Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:00 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Guy is doing well on the offseason part of the job. This will help him with the other part, which is really what determines if he's a success or not. But here's hoping.

Also, I don't know if we necessarily knocked it out of the park with the Addazio and Bates hires, or if we're all just unused to seeing competent people who try hard at their jobs occupying these positions at BC. Not to say I don't like the guys, but all of the stuff the fanbase has been admiring/geeking out on is probably all just what you're supposed to actually do as an AD or a Head Coach.

This.

I'm not particularly enthralled with Master "Student Development" Bates (even with his fancy, new non-Something-About-Mary haircut). But, during this offseason, Dazoo has done everything you could want from a head coach. He has recruited. He has reached out to alumni and former players. He has done the community outreach and local speaking engagements. And, he has done plenty of media. I'm not particularly enthralled by his Spaz-like, old school persona, but I'm not a recruit. Regardless, it comes off as sincere and genuine (which really is all that matters). As bomberman raises... is it anything different than ANY coach does? It certainly looks incredible when compared to Spaz. Ultimately, while most coaches do this, I do think that Dazoo does a better job than most and is more focused than most on this type of stuff.

All that said, my concerns with Dazoo centered on his coaching. Nothing that has happened thus far has resolved those issues for me.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:05 am

Thing is, a competent guy who tries hard can get us back to complaining about being one win short of the ACCCG instead of complaining about losing recruits to Northeastern track/kneeling out the clock with 2 minutes left/take your pick. Hell, TOB was at that level as a competent coach who didn't try hard near the end of his tenure. So I think we are heading back to steady mediocrity with some flashes of hope in the next few years.

Not that I'm happy with that for the football team, but its a better place to be than where we've been. It provides stability. It makes us look like a real football program again. It gets people to take us seriously, and maybe we can find a guy who wants to come coach here and take us to the next level if Daz can't do more than steady mediocrity.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Re: Adaziani's ESPN Day

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:06 am

It would probably be a good idea for someone to merge this with the other thread (or merge the relevant section here). For instance, I had no idea before CAG posted that Dazoo was doing a chat. I mean... usually... such an opportunity to submit Qs in an open forum would have this board buzzing over the possibilities.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:10 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Thing is, a competent guy who tries hard can get us back to complaining about being one win short of the ACCCG instead of complaining about losing recruits to Northeastern track/kneeling out the clock with 2 minutes left/take your pick. Hell, TOB was at that level as a competent coach who didn't try hard near the end of his tenure. So I think we are heading back to steady mediocrity with some flashes of hope in the next few years.

Not that I'm happy with that for the football team, but its a better place to be than where we've been. It provides stability. It makes us look like a real football program again. It gets people to take us seriously, and maybe we can find a guy who wants to come coach here and take us to the next level if Daz can't do more than steady mediocrity.

I have been of the opinion that the floor for Addazio is TOB-level mediocrity. I think he comes about that level of mediocrity differently -through recruiting - but he will get there. The question will be whether he can coach the talent to something beyond that.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:11 am

There's a chat?

hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:13 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Thing is, a competent guy who tries hard can get us back to complaining about being one win short of the ACCCG instead of complaining about losing recruits to Northeastern track/kneeling out the clock with 2 minutes left/take your pick. Hell, TOB was at that level as a competent coach who didn't try hard near the end of his tenure. So I think we are heading back to steady mediocrity with some flashes of hope in the next few years.

In all honesty, I'm not sure that Daz is that type of coach. I think he will prove to be more boom or bust (i.e. where he could be a HUGE win-big, program-building coach (like Schiano or Poodle Pete) or an abject failure who recruits in spurts but has a disorganized, scatter-shot approach to building a program (like Zook or Ogeron)). I viewed someone like Roman as a more measured hire who would build the program slowly, the right way and ultimately be like Harbaugh (who would have us in the BCS and than leave for the NFL, but with a great foundation) or TOB (who would stall once the 8-4 plateau was reached).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 10-2 season on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:16 am

Hello friends. What brings you to my door on this last day of April? Since you usually don't show up until June or July I don't have anything prepared for you at this time.
10-2 season
n00b

Postby TontoKowalski on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:23 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:There's a chat?

I just submitted a question. I always try to submit questions that find the delicate balance of a) being relevant enough that it might be chosen, b) is just asshatted enough, c) contains at least one insider reference to this board, and d) is well-written and polite. We shall see. I've never had a question chosen by any of these ESPN types. I think this is a good one though and is directed at recruiting, so there's a chance.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:24 am

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:

I just submitted a question. I always try to submit questions that find the delicate balance of a) being relevant enough that it might be chosen, b) is just asshatted enough, c) contains at least one insider reference to this board, and d) is well-written and polite. We shall see. I've never had a question chosen by any of these ESPN types. I think this is a good one though and is directed at recruiting, so there's a chance.

ESPN chose my question for a Matt Ryan chat once. I asked if he was a Pino's or Presto's guy.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Re: Addazio will turn out to be a great hire/Daz at ESPN Day

Postby TontoKowalski on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:32 am

Well... we're waiting...

which is he?
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:34 am

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:Well... we're waiting...

which is he?

Presto's
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:35 am

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:

I submitted two using the same criteria.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:35 am

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:

That formula was worked to perfection by Reverend Mike on November 11, 2010 for a 3pm GDF chat.
http://www.bceagles.com/chat/110810aaa.html
Greenarthur (Saugus): You're doing a great job Coach. With the recent upswing in the team's performance, any thoughts on extending Coach Spaz's contract?
Gene DeFilippo: I work with Coach Spaz on a daily basis and I can tell you that he is one fine football coach. This team continues to improve every week and there's still 25% of the season left to be played.

And look how that worked out for us 1-month, 9-days later...
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/ncf/ne ... id=5938840
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:38 am

I'm disturbed that Rev Mike slipped so easily into a perfect greenarthur impression. This is like Neitszche's quote about the abyss and monsters.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:38 am

I asked about air-conditioning in Conte. And men's lacrosse.

I assume that if either question actually got through (they won't) Addazio would string together a 2 minute semi-coherent response to both.

"Air-conditioning. Gotta maintain OPTIMAL temperature. Happens when you're HOT. Jerry York. Sticks. Keep the pipeline open. Passion. Red sauce."

"Lacrosse. Indian game. SIMULATED WARFARE. Fertile REKROOTIN ground. BLOODSPORT. Old School. Jarring Ground Game. SMASHMOUTH. INTENSITY. Jim Brown."
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:42 am

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/ ... ve-addazio

bumping the chat link. i hope mine gets through
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Bernard Lonergan on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:44 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:I asked about air-conditioning in Conte. And men's lacrosse.

I assume that if either question actually got through (they won't) Addazio would string together a 2 minute semi-coherent response to both.

"Air-conditioning. Gotta maintain OPTIMAL temperature. Happens when you're HOT. Jerry York. Sticks. Keep the pipeline open. Passion. Red sauce."

"Lacrosse. Indian game. SIMULATED WARFARE. Fertile REKROOTIN ground. BLOODSPORT. Old School. Jarring Ground Game. SMASHMOUTH. INTENSITY. Jim Brown."

This is a Bates thing, not a Dazzler move, but Air-conditioning is on the way. Slight chance it is on this summer's construction plan (still being finalized), but will be done by next summer.
Bernard Lonergan
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:46 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/47853/bc-eagles-steve-addazio

If enough of us submit questions, one is bound to be chosen. BC coaches don't exactly burn up the chatlines on ESPN.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:51 am

I feel like aliases should be submitting questions.

Does anyone know if they check IP addresses when they do this? If I submit eight questions, seven of which are from aliases ('Can we widen the roster photo angles to include shirtlessness? Do you like Jay Z?'), and one of which is legit,will they blackball my legit question because the other seven are fucking stupid? Anyone know?
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:54 am

Heres the link to the Mike and Mike segment

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=9226919&s=espn
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:57 am

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:I feel like aliases should be submitting questions.

Does anyone know if they check IP addresses when they do this? If I submit eight questions, seven of which are from aliases ('Can we widen the roster photo angles to include shirtlessness? Do you like Jay Z?'), and one of which is legit,will they blackball my legit question because the other seven are fucking stupid? Anyone know?

I don't know for sure, but I doubt they are sinking many resources into ensuring the integrity of a webchat. They probably have an intern reading all the submissions, tossing any that are inappropriate/off-topic, then sending what he/she feels are the best 50 questions to a content manager who will pick the best 20 or so from that group to ask Daz.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:04 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/47853/bc-eagles-steve-addazio

i just sent this....

This year's team is mostly a senior team (some of which like Alex Amidon, Kaleb Ramsey, both tailbacks, and Chase Rettig, are 4 year starters.) My question is this, given that your team is mostly veterans (particularly on the lines), are you shooting for the ACCCG the way Jagodzinski did in 2007 or would you still consider this a "rebuilding" year and if that is the case, how do you expect the 2014 season would be better than 2013 with so many younger players?
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:07 am

Dual threat = "Passer that can run"

That hasn't been his history, but I will be pleased if this is his new definition of dual threat. This is my #1 concern, seeing Chris Coyer clones floundering back there for 4 years.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TontoKowalski on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:11 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:This year's team is mostly MEN(some of which like Dave Shinskie, Dave Shinskie, Dave Shinskie, and Dave Shinskie, are MEN.) My question is this, given that your team is mostly MEN(particularly on the lines), are you shooting for the ACCCG the way Jagodzinski did in 2007 or would you still consider this a "rebuilding" year and if that is the case, how do you expect the 2014 season would be better than 2013 with so many younger MEN?

See my corrections.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:14 am

Apparently, he was also on First Take this morning. Here is a video clip of part of the interview.
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9227299
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:18 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Apparently, he was also on First Take this morning. Here is a video clip of part of the interview.
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9227299

He'll be on Cowherd at 1245 as well
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:19 am

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:This year's team is mostly MEN(some of which like Dave Shinskie, Dave Shinskie, Dave Shinskie, and Dave Shinskie, are MEN.) My question is this, given that your team is mostly MEN(particularly on the lines), are you shooting for the ACCCG the way Jagodzinski did in 2007 or would you still consider this a "rebuilding" year and if that is the case, how do you expect the 2014 season would be better than 2013 with so many younger MEN?

See my corrections.

why don't you submit that tonto?
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:23 am

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:I feel like aliases should be submitting questions.

Doubt it. As long as you vary the names/locations you should be fine. As foot said, doubt they're dumping resources into moderating a webchat.

On a somewhat related note, I may or may not have been at a BC event recently where AudieBlueTomatoBeaconFavre3.141592654 did the video production, I can CONFRIM he's still alive.

I can also CONFRIM that no Jayz music was used
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:40 am

Dazoo is due on The Herd in 5 minutes. One guess as to what Mr. Cowherd has been talking about since 12:30???
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?s=espn
Last edited by HJS on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:41 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Dazoo is due on The Herd in 5 minutes. One guess as to what Mr. Cowherd has been talking about since 12:30???

andre williams?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium