SEC "shadow booster." That said, I have to think Texas, OSU, FSU and the other non-SEC brand name teams have just as much of this as any SEC team.

This is also a very good explanation of why BC has to catch lightning in a bottle to be a serious contender for a national title.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:04 am

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I am shocked... SHOCKED... that this is happening at SEC schools!!!

I would clarify that I assume this is also widespread in the Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12 and ACC (with a handful of exceptions - Northwestern and Duke probably don't see much of this, at least not for football), just without quite as much fervor as the average SEC "shadow booster." That said, I have to think Texas, OSU, FSU and the other non-SEC brand name teams have just as much of this as any SEC team.

This is also a very good explanation of why BC has to catch lightning in a bottle to be a serious contender for a national title.

Agreed. You can add Oregon and USC to list of schools who pay players. As for BC able to catch lightning... while true, I think Stanford and Notre Dame (where probably little to none of this is happening) have been very, very close in recent years. In football (much more than in other sports), when a player arrives on campus, he has a long, long way to go before he develops into the player he will ultimately become (however, there is some exceptions with the skill positions like WR, RB, CB and K). As such, potential and work ethic (along with a competent staff) factor significantly in a player's success. This is partly why BC can produce OL, DL, LBs and QBs.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium