2015 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2015 Recruiting Thread

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:41 am

Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}:HJS: the flameout rate for these coaches is too high. Especially when you consider that BC has historically paid under market rate for coaches, losing Dazz and hoping to find a qualified successor carries an enormous risk. Remember the overwhelming majority of this board wanted Diaco before Dazz

This. Obviously, I would rather have a successful coach who then leaves as opposed to a Spaz, but when we have a good one, let's try our best to keep him.

Agree with Hingham and Militant, especially about hiring being a crapshoot for several reasons. As much as I might hate to admit it, we would probably have been better off -- financially and in terms of wins -- if we had instead kept TOB over the Jags/Spaz years. On balance.

We'd have better recruits on the team right now and wouldn't still be paying idiot bucks to Spaz. Our stinginess has been well rewarded. But it is admittedly a lesser factor than (GDF's) outright stupidity.

Obviously, there's a lot more to be said on this complex topic, but I'll leave it there.

There is NO scenario in which I would trade to have that piece of shit mediocre coach TOB back, especially not at the expense of the Jags years. Fuck that noise.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:50 am

Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}:HJS: the flameout rate for these coaches is too high. Especially when you consider that BC has historically paid under market rate for coaches, losing Dazz and hoping to find a qualified successor carries an enormous risk. Remember the overwhelming majority of this board wanted Diaco before Dazz

This. Obviously, I would rather have a successful coach who then leaves as opposed to a Spaz, but when we have a good one, let's try our best to keep him.

Agree with Hingham and Militant, especially about hiring being a crapshoot for several reasons. As much as I might hate to admit it, we would probably have been better off -- financially and in terms of wins -- if we had instead kept TOB over the Jags/Spaz years. On balance.

We'd have better recruits on the team right now and wouldn't still be paying idiot bucks to Spaz. Our stinginess has been well rewarded. But it is admittedly a lesser factor than (GDF's) outright stupidity.

Obviously, there's a lot more to be said on this complex topic, but I'll leave it there.

I think quite the opposite. Louisville (which has been a revolving door of coaches) has shown that a competent AD can make stream coaches and have its program compete at an elite level. While I agree BC would have been in a better position when Daz took over if we kept TOB over the Jags/Spaz years... BC would have been in even a BETTER position if they simply didn't fire Jags (or hire Spaz as the replacement). The only problem with the Jags/Spaz years was Spaz (that and compounding the problem by giving him an extension and letting him coach 4 years).

hansen {l Wrote}:I actually think Daz could be a once in a lifetime guy for this school... in his second year, which most thought was going to be an absolute disaster, he has us at 4-2 well on our way to another bowl game. i honestly feel right now like we can beat anyone in the conference on any given saturday with FSU being the exception. as we continue to add more of his players into the system, we will be back to where we were and hopefully winning our first ACC title and more.

I'm not there yet. In Daz's second year at Temple, he started off 3-2 (including wins over UConn and USF and a almost-win against Penn State). Then... the bottom fell out of the season (where outside of a win at Army, they simply weren't competitive even with BC's all-time leading rusher putting up big numbers).

Nonetheless, at the start of the season, I looked at the schedule and this roster (especially with all the question marks on offense) and put the over/under for wins at 5. Bowl eligibility would simply be one of the great coaching performances I've seen at BC. We are 2 away from that with a very winnable game against Wake and a peer game against Cuse still to be played (we'll be underdogs against CU, FSU, UL and VT).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:55 am

What coach (since TC) did BC pay less than he was actually worth?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:08 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

I think quite the opposite. Louisville (which has been a revolving door of coaches) has shown that a competent AD can make stream coaches and have its program compete at an elite level. While I agree BC would have been in a better position when Daz took over if we kept TOB over the Jags/Spaz years... BC would have been in even a BETTER position if they simply didn't fire Jags (or hire Spaz as the replacement). The only problem with the Jags/Spaz years was Spaz (that and compounding the problem by giving him an extension and letting him coach 4 years).

hansen {l Wrote}:I actually think Daz could be a once in a lifetime guy for this school... in his second year, which most thought was going to be an absolute disaster, he has us at 4-2 well on our way to another bowl game. i honestly feel right now like we can beat anyone in the conference on any given saturday with FSU being the exception. as we continue to add more of his players into the system, we will be back to where we were and hopefully winning our first ACC title and more.

I'm not there yet. In Daz's second year at Temple, he started off 3-2 (including wins over UConn and USF and a almost-win against Penn State). Then... the bottom fell out of the season (where outside of a win at Army, they simply weren't competitive even with BC's all-time leading rusher putting up big numbers).

Nonetheless, at the start of the season, I looked at the schedule and this roster (especially with all the question marks on offense) and put the over/under for wins at 5. Bowl eligibility would simply be one of the great coaching performances I've seen at BC. We are 2 away from that with a very winnable game against Wake and a peer game against Cuse still to be played (we'll be underdogs against CU, FSU, UL and VT).

While I am basically on the same page as you, 6-6 is not one of the great coaching jobs we had seen. If he hadn't landed a 5th year senior QB, then yes, but after the Spring game we pretty much knew that this team could have a chance to hit 6 wins if the freshmen were as good as advertised. Especially with the experience returning in the interior of the line.

If he wins 7 or 8 (Wake, Cuse and one or two of VT/Ville or Clem), now you are talking one of the great coaching performances I have seen. And that includes a really bad loss to CSU.

I get what you are saying, if, after the season last year, without calculating transfers, freshmen or improvement, you said they would have won 6 games, we all would be shocked. But they did get transfers, freshmen and improvement.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hinghameagle on Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:16 am

HJS: I don't think you can compare the Louisville job with the BC job. Louisville has deep pockets for their coaching position and no academic requirements. they can overpay a coach and not worry about it. They can get the highest coach on the food chain.

BC counts its pennies. The budget is not unlimited. Academics are an issue. There are so many restrictions, real or imagined, when the BC job opens. Louisville picks the best coach, with BC you see the following all the time: Applicant must be:

1. someone with northeast ties
2. someone who can recruit within certain academic parameters
3. someone who we wont get outbid for by another school

The other thing that you mention is that a competent AD can keep a program rolling after coaching changes by hiring the right successor coaches. The assumption to this whole thread is that Bates will leave for Michigan, and Dazz will roll to FLA or Michigan(both long shots). they appear to have done a good job last time, but do you trust the BC BOT and Leahy to hire the right AD, and the right FB coach again?
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby footer20 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:19 am

Daz has been every thing we have expected on the recruiting trail, especially last year, and the in-game coaching has been decent but better than expected for sure. What he REALLY has done more than anything is maximize the potential of his players. In today's day and age, coaches need to adhere to players. Spaz was just a lazy D-bag to all of them. Addazio obviously has built relationships with these kids, and in only a year and a half has gotten more out of guys like Andre Williams, Ian White, Manny Asprilla, Josh Bordner, and Kasim Edebali than any of us could have ever imagined. I think we all agreed that Andre had extreme talent but Daz's success in nurturing the O-line and getting back to BC football in order to maximize his potential will pay dividends for years to come (see Jonathan Hilliman). I think he was a lot more work to do but I hope he's coaching here for the next ten years.
footer20
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:34 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I get what you are saying, if, after the season last year, without calculating transfers, freshmen or improvement, you said they would have won 6 games, we all would be shocked. But they did get transfers, freshmen and improvement.

Every program gets freshman and a chance for existing players to improve. The coaching staff deserves credit if they are actually able to turn that into something. As for the two transfers... Silberman has been a nice addition. But, he hasn't dominated and but-for the injuries to Harris Williams and Vardaro, I don't think there would be any material difference in line play if we didn't have him. Murphy, on the other hand, has literally been a game-changer. However, I don't think anyone (not even the coaching staff) had an idea of his range of capabilities (or his limitations). To further the point, after the Pitt game, Daz sounded genuinely surprised at how little success we had throwing the ball. He made comments about how they have been able to throw the ball effectively in practice (and all through Summer workouts). [insert Don Brown making Murphy look like Matty Ice here]. As such, the offense has been a constant work-in-progress: trying to find roles for the frosh (Outlow, Hilliman and Alston); getting the right amount of reps for Rouse and Willis; finding what we can and can't do in the passing game; mixing in zone reads; working the edges; staying true to the power game. These are all things that they still are essentially working on. Furthermore, each involves adjustments among the OLine... which considering the injuries... it is pretty effing incredible that they have been able to seemlessly block for all these different formations and styles (again MAJOR props to Frye).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:41 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I get what you are saying, if, after the season last year, without calculating transfers, freshmen or improvement, you said they would have won 6 games, we all would be shocked. But they did get transfers, freshmen and improvement.

Every program gets freshman and a chance for existing players to improve. The coaching staff deserves credit if they are actually able to turn that into something. As for the two transfers... Silberman has been a nice addition. But, he hasn't dominated and but-for the injuries to Harris Williams and Vardaro, I don't think there would be any material difference in line play if we didn't have him. Murphy, on the other hand, has literally been a game-changer. However, I don't think anyone (not even the coaching staff) had an idea of his range of capabilities (or his limitations). To further the point, after the Pitt game, Daz sounded genuinely surprised at how little success we had throwing the ball. He made comments about how they have been able to throw the ball effectively in practice (and all through Summer workouts). [insert Don Brown making Murphy look like Matty Ice here]. As such, the offense has been a constant work-in-progress: trying to find roles for the frosh (Outlow, Hilliman and Alston); getting the right amount of reps for Rouse and Willis; finding what we can and can't do in the passing game; mixing in zone reads; working the edges; staying true to the power game. These are all things that they still are essentially working on. Furthermore, each involves adjustments among the OLine... which considering the injuries... it is pretty effing incredible that they have been able to seemlessly block for all these different formations and styles (again MAJOR props to Frye).

There were 4 transfers, all four of whom have played significant minutes.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:51 am

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:HJS: I don't think you can compare the Louisville job with the BC job. Louisville has deep pockets for their coaching position and no academic requirements. they can overpay a coach and not worry about it. They can get the highest coach on the food chain.

This is nonsense. Louisville wasn't always a high paying job. They didn't pay a washed-up Howard Schellenberger anything. Ron Cooper came from Eastern Michigan. John L. Smith came from Utah State. He did well (cheaply) and was gone after 4 years. They then hired the offensive coordinator at Auburn (again... another cheap move). Only when Bobby started winning and started garnering interest from bigger jobs (and only when UL started making moves to join the Big East) did UL start increasing their payouts. Even then... when Petrino left, they replaced him with Krags (I guy who would have preferred to come to BC and we passed on when we hired Jags). And... after Krags proved he wasn't the answer, they fired him after 3 seasons. To re-build, they turned to Charlie Strong for only $1.5mm per.

I'd further like to point out that UL did all this in spite of their conference affiliation (CUSA, depleted Big East) and the revenues that go with.

Jurich is a GREAT athletic director and erroneously claiming that he has deeper pockets takes away from his considerable accomplishments. What it shows... is that... regardless of money... a competent AD can more often than not find excellent coaches to lead a program. The challenge for a school is... and will always be... finding a competent AD. ADs tend to be failed jocks who are more adept at sales and organizational politics than they are actually running stuff.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle216 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:53 pm

I expected the team to do fairly well this year. Unlike others on this board, I don't automatically assume that when a team loses a lot of seniors, and needs to play a lot of freshman, that the team will take a step back. Freshman, if talented, can play very well immediately. They are coming to campus ready to play. I think its obvious that Daz has brought in, and will continue to bring in, classes that are more talented than what Spaz brought in. As each Spaz class leaves, and is replaced by a Daz class, the team gets more talented. Its that simple. This years team is simply more talented than last year's team.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:02 pm

Michigan and Florida are never hiring Daz. Maybe Illinois makes a run at him, but I don't think he's going anywhere now.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:07 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Michigan and Florida are never hiring Daz. Maybe Illinois makes a run at him, but I don't think he's going anywhere now.

Illinois had Zook, I doubt they go after another Florida guy. They will go after a big name and pay him whatever it takes.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:23 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Michigan and Florida are never hiring Daz. Maybe Illinois makes a run at him, but I don't think he's going anywhere now.

Illinois had Zook, I doubt they go after another Florida guy. They will go after a big name and pay him whatever it takes.

What is your basis for thinking this? Illinois has never done that before.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby StratEagle on Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:26 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Lateral move at best. Daz is not leaving for freakin' Illinois.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:28 pm

Shit Michigan is a lateral move right now. That conference is an abomination.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:39 pm

I cant believe people actually have conversations about this stuff, especially during a time of the year when theres actual stuff to talk about
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:03 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

I went to Illinois for grad school so I know a little bit here and there about Illini sports. Wealthy alums/donors are sick and tired of losing to the likes of Purdue and Northwestern every year.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:14 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

I went to Illinois for grad school so I know a little bit here and there about Illini sports. Wealthy alums/donors are sick and tired of losing to the likes of Purdue and Northwestern every year.

It's odd they've never had much success in football. You would think they could be on par with Wisconsin and Michigan St.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Boston College 8 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:51 pm

saw something on rivals today that said wilkins is a "virtual lock" to Penn State. that annoys me that they are the one team beating us out on all our recruits.

any chance we can still get a 4 star or espn300 player in this class before its over
Boston College 8
n00b

Postby h2o on Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:00 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:I cant believe people actually have conversations about this stuff, especially during a time of the year when theres actual stuff to talk about

It's actually a good thing we're having this kind of banter because it means Daz is moving this thing in the right direction and a lot faster than any of us thought possible. He's been able to stomp out the dumpster fire Greasy and Fuckface left behind in short order. That is impressive. Now if he could just get Outlow in to the mix more...
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby QuailMan on Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:58 pm

Boston College 8 {l Wrote}:saw something on rivals today that said wilkins is a "virtual lock" to Penn State. that annoys me that they are the one team beating us out on all our recruits.

any chance we can still get a 4 star or espn300 player in this class before its over

Wrong thread
QuailMan
Carney Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:34 pm

Changing coaches every 5 years just to save money by not paying your already sucessful coach is horrible management. BC is going in the right direction with the right coach. He is a good family man, good catholic and a great spokesman for the university. Do you really want to roll the dice just to save money?
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:09 pm

This is where Addazio wants to be - he will be here for the long term

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:HJS: I don't think you can compare the Louisville job with the BC job. Louisville has deep pockets for their coaching position and no academic requirements. they can overpay a coach and not worry about it. They can get the highest coach on the food chain.

BC counts its pennies. The budget is not unlimited. Academics are an issue. There are so many restrictions, real or imagined, when the BC job opens. Louisville picks the best coach, with BC you see the following all the time: Applicant must be:

1. someone with northeast ties
2. someone who can recruit within certain academic parameters
3. someone who we wont get outbid for by another school

The other thing that you mention is that a competent AD can keep a program rolling after coaching changes by hiring the right successor coaches. The assumption to this whole thread is that Bates will leave for Michigan, and Dazz will roll to FLA or Michigan(both long shots). they appear to have done a good job last time, but do you trust the BC BOT and Leahy to hire the right AD, and the right FB coach again?
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:13 pm

NotoriousOrange:Addazio as Scrush:TOB ?

Or is this a Finkle is Einhorn situation?
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby garf112 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:52 pm

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:This is where Addazio wants to be - he will be here for the long term

This is exactly what I heard. Addazio is home.

And Flute is a QB.
garf112
Carney Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:26 am

garf112 {l Wrote}:
And Flute is a QB.

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:19 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
garf112 {l Wrote}:
And Flute is a QB.

well done hansen
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:56 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Changing coaches every 5 years just to save money by not paying your already sucessful coach is horrible management. BC is going in the right direction with the right coach. He is a good family man, good catholic and a great spokesman for the university. Do you really want to roll the dice just to save money?

Changing coaches every 5 years is not as bad as grossly over-paying a mediocre coach. BTW... someone should really do a little check on the average amount of time a head coach is employed by a school. 5-years in one place is a lifetime in coaching.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby flakes on Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:31 am

Really hope we've got our eye on a QB for 2016…neither Robinson or Smith look like QBs. I do think Wade is solid though.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:46 am

flakes {l Wrote}:Really hope we've got our eye on a QB for 2016…neither Robinson or Smith look like QBs. I do think Wade is solid though.

That pass Wade through to the end zone a couple of games ago was pretty solid.
During his recruiting cycle, I recall people knocking his arm. His arm looked plenty good enough on that throw.
If he has even 1/2 the running ability of Murphy, then we are in for a real treat the next four years.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium