2015 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2015 Recruiting Thread

Postby JesuitIvy on Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:13 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:I noticed today that Vanderbilt lost Jackson Perry, a 3* DT recruit...to Dartmouth. We still need help on the DLine? Is there an opportunity here if the kid wants a great education while playing football in Mass?

So he should be looking at Harvard..... or Tufts then. If he flipped from Vandy to Dartmouth, BC is not on his radar and most likely due to academics.

So... I guess for Millennials... Tufts has risen above Dartmouth and is now the academic peer of Harvard. Folks in Somerville must be doing mad work on Instagram and the comment section of Vox to have so considerably raised Tuft's rep among the basement-dwellers.

Apparently Tufts is the safety school for ultra-rich Chinese who don't have quite the political connections to impress Harvard's admissions. Tufts must have some pleasing chinese character in Mandarin or something.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:17 am

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:Hate to sound like I am delivering news from Houston (this actually happened), but I wouldn't worry about Wyatt Ray. Brother bumped into his mom wearing a BC sweatshirt down in Florida and had a quick chat about BC with her. Seems solid.

This is right up there with the time I was in Fayetteville, NC (Landry's hometown and not a place with anything resembling a BC pipeline for football players or regular students) around the time Landry was supposedly wavering and drove past a middle-aged black woman with a gigantic BC decal on the back of her car, so large it didn't fit on the rear windshield and wrapped down onto the trunk itself. Honked and gave her a thumbs up (was very tempted to take both hands off the wheel to give the Eagle hand symbol), and at that point I knew we had nothing to worry about

and people say we're a cesspool of hate :shrug
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby 31southst on Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:03 am

According to EA, Wyatt Ray is no longer looking around. Ray admitted leaning towards flipping at one point but now says he's definitely coming to BC. Good job by the staff re-recruiting him here as the DL would be in even worse shape without him.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:26 am

31southst {l Wrote}:According to EA, Wyatt Ray is no longer looking around. Ray admitted leaning towards flipping at one point but now says he's definitely coming to BC. Good job by the staff re-recruiting him here as the DL would be in even worse shape without him.

Absolutely huge need. Glad we retained him. I still think that missing out on Wilkins was a gut shot to this class. It could have been lessened if we landed another DT like Crawford. But, to miss out on Wilkins (who would have played significant minutes next year) and not replace him... well... that is simply a poor job by the staff to put all their eggs in one basket (which is a strategy that has NEVER worked for BC even though TOB/Jags/Spaz often employed it). I occasionally heard a rumbling that we were trying to flip someone, those died down and it seems highly unlikely something would happen in the last week.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 31southst on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:42 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:According to EA, Wyatt Ray is no longer looking around. Ray admitted leaning towards flipping at one point but now says he's definitely coming to BC. Good job by the staff re-recruiting him here as the DL would be in even worse shape without him.

Absolutely huge need. Glad we retained him. I still think that missing out on Wilkins was a gut shot to this class. It could have been lessened if we landed another DT like Crawford. But, to miss out on Wilkins (who would have played significant minutes next year) and not replace him... well... that is simply a poor job by the staff to put all their eggs in one basket (which is a strategy that has NEVER worked for BC even though TOB/Jags/Spaz often employed it). I occasionally heard a rumbling that we were trying to flip someone, those died down and it seems highly unlikely something would happen in the last week.

I think the class is below average but not awful - as has been said, it's ok with depth but no real difference makers. The bigger issue I see with missing on Wilkins is I cannot see how we'd have a better opportunity with a blue chip guy barring a connection to the school (like Toal). Addazio's strength was supposed to be recruiting and it's been decent in terms of building depth, but I think we need a handful of high end talent every class to make the jump from playing Clemson/FSU close to beating them.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:45 am

Below average compared to what? If it is the average of the last 6 years, it is well above average. If it is the average of the last 10-15 years, it looks pretty normal to me. It is not as good as last year's class because there are no headliners (which is a miss on the staff's part) and because it is intentionally O-Line heavy.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 31southst on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:52 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Below average compared to what? If it is the average of the last 6 years, it is well above average. If it is the average of the last 10-15 years, it looks pretty normal to me. It is not as good as last year's class because there are no headliners (which is a miss on the staff's part) and because it is intentionally O-Line heavy.

Below average of the past decade excluding Spaz's last two years (which aren't a fair comparison for any Power Five school). Maybe it's average but I don't see how you can call it well above average, which is disappointing given Addazio's supposed strength as a recruiter and the fact that there is positive momentum around the team as a whole.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:56 am

31southst {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Below average compared to what? If it is the average of the last 6 years, it is well above average. If it is the average of the last 10-15 years, it looks pretty normal to me. It is not as good as last year's class because there are no headliners (which is a miss on the staff's part) and because it is intentionally O-Line heavy.

Below average of the past decade excluding Spaz's last two years (which aren't a fair comparison for any Power Five school). Maybe it's average but I don't see how you can call it well above average, which is disappointing given Addazio's supposed strength as a recruiter and the fact that there is positive momentum around the team as a whole.

It's well above average compared to almost any Spaz class, that was the point. Looks pretty comparable to all but a few of TOB's classes, one of Jags' and last years' class. Those classes were defined by headliners, the Toals, the Callenders, the Josh Hadens, the Jon Hillimans. The rest of the classes look pretty similar to this one.

Like I said, heavy o-line and misses on the 3-4 premier guys you target, and the class becomes average quickly.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 31southst on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:06 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

It's well above average compared to almost any Spaz class, that was the point. Looks pretty comparable to all but a few of TOB's classes, one of Jags' and last years' class. Those classes were defined by headliners, the Toals, the Callenders, the Josh Hadens, the Jon Hillimans. The rest of the classes look pretty similar to this one.

Like I said, heavy o-line and misses on the 3-4 premier guys you target, and the class becomes average quickly.

I guess I don't disagree overall but I think you're writing off missing the 3-4 top end guys we should be getting each year (and that we did in fact get last year coming off of a 2-10 season) too lightly. Said another way, I think this class is worse than Addazio's first despite having much more to sell, which is disappointing.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:25 am

31southst {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

I guess I don't disagree overall but I think you're writing off missing the 3-4 top end guys we should be getting each year (and that we did in fact get last year coming off of a 2-10 season) too lightly. Said another way, I think this class is worse than Addazio's first despite having much more to sell, which is disappointing.

I think he was targeting things in this class that don't lend themselves to star rankings. He needed to fill out the roster and rebuild the line. He needed to take another shot at finding some playmakers in the secondary and at WR, two positions none of those coaches landed highly regarded recruits.

Wilkins was a huge loss, but other than that, this class doesn't bother me and got done what they needed to get done.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:26 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

I think he was targeting things in this class that don't lend themselves to star rankings. He needed to fill out the roster and rebuild the line. He needed to take another shot at finding some playmakers in the secondary and at WR, two positions none of those coaches landed highly regarded recruits.

Wilkins was a huge loss, but other than that, this class doesn't bother me and got done what they needed to get done.

This class is an average TOB class... which is perfectly fine for BC (just not great like last year's). With regard to Wilkins... I get that he was a MASSIVE miss due to his talent and position (and the fact that he is from New England). But, I don't get why eppy "cannot see how we'd have a better opportunity with a blue chip guy barring a connection to the school"? Based on his ultimate choice (with the other finalists being tOSU and Pats State), I don't know how real his desire for a top education really was. Folks ate up the fact that he didn't play the recruiting game like that crappy TE from Conn. While refreshing... and while he always came across well in interviews, I think that BC is a very, very different place than his other finalists... which makes me question the genuineness of his interest.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:03 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

I think the lack of obvious early playing time at RB, QB and LB is a negative in year two and needs to be factored in as opposed to just comparing 2-10 with 6-6 in a vacuum. I also think this class gets dinged by Gowins treatment on paper, perhaps justifiably perhaps not.

RB should be a consistent punch above weight position at BC especially in light of the Andre Williams Heisman invite, the obscene numbers etc. I think it is the position where a Hilliman type (huge offers and many stars) recruit will most often be found. By accepting a commitment from Gowins, a no offer 2 star in early April, and deciding to close out the RB class with one, which may have been a mistake or may have been genius, this class ends up without one obvious "top end guy" on paper. Similarly, OL recruits shutting down recruiting early probably means no possibility of a late star addition or crazy offers. Apparently John Philips was like 6'6 240 when he committed and is now like 10'2 800 pounds, but he hasn't been open to recruiting so he remains a no offer two star.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:16 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

I think the lack of obvious early playing time at RB, QB and LB is a negative in year two and needs to be factored in as opposed to just comparing 2-10 with 6-6 in a vacuum. I also think this class gets dinged by Gowins treatment on paper, perhaps justifiably perhaps not.

RB should be a consistent punch above weight position at BC especially in light of the Andre Williams Heisman invite, the obscene numbers etc. I think it is the position where a Hilliman type (huge offers and many stars) recruit will most often be found. By accepting a commitment from Gowins, a no offer 2 star in early April, and deciding to close out the RB class with one, which may have been a mistake or may have been genius, this class ends up without one obvious "top end guy" on paper. Similarly, OL recruits shutting down recruiting early probably means no possibility of a late star addition or crazy offers. Apparently John Philips was like 6'6 240 when he committed and is now like 10'2 800 pounds, but he hasn't been open to recruiting so he remains a no offer two star.

I hate when we agree
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:19 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

I hate when we agree

Yeah, I'm kind of all over the place here.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:34 pm

The type of lineman BC is targeting is not going to grade well by recruiting services.

BC is looking for lighter lineman with great quick athleticism. (Lindstrom, Phillips, etc.). They can redshirt them and get them to put on good weight. Since we pull guards, etc. all the time it should work ok
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:11 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:The type of lineman BC is targeting is not going to grade well by recruiting services.

BC is looking for lighter lineman with great quick athleticism. (Lindstrom, Phillips, etc.). They can redshirt them and get them to put on good weight. Since we pull guards, etc. all the time it should work ok

Other than the 3-4 freaks every year, no lineman grade out well. It just doesn't translate. 6'7'' 280 pound kid better be mauling people n HS whether he knows how to block or not.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:56 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Pats State.

:kudos
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:00 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

I blew your icon up because it was too small

twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hinghameagle on Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:57 pm

Maybe a weird opinion here, but should we start looking at BC's classes in a different way than most schools look at theirs. For instance if BC had the choice of adding say Julio Jones to this roster or whoever is the best left tackle or guard, most schools and most recruiting sites would go for Jones ten times out of ten. For BC, a team with a qb who wasn't accurate, Jones would have been wasted, but the way BC plays, a phenomenal offensive lineman would have made a huge difference. Should offensive lineman be to BC, what skill players are to other schools. The "playmakers" in our class. Our receivers are put on the field to block, and on occasion to catch a pass. What good does a 4.3 speed guy do in our offense if he is 165 pounds and cant block. He isn't going to see the field, and the type of offense BC runs isn't going to be attractive to that type of recruit. Bc will value the in line tight ends, more than the new hybrid WR/TE's. Tight ends who catch passes and can run are always more highly rated than blocking tight ends.

The way historically Bc has used their Cb's and safeties is less on speed and more on positioning and solid tackling. I don't care for it, but Bc will give you the 8 yard outs all day, they just don't want to give you the 25 yard completions. Cb's who don't run exceptionally fast are not going to get ranked well.

This may sound like I am giving Dazz an out, and I am not. Bc needs upgrades at almost all positions across the board, and their inability to land high end DT, or pass rusher(Wyatt?) is a concern.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:00 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

This.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:10 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}:Maybe a weird opinion here, but should we start looking at BC's classes in a different way than most schools look at theirs. For instance if BC had the choice of adding say Julio Jones to this roster or whoever is the best left tackle or guard, most schools and most recruiting sites would go for Jones ten times out of ten. For BC, a team with a qb who wasn't accurate, Jones would have been wasted, but the way BC plays, a phenomenal offensive lineman would have made a huge difference. Should offensive lineman be to BC, what skill players are to other schools. The "playmakers" in our class. Our receivers are put on the field to block, and on occasion to catch a pass. What good does a 4.3 speed guy do in our offense if he is 165 pounds and cant block. He isn't going to see the field, and the type of offense BC runs isn't going to be attractive to that type of recruit. Bc will value the in line tight ends, more than the new hybrid WR/TE's. Tight ends who catch passes and can run are always more highly rated than blocking tight ends.

The way historically Bc has used their Cb's and safeties is less on speed and more on positioning and solid tackling. I don't care for it, but Bc will give you the 8 yard outs all day, they just don't want to give you the 25 yard completions. Cb's who don't run exceptionally fast are not going to get ranked well.

This may sound like I am giving Dazz an out, and I am not. Bc needs upgrades at almost all positions across the board, and their inability to land high end DT, or pass rusher(Wyatt?) is a concern.

Daz wants to throw more and this type of receiver would find time so long as we have a QB who can throw (hopefully wade). I believe that the OL's we had at WR last year were due to coaching a scheme to work around a dearth of talent rather than Daz implementing his ideal scheme 100%.

Yes. Wade is not the athlete Murphy was but looks to have a better arm. BC wants to be able to throw.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:32 pm

the important question is whether wade can catch a pass from a tight end with the game on the line or not

THIS IS IMPORTANT
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:40 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:the important question is whether wade can catch a pass from a tight end with the game on the line or not

THIS IS IMPORTANT

The dipshit that called that is gone.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:21 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:I noticed today that Vanderbilt lost Jackson Perry, a 3* DT recruit...to Dartmouth. We still need help on the DLine? Is there an opportunity here if the kid wants a great education while playing football in Mass?

So he should be looking at Harvard..... or Tufts then. If he flipped from Vandy to Dartmouth, BC is not on his radar and most likely due to academics.

So... I guess for Millennials... Tufts has risen above Dartmouth and is now the academic peer of Harvard. Folks in Somerville must be doing mad work on Instagram and the comment section of Vox to have so considerably raised Tuft's rep among the basement-dwellers.

Not above dartmouth but damn near equal footing. Harvard is still number 1 though!

http://admissions.tufts.edu/apply/accep ... t-profile/

It's all about the benjamins, baby.

Tufts endowment (2013) 1.44 biillion
BC endowment (2013) 1.8 billion (41st)

source. ibpedia
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:25 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}:Maybe a weird opinion here, but should we start looking at BC's classes in a different way than most schools look at theirs. For instance if BC had the choice of adding say Julio Jones to this roster or whoever is the best left tackle or guard, most schools and most recruiting sites would go for Jones ten times out of ten. For BC, a team with a qb who wasn't accurate, Jones would have been wasted, but the way BC plays, a phenomenal offensive lineman would have made a huge difference. Should offensive lineman be to BC, what skill players are to other schools. The "playmakers" in our class. Our receivers are put on the field to block, and on occasion to catch a pass. What good does a 4.3 speed guy do in our offense if he is 165 pounds and cant block. He isn't going to see the field, and the type of offense BC runs isn't going to be attractive to that type of recruit. Bc will value the in line tight ends, more than the new hybrid WR/TE's. Tight ends who catch passes and can run are always more highly rated than blocking tight ends.

Daz wants to throw more and this type of receiver would find time so long as we have a QB who can throw (hopefully wade). I believe that the OL's we had at WR last year were due to coaching a scheme to work around a dearth of talent rather than Daz implementing his ideal scheme 100%.

Yes. Wade is not the athlete Murphy was but looks to have a better arm. BC wants to be able to throw.

this

from the few passes I've seen Wade throw, he's looked really good
he threw a tight ball to a WR on the pylon to the correct shoulder over 25 yards during one of our games... not bad for a freshman
i think Wade is going to be a baller for BC over the next three years...
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:08 pm

wade may not be the athlete murphy was, but i do hope that he can escape the pocket when he needs to.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:07 pm

HJS, you seem to be pretty plugged into the North Jersey scene, what have you heard about this kid from Montclair Josh Allen. Are their academic issues that would keep BC away ? DL is obvi a major position of need and you would think theyre would be some kind of remote interest being that it is the same school as Robinson and Stevens (from last year) as well as the fact that they whiffed on Wilkins (albeit different positions DT vs DE).

He just received offer from Kentucky

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/1649889543250010251/montclair-defensive-end-joshua-allen-earns-kentucky-offer-will-take-official-visit-this-weekend/

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Josh-Allen-167264
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:39 pm

I know next to nothing about him. Apparently, he just moved North from Alabama. Daz knows the coaches at Montclair. I believe the coach spoke glowingly about BC when Robinson signed his Scholarship before coming to campus. As such, I'm sure the staff is aware of him. Why haven't we offered? Academics is probably as good a guess as any,
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Bunratty on Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:48 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

Not above dartmouth but damn near equal footing. Harvard is still number 1 though!

http://admissions.tufts.edu/apply/accep ... t-profile/

It's all about the benjamins, baby.

Tufts endowment (2013) 1.44 biillion
BC endowment (2013) 1.8 billion (41st)

source. ibpedia

Endowment per student is a better stat than endowment. Harvard 1.3 million, Tufts 94K, Boston College 87 K, Culinary Institute of America 15K, Rutgers 15K

http://www.ordoludus.com/quality.php

FWIW, that data is almost 9 years old (2006)
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:01 pm

zach allen is a nice get for adaziani
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium