Other game thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Other game thread

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:00 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:FSU, while they aren't as good as last year, should be the unanimous #1 team in every poll. It really is ridiculous.

Why, just because they're undefeated?

If someone thinks that Alabama or Oregon would beat FSU in a head to head matchup, why shouldn't Alabama or Oregon be ranked ahead of FSU on their ballot?

What if I think 9-3 Ole Miss would beat Alabama in a head to head match up? Should they be #1? Should Arizona be #1 because I think they would beat Oregon head to head?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby talon on Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:43 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:FSU, while they aren't as good as last year, should be the unanimous #1 team in every poll. It really is ridiculous.

If someone thinks that Alabama or Oregon would beat FSU in a head to head matchup, why shouldn't Alabama or Oregon be ranked ahead of FSU on their ballot?

What if I think 9-3 Ole Miss would beat Alabama in a head to head match up? Should they be #1? Should Arizona be #1 because I think they would beat Oregon head to head?

If you have a vote, vote the team you think would beat all the other teams in the country #1. How is this difficult to understand?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:46 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

If you have a vote, vote the team you think would beat all the other teams in the country #1. How is this difficult to understand?

what if there is no "superteam" as you are surmising and even the #1 team would/could lose to another team... however that giant killer matches up poorly with 3 - 5 other teams and therefore wouldn't beat everyone - only the team that would beat the most other teams. By the transitive property does that make the team that matches up well against the superteam a #1 vote or does it not because there are more teams that can beat the giant killer than can beat the superteam?

EDIT - i am not scrush but i believe (s)he could do a better job explaining this
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:56 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

I vote for the team that has actually done this.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:58 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

Especially since I am positive that teams with one loss cannot beat all of the other teams in the country.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby talon on Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:08 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

So, prior to last week's Eastern Kentucky game, where would you have ranked Marshall?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:10 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

So, prior to last week's Eastern Kentucky game, where would you have ranked Marshall?

I wouldn't have noticed them. Your logic box sucks.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby talon on Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:21 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

So your "undefeated teams MUST be ranked above all other 1 loss teams NO EXCEPTIONS" rule has some exceptions.

got it.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:23 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

So your "undefeated teams MUST be ranked above all other 1 loss teams NO EXCEPTIONS" rule has some exceptions.

got it.

I don't have a rule. Your rule is just dumb. I don't think Alabama or Oregon can beat every team in the country, because neither will. Hence, and therefore, even your rule leaves only FSU.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby talon on Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:26 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

got it.

I don't have a rule. Your rule is just dumb. I don't think Alabama or Oregon can beat every team in the country, because neither will. Hence, and therefore, even your rule leaves only FSU.

Well, I think Oregon is the best team in the country. I think they'll beat Arizona in the rematch and I think they could beat FSU and Alabama. But according to you, I'd be an idiot if I voted for the team that I think is the best team in the country #1.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:29 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

got it.

Well, I think Oregon is the best team in the country. I think they'll beat Arizona in the rematch and I think they could beat FSU and Alabama. But according to you, I'd be an idiot if I voted for the team that I think is the best team in the country #1.

My reasons for thinking you are an idiot are not so limited.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:37 pm

In all seriousness, your belief about Alabama or Oregon beating FSU is largely based on media hype for one conference that is top heavy and another that flat out sucks and a third that gets no credit for being as good as the other two.

Fact is that I think Alabama may be the best team right now. But right now doesn't excuse not being the best team against a mediocre Ole Miss squad in early October. Just like BC playing very well in the second half of the season with a tougher schedule and probably being a top 25 team right now doesn't excuse shitty losses to Pitt and CSU.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby talon on Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:42 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:In all seriousness, your belief about Alabama or Oregon beating FSU is largely based on media hype for one conference that is top heavy and another that flat out sucks and a third that gets no credit for being as good as the other two.

Fact is that I think Alabama may be the best team right now. But right now doesn't excuse not being the best team against a mediocre Ole Miss squad in early October. Just like BC playing very well in the second half of the season with a tougher schedule and probably being a top 25 team right now doesn't excuse shitty losses to Pitt and CSU.

Who wins the title this year?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:44 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:In all seriousness, your belief about Alabama or Oregon beating FSU is largely based on media hype for one conference that is top heavy and another that flat out sucks and a third that gets no credit for being as good as the other two.

Who wins the title this year?

Don't know, games haven't been played yet. But FSU is the #1 team in the country right now.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby tallsy on Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:34 pm

I'm hoping Boise loses this weekend so Memphis gets a New Year's Day bowl.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby talon on Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:06 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Don't know, games haven't been played yet. But FSU is the #1 team in the country right now.

Who do you think wins the title this year?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:26 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Don't know, games haven't been played yet. But FSU is the #1 team in the country right now.

Who do you think wins the title this year?

Florida St.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:12 pm

FSU deserves to stay #1 until someone beats them. Generally speaking the pecking order should go 1) undefeated P5 teams, 2) 1-loss P5 teams, 3) undefeated midmajors, 4) everyone else. You can debate teams' relative merits within each category but I have a tough time jumping a team from one category above a team in a higher one, at least past the midpoint of the season or so. That said while I do think they're getting hosed out of the #1 seed I don't see any real difference between #2 and #3 in this format given that all the games are at neutral sites and it's not hockey or baseball where the home team has an actual advantage built into the rules.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:46 am

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:FSU deserves to stay #1 until someone beats them. Generally speaking the pecking order should go 1) undefeated P5 teams, 2) 1-loss P5 teams, 3) undefeated midmajors, 4) everyone else.

This

P.s. I don't ever recall seeing a 1 loss P5 team ever being ranked ahead of a undefeated team this late in the season. The bias of the voters this year against FSU is unbelievable.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby talon on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:42 am

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:FSU deserves to stay #1 until someone beats them.

FSU deserves to stay #1 as long as a majority of voters believe they're the best team in the country.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:51 am

talon {l Wrote}:
PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:FSU deserves to stay #1 until someone beats them.

FSU deserves to stay #1 until a school gets a bigger hype machine to sway the media and voters in their favor to assist in generating more votes based on "feelings" and "strength."

fixed
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:11 am

talon has bought into the PAC10/SEC media bullshit hook line and sinker.

FSU may not win the national title, but they are #1 right fucking now.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby talon on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:10 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:FSU may not win the national title, but they are #1 right fucking now.

that's your opinion.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll
http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/fo ... ches-poll/

I see FSU is #2 in both the coaches poll and the AP poll. Where do you see them ranked #1?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:21 am

talon {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:FSU may not win the national title, but they are #1 right fucking now.

that's your opinion.

I see FSU is #2 in both the coaches poll and the AP poll. Where do you see them ranked #1?

Reality.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:24 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

that's your opinion.

Reality.

Was the premise of this whole retarded and circular mental jerkoff session just to get back to citing the polls, or did you really want to know what people thought about who is #1?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:45 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

that's your opinion.

Reality.

Was the premise of this whole retarded and circular mental jerkoff session just to get back to citing the polls, or did you really want to know what people thought about who is #1?

everything he does is for the former
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby talon on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:47 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

that's your opinion.

Reality.

I think ranking teams is subjective.

You seem to think that it's an easy, clear cut objective process.

The fact that the existing polls don't like up with they way you think they should proves that they're not as objective as you think they should be.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:54 am

talon {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

that's your opinion.

Reality.

The fact that the existing polls don't like up with they way you think they should proves that they're not as objective as you think they should be.

I think nothing of the sort. I think that Alabama and Oregon cannot, by definition, beat every team in the country, whereas FSU is still capable of that feat. So I simply applied your test to declare FSU #1, causing you to engage in a bunch of circular nonsense that you have convinced yourself is like the shortbus Socratic Method.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Reverend Mike on Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:12 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

that's your opinion.

Reality.

I think nothing of the sort. I think that Alabama and Oregon cannot, by definition, beat every team in the country, whereas FSU is still capable of that feat. So I simply applied your test to declare FSU #1, causing you to engage in a bunch of circular nonsense that you have convinced yourself is like the shortbus Socratic Method.

Talon's logic box only has 3 sides. "The fact that you don't agree that the earth is flat proves that the flatness or roundness of the earth is subjective."
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby talon on Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:24 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I think nothing of the sort. I think that Alabama and Oregon cannot, by definition, beat every team in the country, whereas FSU is still capable of that feat. So I simply applied your test to declare FSU #1, causing you to engage in a bunch of circular nonsense that you have convinced yourself is like the shortbus Socratic Method.

And a week ago, Marshall was the only other team in the country still capable of that feat, but they weren't ranked #2. Could that because people consider more than just a team's record when submitting their rankings?
talon
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium