Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:41 pm

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:I've never understood this Board's love affair with TOB. This is serious revisionist history. He's no better than Daz. Comparing records is stupid. The old Big East was weaker in football than the ACC in all of Addazio's years. Playing Rutgers and Temple as in-conference is a nice way to pad the stats. Then during the final years of TOB in the ACC, the ACC was weak like it is this year--Miami in down years, FSU during the end of Bowden, a Duke team that nobody wanted to play for, etc.

Once TOB was at NC State his results in the ACC were very similar to Addazio.

I don't know that anyone here loves Toby. I know I sure don't. I really don't care what Toby did or didn't do at NC State. But (IMHO) Toby was a much better coach than Addazio will ever be. And I don't think it is all that close.

What did I hate about Toby? I hated the same stuff we all hated, the WTF loss we got every year. I hated 1999 vs Miami (I hated every year vs Miami.) I hated the disciplinarian benching Green when BC played a #1 and undefeated Miami in 2001. I hated Toby's love affair with senior QBs (who should not have been playing) which resulted in needless losses. I hated Toby's "we are what we are" attitude. And most of all, I hated all his bitching and moaning about how hard and time consuming it was to roam all over New England, Ohio, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania to recruit his players. Just shut the fuck up about it coach, and do your job. He never did. We hated Toby because he disrespected his own employer, denigrated your alma mater to the media. BC was never anything more to him than just a job (a job he thought was beneath him.)

Even in all that hatred, Toby gave us much to like about him. The way I look at it is this: he saved the program that was a "ch" away from being SMU-ed in 1996. He gave Chris Hovan a reason NOT to transfer. He gave us Damien Woody. He gave us William Green. He gave us Dan Koppen. He gave us Herzlich. He gave us Kiwi, Raji, Ron Brace. He gave us Trueblood. He gave us Matt Ryan. He gave us a bowl win over Georgia. He gave us 5 wins over Notre Dame (including 4 wins in a row) plus an undefeated OOC record spanning a few seasons. He gave BC an 8-4 consistency that earned the school an early invite to join the ACC. He gave us 9 regular season wins each of his last two years with the program. He gave us 6-1 home record in 2005 and a 7-0 home record in 2006 (vs the ACC I might add.) And obviously, he gave us the bowlshit winning streak.

Daz hasn't really given us anything other than 5th year transfers and a boat load of excuses for team that is always "rebuilding." I certainly hope we reach his 7-5 plateau again this year but that remains to be seen. Toby spoke to the media with a medium of intelligence that we are certainly lacking in Sgt Slaughter.

Yes Matt, we all hated Toby. But it took Addazio 4 complete seasons to win as many ACC games as Toby won in 2. I don't think you can really compare these guys. Toby holds the all time coaching record at BC for most wins. In our lifetimes Matt, its not likely you or I will ever see anyone overcome that statistic.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:54 pm

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:I've never understood this Board's love affair with TOB. This is serious revisionist history.

You never understood it because it never existed. This boards very existence is borne from pure hatred of that day walking ginger quarter master. Frankly no one knows what you're talking about.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:55 pm

Oh and no space is a moron, ignore him.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:13 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Oh and no space is a moron, ignore him.

Have another drink, counselor. Oh and yeah, go Red Sox!
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:31 am

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:I've never understood this Board's love affair with TOB. This is serious revisionist history. He's no better than Daz. Comparing records is stupid. The old Big East was weaker in football than the ACC in all of Addazio's years. Playing Rutgers and Temple as in-conference is a nice way to pad the stats. Then during the final years of TOB in the ACC, the ACC was weak like it is this year--Miami in down years, FSU during the end of Bowden, a Duke team that nobody wanted to play for, etc.

yeah, this place hates Tobias and it’s an incredibly negative assessment of slaughter to suggest he is worse than tobias. the only step lower than that is the mad scientist that worked in his lab trying to find ways to destroy bc football forever. the students used to wear lab coats in honor of his stupidity and turrbleness
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:36 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Oh and no space is a moron, ignore him.

Have another drink, counselor. Oh and yeah, go Red Sox!

Wasn't drinking. You being a moron is res ipsa.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:23 am

How the fuck do you come here for several years and walk away thinking this is a TOB fansite?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:24 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:I've never understood this Board's love affair with TOB. This is serious revisionist history.

You never understood it because it never existed. This boards very existence is borne from pure hatred of that day walking ginger quarter master. Frankly no one knows what you're talking about.

well not this board, but semantics
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:00 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

well not this board, but semantics

correct. this board exists because every poster likes to look at weeners.

tcs existed because those posters hated tobias.

the old rivals site is in it's eleventy-billionth attempt at re-gentrifying itself. it might be the lamest thing i've ever seen and expect shirtless boy photos and hip fludity discussion within the next 3 months
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TontoKowalski on Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:03 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:correct. this board exists because every poster likes to look at weeners.

the old rivals site is in it's eleventy-billionth attempt at re-gentrifying itself. it might be the lamest thing i've ever seen and expect shirtless boy photos and hip fludity discussion within the next 3 months

This thread got stupid in a hurry (I don't mean your post). Truly amazes me the extent to which these boards are all Toyotas leased to senior citizens - the most routine event is subject to someone hitting the wrong pedal for a second and careening through the glass windows and plastic furniture of a bank branch.

EA still exists? Are any of the merrymen still alive?
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:15 am

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:correct. this board exists because every poster likes to look at weeners.

This thread got stupid in a hurry (I don't mean your post). Truly amazes me the extent to which these boards are all Toyotas leased to senior citizens - the most routine event is subject to someone hitting the wrong pedal for a second and careening through the glass windows and plastic furniture of a bank branch.

EA still exists? Are any of the merrymen still alive?

i was referring to eagleinsider - the scout site (which you should have known by me typing r-i-v-a-l-s). sorry for the confusion. i never visited eagleaction and never will
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TontoKowalski on Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:57 am

One of the merrymen lived or lives near you - iirc, he had profound health issues and bragged about being invited to Notre Dame alumni events. Boots? Gordie? Was that his screen name?

Have you ever encountered this person?
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:05 am

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:One of the merrymen lived or lives near you - iirc, he had profound health issues and bragged about being invited to Notre Dame alumni events. Boots? Gordie? Was that his screen name?

again, i never posted at ea; but there is a story of a used golf club salesman that lived in the tobaccoroad area. other than being a used golf salesman i believe it's also been posted here or at tcs that he had a bum ticker and there was another poster that was trying to line up the golf salesman's wife for a sympathy bang once the used golf club salesman died.

i do not know the screen names of any of these individuals or if they actually exist
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:48 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:One of the merrymen lived or lives near you - iirc, he had profound health issues and bragged about being invited to Notre Dame alumni events. Boots? Gordie? Was that his screen name?

again, i never posted at ea; but there is a story of a used golf club salesman that lived in the tobaccoroad area. other than being a used golf salesman i believe it's also been posted here or at tcs that he had a bum ticker and there was another poster that was trying to line up the golf salesman's wife for a sympathy bang once the used golf club salesman died.

i do not know the screen names of any of these individuals or if they actually exist

EagleWings was the used golf salesman. Wings also was briefly a writer for EA where he stalked Nate Funk after a Spring Game. I can't remember everything, but I believe he had some health issues and got divorced.

I think bootsconoli is the guy on an oxygen tank (I only think that because I think there was a fake poster somewhere by the name bootsisdead... or something like that).

I believe the joke was that Wings was moving in on boots' widow.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:36 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

EagleWings was the used golf salesman. Wings also was briefly a writer for EA where he stalked Nate Funk after a Spring Game. I can't remember everything, but I believe he had some health issues and got divorced.

I think bootsconoli is the guy on an oxygen tank (I only think that because I think there was a fake poster somewhere by the name bootsisdead... or something like that).

I believe the joke was that Wings was moving in on boots' widow.

Did he sell used balls, tees and apparel or just used clubs?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:54 pm

I don't know that anyone here loves Toby. I know I sure don't. I really don't care what Toby did or didn't do at NC State. But (IMHO) Toby was a much better coach than Addazio will ever be. And I don't think it is all that close.

What did I hate about Toby? I hated the same stuff we all hated, the WTF loss we got every year. I hated 1999 vs Miami (I hated every year vs Miami.) I hated the disciplinarian benching Green when BC played a #1 and undefeated Miami in 2001. I hated Toby's love affair with senior QBs (who should not have been playing) which resulted in needless losses. I hated Toby's "we are what we are" attitude. And most of all, I hated all his bitching and moaning about how hard and time consuming it was to roam all over New England, Ohio, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania to recruit his players. Just shut the fuck up about it coach, and do your job. He never did. We hated Toby because he disrespected his own employer, denigrated your alma mater to the media. BC was never anything more to him than just a job (a job he thought was beneath him.)

Even in all that hatred, Toby gave us much to like about him. The way I look at it is this: he saved the program that was a "ch" away from being SMU-ed in 1996. He gave Chris Hovan a reason NOT to transfer. He gave us Damien Woody. He gave us William Green. He gave us Dan Koppen. He gave us Herzlich. He gave us Kiwi, Raji, Ron Brace. He gave us Trueblood. He gave us Matt Ryan. He gave us a bowl win over Georgia. He gave us 5 wins over Notre Dame (including 4 wins in a row) plus an undefeated OOC record spanning a few seasons. He gave BC an 8-4 consistency that earned the school an early invite to join the ACC. He gave us 9 regular season wins each of his last two years with the program. He gave us 6-1 home record in 2005 and a 7-0 home record in 2006 (vs the ACC I might add.) And obviously, he gave us the bowlshit winning streak.

Daz hasn't really given us anything other than 5th year transfers and a boat load of excuses for team that is always "rebuilding." I certainly hope we reach his 7-5 plateau again this year but that remains to be seen. Toby spoke to the media with a medium of intelligence that we are certainly lacking in Sgt Slaughter.

Yes Matt, we all hated Toby. But it took Addazio 4 complete seasons to win as many ACC games as Toby won in 2. I don't think you can really compare these guys. Toby holds the all time coaching record at BC for most wins. In our lifetimes Matt, its not likely you or I will ever see anyone overcome that statistic.

So true.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:56 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:

So true.

Thank you
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:38 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:

So true.

Thank you

You 2 knobs can shut up.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:49 am

Hurry, hurry, give Addazio a 5 year extension before another down is played...or someone will steal BC's most successful coach evah!!!
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:08 pm

Yet another 7-6 season is still very much in play. Very much.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:09 am

Bump

Btw, we will never have as favorable schedule as this year under Daz. Next year we have @ND and @ Clemson. 0-2 off the bat. 7-3 for the rest if we’re lucky.

Lather, rinse, repeat. In year SEVEN.

GTFOMAM
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:27 am

wait we have 3 ooc p5 games next year? if he's hc there's your deadhorse talking point
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:33 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Bump

Btw, we will never have as favorable schedule as this year under Daz. Next year we have @ND and @ Clemson. 0-2 off the bat. 7-3 for the rest if we’re lucky.

Lather, rinse, repeat. In year SEVEN.

GTFOMAM

The favorable schedule, the acc having a really down year, heisman candidate RB, Oline returned intact, supposed nfl caliber DB's. Even with AJD being injured daz fucked this year up.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:59 am

If he can’t get more than 7 wins THIS year, with THIS schedule, and THIS team, he can’t ever do it.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:37 pm

I think there is next to no chance he gets fired, but also next to no chance he gets extended.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:17 pm

If they win next week, they will extend Addazio through 2022. It's not a lock, but his people are expected to come to BC looking for an extension after the season. After an eight win season, it is hard to see Leahy turning them down. He really likes Addazio. If they lose, the Jarmond will argue against it. Tough to know where Leahy would come down on it at that point.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:25 pm

Until I see otherwise my assumption is that all these discussions will be taking place after a 7-6 season
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:15 pm

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:If they win next week, they will extend Addazio through 2022. It's not a lock, but his people are expected to come to BC looking for an extension after the season. After an eight win season, it is hard to see Leahy turning them down. He really likes Addazio. If they lose, the Jarmond will argue against it. Tough to know where Leahy would come down on it at that point.

There will be no extensions forth-coming. The "extension" had to have been earned. No matter what happens on Saturday, Addazio has not earned it.

Just let the contract expire (Office Space style) after the 2020 season and be done with it.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:03 pm

Due to recruiting, I expect he will be extended regardless.
The buyout will be the thing that matters most. Hopefully, BC will learn their lesson here.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:58 pm

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:If they win next week, they will extend Addazio through 2022. It's not a lock, but his people are expected to come to BC looking for an extension after the season. After an eight win season, it is hard to see Leahy turning them down. He really likes Addazio. If they lose, the Jarmond will argue against it. Tough to know where Leahy would come down on it at that point.

There will be no extensions forth-coming. The "extension" had to have been earned. No matter what happens on Saturday, Addazio has not earned it.

Just let the contract expire (Office Space style) after the 2020 season and be done with it.

You're kind of stupid but I agree.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium