2015 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2015 Recruiting Thread

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:51 pm

Someone should link to a "meaty" Wilkins to PSU rumor on their board
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:27 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:Reports out of Houston on EA say Wilkins will decide tomorrow and that rumors sound promising (although nothing concrete/definite). This is from a random poster so it's very much take it FWIW.

Only his 58th post. Hope he knows something. Says a female adult told him that Wilkins will announce tomorrow and from what he has heard, he is optimistic.
Last edited by DomingoOrtiz on Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:31 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:Someone should link to a "meaty" Wilkins to PSU rumor on their board

No chance he's picking BC. Believe it is a 2 horse race between PSU and OSU. Heard from one of the RU guys and he was told PSU.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:06 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:Someone should link to a "meaty" Wilkins to PSU rumor on their board

No chance he's picking BC. Believe it is a 2 horse race between PSU and OSU. Heard from one of the RU guys and he was told PSU.

OSU people don't think it's them. To me it's BC or PSU. Same thought seems to be the consensus on the PSU side. Would not be surprised at all of it's BC but same for PSU. I'd still give OSU a chance too but smaller. I'd be really surprised at Clemson or Stanford.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby Brooklyneagle on Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:52 pm

If he wants a prestigious degree, he could pick only Stanford or BC.
Brooklyneagle
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:19 pm

Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:If he wants a prestigious degree, he could pick only Stanford or BC.

Of course (add ND, NW, Vandy and Duke to that as well). But, unfortunately, that's not the way these things work.

However, since there is a near consensus on Ped State and literally no one predicting BC (heck ESPN has dropped us from the running). While there is never a shortage of folks predicting a recruit "shocking the proverbial world" and making a surprise pick... it pretty much never happens.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:50 pm

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

OSU people don't think it's them. To me it's BC or PSU. Same thought seems to be the consensus on the PSU side. Would not be surprised at all of it's BC but same for PSU. I'd still give OSU a chance too but smaller. I'd be really surprised at Clemson or Stanford.

I still don't understand how Penn St kills us on the recruiting trail.

BC was relevant in football most recently than Penn St
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Brooklyneagle on Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:51 pm

Agree on that list. I was comparing BC/Snodfart to tOSu, Clemson, and PSU.
Brooklyneagle
Carney Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:36 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:If he wants a prestigious degree, he could pick only Stanford or BC.

Of course (add ND, NW, Vandy and Duke to that as well). But, unfortunately, that's not the way these things work.

However, since there is a near consensus on Ped State and literally no one predicting BC (heck ESPN has dropped us from the running). While there is never a shortage of folks predicting a recruit "shocking the proverbial world" and making a surprise pick... it pretty much never happens.

The predictions mean nothing. Wilkins doesn't talk, any info is coming from coaching staffs. PSU and BC both feel they are in good spots. There's nobody on the sites with predictions that are connecting to BC. Most of those predictions are follow the leader. I'd guarantee over 90% of the predictors on 247 have never spoken to Wilkins.
As for ESPN they are a joke with recruiting. Everybody knows BC is ahead of most of the others in the top 5 it's espn appealing to the masses. Now I'm not saying he's coming to BC honestly I've got no clue but from everything I've heard it sure seems like BC or PSU barring a surprise.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:11 pm

BC and PSU could not be more different. One is located in a rural area, 107,000 seat stadium, 40,000 plus students and the other is located in one of America's best cities, 45,000 seat stadium and 9,000 undergrads. They are very different places, but PSU has a better tradition, facilities and game day atmosphere and they win the head to head recruiting battles. Wilkins could be a game changing recruit that could propel BC to Stanford level recruiting. BC has to invest in facilities immediately.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:32 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:BC and PSU could not be more different. One is located in a rural area, 107,000 seat stadium, 40,000 plus students and the other is located in one of America's best cities, 45,000 seat stadium and 9,000 undergrads. They are very different places, but PSU has a better tradition, facilities and game day atmosphere and they win the head to head recruiting battles. Wilkins could be a game changing recruit that could propel BC to Stanford level recruiting. BC has to invest in facilities immediately.

I'm glad you wrote that as it is an admission that for this (and similar) recruiting battles, facilities (or lack thereof) has no real impact.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:13 pm

While I would like to see BC recruit in football the way we recruit in hockey, if a kid wants to go to a big state university with a huge stadium, BC has no chance at getting that kid. I get upset losing recruiting battles to all of the other schools due to not having an indoor field and an upgraded stadium. Having to travel to Foxborough just to practice is a real disadvantage in recruiting against just about every school who has an indoor building. I know Adazzio wants the indoor field and hopefully they can build it as part of the new student rec building.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:While I would like to see BC recruit in football the way we recruit in hockey, if a kid wants to go to a big state university with a huge stadium, BC has no chance at getting that kid. I get upset losing recruiting battles to all of the other schools due to not having an indoor field and an upgraded stadium. Having to travel to Foxborough just to practice is a real disadvantage in recruiting against just about every school who has an indoor building. I know Adazzio wants the indoor field and hopefully they can build it as part of the new student rec building.

Certain kids handle the process differently. If they want to go to a factory, it wont matter if BC has the facilities, because at that point its more than having a field with 4 walls and a roof. Some guys love the attention, love posting shit on twitter (Chris Clark from Avon Old Farms in CT is a perfect example). The facilities upgrade is more of a "keeping up with the joneses" situation to ensure BC can ontinue to beat out the peer schools (Syracuses, VT's, Wake Forests, Northwesterns, etc) and occasionally dip into the baby rapist pools when an opportunity presents itself. I'm not saying Wilkins commits, but I think he is different than your typical Top 100 type player, and thats why BC has a shot.

In terms of facilities, the indoor complex will eventually happen, its just a matter of time/fundraising/the BS with neighbors and master plan. Ive mentioned this in the past, but why hasnt BC at least released plans of a facility ? Even if they are unsure as to location, size, amenities, just release a blueprint to show to kids. The stuff that matters in recruiting are things like an indoor facility, locker rooms, player development areas. Not upgrades to the stadium. What could BC possibly do to Alumni that makes it any more appealing to recruits? I think there are ways to make certain areas of the stadium more fan friendly/accomadating, but recruits dont care about that. Please dont try to turn this into a "close the corner with more seats" debate because that is just a stupid waste of time.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:58 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:While I would like to see BC recruit in football the way we recruit in hockey, if a kid wants to go to a big state university with a huge stadium, BC has no chance at getting that kid. I get upset losing recruiting battles to all of the other schools due to not having an indoor field and an upgraded stadium. Having to travel to Foxborough just to practice is a real disadvantage in recruiting against just about every school who has an indoor building. I know Adazzio wants the indoor field and hopefully they can build it as part of the new student rec building.

Certain kids handle the process differently. If they want to go to a factory, it wont matter if BC has the facilities, because at that point its more than having a field with 4 walls and a roof. Some guys love the attention, love posting shit on twitter (Chris Clark from Avon Old Farms in CT is a perfect example). The facilities upgrade is more of a "keeping up with the joneses" situation to ensure BC can ontinue to beat out the peer schools (Syracuses, VT's, Wake Forests, Northwesterns, etc) and occasionally dip into the baby rapist pools when an opportunity presents itself. I'm not saying Wilkins commits, but I think he is different than your typical Top 100 type player, and thats why BC has a shot.

In terms of facilities, the indoor complex will eventually happen, its just a matter of time/fundraising/the BS with neighbors and master plan. Ive mentioned this in the past, but why hasnt BC at least released plans of a facility ? Even if they are unsure as to location, size, amenities, just release a blueprint to show to kids. The stuff that matters in recruiting are things like an indoor facility, locker rooms, player development areas. Not upgrades to the stadium. What could BC possibly do to Alumni that makes it any more appealing to recruits? I think there are ways to make certain areas of the stadium more fan friendly/accomadating, but recruits dont care about that. Please dont try to turn this into a "close the corner with more seats" debate because that is just a stupid waste of time.

I think they need to put physical seats in Alumni? Short of that, the new changes look beautiful.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby AdamBC on Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:22 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Ive mentioned this in the past, but why hasnt BC at least released plans of a facility ? Even if they are unsure as to location, size, amenities, just release a blueprint to show to kids.

Like they've done with the new baseball stadium? It's sure helped move things along!
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:39 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}: dip into the baby rapist pools

I love this autocorrect
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:52 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}: dip into the baby rapist pools

I love this autocorrect

Thank you for pulling that out of all those words.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:15 pm

Clemson board says Wilkins likely to PSU: http://www.theclemsoninsider.com/mb/sho ... hp?t=43820
PSU board thinks it is them (mentions competition coming from Stanford, OSU and Clem): http://www.theclemsoninsider.com/mb/sho ... hp?t=43820
Outside of posters on BC message boards, there is no indication that Wilkins is still considering us.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:16 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:C
Outside of posters on BC message boards, there is no indication that Wilkins is still considering us.

A current BC Jr.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby 31southst on Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:25 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Clemson board says Wilkins likely to PSU: http://www.theclemsoninsider.com/mb/sho ... hp?t=43820
PSU board thinks it is them (mentions competition coming from Stanford, OSU and Clem): http://www.theclemsoninsider.com/mb/sho ... hp?t=43820

Someone on EA said the PSU rivals board had the following recent updates:

1/3: "Wilkins won defensive MVP honors at the Under Armour All-American Game on Jan. 2. There, he recorded multiple sacks and even took a blocked extra point 90+ yards for a two-point conversation. Wilkins spoke with a few reporters while in Orlando and while he didn't say much, it does appear as if he could make a decision within the next 10-14 days. Right now, we feel confident in saying that Penn State is in his top three. We have some sources that believe PSU is the favorite as well, but we'll stress that Wilkins has kept his true feelings on lockdown these past few months. Nothing will really surprise us when it comes to Wilkins, but we do believe PSU is one of his top schools."

Christmas Eve: "Wilkins is, in my opinion, Penn State's top remaining prospect and things appear to be setting up well for the Nittany Lions. However, as most of you know, he doesn't talk to anyone, so we're only able to get info from contacts associated with Penn State. Those contacts firmly believe that Penn State is in the top two or three, with some believing Penn State is the favorite. Until he opens up to anyone, that's all we can really base this on. I'll pick the Nittany Lions here, but I'm going to stress that nothing will surprise me."

I still think he ends up at PSU as that is how these things normally go but given how quiet he is I don't think him committing to BC is 100% out of the question.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby StratEagle on Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:49 pm

I see no reason to believe the pundits when they have readily claimed throughout the process that they have no idea what he's thinking. Of course when in doubt, they're going to favor the factories. While the EA guy may be posting from Houston, he says he played high school ball with Wilkins so I'll at least give him a chance to prove himself right when no one else has any credible information.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby StratEagle on Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:51 pm

Welp, twitter says Clemson it is
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:51 pm

Wilkins to Clemson.
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:52 pm

HJS {l Wrote}: Believe it is a 2 horse race between PSU and OSU. Heard from one of the RU guys and he was told PSU.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:57 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}: Believe it is a 2 horse race between PSU and OSU. Heard from one of the RU guys and he was told PSU.

So you're saying he was right about Clemson?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:13 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

before he says it.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:46 pm

with missing on Wilkins, the potential decommitment of Wyatt Ray becomes huge. The DL will be in for a major problem a year or two from now if they can't hang onto Ray (and may be in trouble regardless as I would argue it has been the position the staff has missed on the most)
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:49 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

before he says it.

Thanks for selectively quoting.
What I wrote was one statement (which you conveniently edited out... wuss) that proved to be correct. Then, I wrote my guess (which turned out to be wrong... see teddy? it's OK to admit when you are wrong). Then, I wrote a third sentence relaying what someone on Rivals had heard (the RU recruiting guys being off on a BC recruit isn't new as last year I was told (and I believe I posted) that there was "no way Outlow would hold to his BC committment"... again he thought PSU).

For those like sirius biz who keep track of these things, do we know where in the top 5 we finished?
Last edited by HJS on Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:58 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:with missing on Wilkins, the potential decommitment of Wyatt Ray becomes huge. The DL will be in for a major problem a year or two from now if they can't hang onto Ray (and may be in trouble regardless as I would argue it has been the position the staff has missed on the most)

DL recruiting has been one of the few big recruiting question marks with this staff (specifically, I feel they are too selective in their offers). As I posted last week, I think it is vital to D.Brown's system that our DLine be sound. Missing out on Ray, Crawford and Wilkins would be damn near crippling (as it would mean that we would only be bringing in 2 excellent DL prospects (Landry and Smith)). I feel like Wilkins could have masked the recruiting misses on the DL. Now that the Hail Mary failed (and to make matters worse, he will be playing for an annual opponent), they have to really figure out what they are doing wrong.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:49 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

before he says it.

Thanks for selectively quoting.
What I wrote was one statement (which you conveniently edited out... wuss) that proved to be correct. Then, I wrote my guess (which turned out to be wrong... see teddy? it's OK to admit when you are wrong). Then, I wrote a third sentence relaying what someone on Rivals had heard (the RU recruiting guys being off on a BC recruit isn't new as last year I was told (and I believe I posted) that there was "no way Outlow would hold to his BC committment"... again he thought PSU).

For those like sirius biz who keep track of these things, do we know where in the top 5 we finished?

This should go into HJS' obituary. Its too perfect :pickle

Never fails to make me chuckle.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium