Spring Game

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Spring Game

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:15 pm

Forgot to post this earlier, was announced at the VT game that the Spring game will be April 12th.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: Spring Game

Postby Supahfan99 on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:41 am

Uh, correct me if I'm wrong but that is the date of the Frozen Four title game, no? Good chance BC will be in it and a lot of people will be in Philadelphia, especially given that it is a driveable location.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby angrychicken on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:44 am

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:Uh, correct me if I'm wrong but that is the date of the Frozen Four title game, no? Good chance BC will be in it and a lot of people will be in Philadelphia, especially given that it is a driveable location.

So there's a chance that the spring game won't be a sellout?
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby IgnacioA26er on Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:09 am

That was pretty damn funny. I'm sure people will want to get a look at the brand new direction the team is going though.
IgnacioA26er
n00b

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:22 am

Apparently, they are are not advertising it as "Steve Donahue's Spring Game." :flagus
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:35 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Apparently, they are are not advertising it as "Steve Donahue's Spring Game." :flagus

The Gene DeFilippo Memorial Spring Game
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:05 am

Is it safe to assume that practice starts on March 10th?
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:44 pm

It's just stupid to have the spring game on April 12th. Hockey team will be Philadelphia and it is usually on the cold side that early. Last Sat in April was always the best day for the spring game.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:00 pm

The spring game shouldn't EVER be on the same weekend as the Frozen Four. No excuse for that.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:06 am

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:The spring game shouldn't EVER be on the same weekend as the Frozen Four. No excuse for that.

I highly doubt that the Frozen Four was high on the list of considerations when figuring out the football team's schedule for the spring.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:06 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:It's just stupid to have the spring game on April 12th. Hockey team will be Philadelphia and it is usually on the cold side that early. Last Sat in April was always the best day for the spring game.

Exactly.

They probably didn't want Spring practice broken up by easter break though

Edit: I was "Exactly"ing the late April being the better time weather wise
Last edited by claver2010 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:29 am

Football team doesn't give a shit if the 50 people that root for both teams and care enough to travel for hockey are in Philly that day.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:03 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Football team doesn't give a shit if the 50 people that root for both teams and care enough to travel for hockey are in Philly that day.

...and they shouldn't.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:57 am

I am one of those 50. Suck eeeeet.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:10 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:I am one of those 50. Suck eeeeet.

Pretty sure 48 of those 50 are among the 35 regular posters here.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:17 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:I am one of those 50. Suck eeeeet.

Pretty sure 48 of those 50 are among the 35 regular posters here.

nicely done
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eaglecaddy on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:44 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:The spring game shouldn't EVER be on the same weekend as the Frozen Four. No excuse for that.

I highly doubt that the Frozen Four was high on the list of considerations when figuring out the football team's schedule for the spring.

Remember when spring football was done over the winter because of hingham high baseball considerations?
eaglecaddy
Campion Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:13 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

It should be. At risk of sounding like a :whalepants we're not Alabama and we don't have 80,000 lunatics willing to attend an intrasquad scrimmage. We only have a few thousand lunatics, many of whom will prioritize the Frozen Four (assuming BC is taking part, which we have in 6 of the past 10 seasons) over said intrasquad scrimmage. The Frozen Four should always be avoided, and the NFL Draft should be avoided when possible; other than that, hold it as late in the year as allowed by the NCAA. I've always felt the spring game should be held the weekend of Marathon Monday whenever possible.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:31 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

It should be.

No, it really shouldn't.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:10 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

It should be. At risk of sounding like a :whalepants we're not Alabama and we don't have 80,000 lunatics willing to attend an intrasquad scrimmage. We only have a few thousand lunatics, many of whom will prioritize the Frozen Four (assuming BC is taking part, which we have in 6 of the past 10 seasons) over said intrasquad scrimmage. The Frozen Four should always be avoided, and the NFL Draft should be avoided when possible; other than that, hold it as late in the year as allowed by the NCAA. I've always felt the spring game should be held the weekend of Marathon Monday whenever possible.

The football team should do what's best for the football team. Now, if it is possible to do this AND fit it around the Frozen Four and/or your brother's cousin's mistress' bat mitzvah, I'm sure that it would be considered. However, the calendar doesn't seem to work out that way this year. The amount of time that they are allowed to practice fits perfectly in between spring break and easter this year. This is not always the case.

I like the idea of having it the weekend of the marathon, but, again, the calendar this year screws up that idea. Maybe next year. Maybe the Spring game on Saturday, mock naval battles on Sunday, and the marathon on Monday. That would be awesome. Hell, throw a clambake in there and EVERYBODY will show up.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:57 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

The football team should do what's best for the football team. Now, if it is possible to do this AND fit it around the Frozen Four and/or your brother's cousin's mistress' bat mitzvah, I'm sure that it would be considered. However, the calendar doesn't seem to work out that way this year. The amount of time that they are allowed to practice fits perfectly in between spring break and easter this year. This is not always the case.

I like the idea of having it the weekend of the marathon, but, again, the calendar this year screws up that idea. Maybe next year. Maybe the Spring game on Saturday, mock naval battles on Sunday, and the marathon on Monday. That would be awesome. Hell, throw a clambake in there and EVERYBODY will show up.

What about a Jack & Jill shower?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:58 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

I'd argue that part of what's best for the football team is getting the best possible atmosphere for the spring game, which is not going to happen if it's the same day as a hockey national championship game in which BC is taking part.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:24 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

I'd argue that part of what's best for the football team is getting the best possible atmosphere for the spring game, which is not going to happen if it's the same day as a hockey national championship game in which BC is taking part.

You would have a point if BC had any sort of history of having a good atmosphere at a spring game.

Anyway, like I said before, the calendar this year didn't give them much to work with. If I remember correctly, they were looking to make it more of an event last year before it was canceled. I would like to see it become something bigger than it has been in the past.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:34 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

Point is that if your statement is true, and the hockey fans make that much of a difference, the atmosphere is going to suck ass no matter what you do. You plan around what's best for the program and players, not the least shitty of your shitty fans.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:08 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

Point is that if your statement is true, and the hockey fans make that much of a difference, the atmosphere is going to suck ass no matter what you do. You plan around what's best for the program and players, not the least shitty of your shitty fans.

The Frozen Four vs. spring game conflict is more of an issue some years than others (not that big an issue if the FF requires a flight), but this is a year that it will be a big one. There will be a TON of students and local young alums who make the trip to Philly if BC makes it. And I think the spring game could draw decent crowds (not Alabama, but ~15k including 5k or so students) if the team and weather are good and it's properly marketed, but that is not gonna happen if half of those who would attend are in Philly.

Also, if BC makes the title game it will be the same day as the spring game, which would be a problem even if there aren't many students/local fans who actually make the trip. Watching the spring game then heading over to Roggies to watch BC play in the national championship game is pretty much my idea of a dream day (short of actually being at the NC game), but many of the :geek: will spend the day studying so they can have the game on in the background while they study more that night.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:22 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

The Frozen Four vs. spring game conflict is more of an issue some years than others (not that big an issue if the FF requires a flight), but this is a year that it will be a big one. There will be a TON of students and local young alums who make the trip to Philly if BC makes it. And I think the spring game could draw decent crowds (not Alabama, but ~15k including 5k or so students) if the team and weather are good and it's properly marketed, but that is not gonna happen if half of those who would attend are in Philly.

Also, if BC makes the title game it will be the same day as the spring game, which would be a problem even if there aren't many students/local fans who actually make the trip. Watching the spring game then heading over to Roggies to watch BC play in the national championship game is pretty much my idea of a dream day (short of actually being at the NC game), but many of the :geek: will spend the day studying so they can have the game on in the background while they study more that night.

The idea that 5k students would show up for the Spring Game is laughable.

As for the National Champs game, what are BC's chances of making it that far... 25% would be generous. There is a 75% chance that hockey won't have any impact on your 15k projection.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:29 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

The idea that 5k students would show up for the Spring Game is laughable.

As for the National Champs game, what are BC's chances of making it that far... 25% would be generous. There is a 75% chance that hockey won't have any impact on your 15k projection.

I don't think roughly half the student body showing up is unreasonable if the team and weather are good--AND if there is an effort over several years to turn the spring game into an event. I wasn't saying that would happen this year, I was saying that with a proper long-term effort to market the spring game I think the spring game has the potential to draw those kinds of crowds.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:43 pm

I've learned that Philly has never been to a spring game and HJS has never been to a hockey game. Bully for me!
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:50 pm

I don't think the spring game is of any importance to the coaches. It's a big deal at the elite levels of college football, but not at BC. Brad Bates will be at the FF if BC makes it that far.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:00 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:1) I don't think the spring game is of any importance to the coaches. b) It's a big deal at the elite levels of college football, but not at BC.iii) Brad Bates will be at the FF if BC makes it that far.

1) incorrect
b) to the fans, yes
iii) ya think so?
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium