Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Postby NotoriousOrange on Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:07 am

Some people (me and a select few) have the prescience to evaluate a situation and make a determination. Others (looking at you Meatbomber) can only react to what has already occurred
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:09 am

I don't think there is middle ground on declaring the hire a success. If he left tomorrow, he would have been a success given what he had.

Declaring it a "great" hire remains premature. He hasn't quite reached TOB levels yet (although he is doing it faster) and TOB was at best good.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:22 am

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Some people (me and a select few) have the prescience to evaluate a situation and make a determination. Others (looking at you Meatbomber) can only react to what has already occurred

While I did not start this thread, I viewed it as a prediction thread, sort of like the Pick 'em thread. We are now 22 games into his regime. A lot can still happen, but too much already has. It would be like betting on a game after the first quarter or second quarter.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:50 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I don't think there is middle ground on declaring the hire a success. If he left tomorrow, he would have been a success given what he had.

Declaring it a "great" hire remains premature. He hasn't quite reached TOB levels yet (although he is doing it faster) and TOB was at best good.

this is my position as well, even though it was well articulated by a known jerk

daz was a good hire. he's proven to be a good coach. i am not ready to pull the trigger on "great" yet because he still misses out on very simple things such as clock management and understanding the need for at least one kicker on the roster.

daz was also incredibly bailed out by murphy this year. he gets all the credit in the world for bringing him here but for us to start to rely on a rabbit out of the hat like this on an annual basis is asking for the stereotypical bc kick in the junk even more than usual.

hate me because i'm not caught up in the millenial world of extremes where every news cast is "tragic" and every bright spot is "awesome." things are allowed to be "good" and "bad" still too
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:05 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I don't think there is middle ground on declaring the hire a success. If he left tomorrow, he would have been a success given what he had.

this is my position as well, even though it was well articulated by a known jerk

daz was a good hire. he's proven to be a good coach. i am not ready to pull the trigger on "great" yet because he still misses out on very simple things such as clock management and understanding the need for at least one kicker on the roster.

daz was also incredibly bailed out by murphy this year. he gets all the credit in the world for bringing him here but for us to start to rely on a rabbit out of the hat like this on an annual basis is asking for the stereotypical bc kick in the junk even more than usual.

hate me because i'm not caught up in the millenial world of extremes where every news cast is "tragic" and every bright spot is "awesome." things are allowed to be "good" and "bad" still too

He didn't just bring Murphy here, he also had the vision to see how he should be used and the ability to revamp the offensive philosophy to take advantage of that. It wasn't like everyone looked at the Florida roster and said "hey, that Murphy guy is potentially an all-ACC QB".
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:38 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

He didn't just bring Murphy here, he also had the vision to see how he should be used and the ability to revamp the offensive philosophy to take advantage of that. It wasn't like everyone looked at the Florida roster and said "hey, that Murphy guy is potentially an all-ACC QB".

i refuse to say that out loud because some of that is also attributable to fhcabbwiwrd
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:56 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

i refuse to say that out loud because some of that is also attributable to fhcabbwiwrd

He implements it and gets credit for that, and calling it on a play to play basis (to the extent he doesn't fall asleep and forget Murphy is there, a la CSU). Daz gets the credit for getting the dude and the decision to make the change in philosophy is on him. As he always says with Brown, he wanted aggressive D, so he went out and nabbed an aggressive DC.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:12 pm

then the decision to call off the aggression in the waning stages of the game and putting every opponent back in control (a la csu) is on him as well... which means he's still not "great"
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:50 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:then the decision to call off the aggression in the waning stages of the game and putting every opponent back in control (a la csu) is on him as well... which means he's still not "great"

Ultimately everything is on him. I'm sure that he has ultimate say in strategy. My gripes are generally with tactics.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:55 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:then the decision to call off the aggression in the waning stages of the game and putting every opponent back in control (a la csu) is on him as well... which means he's still not "great"

I would not say he's put every opponent back in control. A similar philosophy (basic run plays) worked well last year. The offensive line had worn down the opponents and the holes were large for Andre Williams. Andre often got the bulk of his yards in the latter stages of the game. He had impressive fourth quarters against NCSU, NMSU, Maryland, and Wake Forest. BC "put away" those opponents with what some might call "unimaginative" play calling. This year, running the ball is still the strength of their offense, but I don't think the offensive line is as good this year. I think it's harder to put teams away. But if you look at the USC and VT games in 2014, two long runs clinched those games. It's not like BC was shut out in the fourth quarter of those two games. They put up points.

EDIT - Andre also had a long run against VT to clinch the 2013 game as well.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:32 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

I would not say he's put every opponent back in control. A similar philosophy (basic run plays) worked well last year. The offensive line had worn down the opponents and the holes were large for Andre Williams. Andre often got the bulk of his yards in the latter stages of the game. He had impressive fourth quarters against NCSU, NMSU, Maryland, and Wake Forest. BC "put away" those opponents with what some might call "unimaginative" play calling. This year, running the ball is still the strength of their offense, but I don't think the offensive line is as good this year. I think it's harder to put teams away. But if you look at the USC and VT games in 2014, two long runs clinched those games. It's not like BC was shut out in the fourth quarter of those two games. They put up points.

EDIT - Andre also had a long run against VT to clinch the 2013 game as well.

I think the big difference is not the line but the style of running. BC was 4 yards and a cloud of dust start to finish last year. This year they have a big play rushing offense, with some power run mixed in. The amount of power run is not enough to wear down the Ds like last season. Thus, when they go to it to close out games, it is not as effective. Thus it makes them look conservative, despite it being what worked last season.

I'd prefer they ran the defense and offense that got them up by 2 TDs in the first place and let the clock take care of itself. Running the spread option for 8 plays will waste more time than 3 dives and a punt.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:11 am

good, not great
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:41 am

offensive playcalling is terrible
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:47 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:offensive playcalling is terrible

As is clock management and not having a kicker
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:19 am

But none of these things were the reason we lost today's game.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:26 am

hansen {l Wrote}:

The debate this week was about sgt slaughter being a great coach. Not ryan day's inability to call plays or don brown's inability to stop 3rd and long
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:31 am

hansen {l Wrote}:

The debate this week was about sgt slaughter being a great coach. Not ryan day's inability to call plays or don brown's inability to stop 3rd and long

Not having a kicker totally changed yesterday and the Clemsn game.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:33 am

It was pretty damning when the announcer noted he'd seen the kicker take very few practice kicks, both before the game and while on the sidelines.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:55 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:good, not great

Pretty much this. I think he can win 7 or whatever each year. I have 0 confidence in his ability to beat the big 3 teams in our division. His clock management is terrible and we have way too many total clunker of games
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:59 pm

As much as we need better recruits, Daz needs to improve his coaching. He screwed up the end of the first half again. He should have kicked the PAT to make the score 24-20, allowing BC to later kick a field goal to draw within 31-23. The refs deserve blame as well as the illegal forward pass was clearly a fumble. Getting backec up on the 1 yd line did not allow BC to run their offense.

All that said, every year BC is just going to play a really bad game. It happens to most teams except the few that go on to the playoff. Better players cover up a lot of coaching mistakes. Louisville was lucking their starting QB got knocked out of the game. I really doubt that he would have led them to the win last night.

Daz is great for BC, but he is not a great game day coach yet.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:29 pm

I assume 4 years of his own recruits can help cover up some mistakes. You are right, a competent player can make up for mistake in scheme and a bad play call with an individual performance.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Primetime on Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:32 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:As much as we need better recruits, Daz needs to improve his coaching. He screwed up the end of the first half again. He should have kicked the PAT to make the score 24-20, allowing BC to later kick a field goal to draw within 31-23.

You're assuming that our kicker would have made the PAT. And also made the FG.
Primetime
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:36 pm

Is the coaching staff having clunkers, or are they simply not able to cover up all the holes against certain teams? I get the in game play to play gripes, and they are legit, but was last night a clunker by the coaches or simply an inability to cover up talent issues on a given night?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:17 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:As much as we need better recruits, Daz needs to improve his coaching. He screwed up the end of the first half again. He should have kicked the PAT to make the score 24-20, allowing BC to later kick a field goal to draw within 31-23.

Daz won't get an ounce of criticism from me if he never kicks a PAT again this season.

Edit: if we are going to kick it, why is Launceford the one kicking it? At 14-18, think Daz has enough of a sample size to know he shouldn't be (howell is 8 of 9, knoll is 4/5)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Brooklyneagle on Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:40 am

The kicking is on the coaches. Even with mediocre talent, you have to be able to hit PATs at the rate decent high schools achieve. If you don't have even mediocre kicking talent, that's on the coaching staff' for failure to recruit. This applies with only slightly less force to FG kicking.

Saturday's blocked punt was egregious. Blame on that play goes big time to our slow-motion punter (whose punting has otherwise, with few exceptions, been excellent) and to our whiffing blockers -- and ultimately to our special teams' coaching. Lack of alertness and focus. (I am reminded of how the kicking team stood around last year while Maryland ran back a blocked PAT -- that almost cost us the game.) Credit goes to Louisville's coaches, who clearly had seen something.
Brooklyneagle
Carney Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:54 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:with this great coach on the sidelines, it's clear we need to close in the upper corners immediately (if not sooner)

are you feeling persecuted by the 1.5 posters who have fully endorsed the football coach?

is roonie the half?

Which of you is the other .5 who persecutes TRE?
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:06 pm

as ive said repeatedly, i dont get why people are in such a rush to judgement.

first year, pretty much in line w my expectations. predicted 8-4 got 7-5.
this year, looks to be pretty much in line. predicted 6-6 looks to be 7-5 at best.

next year is the year you can really start to judge him in my opinion. we dont get to 8 wins next year and i think theres cause for concern. getting to 6 / 7 wins is pretty damn easy, its about making that next step once you have enough of your players in the system.

weve had some great highs and some frustrating lows...i believe thats due to the lack of talent and depth more than the coaching...by next year well know
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:09 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:as ive said repeatedly, i dont get why people are in such a rush to judgement.

first year, pretty much in line w my expectations. predicted 8-4 got 7-5.
this year, looks to be pretty much in line. predicted 6-6 looks to be 7-5 at best.

next year is the year you can really start to judge him in my opinion. we dont get to 8 wins next year and i think theres cause for concern. getting to 6 / 7 wins is pretty damn easy, its about making that next step once you have enough of your players in the system.

weve had some great highs and some frustrating lows...i believe thats due to the lack of talent and depth more than the coaching...by next year well know

will 50 games be enough or do we need to give him a little longer? i assume once he has his talented guys in place it will help him properly manage a clock.

oh yeah, will one of those guys be a kicker?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:12 pm

waiting for the 25th game is a little different than the 50th...you know im not an adaziani apologist.

just like ill shit on him for his clock management and the special teams, ill give him credit for shaping the offenses around the talent hes got (a trait VERY few coaches have) and a defense that has overachieved on the whole in my opinion
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:13 pm

Did Spaz even affect the Super Fan depth?

Where is this year's Sid Vicious? You didn't seed that dude miss extra points (of course he didn't make field goals much beyond that range either)
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium