New Indoor football facility?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

New Indoor football facility?

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:58 am

The BC coaches are telling future recruits that this will happen.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Re: New Indoor football facility?

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:06 am

Baseball doesn't make money.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:13 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:True, its actually a deficit sport. I read a study that only basketball and football bring in money for (most) schools. Still, kinda shitty that they would mislead the recruits.

Question, is hockey a revenue creator at BC ?

Probably not. Ticket sales alone probably don't matter much in any sport, and I am guessing the hockey east TV contract isn't huge.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ILikeBC on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:26 am

Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:The BC coaches are telling future recruits that this will happen.

Source? Tweets I'm guessing?
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby fs33 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:30 am

ILikeBC {l Wrote}:
Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:The BC coaches are telling future recruits that this will happen.

Source? Tweets I'm guessing?

TOS article
fs33
McGuinn Hall

Postby 31southst on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:55 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:True, its actually a deficit sport. I read a study that only basketball and football bring in money for (most) schools. Still, kinda shitty that they would mislead the recruits.

Probably not. Ticket sales alone probably don't matter much in any sport, and I am guessing the hockey east TV contract isn't huge.

I know hockey is also fairly expensive from an equipment standpoint versus something like basketball.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:57 am

Hasn't the hold up with the baseball facility have nothing to do with BC? My recollection is that the baseball facility could not be started until More Hall demolition/new dorm construction started. That whole process was SHOCKINGLY delayed by the neighbors. There was also the "toxic field" (i.e. FieldTurf) that the neighbors were suing over to prevent installation... and I believe that they had additional complaints about ambient light from night games/practices. Essentially, when it comes to construction, there is very little the school controls in the way of a timeline.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:01 pm

In 2010 Hockey grossed $3.7M so I assume it had to have made money. Amazingly every sport breaks even in BC's books. Also, the idea that every student on schollie is a $50,000 expense is silly.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:05 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Hasn't the hold up with the baseball facility have nothing to do with BC? My recollection is that the baseball facility could not be started until More Hall demolition/new dorm construction started. That whole process was SHOCKINGLY delayed by the neighbors. There was also the "toxic field" (i.e. FieldTurf) that the neighbors were suing over to prevent installation... and I believe that they had additional complaints about ambient light from night games/practices. Essentially, when it comes to construction, there is very little the school controls in the way of a timeline.

I do not know, as I have not been keeping up with the issue. A question, why would the dorm demolition/ construction need to be completed before the field? Are they in the same area or is it something else?

FWIW, here is how it was presented to us. Again, this was GDF so it very likely was bs. If it was B.S., add it to the list of honorable things that he did during his tenure. Blatantly lying to 18 year old recruits.... pretty big of him.

The recruits were told that nothing was standing in the way of construction and were told that construction would begin that following summer. Again, GDF said if the stadium wasnt built by a certain date (which we have passed now) that BC would be "kicked out of the ACC" due to some rule about stadium seating capacity. I am not sure but I think that each stadium needed 2,500 seats minimum. We were shown plans of the new stadium (I believe it was an open field/lot on the land bought from the church). The baseball coach reiterated this to us.

First... I believe that the new dorm had to have had construction started (not finished) before the stadium could be started. That is what I was told by the Athletic Dev folks. I think it has something to do with the Master Plan.
Second... even if what GDF said was true, that would only pertain to the Baseball Program (i.e. BC would be the only school fielding a team that was not allowed into the ACC for a sport the ACC had). Ultimately, it would be much more likely that BC would just drop the sport all together.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:22 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:

In 2010 Hockey grossed $3.7M so I assume it had to have made money. Amazingly every sport breaks even in BC's books. Also, the idea that every student on schollie is a $50,000 expense is silly.

How many Schollies do they give out each year? There are 27 kids on the current roster. Even if 7 are walk-ons, that means 20 x $61k (which is the cost per schollie). You are $1.22mm right off the top. Add in salaries, travel, facilities, etc... BC Hockey does not generate much (if any) profit.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:23 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:I am not sure but I think that each stadium needed 2,500 seats minimum. We were shown plans of the new stadium (I believe it was an open field/lot on the land bought from the church). The baseball coach reiterated this to us.

The stadium is and always has been slotted for 1,000 seats.
Last edited by pick6pedro on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby angrychicken on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:23 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:I really want to know who does their books if this is true, did they happen to work for Enron?

Enron. Pfft. There's a guy who posts here that can better answer your questions, but he doesn't seem to be here right now. He should be back from the food court soon.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:33 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:

Not saying your lying, I just find it EXTREMELY hard to believe. Baseball cannot legitimately break even. Equipment, coaches salary, scholarships and MOST importantly flying to almost all of the ACC games absolutely crushes the bottom line. I really want to know who does their books if this is true, did they happen to work for Enron?

It's not that every sport individually breaks even. It's that the Athletic Department as a whole breaks even. So, the profits gleaned from FB and BB perfectly offset the liabilities incurred through every other sport. I believe that the last few years, however, the athletic department actually ran in the red (due to the FB and BB programs having deplorable attendance).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:42 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:I am not sure but I think that each stadium needed 2,500 seats minimum. We were shown plans of the new stadium (I believe it was an open field/lot on the land bought from the church). The baseball coach reiterated this to us.

The stadium is and always has been slotted for 1,000 seats.

Then the minimum is/was 1,000. I dont know where the fuck I pulled 2,500 from as the other schools i visited all had seating capacity above 4K.

http://www.bc.edu/content/dam/files/sit ... ciliti.pdf

Pretty sad that we still don't have a stadium. While the seating capacity is minimal compared to other stadiums in the ACC, the plans made the stadium look gorgeous. Hopefully one can get built in the near future.

It is sad. It speaks volumes about how BC is held hostage by the NIMBY crowd. You know, those people who didn't realize a university had been there since the turn of the century. Did you know Alumni was a WAR ZONE this past season?

I believe the plans allow for temporary seating when attendance demands it as well as being well-prepared for further expansion should the need arise.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:14 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Hasn't the hold up with the baseball facility have nothing to do with BC? My recollection is that the baseball facility could not be started until More Hall demolition/new dorm construction started. That whole process was SHOCKINGLY delayed by the neighbors. There was also the "toxic field" (i.e. FieldTurf) that the neighbors were suing over to prevent installation... and I believe that they had additional complaints about ambient light from night games/practices. Essentially, when it comes to construction, there is very little the school controls in the way of a timeline.

I do not know, as I have not been keeping up with the issue. A question, why would the dorm demolition/ construction need to be completed before the field? Are they in the same area or is it something else?

FWIW, here is how it was presented to us. Again, this was GDF so it very likely was bs. If it was B.S., add it to the list of honorable things that he did during his tenure. Blatantly lying to 18 year old recruits.... pretty big of him.

The recruits were told that nothing was standing in the way of construction and were told that construction would begin that following summer. Again, GDF said if the stadium wasnt built by a certain date (which we have passed now) that BC would be "kicked out of the ACC" due to some rule about stadium seating capacity. I am not sure but I think that each stadium needed 2,500 seats minimum. We were shown plans of the new stadium (I believe it was an open field/lot on the land bought from the church). The baseball coach reiterated this to us.

Wait, so you're telling me that coaches and athletic directors lie to recruits?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:31 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:

Granted I should defer to our resident bean counter but I'm sure he's ramping up for busy season

Anyway I wouldn't trust BC's allocation of revenue/expenses
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby ILikeBC on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:34 pm

So anyways what recruits were told this?
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby angrychicken on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:38 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Granted I should defer to our resident bean counter but I'm sure he's ramping up for busy season

Nah. It's Friday. He probably went over to Mrs. Field's for a cookie. It's his "splurge" day.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby 31southst on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:58 pm

ILikeBC {l Wrote}:So anyways what recruits were told this?

Quote from DE Zach Allen:

And the school itself was a big highlight of the visit.

"Oh it was beautiful," he said. "Just the perfect college campus. The church they have is beautiful and also just the facilities are amazing, with the locker room and everything. They're getting a new indoor practice facility.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby Bunratty on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:01 pm

Prolly referring to a new classroon in Stokes where the football team can practice watching film.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:17 pm

if we are going to get kids to come to BC we can't just pretend that it doesn't get cold here and snow a lot...like a really lot.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby angrychicken on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:22 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:if we are going to get kids to come to BC we can't just pretend that it doesn't get cold here and snow a lot...like a really lot.

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:54 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:if we are going to get kids to come to BC we can't just pretend that it doesn't get cold here and snow a lot...like a really lot.

One thing about Boston, is that the snow usually melted pretty quickly.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:55 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:

How many Schollies do they give out each year? There are 27 kids on the current roster. Even if 7 are walk-ons, that means 20 x $61k (which is the cost per schollie). You are $1.22mm right off the top. Add in salaries, travel, facilities, etc... BC Hockey does not generate much (if any) profit.

Thats not a real cost though. I would say the cost of 20 schollies in real money is negligible.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:25 pm

Even if you eliminate the tuition portion of the schollies, what about the room and board?

I suppose it makes sense to accountants to call that some sort of fake cost, but that's a room in which you could have placed a real student paying real tuition. It's opportunity cost.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hinghameagle on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:27 pm

when BC had their expansion plan approved by the City of Boston Redevelopment Authority, it was approved only as long as BC met multiple stipulations. There was a sequential order that the City demanded, so that BC could actually not have two projects going on simulataneously. BC had to give the City a list of the projects they wanted down and in which order they planned to do them. After each proposed item was submitted, the City said " We will let you convert 2000 Comm Ave to dorms, but you need to creat green space all around it, and then find an area behind it for accessible parking. Basically after every individual proposal, the City asked for something to be done. The dorm HJS referenced actually has to be completed before one shovel goes into the dirt for the baseball field(which by the way is not happening). As a concession for building the baseball filed, BC had to build a playground in the neighborhood, and agree that the lights would be shut off every night by 8pm, this was after an enormous sit in by the neighbors protesting the direction in which the lights were pointed. This led to BC having to go back and actually reconstruct the plans for the baseball field. BC spent an enormous amount of money having their plans drafter and then redrafted due to the neighbors complaints.

Anyways, BC was asked at the time when it was expected that their projects would start and when they would be completed. the start date was immaterial. the completion date was given as December 31.........................2014.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:08 pm

When you say the baseball field is not happening... what does that mean? Have they scrapped the idea completely? Did they build a playground for nothing?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:42 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:When you say the baseball field is not happening... what does that mean? Have they scrapped the idea completely? Did they build a playground for nothing?

Somehow I think BC can cover the cost of a playground (roughly 3600/acre).
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:28 pm

RETRACTABLE DOME or GTFOMAM
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:47 pm

The baseball stadium is not going to be in the new master plan. The space earmarked for the baseball stadium will still be used for athletic purposes, just not for baseball. There are a few plans as to what to do with the property, but none of them involve baseball. There are a few reasons why the new master plan hasn't been released and one of he bigger ones is BC has to declare what they are doing with that property. Unfortunately another one is money. Bates and the powers to be at BC are green lighting just about everything Addazio asks for. My understanding is that Addazio has asked for fairly significant structural and facilities upgrades and Bates has lobbied hard for them. The new master plan that is developing includes substantial improvements, but the higher ups have told Bates that he needs to raise the money for it. All of it. Expect your phones to be ringing, bates is looking for every dime. He has been going after the BC heavy hitters for funding, and has reported that he has received a favorable response.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium