Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:02 pm

Here you go Pedro.

A while back someone asked the purpose of this thread. When the hire was announced the reactions of most posters was that of a hysterical lynch mob. After his first press conference the cries of Daziani, Dazoo, Sargent Slaughter and vitriol rang from the Heights. Many claimed BC Football was set back 5 more years and we would have to wait for even Bates to leave.

But there were a few sound thinking people who knew their football, and were able to discern a strong hire. Those people coalesced and gave a rousing AMEN to the Addazio hire. This thread was the place to officially sign on to the A Train.

I will be reformulating the list of people who feel Addazio is the real deal. Who else is jumping on board??

Daz and Proud - Say it out Loud.

Give me that AMEN!
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:05 pm

i still think he looks/acts like sgt slaughter :shrug
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:07 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i still think he looks/acts like sgt slaughter :shrug

You can think that and still think he is a great hire. You have been one of the posters reluctant to admit this was a very strong hire. You ready to jump now??

Perhaps having a great coach who you think looks and acts like Sgt. Slaughter even amps up hire. Maybe he wrings Dabo's Chicken Neck at the Fifty during the post game handshake. Maybe BC is down FSU and he throws salt in Jamison's eyes. A lot of options with Beamer's Goiter. Really no end to the possibilities.
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:22 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Thing is, a competent guy who tries hard can get us back to complaining about being one win short of the ACCCG instead of complaining about losing recruits to Northeastern track/kneeling out the clock with 2 minutes left/take your pick. Hell, TOB was at that level as a competent coach who didn't try hard near the end of his tenure. So I think we are heading back to steady mediocrity with some flashes of hope in the next few years.

Not that I'm happy with that for the football team, but its a better place to be than where we've been. It provides stability. It makes us look like a real football program again. It gets people to take us seriously, and maybe we can find a guy who wants to come coach here and take us to the next level if Daz can't do more than steady mediocrity.

I have been of the opinion that the floor for Addazio is TOB-level mediocrity. I think he comes about that level of mediocrity differently -through recruiting - but he will get there. The question will be whether he can coach the talent to something beyond that.

I have to say that I was thoroughly impressed with what they did coaching wise in year one. So I am even more optimistic than I was 8 months ago.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:27 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Thing is, a competent guy who tries hard can get us back to complaining about being one win short of the ACCCG instead of complaining about losing recruits to Northeastern track/kneeling out the clock with 2 minutes left/take your pick. Hell, TOB was at that level as a competent coach who didn't try hard near the end of his tenure. So I think we are heading back to steady mediocrity with some flashes of hope in the next few years.

Not that I'm happy with that for the football team, but its a better place to be than where we've been. It provides stability. It makes us look like a real football program again. It gets people to take us seriously, and maybe we can find a guy who wants to come coach here and take us to the next level if Daz can't do more than steady mediocrity.

I have been of the opinion that the floor for Addazio is TOB-level mediocrity. I think he comes about that level of mediocrity differently -through recruiting - but he will get there. The question will be whether he can coach the talent to something beyond that.

I have to say that I was thoroughly impressed with what they did coaching wise in year one. So I am even more optimistic than I was 8 months ago.

Teddy - I believe it was you, Pedro, Matt the Eagle who first expressed your support. Good cognitive recognition on your part
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:30 pm

in fact here is the way it went on December 5 2012

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:To my lynch mob of fellow posters - (beside the rational ones like Teddy, Pedro and the under rated Matt the Eagle) - who have tried to out do each other in hysteria and hyperbole. Take a deep breath we can get through this together. This will be a strong hire.

Let's take a rational look at what has transpired since HJS declared not hiring him for BC an epic disaster.

2009/2010 in Gainsville Florida Urban Meyer announces retirement - he waffles and says he will take an indefinite leave of absence - right in the middle of recruiting season.

Florida AD who has 5 years of experience with the staff names Addazio Head Coach - effective until when and if Urban Meyer returns.

Do you think Saban, Spurrier, Myles, Mullen, Kiffen etc. may have mentioned Meyer's and the program's issues to recruits? Despite the coaching uncertainty and FUD factor spread by competing programs. Florida/Addazio brings in the #1 recruiting class in the country. Addazio named number #1 recruiter in the nation

Meyer comes back - Brantley sucks - Florida slips to 8-5. Meyer retires.

Muschamp comes in and saves the day?

No! Florida slips further to 7-5 and the Fla offense slips to #9 in the SEC (Addazio probably wasn't the sole problem that Fla fans made him out to be)

Year 1 at Temple Addazio picks up in the middle of Temple recruiting and closes Golden's recruits despite Golden flying south. Temple has #1 class in the MAC - Temple loses Muhammad Wilkerson to the Jets in the first round and a safety in the 2nd round prior to the season. Despite the losses Temple goes 9 wins - 4 losses, Best since 1979 and the only Bowl win in Temple history

Year 2 at Temple - Temple is ranked the best recruiting class in the MAC. They move to the Big East and slip to 4-7 while playing 12-14 freshman major minutes. Temple exceeds all pre-season predictions.

The people who know him best

After Addazio named interim coach Quarterback Tim Tebow estimated that the booming tribute lasted three to four minutes, perhaps the longest ovation he had been part of.

“He’s got the best leadership qualities of any coach we have on the team,” Tebow said. “He can inspire, motivate and drive people like not many people I’ve been around. I’m so excited and proud for Coach Addazio.”

Urban Meyer "Addazio is the coach who I think is most like me"

I think most rationale people would conclude his experiences over the last 3 years would make him a better coach for BC now than he would have been 3 years ago. He has the interim HC experience at FLA - He has 2 years at Temple - He is no longer a rookie HC

Spaz had no energy - Addazio has an abundance
Spaz stopped working hard - Adazzio will outwork any BC coach since Coughlin
Addazio give the program better visibility in Boston
Addazio will be the best recruiter in my BC lifetime

I think if I am choosing mob leaders I would go with Urban Meyer over HJS 2012 version (who was with Addazio - before he was violently against him) - but maybe that is just me.
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:32 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:then he was not the right hire... the right hire could go 7-6 next year and then BCS game the following year

:hansen
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:33 pm

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i still think he looks/acts like sgt slaughter :shrug

You can think that and still think he is a great hire. You have been one of the posters reluctant to admit this was a very strong hire. You ready to jump now??

how'd he do in his 2nd year at temple?

that's right - how about we just stick with the likeness to an 80s wwf wrestler for now...
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:33 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:then he was not the right hire... the right hire could go 7-6 next year and then BCS game the following year

Yeah, that was classic :hansen material. Jesus.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:34 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

that's right - how about we just stick with the likeness to an 80s wwf wrestler for now...

He had talent at Temple and an even worse schedule.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:34 pm

So once again you refuse to give an Amen to the hire??

before this thread is over 3 times you will deny me
Last edited by NotoriousOrange on Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:35 pm

Is BC moving from the MAC to the ALL ACROSS AMERICA STRONG LEAGUE OF CHAMPIONS CONFERENCE?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:35 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Is BC moving from the MAC to the ALL ACROSS AMERICA STRONG LEAGUE OF CHAMPIONS CONFERENCE?

according to maryland lawsuits we are
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCdee on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:40 pm

Time to re-fire this puppy :elephant

BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:41 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

according to maryland lawsuits we are

then he will be hired away by Rutgers after year 2 anyway...
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:43 pm

i figure hcdb will hire him as his oc at connecticut
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:43 pm

I think he did a very good job last year (although 7 wins is what I thought would be a good season based on the schedule and talent... not some miracle season that others are believing it to be). I am disappointed we didn't get to 8 (with losses to UNC and SU still bothering me), but I am impressed that we were in every game we played (which I think says a lot about the staff). Nonetheless, I am still wary of what his offense will look like going forward, whether Don Brown will ever be able to successfully implement his system and think Dazoo's time management skills suck.

I am very interested to see what he does next year... as I think the talent dips considerably. Even with Murphy and Silberman, 6 wins would nearly be the miracle that some are making 2013 to be. His recruiting has been excellent (but I expected it to be). Where he is has exceeded my expectations considerably is in his selling the program. Going through 2 ESPN Car Washes (and shepherding Smash through a third) and being a great in-game commentator during the Nat Champs game... radio interviews... etc... all above and beyond.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:44 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I think he did a very good job last year (although 7 wins is what I thought would be a good season based on the schedule and talent... not some miracle season that others are believing it to be). I am disappointed we didn't get to 8 (with losses to UNC and SU still bothering me), but I am impressed that we were in every game we played (which I think says a lot about the staff). Nonetheless, I am still wary of what his offense will look like going forward, whether Don Brown will ever be able to successfully implement his system and think Dazoo's time management skills suck.

I am very interested to see what he does next year... as I think the talent dips considerably. Even with Murphy and Silberman, 6 wins would nearly be the miracle that some are making 2013 to be. His recruiting has been excellent (but I expected it to be). Where he is has exceeded my expectations considerably is in his selling the program. Going through 2 ESPN Car Washes (and shepherding Smash through a third) and being a great in-game commentator during the Nat Champs game... radio interviews... etc... all above and beyond.

So, No Amen yet from You??

Like TRE before this thread is over 3 times you will deny me
Last edited by NotoriousOrange on Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:53 pm

He's on board, but he needs to hedge his bets.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:56 pm

I thought Daz was a poor hire but he has proved me wrong. Daz has shrewdly taken advantage of Florida's ineptitude and established a pipeline of talented players to BC. His recruiting has been a little quirky but overall outstanding. He's got BC positioned to be an upper echelon team in 3 years. Everything's coming up Milhouse for Daz right now.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:00 pm

I'm still holding out until signing day. If the bulk of his commits sign their LOIs (I know you have to expect at least one or two last minute defections), I'll finally come on board with this hire.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:06 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:I'm still holding out until signing day. If the bulk of his commits sign their LOIs (I know you have to expect at least one or two last minute defections), I'll finally come on board with this hire.

Wade and Landry were to two most important and they're signed, I don't see BC losing any of the big recruits but a lower end one could bolt I suppose. There's ton of PT to be had by most of these freshmen.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:58 pm

I think he'll be fine, but I have major questions about the systems we're running. The spread works better if you can out athlete teams, which BC will never do against the FSUs and Clemson's. I think the D has the same problem, it require super athletes in the secondary, which we'll never have an abundance of.

I think TOB with a higher ceiling is about right. 6 wins would be excellent but not a miracle. You cant honestly tell me Pitt, Cuse, NCST or Wake will be any better than BC next year. You've got 2 awful OOC games for wins. USC and CSU will be losses (CSU is better than people think).
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 31southst on Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:22 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I think he'll be fine, but I have major questions about the systems we're running. The spread works better if you can out athlete teams, which BC will never do against the FSUs and Clemson's. I think the D has the same problem, it require super athletes in the secondary, which we'll never have an abundance of.

I think TOB with a higher ceiling is about right. 6 wins would be excellent but not a miracle. You cant honestly tell me Pitt, Cuse, NCST or Wake will be any better than BC next year. You've got 2 awful OOC games for wins. USC and CSU will be losses (CSU is better than people think).

CSU just lost their really good RB to the NFL too. I think 3 wins OOC and 3 more from among Wake/Cuse/NC State/VT/Pitt and even a rebuilding Louisville team is not unreasonable.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:46 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Yeah, that was classic :hansen material. Jesus.

EVER TO EXCEL, bitches
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby IgnacioA26er on Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:19 pm

I've been on board for a long time. I think we have a lot of good athletes coming in. I would definitely take 1 or 2 more WRs though.
The major thing that annoyed me this year was clock management (UNC pissed me off too)...
IgnacioA26er
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:12 am

The only reason I even qualified being on board was because I was concerned about how they would coach guys up. He will recruit, and the systems the want to install are fine.

After this season, it's tough to knock the coaching aspect. Went entirely away from their philosophy based on personnel, won 5 more games with the same talent, and almost created a Heisman winner out of whole cloth. Running a system they had never run before because it was the right one to run.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:21 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The only reason I even qualified being on board was because I was concerned about how they would coach guys up. He will recruit, and the systems the want to install are fine.

After this season, it's tough to knock the coaching aspect. Went entirely away from their philosophy based on personnel, won 5 more games with the same talent, and almost created a Heisman winner out of whole cloth. Running a system they had never run before because it was the right one to run.

so, based on this season, you're coronating ocfhcadiwrd

if i liked sports, i feel i would have to disagree with you
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:29 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The only reason I even qualified being on board was because I was concerned about how they would coach guys up. He will recruit, and the systems the want to install are fine.

the parts in blue are the signs of a really good coach. one that puts winning ahead of their ego.
really happy about last season and i'm looking for an even better season next year!
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:43 am

so, based on this season, you're coronating ocfhcadiwrd

if i liked sports, i feel i would have to disagree with you

No. Individual play calls and game management were frustrating at times, but overall, the one offensive take away from this season is that Daz will adapt his coaching to the talent - so much so that he can turn a guy like Andre who was JAG in a pro style running offense and turn him into a Heisman candidate in a better pro style offense, despite the fact that he wants to run spread.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium