2015 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2015 Recruiting Thread

Postby QuailMan on Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:39 pm

bcbasketball20 {l Wrote}:any other possible commits or is this class pretty much done??

I bet we get a few more targets and decomits. Who? I have no idea
QuailMan
Carney Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:56 pm

QuailMan {l Wrote}:
bcbasketball20 {l Wrote}:any other possible commits or is this class pretty much done??

Any currents commits from Rutgers that we could steal?
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:01 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:
QuailMan {l Wrote}:

We''ll have to fight PSU for them. I think a kid on an RU visit committed to PSU the day after the game last week.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby 31southst on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:48 pm

QuailMan {l Wrote}:

The uncommitted names we're still associated with on EA seem to be Wilkins, Qaadir Sheppard, Justice Shelton-Mosley, Colin Samuel, and Wesley Annan. Of those, the last 3 seem to be more likely (all have said they'll take an official). There will also probably be a couple kids that have big senior years and a couple that decommit from other schools.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:34 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:
QuailMan {l Wrote}:

We''ll have to fight PSU for them. I think a kid on an RU visit committed to PSU the day after the game last week.

buddy, who is a PSU grad from LI said that happened.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:30 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:
QuailMan {l Wrote}:

buddy, who is a PSU grad from LI said that happened.

The recent commit PSU picked up was Daiquan Kelly who was committed to Cuse, teammate of Stephen Gonzalez (PSU OL commit from Union City)
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby bcbasketball20 on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:26 pm

not too pumped about this class. honestly i thought our success last year would get us much better recruits.

i think 2016 we will get much better caliber players
bcbasketball20
Carney Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:25 am

bcbasketball20 {l Wrote}:not too pumped about this class. honestly i thought our success last year would get us much better recruits.

Its solid, it just lack a superstar.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:39 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
bcbasketball20 {l Wrote}:not too pumped about this class. honestly i thought our success last year would get us much better recruits.

Its solid, it just lack a superstar.

It is lacking any four star busts, therefore it can't be any good.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:19 am

Youre saying this based on the star rankings on rivals. There is very little difference between this class and last years class aside from a few names at the top (where last year Strachan, Landry and Hilliman were all rated 4*).
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby QuailMan on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:28 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

Youre saying this based on the star rankings on rivals. There is very little difference between this class and last years class aside from a few names at the top (where last year Strachan, Landry and Hilliman were all rated 4*).

Two of those 4* have major roles as true freshman. I wouldn't mind a couple more in this years class
QuailMan
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:33 am

I agree that this class is very solid. I also agree that it could use one or two impact players, especially on the defensive side of the ball - DT, CB. Wilkins, for example, would put the class over the top for me, as unlikely as that may be.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:07 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

This class doesn't help with any of the major needs on this team, specifically WR and secondary
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby NJM89 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:14 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

This class doesn't help with any of the major needs on this team, specifically WR and secondary

We have 3 WR's and 4 DB's in that class...Also to go with the 4 WR and 5-6 DB's from last years class.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:33 am

NJM89 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

We have 3 WR's and 4 DB's in that class...Also to go with the 4 WR and 5-6 DB's from last years class.

Yeah, WR is not the issue. DB and DL on the other hand....
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bcbasketball20 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:06 am

im not just looking at stars I'm looking at the rivals rating

only one 5.7 and no 5.8's

that could surely change but you have to say last years class is better as of now. there is no hilliman, landry, strachan in this class, however the middle of the pack might be slightly better than last year. I'm not mad i think its a good class to build on, i just thought we would see an even better class than last year coming off a good season as opposed to getting the other class coming off an awful season.
bcbasketball20
Carney Hall

Postby Bunratty on Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:03 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

There is very little difference between this class and last years class.

And that's a problem. Last year's class was very good - especially coming off a 2-10 shitshow, and it being Daz's first year at The Heights. Coming off a surprising 7-6 season and bowl (albeit toilet) appearance, combined with a second year to be working recruits, this year's class should be significantly superior to last year. And it isn't. Very disappointing.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:08 pm

Ughh
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 31southst on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:44 pm

Speaking of Wilkins, a couple of updates today:

https://bostoncollege.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1687844

Only a fraction of the top high school players are invited to the Under Armour All-America Game. Even fewer hail from the Northeast. Rivals100 defensive tackle Christian Wilkins from Suffield (Conn.) Suffield Academy is going to Orlando with that in mind.

"I'm looking forward to seeing where I'm at nationally being able to play with all of those guys," said the 6-foot-5, 305-pound Wilkins. "I want to be able to showcase my talents and show that guys from the Northeast can play with anybody. I feel like both Chris Clark and I will be able to represent Connecticut very well.

"It's a great honor being considered an Under Armour All-American," he said. "I feel honored because of all the people that were in a position to make the roster, I'm happy to be one of them. It just shows that all the hard work through these four years of high school has paid off."

While the competition will be intense, Wilkins is looking forward to taking everything in.

"I haven't really looked at the roster very much," Wilkins said. "I know I'm looking forward to working with a few of the guys, learning some things and teaching each other new things. I'm interested in getting to know they guys and build relationships with some of them because you never know what will happen in college."

Wilkins' recruitment has been a little slow to develop, but he has already taken an official visit to Stanford.

"It was a good visit to Stanford," he said. "It was helpful. It was nice to get that visit in and I'm planning on taking all my other ones as well. I got to see a lot of what the campus life is like and watch the game. I got a good feel for the everyday life of a player. I made connections with everybody. They were telling me about the opportunities on and off the field out there."

There are still a number of other schools on Wilkins' radar.

"I haven't scheduled any of my other visits yet or penciled anything in yet," he said. "I'm keeping in contact with Ohio State, Penn State, Clemson, Boston College, Stanford and Notre Dame. I don't know if I'll be committed by then. It's tough to say really."

With having already taken an official visit to Stanford and taken many trips to nearby Boston College, Wilkins responded to speculation that Ohio State, Penn State, Clemson and Notre Dame could receive his other four official visits.

"In some ways, maybe," said Wilkins. "Anything could play out. I don't know if I'll want to visit another school yet."

Through two games of his senior season, Wilkins has 21 total tackles and three tackles for a loss.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/on-the-trail/post/_/id/59397/ua-jersey-tour-christian-wilkins

Defensive tackle Christian Wilkins is probably one of the highest-ranked prospects that no one knows about. Wilkins is perfectly fine with that, too, as he has made it a point to stay out of the limelight.

The No. 83 ranked prospect was presented with his Under Armour All-American jersey on Wednesday and said his process has been smooth sailing because of his plan to keep things to himself.

“I just wanted to let things happen on their own. I feel like there’s not really a point to getting all the media involved with everything,” he said. “It’s my process and I’m going to control it. I don’t want people to be in my ear about things and I just didn’t think adding the media to the process was necessary.”

Wilkins has done an excellent job balancing high school life with his recruiting process and is happy because of it. That doesn’t mean he isn’t serious about his recruitment, though, as things are starting to wind down.

The ESPN 300 prospect has already taken one official visit to Stanford and plans on taking four more out of a list of top schools.

“The last visits will be between Boston College, Clemson, Penn State, Ohio State and Notre Dame,” he said. “I’m coming closer to my decision. I don’t have a set date, but definitely in the next few months.”

Wilkins had plenty more to talk about after his jersey presentation and gave us a look at who he really is.

What one player are you looking forward to competing against?
I haven’t really looked at the roster. I’m just overall excited to play against the top players. That’s a great opportunity for me to showcase my talents, get better and play against the best high school players from all over the country. I’m excited to play with the players and learn from them and get better from being in that environment.

If you could start a team with any other player in your class who would it be?
I believe it starts up front so I would either go with a defensive or offensive lineman. Some of the guys I’ve met in my recruiting process like Adam McLean or Tim Settle, it would be one of those two. That would be cool and we would definitely have a good time knowing them.

What was your earliest football memory?
My first memory, I wasn’t a huge fan of football when I was younger and every time someone would play I would ask why they were playing it. Then after being around my siblings they taught me how to play and ever since then I have loved it.

Which football player did you idolize or want to be like when you were a kid?
Any of the Patriots because they always have good players. Good players like Warren Sapp, even Michael Strahan.

If you could take on any pro player in their sport who would it be?:
That would definitely be my favorite athlete, Paul Pierce. Just because I always wanted the chance to meet him and the chance to hang out with him would be great. Playing him in one on one, he’s a crafty guy so maybe in some way that would rub off on me. He’s just a great man, so I could learn a lot from him.

Why do you wear your number?:
My favorite number is 42 and that’s the number I hope to wear in the Under Armour game. That’s the [year] my grandpa was born. My grandfather passed about four years ago now. The impact he had on my life was great. I take that number everywhere and know that he’s in my mind.

What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?:
One is that I’m a mama’s boy. I love my mom deeply. The other is my obsession with the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. That was a show I watched growing up and my brothers were in to that when I was growing up. I always got into it and even today it’s my favorite movie. It’s just one of those things that sticks with you.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby bcbasketball20 on Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:27 pm

QUESTION

is this class going to be ranked higher or lower than last years class (last years class was ranked 42)?
bcbasketball20
Carney Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:15 pm

bcbasketball20 {l Wrote}:QUESTION

is this class going to be ranked higher or lower than last years class (last years class was ranked 42)?

I was really surprised to see us currently at #31.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:28 am

Size, hansen

Last year's class should have been ranked a lot higher. It will take a few years of solid recruiting for BC to have a rep again. We all know that a 2-star LB from St. X that goes to BC is a 2 star LB, maybe 3. The minute he commits to tOSU, he's a 4. Everyone knows that deciding to go to a top 25 school automatically makes you better at football.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:59 am

hansen stopped listening at "size"
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle216 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:46 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Size, hansen

Last year's class should have been ranked a lot higher. It will take a few years of solid recruiting for BC to have a rep again. We all know that a 2-star LB from St. X that goes to BC is a 2 star LB, maybe 3. The minute he commits to tOSU, he's a 4. Everyone knows that deciding to go to a top 25 school automatically makes you better at football.

This, all day long, and I (and others) have been saying it for a while. In the early days of the interwebs (thank you Al Gore!!!), I was a recruiting wEirDoz, following the ups and down of stars, soft verbals, commitments, and verbals. But eventually I saw it for what it really was - a self serving circle jerk wherein so-called gurus simply declared that so and so had some arbitrary amount of stars simply because he was offered by Big Ums, while at the same time these same gurus simply declared said Big Ums to have the best recruiting classes. Eventually I realized that if TGOSB and his ilk knew how to evaluate high school talent, they would be doing so on the staff of a Big Um.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:50 am

eagle216 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Size, hansen

This, all day long, and I (and others) have been saying it for a while. In the early days of the interwebs (thank you Al Gore!!!), I was a recruiting wEirDoz, following the ups and down of stars, soft verbals, commitments, and verbals. But eventually I saw it for what it really was - a self serving circle jerk wherein so-called gurus simply declared that so and so had some arbitrary amount of stars simply because he was offered by Big Ums, while at the same time these same gurus simply declared said Big Ums to have the best recruiting classes. Eventually I realized that if TGOSB and his ilk knew how to evaluate high school talent, they would be doing so on the staff of a Big Um.

If BC consistently wins 7-9 games, they will consistently have classes in the 20s and 30s. This is not a chicken and egg situation. Winning comes first, then the correlating bump in the rankings. It is so bad that BC's classes that get them to that point will be ranked lower than the classes once they get there, regardless of relative talent.

It is known
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:35 am

No bye week for the Dazzler:
Looking at Northwestern Commit Zach Allen

Boston College head coach Steve Addazio stood in attendance on the New Canaan sideline with Eagles tight end coach Mark Leonard. Boston College offered Allen a scholarship last December.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby bcbasketball20 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:53 pm

did the math

we have 56 scholarship players for next year. add 23 freshman and that gives us 6 open spots for transfers/more recruits.

i bet probably 3 players don't come back cause that happens every year so that gives us 9 open spots. get 4 more recruits and 4/5 transfers and were golden,
bcbasketball20
Carney Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:50 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:No bye week for the Dazzler:
Looking at Northwestern Commit Zach Allen

Boston College head coach Steve Addazio stood in attendance on the New Canaan sideline with Eagles tight end coach Mark Leonard. Boston College offered Allen a scholarship last December.

24 had said earlier in the year, when both Allen and Gaziano commited to NW, that their process was not over. NW put a squeeze on both to commit (or else their offer would disappear) and said that both could still be viable options. I think Fitzgerald has a policy in which guys who visit elsewhere after commiting are more or less cut loose (he cut his 2 top commits, twins who just commited to UK, when they wanted to take more visits), so if Addazio can get Allen on campus there could be something here.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:18 pm

are they recruiting both Allen and Gaziano, or just Allen. Can someone refresh on postion, impact and offers on both?
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

BC recruit gets catfished

Postby Supahfan99 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:07 am

http://yahoo.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/ ... ng-catfish

The catfishing trend has officially transitioned from the dating sphere to college football recruiting.

Houshun Gaines, a three-star defensive end recruit from North Carolin's Nash Central High School, formally announced last week his commitment to attend Florida.

Nash Central's Houshun Gaines is a Florida Gator: http://t.co/Pjgl5qXJce via @ @RMTSports pic.twitter.com/kKoF1pb1cG

— Andrew Ivins (@andrewrivins) October 3, 2014

The only problem? He didn't actually have an offer from the Gators.

Gaines claimed he was in communication with Florida assistant Brad Lawing. But the athletic director at Gaines' high school spoke with Gators coaches and they said they haven't spoken with Gaines in weeks. College coaches aren't allowed to publicly comment on recruits until they officially sign with the school.

As it turns out, Gaines was communicating on Twitter with someone he thought was associated with the program. He thought he spoke with Lawing the night before his commitment, but it turns out it must have been someone pretending to be Florida's defensive line coach.

“The (Florida) coaches said that there are so many people out there who claim to be close to the program or be part of the program, who aren’t part of the program that get in a kid’s ear,” Nash Central athletic director Michael Mosley told the Rocky Mountain Telegram. “They can’t filter it.”

Gaines had been in contact with Lawing over the summer, and the two had even met in Gainesville:

“@MistaAlderman: Brad Lawing talking with 3 star DE Houshun Gaines in stands at FNL http://t.co/skM2JPx0Ty pic.twitter.com/FIWtPxGsvr”

— Houshun Gaines (@HZGduoUno) July 27, 2014

Florida expressed interest in Gaines but never made an official offer. According to Mosley, who spoke with Gators coaches, there's still a possibility that they'll extend an offer to Gaines.

Fortunately for Gaines, he appears to be in good spirits following the ordeal:

Due to recent events I am not committed and my recruitment is still open.

— Houshun Gaines (@HZGduoUno) October 5, 2014

Lol I didn't think about it that way but, I got catfished.. Haha

— Houshun Gaines (@HZGduoUno) October 6, 2014

The kid done made the bleacher report. http://t.co/Lx1a5zr63O

Never stressing because I'm sitting comfortably in the palm of God's hands..

Gaines does have real offers from a handful of schools including Miami, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, North Carolina State and Boston College.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium