2015 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2015 Recruiting Thread

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:20 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
sonof81 {l Wrote}:
BCdee {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Apparently, Junior Day will culminate with a viewing of the BC-ND basketball game. So there's that.

It looks like a packed house...well, you know, with all those ghosts there.

There are actually are more people there than I would have anticipated but they are the quietest crowd I have ever heard. We have the atmosphere of a high school field hockey game.

I hope it does not adversely impact recruiting this weekend, but having Junior Day culminate in a BC basketball game is asinine. How difficult would it have been to have been to schedule Junior Day to end with a hockey game?

It is shitty, but I'm not sure if it's asinine. 1) it's probably scheduled well ahead of time so it's unlikely they had any idea exactly how brutal basketball would be; 2) while our hockey fans are a much better representation of the school than our basketball fans, college hockey probably has a limited appeal to non-new englanders; and 3) Presidents' Day weekend is probably a good choice in the abstract. All that said it's definitely shitty.

For the same reasons it is good to bring recruits to Boston in the dead of winter, it's good to have them witness firsthand a losing effort in front of a sparse crowd.

Yes?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:28 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:2) while our hockey fans are a much better representation of the school than our basketball fans, college hockey probably has a limited appeal to non-new englanders

That could almost be spun as a positive though--get them thinking "wow, if these fans get this fired up for hockey, they must LOVE this school", etc etc
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:34 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:2) while our hockey fans are a much better representation of the school than our basketball fans, college hockey probably has a limited appeal to non-new englanders

That could almost be spun as a positive though--get them thinking "wow, if these fans get this fired up for hockey, they must LOVE this school", etc etc

Sure, and some like myles Willis will end up liking the sport, but I think it's safe to say the sport of basketball has a wide appeal absent the hideous way doñahues team plays it.

I wonder which sport addazio would have picked if there was a hockey game tonight or last night(there wasn't right?). I assume prez weekend and the Monday off are factor one and the rest goes from there.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:58 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:doñahues

WTF is that?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:11 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:doñahues

WTF is that?

Descendant of an armada survivor?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:37 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:

Sure, and some like myles Willis will end up liking the sport, but I think it's safe to say the sport of basketball has a wide appeal absent the hideous way doñahues team plays it.

I wonder which sport addazio would have picked if there was a hockey game tonight or last night(there wasn't right?). I assume prez weekend and the Monday off are factor one and the rest goes from there.

Hockey team was at Vermont this weekend. Would've been nice if they were both in town over the weekend, which occasionally happens (usually hockey Friday and basketball Saturday). Agree that the long weekend made this ideal absent other factors.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:52 pm

Recruits from my experience care about three things on a recruiting trip (in no particular order):

1) getting drunk
2) hooking up
3) meeting the team, talking to the coaches, and seeing the campus

I doubt watching the hockey/basketball team has any effect on their decision to come to the school.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:11 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Recruits from my experience care about three things on a recruiting trip (in no particular order):

1) getting drunk
2) hooking up
3) meeting the team, talking to the coaches, and seeing the campus

I doubt watching the hockey/basketball team has any effect on their decision to come to the school.

Sadly I agree with Hansen
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:39 pm

Was there any info on TOS about offers made or potential commitments today ?

I was able to find something on twitter suggesting Mike Cummings, a DB from NJ possibly commited today, but I'm not 100% and can't find much info on him online (what I could find would suggest he is a classic goldilock spaz recruit).
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:18 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Was there any info on TOS about offers made or potential commitments today ?

I was able to find something on twitter suggesting Mike Cummings, a DB from NJ possibly commited today, but I'm not 100% and can't find much info on him online (what I could find would suggest he is a classic goldilock spaz recruit).

It's too early in the recruiting cycle to state that. What high school does he attend?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:11 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Was there any info on TOS about offers made or potential commitments today ?

It's too early in the recruiting cycle to state that. What high school does he attend?

I think New Brunswick High School, but there is really little to no info on him so I can't be positive
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:21 am

That was a joke he was a friend of a recruit from VA, don't think the Cummings kid even plays football.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:39 am

So the combination of bitter cold, snow, ice and basketball game (which by definition means a loss in front of an empty arena) resulted in not a single verbal???? I guess it's a good thing in the long run. I mean, if they are more impressed by the best-foot-forward presentations other school put forward instead of the unvarnished look at life at BC in the dead of winter, they probably aren't the right "fit" for the program.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:45 am

Just to be clear hes a bad recruiter this weekend? HJS agendas can be confusing.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:17 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Just to be clear hes a bad recruiter this weekend? HJS agendas can be confusing.

which steve is the bad recruiter this weekend?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:40 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Just to be clear hes a bad recruiter this weekend? HJS agendas can be confusing.

which steve is the bad recruiter this weekend?

Not Steve Hale.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/full-ho ... 201098546/
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby BCStevenHale on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:10 am

Thanks for the free advertising, angrychicken. The only problem is that I have been trying to keep this quiet because The Neighbors is a horribly bad show. Yes, it is worse than Full House. I guess the other problem is that DJ's so-called husband wants to try to get me involved in a three-way, but the third participant is one of his former teammates rather than my former Full House girlfriend.
If I knew then what I know now, I would have gone after Stephanie Tanner
BCStevenHale
n00b

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:46 pm

Junior Day offer to John Moten (5'11, 175 lb RB from St Louis).

Mizzou, Northwestern & Illinois offers so far, originally from Connecticut, played at Fairfield Prep (same school as current commit Anthony Palazollo) thru his sophomore year.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:46 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:So the combination of bitter cold, snow, ice and basketball game (which by definition means a loss in front of an empty arena) resulted in not a single verbal???? I guess it's a good thing in the long run. I mean, if they are more impressed by the best-foot-forward presentations other school put forward instead of the unvarnished look at life at BC in the dead of winter, they probably aren't the right "fit" for the program.

Can't say I'm surprised a lot of commitments generally start in April around spring games. Last year we had Outlow in February, Landry in March then a bunch started committing in April. From all indications things went really well yesterday.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby 31southst on Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:23 pm

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:So the combination of bitter cold, snow, ice and basketball game (which by definition means a loss in front of an empty arena) resulted in not a single verbal???? I guess it's a good thing in the long run. I mean, if they are more impressed by the best-foot-forward presentations other school put forward instead of the unvarnished look at life at BC in the dead of winter, they probably aren't the right "fit" for the program.

Can't say I'm surprised a lot of commitments generally start in April around spring games. Last year we had Outlow in February, Landry in March then a bunch started committing in April. From all indications things went really well yesterday.

Last year was understandable but the staff has a better product to sell this year and a year plus recruiting these guys. I know we're never going to be a factory with a ton of commits on junior days, but I think it's disappointing we didn't get at least one.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby Bunratty on Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:42 pm

Last year Daz did a great job of selling early playing time; but it was a very easy sell. Let's see how well he can sell something other than that (although there is still early playing time available, just not as abundant and obvious as last year).
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby Casey on Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:20 pm

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:

Obviously the weather is bad, but Winter Storm Rex is making life miserable across the entire Midwest, Northeast, and even the mid-Atlantic. So these guys are coming from and going back home to freezing temps, snow & ice. That's a little easier to digest. The key is to get them back to the Spring Game in April, and hope for a warm festive weekend, where the coeds feel like shedding some clothes.
Casey
Carney Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:40 pm

Casey {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:

Obviously the weather is bad, but Winter Storm Rex is making life miserable across the entire Midwest, Northeast, and even the mid-Atlantic. So these guys are coming from and going back home to freezing temps, snow & ice. That's a little easier to digest. The key is to get them back to the Spring Game in April, and hope for a warm festive weekend, where the coeds feel like shedding some clothes.

I think the bigger issue is being relevant in relation to other programs. If Penn State for instance has their day this weekend and BC waits for the weather to get better, its puts a ton of stress on the process and gives PSU a major head start. Obviously, travel from parts of the country can be effected due to the weather, but seriously, kids coming from the South have to be prepared to see snow in Boston in February. As was said before, get them here to see the campus/facilities now and back for the Spring Game (which I agree should be held as late as possible in the spring) is the best strategy. Its stupid to even argue this since the severity of storms is impossible to predict when planning dates for an event like this.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby UK Eagle on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:56 pm

According to his twitter, BC has offered 4* DB Dechaun Holiday. Offered by Cal and Colorado already.
UK Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby myles kennefick on Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:22 am

[/quote]

I think the bigger issue is being relevant in relation to other programs. If Penn State for instance has their day this weekend and BC waits for the weather to get better, its puts a ton of stress on the process and gives PSU a major head start. Obviously, travel from parts of the country can be effected due to the weather, but seriously, kids coming from the South have to be prepared to see snow in Boston in February. As was said before, get them here to see the campus/facilities now and back for the Spring Game (which I agree should be held as late as possible in the spring) is the best strategy. Its stupid to even argue this since the severity of storms is impossible to predict when planning dates for an event like this.[/quote]

I agree. Case in point, Jon Holland, a DE from Maryland, had visited Pitt prior to this weekend and named them his favorite (apparently considered committing). He went to the BC junior day, had a great time (https://twitter.com/JonHolland_COO/status/435109792345243648/photo/1), and now has BC and Pitt as his two favorites. Had BC waited to host their junior day until the weather was warm, that would have been months with Pitt at the top and BC still a relative unknown.

Also, fwiw, at least one southern prospect enjoyed the BC junior day:
Riley Gessner ‏@el_grande83 Feb 16
Boston College visit was A1
myles kennefick
n00b

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:59 am

myles kennefick {l Wrote}:I agree. Case in point, Jon Holland, a DE from Maryland, had visited Pitt prior to this weekend and named them his favorite (apparently considered committing). He went to the BC junior day, had a great time (https://twitter.com/JonHolland_COO/status/435109792345243648/photo/1), and now has BC and Pitt as his two favorites. Had BC waited to host their junior day until the weather was warm, that would have been months with Pitt at the top and BC still a relative unknown.

I don't like our chances with Holland.
https://twitter.com/BCEagle1974/status/ ... 0377022465
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:42 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
myles kennefick {l Wrote}:I agree. Case in point, Jon Holland, a DE from Maryland, had visited Pitt prior to this weekend and named them his favorite (apparently considered committing). He went to the BC junior day, had a great time (https://twitter.com/JonHolland_COO/status/435109792345243648/photo/1), and now has BC and Pitt as his two favorites. Had BC waited to host their junior day until the weather was warm, that would have been months with Pitt at the top and BC still a relative unknown.

I don't like our chances with Holland.
https://twitter.com/BCEagle1974/status/ ... 0377022465

:dildodog
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:17 pm

PSU just flipped Rutgers recruit Saquon Barkley. I think PSU filling up early is a decent turn of events for us if it happens.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Casey on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:08 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:PSU just flipped Rutgers recruit Saquon Barkley. I think PSU filling up early is a decent turn of events for us if it happens.

Assuming the NCAA doesn't repeal/mitigate the penalties, how many open spots does PSU realistically have? I assume the new coach will pull out all the stops to push out the injured/non-performers, but I have to think PSU is still capped under 20, probably around 15-17, no?
Casey
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:24 am

Casey {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:PSU just flipped Rutgers recruit Saquon Barkley. I think PSU filling up early is a decent turn of events for us if it happens.

Assuming the NCAA doesn't repeal/mitigate the penalties, how many open spots does PSU realistically have? I assume the new coach will pull out all the stops to push out the injured/non-performers, but I have to think PSU is still capped under 20, probably around 15-17, no?

I think they are back at full scholarships.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium