Mandel on BC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Mandel on BC

Postby 31southst on Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:37 pm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20140409/heisman-trophy-college-football-playoff-mailbag/?eref=sihp#all

As a Boston College fan, what is a reasonable ceiling to expect from the Eagles in the coming years?
-- Kris, Edwardsville, Pa.

It's high. Boston College is not that far removed from winning consecutive ACC Atlantic Division titles in 2007 and '08 under Jeff Jagodzinski (the first with quarterback Matt Ryan). Unfortunately for the Eagles, their division has become considerably tougher following Florida State's resurgence, Clemson's rise and Louisville's arrival.
However, Boston College has more history than Louisville and was arguably stronger than Clemson for about 15 years before Tajh Boyd suited up for the Tigers. Now the Eagles have a coach, Steve Addazzio, who both preaches the physical style of offense that's long been a hallmark at Boston College and, along with his staff, may be the best recruiter to come through Chestnut Hill in a long, long time. Getting to 7-6 last fall given the state of that roster was no small feat. The Eagles may take a step back this year without Heisman finalist Andre Williams, but I'd bet on them becoming a Top 25-caliber team again soon.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Re: Mandel on BC

Postby HJS on Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:40 pm

I would love to hear oncore's thoughts on the above. There... I said it.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:52 pm

don't expect Stew Mandel to be invited onto WEEI anytime soon.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby 0J1969 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:53 pm

You should go to BCInterruption and ask him. You better go quickly though, before he gets banned again.
0J1969
n00b

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:55 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20140409/heisman-trophy-college-football-playoff-mailbag/?eref=sihp#all

Now the Eagles have a coach, Steve Addazzio, who both preaches the physical style of offense that's long been a hallmark at Boston College

Except he's trying to move away from that style as soon as possible...
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby 31southst on Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:58 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20140409/heisman-trophy-college-football-playoff-mailbag/?eref=sihp#all

Now the Eagles have a coach, Steve Addazzio, who both preaches the physical style of offense that's long been a hallmark at Boston College

I guess it remains to be seen but I don't think that's really going to be true. Moving towards a spread but still emphasizing the run game.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/college/college_football/2014/04/ex_gator_tyler_murphy_dual_threat_for_boston_college

“My freshman year down at Florida, coach Addazio was there and we are running some of the stuff we did down there,” Murphy said. “But we are still doing some of the stuff BC did last year with all the success they had with the power running game.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:12 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I would love to hear oncore's thoughts on the above. There... I said it.

well 0J came back, maybe there's a chance for oncore? :shrug
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:51 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

I guess it remains to be seen but I don't think that's really going to be true. Moving towards a spread but still emphasizing the run game.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/college/college_football/2014/04/ex_gator_tyler_murphy_dual_threat_for_boston_college

“My freshman year down at Florida, coach Addazio was there and we are running some of the stuff we did down there,” Murphy said. “But we are still doing some of the stuff BC did last year with all the success they had with the power running game.

I think he's always going to keep a power running aspect around, it'll just be out of a different formation.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:12 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

I should have added the caveat that while he still has the personnel for a power running game, he will still utilize it because he's a coach that can adjust to the personnel he has (good thing). However, I do not believe it is in the long-term plans and will fade as the years go by. One thing is certain - it won't be in the mold or frequency that has "long been a hallmark at Boston College". Which is my main point.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:49 pm

I just want a return to the big nasty offensive line. It is one of the few areas that we can recruit well and an area that can impose its will on a game.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby EagleDave on Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:53 pm

BC is never going to go Air Raid, throw it 80 times a game offense. Ever.

What they'll eventually go to the point of doing is to line it up the way Auburn did this year (with great success) and run zone read all day behind a big athletic offensive line. We can definitely get the personnel to do that and do it at a high level.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:12 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:BC is never going to go Air Raid, throw it 80 times a game offense. Ever.

What they'll eventually go to the point of doing is to line it up the way Auburn did this year (with great success) and run zone read all day behind a big athletic offensive line. We can definitely get the personnel to do that and do it at a high level.

So essentially the drive in 2008 against FSU with a better QB cause no one can be worse than Chris Crane?

Sign me up
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:10 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:BC is never going to go Air Raid, throw it 80 times a game offense. Ever.

So essentially the drive in 2008 against FSU with a better QB cause no one can be worse than Chris Crane?

Sign me up

You'll see a lot of that play - they ran it a ton at the spring game - but I think it will be more diverse than that. That FSU drive was the same play over and over.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:12 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Sign me up

You'll see a lot of that play - they ran it a ton at the spring game - but I think it will be more diverse than that. That FSU drive was the same play over and over.

That FSU drive is why Steve Logan will forever be one of my favorite coaches to have spent time at BC.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:32 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Sign me up

that fsu drive was probably my favorite drive since ive started following bc football carefully (07)
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:48 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Sign me up

that fsu drive was probably my favorite drive since ive started following bc football carefully (07)

really? better than the downpour in blacksburg?
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:58 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Sign me up

really? better than the downpour in blacksburg?

It's hard to compare the two. I will say the FSU game to me just summed up the excitement of the Jags years. I'd be hard pressed to find a better play than the onside kick (which we recovered!) right after we scored on the opening drive.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:59 pm

vt was a couple of plays.

that fsu drive was men vs. boys
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:50 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:vt was a couple of plays.

that fsu drive was men vs. boys

way more than a couple plays. 66 yards.

plus, don't forget the previous drive was 90 yards plus.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:12 pm

Was that the drive when Toal took the snap on a fake punt and converted it to a big first down? Gutsy call and Jags had a knack for calling those at just the right time.

Edit: I believe that was against RCC
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:14 pm

Re: the FSU drive.

I don't know if I read it or he talked about it on his radio show, but at some point (and I am paraphrasing) Logan said playcalling is simple. Find something you do well and keep doing it until the defense proves they can stop it. Once they stop it you then run the counter.

He was being overly simplistic, but I do think he's right and that's probably close to his philosophy.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eaglecaddy on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:01 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Re: the FSU drive.

I don't know if I read it or he talked about it on his radio show, but at some point (and I am paraphrasing) Logan said playcalling is simple. Find something you do well and keep doing it until the defense proves they can stop it. Once they stop it you then run the counter.

He was being overly simplistic, but I do think he's right and that's probably close to his philosophy.

Pretty confident the coaching staff at Duke was listening to that based on their last appearance at Alumni.
eaglecaddy
Campion Hall

Postby eagle216 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:17 pm

eaglecaddy {l Wrote}:

Pretty confident the coaching staff at Duke was listening to that based on their last appearance at Alumni.

Remember that while Logan called the same play over and over again on that drive, the QB is given multiple post-snap options, such that its really multiple plays that are called. This is one of the reasons why it worked - the opponent can't truly load up against it because their is no singular option to load up against (the other reason is that that FSU team was a bunch of no-talent vaginas).

This basically follows the evolution of offensive football. First came the play call prior to the play (or otherwise known as TOB's present offense). Than the pre-snap audible. Than the post-snap audible, which is really what zone read is. A true zone read is really three plays called at once, and the QB audibles to one of the 3 AFTER the snap.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:12 am

This is how I played "10 Yard Fight."
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:24 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

This is how I played "10 Yard Fight."

I think this is how everyone plays every football video game. Or, there's the Bo Jackson Tecmo Bowl strategy, in which you call one of two plays, and if they happen to stop it once, that's OK - the computer isn't smart enough to call the same play again anyway.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium