Other game thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Other game thread

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:18 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:this game will have a decent sized impact on my thoughts on addazio. not necessarily in terms of the result - i dont think its fair to expect a win. moreso in his approach to the game, conservative / aggressive playcalling etc etc

Exactly. Rather see them get smooshed going for it than milk Hilliman for 105 yards on 42 carries to be down by only 10 points in the 4th.

itd be a great sign if he had a gameplan similar to USC...would show you a lot in terms of his approach towards top opponents AND his willingness to be open to change (for example, the first big game he ever coached - @USC, he was overly conservative & it seemed to be a keep it close plan)

I think all the vinnyhiggins talk about "conservative" and "aggressive" in play calling is stupid. Most would say that we were "aggressive" in the play calls used against Pitt and Ville. However, those were... BY FAR... our two worst performances. And both were the games where I think Day did a crap job. The play calling against Ville should have been the same "boring" "conservative" plays we ran against Clemson.

FSU is weak up the middle. If we had a QB who could throw or WRs who could catch, I'd suggest a bunch of seams and posts. Unfortunately, that isn't what we are are able to do. As such, we should be running dives and option reads (as their DEs are good but dumb). However, the Alston sweeps ain't gonna work against this team. First, the DLine has Alston's speed (and the LBs are even faster). Second, PJ Williams is good.

People hold up the USC game as a beacon of Day's good play calling, but I don't think it was any different than any other game (not Pitt/Ville). It was good only because the shit worked. If a WR missed a block against the Trojans resulting in Tyler Murphy getting tackled after a 2 yard gain instead of an 80-yard TD, it becomes another WTF are we running the same play over-and-over again?!!??!?!?11 You can call the perfect play and if someone misses his assignment it is a 2-yard loss.

Again... it all comes down to overall scheme. In Pitt and Ville, we decided to take what the D was giving... which meant we would be airing it out. Stupid. Murphy's 6 INTs in those two games hopefully puts that nonsense to bed. While FSU's secondary is vulnerable, we simply aren't good enough to sling it. We need to pick our spots (like Clemson) and hope they can convert.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:36 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:this game will have a decent sized impact on my thoughts on addazio. not necessarily in terms of the result - i dont think its fair to expect a win. moreso in his approach to the game, conservative / aggressive playcalling etc etc

Exactly. Rather see them get smooshed going for it than milk Hilliman for 105 yards on 42 carries to be down by only 10 points in the 4th.

itd be a great sign if he had a gameplan similar to USC...would show you a lot in terms of his approach towards top opponents AND his willingness to be open to change (for example, the first big game he ever coached - @USC, he was overly conservative & it seemed to be a keep it close plan)

I think all the vinnyhiggins talk about "conservative" and "aggressive" in play calling is stupid. Most would say that we were "aggressive" in the play calls used against Pitt and Ville. However, those were... BY FAR... our two worst performances. And both were the games where I think Day did a crap job. The play calling against Ville should have been the same "boring" "conservative" plays we ran against Clemson.

FSU is weak up the middle. If we had a QB who could throw or WRs who could catch, I'd suggest a bunch of seams and posts. Unfortunately, that isn't what we are are able to do. As such, we should be running dives and option reads (as their DEs are good but dumb). However, the Alston sweeps ain't gonna work against this team. First, the DLine has Alston's speed (and the LBs are even faster). Second, PJ Williams is good.

People hold up the USC game as a beacon of Day's good play calling, but I don't think it was any different than any other game (not Pitt/Ville). It was good only because the shit worked. If a WR missed a block against the Trojans resulting in Tyler Murphy getting tackled after a 2 yard gain instead of an 80-yard TD, it becomes another WTF are we running the same play over-and-over again?!!??!?!?11 You can call the perfect play and if someone misses his assignment it is a 2-yard loss.

Again... it all comes down to overall scheme. In Pitt and Ville, we decided to take what the D was giving... which meant we would be airing it out. Stupid. Murphy's 6 INTs in those two games hopefully puts that nonsense to bed. While FSU's secondary is vulnerable, we simply aren't good enough to sling it. We need to pick our spots (like Clemson) and hope they can convert.

I will give this all the thought it deserves. By that, I mean none.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:50 am

One aspect of USC that i'm pissed we haven't seen since (unless I've missed it) is Willis & Hilliman in the backfield.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:52 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:One aspect of USC that i'm pissed we haven't seen since (unless I've missed it) is Willis & Hilliman in the backfield.

Hilliman at FB was inspired.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:08 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Since you took the time to type a response, I see your understanding of "none" is the same as your understanding of football.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:26 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Since you took the time to type a response, I see your understanding of "none" is the same as your understanding of football.

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:11 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I gave up worrying about what you thought of my football knowledge ... oh wait, no pretty much never worried in the first place.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:12 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I was going to go with #gallopingsnooki
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby gallopingghost on Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:29 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Wow! Its great to see that you are thinking of me.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:39 pm

I still think that BC will run the Alston reverse a few times. He may get tackled for an 8 yard loss by three guys, but I bet you he breaks one. BC's only chance in this game is that FSU no shows mentally. A game sandwiched between an emotional and hard fought win over Miami and the rivalry game with UF, is the pure definition of a trap game. If FSU is say less than 80% committed it will show itself in BC being too physical for FSU, and FSU not paying attention to assignments and guys like Alston running free.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:58 pm

I think we can and will win this game. The only thing giving me pause is that FSU will not forget about last year. They were giving shout outs to us in post-game pressers after the MNC game last year. I think they will be there mentally, we will need to be more physical.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:09 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Wow! Its great to see that you are thinking of me.

I'm not anymore than I am thinking of Mr. Bates when I say Bates-stamp. Your meme has transcended you.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Brooklyneagle on Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:25 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:I think we can and will win this game. The only thing giving me pause is that FSU will not forget about last year. They were giving shout outs to us in post-game pressers after the MNC game last year. I think they will be there mentally, we will need to be more physical.

I've had the same thought, FSU's memory of last year.
Brooklyneagle
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:27 pm

I've seen FSU against the read option. Literally run that every play.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:30 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:if a team in the acc hires the right coach it can be a top 10 team in the nation within 2-3 years. pretty much half the conference varies from mediocre at best to a steaming pile of shit right now (wake, cuse, nc state, virginia, pitt, vt, unc)

think about how quickly we get to 7 wins a year. doesn't take much more to get those final few

You need to include BC in that list. And I disagree with the last statement. I don't see BC winning this division anytime soon due to those last few (FSU, Clemson, Louisville)
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:20 am

Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:I think we can and will win this game. The only thing giving me pause is that FSU will not forget about last year. They were giving shout outs to us in post-game pressers after the MNC game last year. I think they will be there mentally, we will need to be more physical.

I think last year combined with the über amped up blackout-thing combined with them wanting to make a statement means that they'll get out fast against us. Thinking they'll be up 14 at some point I'm the first half. If BC is going to win, it will be by grinding away at them and kinda flipping the script (FSU doesn't need to make halftime adjustments). The idea being that when shit starts going away from them in the second half, they start to press and make mistakes (and won't have the benefit of a halftime coaching session). Not saying we are going to win, just that hypothetically that is the only way I see us leaving Tally with a W.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:54 am

FSU hasn't started playing until midway through the second quarter all season. Not sure what makes people think that BC coming in is going to change that.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Brooklyneagle on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:06 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:

I think last year combined with the über amped up blackout-thing combined with them wanting to make a statement means that they'll get out fast against us. Thinking they'll be up 14 at some point I'm the first half. If BC is going to win, it will be by grinding away at them and kinda flipping the script (FSU doesn't need to make halftime adjustments). The idea being that when shit starts going away from them in the second half, they start to press and make mistakes (and won't have the benefit of a halftime coaching session). Not saying we are going to win, just that hypothetically that is the only way I see us leaving Tally with a W.

As often, I agree with HJS. Flipping the script. USC went up on us 17-3 (I think). Given how they'd had their way with us last year, they thought the game was over at that point. That, combined with the fact that they hadn't wanted to bother playing the game in the wet and cold evening, set them up for defeat. By the time they got serious again, time ran out -- and Murphy had made his miraculous 4th quarter run.

Some version of such a scenario -- along with a miraculous Murphy run or two and some unprecedented BC pick sixes -- is our best hope.
Brooklyneagle
Carney Hall

Postby Brooklyneagle on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:33 am

On second thought and given the lack of love being shown to FSU, despite the #1 poll ranking, FSU may well be motivated to produce some "style points" on Saturday. If so, not good for the Eagles.
Brooklyneagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:35 pm

The idea that FSU can just decide to put up style points is stupid. They aren't that good. They win, and deserve to be #1, but they aren't good enough to dictate terms.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle216 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:13 pm

I don't know why we are ready to just crown their asses. Their games have been almost always close, and they have been playing the same calibur of teams that we have been playing. While its certainly possible that we receive a proper dry bumming, the more likely result is a close game. At some point, you would think FSU would lose one.

The idea that FSU suddenly discovers the concept of style pointsl is preposterous. Some of you act like they could have beaten Louisville, Miami, et al by 50, but chose not to.

This is a winnable game, and likely to be in the balance as the 4th quarter winds down. My silly ass prediction is that we win, principally due to our WRs finally making some plays, with Murphy's legs sealing the win. I think our D gives up a lot of yards, but forces 3s instead of 6s (oh wait, FSU can hit PATS, so 7s). We win 30-26.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:04 pm

The Louisville game was less than impressive for BC. I think Jameis should have an easy time passing on BC's D. I think FSU will pull away and win by a couple of touchdowns.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:38 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The idea that FSU can just decide to put up style points is stupid. They aren't that good. They win, and deserve to be #1, but they aren't good enough to dictate terms.

The main argument over on Tomahawk Nation right now is how many points they will win by.

BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:52 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The idea that FSU can just decide to put up style points is stupid. They aren't that good. They win, and deserve to be #1, but they aren't good enough to dictate terms.

The main argument over on Tomahawk Nation right now is how many points they will win by.

are most of the guesses greater than the 19.5 point spread?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Brooklyneagle on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:27 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:

It's not a matter of casually deciding to put up style points, as though anyone were saying that. It's all about varying levels of motivation -- which is why there can be such things as trap games. Given FSU's pattern this season, it would seem reasonable to claim that they are a team for which motivation varies extraordinarily from week to week and, even more, half to half. If FSU has a big chip on its shoulder on Saturday because the sports media are dissing their worthiness, then they might well be inclined to turn it on full blast. I would rather the opposite.
Brooklyneagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:32 pm

Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:

It's not a matter of casually deciding to put up style points, as though anyone were saying that. It's all about varying levels of motivation -- which is why there can be such things as trap games. Given FSU's pattern this season, it would seem reasonable to claim that they are a team for which motivation varies extraordinarily from week to week and, even more, half to half. If FSU has a big chip on its shoulder on Saturday because the sports media are dissing their worthiness, then they might well be inclined to turn it on full blast. I would rather the opposite.

Given FSU's pattern this season, it's more fair to assume they will be down 21 in the 2nd Q, like they have in almost every game, than it is to say that they will start strong.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Brooklyneagle on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:42 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:

Given FSU's pattern this season, it's more fair to assume they will be down 21 in the 2nd Q, like they have in almost every game, than it is to say that they will start strong.

You may well be right. If given the choice, I'd rather they be down by 21 or more in the 2nd quarter than that they start strong. Let's hope.
Brooklyneagle
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:49 pm

at this point you two have me picturing a smoke hazed room lit only by a desk lamp where jimbo and jameis are debating the pros and cons of seeking style points vs. going down by 21 in the 2nd quarter

for some reason, the penguin's umbrella leans against a built-in bookshelf somewhere towards the back of the scene.

as a part of viewing this scene i'm wondering if jimbo's hiding from jameis that the bookshelf is actually a hidden doorway and behind it is the "style points" playbook - so secretly jimbo has been playing jameis throughout this whole "debate" much like jameis played jimbo by suiting up for a game he was clearly suspended.

in the back of jimbo's mind i head the voiceover "check-and-mate, jameis... check-and-mate"
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:52 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:

And it's not like they're blowing out every team so far this season. Their average margin of victory is 14 points, and theyre averaging 15 points less per game than they did last year (52ppg in 2013 vs. 37ppg this year). Their biggest blow out being wake (40 points) and their closest wins being Miami and Notre Dame. They're not exactly facing a murderer's row either. The best team on their schedule might be Clemson since Notre Dame has proven to be a paper tiger and will likely finish with four losses.

I'm doubtful they're just going to be able to score at will. Not saying they won't win big, but I don't think this is going to be Jameis Rainman putting on a clinic.

BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby Brooklyneagle on Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:38 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:at this point you two have me picturing a smoke hazed room lit only by a desk lamp where jimbo and jameis are debating the pros and cons of seeking style points vs. going down by 21 in the 2nd quarter

for some reason, the penguin's umbrella leans against a built-in bookshelf somewhere towards the back of the scene.

as a part of viewing this scene i'm wondering if jimbo's hiding from jameis that the bookshelf is actually a hidden doorway and behind it is the "style points" playbook - so secretly jimbo has been playing jameis throughout this whole "debate" much like jameis played jimbo by suiting up for a game he was clearly suspended.

in the back of jimbo's mind i head the voiceover "check-and-mate, jameis... check-and-mate"

Excellent!
Brooklyneagle
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium