Spring Game

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Spring Game

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:06 am

Philly, the fact you posted 3 or 4 other variables (the team is doing well, the weather is nice, the AD has promoted the event etc etc) should tell you that whether or not the game coincides with the National championship game is really doesn't matter.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:31 am

The chances of BC hockey making the National Title game are a lot higher than the chances that the spring game draws enough fans for anyone to care.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:01 am

I always thought the spring game was a marketing opportunity wasted....forget BC students attending; what's the point in that?...use it as an attempt to draw in and build up interest from the casual fandom, with a big promotional splash with lots of giveways (footballs, tickets, parking passes, attire, jerseys, hats, etc..), free food, pictures, player meets...Invest a little bit to see if you can realize some return. That said, the later and better the weather the better.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:22 am

eagletx {l Wrote}:I always thought the spring game was a marketing opportunity wasted....forget BC students attending; what's the point in that?...use it as an attempt to draw in and build up interest from the casual fandom, with a big promotional splash with lots of giveways (footballs, tickets, parking passes, attire, jerseys, hats, etc..), free food, pictures, player meets...Invest a little bit to see if you can realize some return. That said, the later and better the weather the better.

I'm guessing you haven't been? It's pretty much exactly what you described it as, less the tickets and parking passes. Not exactly a huge extravaganza, but they have food, drinks, bouncy houses, etc. Although the last one was cancelled due to the Marathon Bombings, they replaced it with a "family fun day" type event. Even though they didn't play football this go around, the event was better than the true spring games hosted by GDF and Spaz. Daz had the whole team signing autographs and he made himself available to speak with fans. My guess is that there were a couple of thousand people there at best, but the short notice and lack of Spring Game may have impacted the attendance.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:34 pm

I went to a number of spring games under TOB and Jags and attendance was usually in the 8-10k range if the weather was nice (seemed like it was in the typical Boston early spring, 40 and drizzly weather about every other year), that was without any attempt by the athletic department to market the event whatsoever. I see no reason why we can't surpass that in the future, but the stink of Spaz and Gene is not going to be washed off the program overnight.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:38 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:I went to a number of spring games under TOB and Jags and attendance was usually in the 8-10k range

no. no it wasn't.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:42 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:I went to a number of spring games under TOB and Jags and attendance was usually in the 8-10k range if the weather was nice (seemed like it was in the typical Boston early spring, 40 and drizzly weather about every other year), that was without any attempt by the athletic department to market the event whatsoever. I see no reason why we can't surpass that in the future, but the stink of Spaz and Gene is not going to be washed off the program overnight.

Wait, what?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:50 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:I went to a number of spring games under TOB and Jags and attendance was usually in the .8-1.0k range if the weather was nice.

fixed
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:20 pm

I think we all have to factor in for the effects of Philly's reputed alcohol intake when considering his spring game memories, guys.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:21 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:The spring game shouldn't EVER be on the same weekend as the Frozen Four. No excuse for that.

I highly doubt that the Frozen Four was high on the list of considerations when figuring out the football team's schedule for the spring.

It should be. At risk of sounding like a :whalepants we're not Alabama and we don't have 80,000 lunatics willing to attend an intrasquad scrimmage. We only have a few thousand lunatics, many of whom will prioritize the Frozen Four (assuming BC is taking part, which we have in 6 of the past 10 seasons) over said intrasquad scrimmage. The Frozen Four should always be avoided, and the NFL Draft should be avoided when possible; other than that, hold it as late in the year as allowed by the NCAA. I've always felt the spring game should be held the weekend of Marathon Monday whenever possible.

The football team should do what's best for the football team. Now, if it is possible to do this AND fit it around the Frozen Four and/or your brother's cousin's mistress' bat mitzvah, I'm sure that it would be considered. However, the calendar doesn't seem to work out that way this year. The amount of time that they are allowed to practice fits perfectly in between spring break and easter this year. This is not always the case.

I like the idea of having it the weekend of the marathon, but, again, the calendar this year screws up that idea. Maybe next year. Maybe the Spring game on Saturday, mock naval battles on Sunday, and the marathon on Monday. That would be awesome. Hell, throw a clambake in there and EVERYBODY will show up.

I'd argue that part of what's best for the football team is getting the best possible atmosphere for the spring game, which is not going to happen if it's the same day as a hockey national championship game in which BC is taking part.

Point is that if your statement is true, and the hockey fans make that much of a difference, the atmosphere is going to suck ass no matter what you do. You plan around what's best for the program and players, not the least shitty of your shitty fans.

The Frozen Four vs. spring game conflict is more of an issue some years than others (not that big an issue if the FF requires a flight), but this is a year that it will be a big one. There will be a TON of students and local young alums who make the trip to Philly if BC makes it. And I think the spring game could draw decent crowds (not Alabama, but ~15k including 5k or so students) if the team and weather are good and it's properly marketed, but that is not gonna happen if half of those who would attend are in Philly.

Also, if BC makes the title game it will be the same day as the spring game, which would be a problem even if there aren't many students/local fans who actually make the trip. Watching the spring game then heading over to Roggies to watch BC play in the national championship game is pretty much my idea of a dream day (short of actually being at the NC game), but many of the :geek: will spend the day studying so they can have the game on in the background while they study more that night.

The idea that 5k students would show up for the Spring Game is laughable.

As for the National Champs game, what are BC's chances of making it that far... 25% would be generous. There is a 75% chance that hockey won't have any impact on your 15k projection.

Last I checked the hocked team had only a couple losses.
How does HomoJS determine his 25% from that?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:50 pm

Really Hansen?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:06 am

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:I went to a number of spring games under TOB and Jags and attendance was usually in the 8-10k range if the weather was nice (seemed like it was in the typical Boston early spring, 40 and drizzly weather about every other year), that was without any attempt by the athletic department to market the event whatsoever. I see no reason why we can't surpass that in the future, but the stink of Spaz and Gene is not going to be washed off the program overnight.

I'm siding with Philly, not sure it was "usually" but in the 2 Jags years I remember ~8,000 there.

I also remember the 2012 Spazarelli special that had about 150
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:12 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:The spring game shouldn't EVER be on the same weekend as the Frozen Four. No excuse for that.

I highly doubt that the Frozen Four was high on the list of considerations when figuring out the football team's schedule for the spring.

It should be. At risk of sounding like a :whalepants we're not Alabama and we don't have 80,000 lunatics willing to attend an intrasquad scrimmage. We only have a few thousand lunatics, many of whom will prioritize the Frozen Four (assuming BC is taking part, which we have in 6 of the past 10 seasons) over said intrasquad scrimmage. The Frozen Four should always be avoided, and the NFL Draft should be avoided when possible; other than that, hold it as late in the year as allowed by the NCAA. I've always felt the spring game should be held the weekend of Marathon Monday whenever possible.

The football team should do what's best for the football team. Now, if it is possible to do this AND fit it around the Frozen Four and/or your brother's cousin's mistress' bat mitzvah, I'm sure that it would be considered. However, the calendar doesn't seem to work out that way this year. The amount of time that they are allowed to practice fits perfectly in between spring break and easter this year. This is not always the case.

I like the idea of having it the weekend of the marathon, but, again, the calendar this year screws up that idea. Maybe next year. Maybe the Spring game on Saturday, mock naval battles on Sunday, and the marathon on Monday. That would be awesome. Hell, throw a clambake in there and EVERYBODY will show up.

I'd argue that part of what's best for the football team is getting the best possible atmosphere for the spring game, which is not going to happen if it's the same day as a hockey national championship game in which BC is taking part.

Point is that if your statement is true, and the hockey fans make that much of a difference, the atmosphere is going to suck ass no matter what you do. You plan around what's best for the program and players, not the least shitty of your shitty fans.

The Frozen Four vs. spring game conflict is more of an issue some years than others (not that big an issue if the FF requires a flight), but this is a year that it will be a big one. There will be a TON of students and local young alums who make the trip to Philly if BC makes it. And I think the spring game could draw decent crowds (not Alabama, but ~15k including 5k or so students) if the team and weather are good and it's properly marketed, but that is not gonna happen if half of those who would attend are in Philly.

Also, if BC makes the title game it will be the same day as the spring game, which would be a problem even if there aren't many students/local fans who actually make the trip. Watching the spring game then heading over to Roggies to watch BC play in the national championship game is pretty much my idea of a dream day (short of actually being at the NC game), but many of the :geek: will spend the day studying so they can have the game on in the background while they study more that night.

As for the National Champs game, what are BC's chances of making it that far... 25% would be generous. There is a 75% chance that hockey won't have any impact on your 15k projection.

I figured it is an even year, so its our turn to win again.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:17 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

I'm siding with Philly, not sure it was "usually" but in the 2 Jags years I remember ~8,000 there.

I also remember the 2012 Spazarelli special that had about 150

It's tough to tell because people come and go during the spring game. It's not like a real game when most people will be in their seats for those seven minutes of the second quarter. I usually guessed around 5k in our best years, but I have no idea.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:34 pm

IIRC 2007, 2008, and 2009 all had very solid showings. 2005 and 2006 were awful weather I think (2006 in particular I remember had a bunch of Clemson fans in attendance since we were playing them in baseball at the same time), post-09 you had the full Spaz Effect
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:11 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

This. It is 2014, ergo we win. In the words of the McKenzie Brothers, "It is in the Constitution or something."
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:22 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

this

EVER TO EXCEL
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:03 am

All this fuss about conflicts with the Frozen Four and the game is April 5th.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:39 am

Seniors are already planning on tailgating and going this year.
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:45 am

I might actually get my lazy ass out there. Are there still tickets left?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:51 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I might actually get my lazy ass out there. Are there still tickets left?

And what about the tacos?
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby AdamBC on Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:46 am

Now that they've changed the date of the spring game to this weekend, I'm surprised I haven't received a bunch of emails from Athletics reminding me to go.

Nice that it isn't either/or with the Frozen Four.

Currently projected to be 62 and raining. Should be a stellar turnout.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:03 am

I know the Ath Dept has a lot going on but as you said the marketing for this game has been absolutely brutal.

Last year we got multpile emails about hte day, about tailgating, etc.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:18 am

they moved the spring game?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby AdamBC on Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:56 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:they moved the spring game?

it's not the same date that was originally announced (12th)
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:18 am

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Casey on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:27 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

The 25% odds HJS gave are little better than Vegas odds.

The fact is, all hockey teams entering the elite 8 have great records, and BC is not the top overall seed. If you assume the top 8 all gave an equal chance to advance to the NC, than it's 25% likely. But I really like the odds of BC making the NC game vs Minn, then I'd call it a toss up.
Casey
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:42 am

Casey {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

The 25% odds HJS gave are little better than Vegas odds.

The fact is, all hockey teams entering the elite 8 have great records, and BC is not the top overall seed. If you assume the top 8 all gave an equal chance to advance to the NC, than it's 25% likely. But I really like the odds of BC making the NC game vs Minn, then I'd call it a toss up.

It may have been around 25% in Vegas when the brackets were announced, but they had to be much, much lower in the middle of the season when I made the comment. That said, they are only one win away from making the game so the odds are greater than 50% at this point.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:10 am

Anyone else headed to the Spring Game? Since I give fuckall about hoop, and hockey is off for a week, might as well make it football season.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:24 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Anyone else headed to the Spring Game? Since I give fuckall about hoop, and hockey is off for a week, might as well make it football season.

I'm headed over soon. What section is the EO Section?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium