Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:22 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
gallopingghost {l Wrote}:Daz looks good so far. That being said, I would rather have a guy who can coach but not recruit, than a guy who can recruit but not coach.

Yes, we do not want Coach Zook.

still better than coach spaz who could neither coach nor recruit
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:27 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
gallopingghost {l Wrote}:Daz looks good so far. That being said, I would rather have a guy who can coach but not recruit, than a guy who can recruit but not coach.

hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:35 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:59 pm

can't argue that

when you are right, you are right. of course, you just dissed our current players
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby NotoriousOrange on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:46 am

Saturday's was the worst days
Now we'll sip champagne with ALJ
Uh, damn right I like games we'll play
'Cause we just got a shot of Vitamin A
And it's all Good
and if you don't know - now you know
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:07 am

Who's next on-board? If it's you - Testify and give an AMEN!!

So far we have:

* Cadillac90
* IB
* Pedro
* Claver with a tepid Amen
* Vegas
* westcoastBernie
* Teddy cautiously on board
* Matt the Eagle
* Hansen
* TRE - kinda no? " i am okay with frank addazio. i am NOT okay with his retread assistant coaches. i view the latter as his downfall. all that said, i hope i am wrong but i'm fairly certain i'm right"
* Sweet Dee "
* Militant Eagle
* Basselope (weighted average)
* Eagle Caddy

From ESPN http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/colleges

With the win, BC starts the season 2-0 for the first time since 2010, when the Eagles opened with wins over Weber State and Kent State. It’s also the first time the Eagles have won their ACC opener since 2007, when they beat Wake Forest to open the season.

While they’ll celebrate the win this weekend, the Eagles aren’t close to overconfident. They know it’s early. They know they have a stiff test awaiting them next week, when they fly to Southern California to take on No. 25 USC.

“I’m proud of the fact of where we are,” Addazio said. “We’re 2-0 and that’s great. That’s great. We’re fighting, we’re scratching, we’re clawing. And that’s fantastic, but we’ve got a lot of work to do.”

But after matching their win total from 2012 in the first two weeks of the 2013 season, fighting through adversity to come out on top in both weeks, the Eagles seem to be taking on the personality of their new coaching staff, led by Addazio. They’re fighting hard.
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:48 am

Before I fully declare my allegiance can someone tell me if the post game talk with the team included "that's two down, four to go" or "hiphipHOORAY"
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby NotoriousOrange on Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:05 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:Before I fully declare my allegiance can someone tell me if the post game talk with the team included "that's two down, four to go" or "hiphipHOORAY"

Fully commit COWARD
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby Mosi on Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:13 am

said it before I wasn't a fan of the hire when it happened, went to Town Hall meeting with Bates and Addazio spoke for about a half an hour and I was ready to pull the pads and buckle the chinstrap

II havent watched the replay of the game yet, but after the half someone said in his interview that there was some problem and 'Daz said 'thats on me' can you think of one time when :spaz2 took the blme for anything? we should have had UA make uni's with numbers in Bus Tread Black

I'm IN
"Felgie, you Kenmore Kommunity Kollege Eurotrash prettyboy, you're right about one thing, I'm a BC guy and my shit dosen't stink" Mosi on the whiner line 3/23/04
Mosi
McGuinn Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:48 pm

Mosi {l Wrote}:said it before I wasn't a fan of the hire when it happened, went to Town Hall meeting with Bates and Addazio spoke for about a half an hour and I was ready to pull the pads and buckle the chinstrap

II havent watched the replay of the game yet, but after the half someone said in his interview that there was some problem and 'Daz said 'thats on me' can you think of one time when :spaz2 took the blme for anything? we should have had UA make uni's with numbers in Bus Tread Black

I'm IN

During the halftime interview, BC was running the ball very effectively and Daz mentioned that they should have ran it more "but that's on me". I remember watching that and being like, oh shit, this guy is for real.

Anybody else notice that big Wash and Addazio were on the field after every play?

There were clear improvements from week 1, and although unlikely, BC can beat USC.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby durkcal on Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:02 pm

there are many subtle good signs on the field vs last year:

- the defensive line is 100% better, with basically the same players. That's Brown, X's and O's, offseason work and preparation.
- Less tangible - I think last year's team would have lost the Villanova game. It was too easy for that group to get their heads down. With this group, you can see they're like "no, we got this." There is a reason we have seen several goal line stands. That's about these guys feeling like their part of a program. That's where all the Daz energy pays off.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby Ignacio A26er on Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:32 pm

As my first official post on this site, I am going all in on Daz. The life in the program is very refreshing from the snoozefest of the 'stache era.

Addazio for Heisman! :screamyeagle
Addazio for Heisman!
Ignacio A26er
n00b

Postby claver2010 on Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:49 pm

Ignacio A26er {l Wrote}:As my first official post on this site, I am going all in on Daz. The life in the program is very refreshing from the snoozefest of the 'stache era.

Addazio for Heisman! :screamyeagle

+5
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Mike_S on Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:12 pm

Like Teddy, I'm cautiously on board.

If he can keep things focused when the first significant adversity hits, and not let it snowball badly, I'll be all-in.
Mike_S
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:43 pm

I'd like to see them play a real team before signing on the line.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:12 pm

I'm all in on Daz because of Brown. He'll keep us in most games regardless of Fake Field Goal lads play calling. If Brown migrates to another Northeast state, I reserve the right to change my mind.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:36 pm

Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:I'm all in on Daz because of Brown. He'll keep us in most games regardless of Fake Field Goal lads play calling. If Brown migrates to another Northeast state, I reserve the right to change my mind.

Seconded. The motion should carry easily.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:19 pm

Updated List - new converts in red

* Pedro
* Claver with a tepid Amen
* Vegas
* westcoastBernie
* Teddy cautiously on board
* Matt the Eagle
* Hansen
* TRE - kinda no? " i am okay with frank addazio. i am NOT okay with his retread assistant coaches. i view the latter as his downfall. all that said, i hope i am wrong but i'm fairly certain i'm right"
* Sweet Dee "
* Cadillac90
* IB
* Militant Eagle
* Basselope (weighted average)
* Eagle Caddy
* Mosi IN
* Ignacio A26er (in on his first post)
* Mike_S kinda in - but in a weak manner - (Daz demands more and you have 1 week to go all in)
* Oliver Closeoff - All in (Unless Brown leaves)

From ESPN http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/colleges

With the win, BC starts the season 2-0 for the first time since 2010, when the Eagles opened with wins over Weber State and Kent State. It’s also the first time the Eagles have won their ACC opener since 2007, when they beat Wake Forest to open the season.

While they’ll celebrate the win this weekend, the Eagles aren’t close to overconfident. They know it’s early. They know they have a stiff test awaiting them next week, when they fly to Southern California to take on No. 25 USC.

“I’m proud of the fact of where we are,” Addazio said. “We’re 2-0 and that’s great. That’s great. We’re fighting, we’re scratching, we’re clawing. And that’s fantastic, but we’ve got a lot of work to do.”

But after matching their win total from 2012 in the first two weeks of the 2013 season, fighting through adversity to come out on top in both weeks, the Eagles seem to be taking on the personality of their new coaching staff, led by Addazio. They’re fighting hard.
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:36 pm

So you're gonna revive this thread after every win? I would have waited until the Orange Bowl win.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:40 pm

The idea is to is allow people who can recognize and get behind a good coach early a thread to express themselves. This thread was started in early December, and at that time the lynch mob was in full hysteria and 95+% were hard-core anti Addazio. This will still likely be a 5 win or so team, but for the first time in years BC is on the rise. This was an excellent hire.

If you think Addazio is the right guy - Give an AMEN!
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:33 pm

Im in on Addazio. Think his system fits the historic strengths of this program, with his OL background and reliance on the run.

He gets the recruiting part and his semi-corny attitude is a perfect sell to HS kids. He will control New England (since UMass and Yukon are basicaly 1AA and couldnt even beat out :spaz2 for recruits) and keep local guys away from national baby rapists. I think this years class may be a little heavy on some flyer guys he offered too early, but the top line is really good and has some nice pieces.

I also think he put together a really great staff. Ryan Day still has a bit to show me, but I think the staff as a whole is a very refreshing sign. Next week will tell alot.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby maxwell22 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:02 am

A little reality: FORDHAM BEAT VILLANOVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
maxwell22
Carney Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:14 am

maxwell22 {l Wrote}:A little reality: FORDHAM BEAT VILLANOVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't rain on our parade.

p.s. I'm up way to early this morning.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:51 am

I remember when two games of Dave Shinskie was all we needed to tackle the question of "will he leave early for the NFL or not?"

C'mon people. I like what we've seen in 3 of the 4 quarters of football we've played, but let's give it some time before building a statue.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:07 am

You are missing the concept of this thread Bomber. This is predictive thread postulating Addazio is a great hire. Anyone can state that after all of the facts are in. Jesuit wants to wait until an Orange Bowl win. Back in December it was 95% against. I thought then - and still think now - that he was a strong choice.

The 10 months since the hire have been really good

* Energy back in the program = yes
* Ability to be a compelling voice/face of the program for ESPN, WEEI, Blogs, Globe, Herald, etc. = yes
* Personally takes charge of recruiting and understands how to sell BC = yes
* Top 30 recruiting class after a 2-10 season = yes
* Hires a quality staff = yes
* Starting 2&0 = yes

This will still likely be 5 win team and may not be that much better next year. But this is the right guy to lead BC football back to excellence
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:26 am

No no. My point was you're right, it's looking like he's a great hire. I just would've held off on reminding everyone on your foresight until a win bigger than WF.
How refreshing to see him in the halftime interview not mumble and give voice to doom.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:27 am

5 wins this year is fine. Ideally I'd like to see us in a bowl game and I don't think getting that 6th win is too much of a stretch, but everyone here has their expectations somewhere in the 4-7 range going into the season, I think.

My concern is where does Daz go from here? When they get the dual-threat QB they want, does that improve the offense? Or do we see something akin to what Temple did last year? How do they build momentum? Don Brown is an old man - who does Daz get to replace him? Do we see ourselves plateauing at 7-8 wins a year? That's respectable, but is that a "great" hire or just a pretty good hire? We all wanted more from TOB when he was here, so I'd expect that after 3-4 years of recruiting, we'd like to start to see more from Addazio.

Everything else you've pointed to - enthusiasm, early recruiting returns, etc. - is nice, but its window dressing if results don't show up on the field. So far, those results are nice, but it's up against an FCS team and a fellow cellar-dweller ACC team.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:50 am

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:No no. My point was you're right, it's looking like he's a great hire. I just would've held off on reminding everyone on your foresight until a win bigger than WF.
How refreshing to see him in the halftime interview not mumble and give voice to doom.

Got it.

Now for the big question - are you ready to officially sign on to the A Train? Or will you take your own advice and wait for the Orange Bowl before declaring?
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:55 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:5 wins this year is fine. Ideally I'd like to see us in a bowl game and I don't think getting that 6th win is too much of a stretch, but everyone here has their expectations somewhere in the 4-7 range going into the season, I think.

My concern is where does Daz go from here? When they get the dual-threat QB they want, does that improve the offense? Or do we see something akin to what Temple did last year? How do they build momentum? Don Brown is an old man - who does Daz get to replace him? Do we see ourselves plateauing at 7-8 wins a year? That's respectable, but is that a "great" hire or just a pretty good hire? We all wanted more from TOB when he was here, so I'd expect that after 3-4 years of recruiting, we'd like to start to see more from Addazio.

Everything else you've pointed to - enthusiasm, early recruiting returns, etc. - is nice, but its window dressing if results don't show up on the field. So far, those results are nice, but it's up against an FCS team and a fellow cellar-dweller ACC team.

I think in year 4 with 3 recruiting years in place - 10 wins is a fair team goal. The things I mentioned is what makes this leap possible. I see it unfolding this way - this year and next 5 or 6 wins - year following, 8 wins - year 4,10 wins
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby GodofBeasts94 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:48 pm

Mike_S {l Wrote}:Like Teddy, I'm cautiously on board.

If he can keep things focused when the first significant adversity hits, and not let it snowball badly, I'll be all-in.

For the record I'm in on Adazio. Love what he's done already and give him huge props for righting a sinking ship. I'm also in on Bates. He is making stuff happen and has clearly re-energized the whole athletic department. Bravo!
GodofBeasts94
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium