Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Postby EagleDave on Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:01 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:The schedule is soft enough and we will improve enough for Daz to get to 6-6. He'd be safe. Even with 5 wins, he would be safe. 4 wins and things get interesting. I think the earliest Ryan Day takes over is 2018.

If Day becomes the next HC just disband the program and call it a day.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby eagletx on Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:38 pm

There is not a whole lot different going into 2016 season as was the case going into this season...
Issue 1. Will a serviceable OL evolve?
You'd like to believe that with some experience, the OL would have to improve. But, there wasn't a lot to bank on, as the OL muddled all season, looking slow, confused, overmatched. Big question is whether the guys who saw playing time and return next year have what it will take to make the offense go...if not, we're back starting from scratch, with a staff that instills no confidence that they can coach these guys up. Face it, Addazio as a OL guy was expected to bring these guys along, and looked at how he failed.
Issue 2. Inexperience at QB. Does anyone still cling to illusion that any of the three guys who saw time after Wade injury are real, capable "dual threat"? Hopefully Wade shows he has it, and then stays healthy.
Issue 3. Despite wishful thinking, there wasn't any hard evidence that we have a receiver who can separate and catch a ball consistently, or escape coverage downfield, because we didn't have a QB post Wade injury who could throw the ball accurately downfield. So who knows. But you have to have some ability to throw and catch to keep defenses honest.
(New)issue 4. Inept offensive coaching. Anyone sold on idea that staff has what it takes to make significant, meaningful progress after witnessing what happened through 12 painful games this season, and the 128th ranked offense in FBS?
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:52 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Query: if Tyler Murphy doesn't transfer to BC, is Daz still the coach next year?

Yes. It's BC. El cheapo.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:04 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:NO, I'd love your take on this season. Given the expectations, this was the most disappointing season of my lifetime.

My overall take on this season is that it was abysmal.

I think BC outperformed expectations the last 2 years - had a really down year this year - and will rebound next year and beyond
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby StratEagle on Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:04 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:The schedule is soft enough and we will improve enough for Daz to get to 6-6. He'd be safe. Even with 5 wins, he would be safe. 4 wins and things get interesting. I think the earliest Ryan Day takes over is 2018.

If Day becomes the next HC just disband the program and call it a day.

Pun intended?
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:43 pm

2015 < 2016 < 2013 < 2014 < 2018 < 2017 < 2019 ...
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:18 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:Ultimately, the frustration comes from the mismanagement that led to close losses. 2 to Duke, 3 to Wake, 3 to Louisville, 3 to ND, and 3 to Cuse. Better in game coaching could have swung those games in our favor. Better OLine play could have swung those games in our favor. If Daz fixes either of those he will win 6 games next year. That will be enough for the BoT to keep him. I doubt we make another football HC hire before Leahy is gone.

How old is Leahy? Old enough to show up on TRES death pool team? At least old enough to "retire?" Although a man of the cloth and president of my Alma mater, I really don't care for the guy.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:41 pm

There is no way Daz survives at BC if he does not bring in an OC as good as Brown. As long as Daz is involved in the offense in any way he will be fired by the end of 2017. As long as Leahy is president BC will never be able to run a proper search committee to identify the best coach. He started off good by hiring JY and TOB, but since then it's been downhill.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:46 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:Ultimately, the frustration comes from the mismanagement that led to close losses. 2 to Duke, 3 to Wake, 3 to Louisville, 3 to ND, and 3 to Cuse. Better in game coaching could have swung those games in our favor. Better OLine play could have swung those games in our favor. If Daz fixes either of those he will win 6 games next year. That will be enough for the BoT to keep him. I doubt we make another football HC hire before Leahy is gone.

How old is Leahy? Old enough to show up on TRES death pool team? At least old enough to "retire?" Although a man of the cloth and president of my Alma mater, I really don't care for the guy.

He turns 68 after the end of the academic year. Monan stayed until he was 72. Gotta think a succession plan is at least being discussed. My guess is that he and Daz both leave by the 2017-18 academic year. Wonder if BC ends up with a non-Jesuit president, a la Marquette. Probably not, too high profile for the Jesuits.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:13 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:There is no way Daz survives at BC if he does not bring in an OC as good as Brown. As long as Daz is involved in the offense in any way he will be fired by the end of 2017. As long as Leahy is president BC will never be able to run a proper search committee to identify the best coach. He started off good by hiring JY and TOB, but since then it's been downhill.

BC wins the ACC in 2017. The D will be dominant. The offense, with a classic, dominant, veteran Daz OLine in front of a 2nd year QB with a veteran corps of backs just chews up time of possession and scores enough to win a bunch of 17-13 type games. Finish something like 12-1 but miss out on the playoffs. Daz gets extended to 2023.

Book it.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:28 pm

Not sure I agree. Win all 4 OOC and Wake Forest and you'll see record low attendance and apathy.

Next year is pretty much BCs last chance with me on football. 5 wins and retain Addazio and I'll never come back.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:30 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:There is no way Daz survives at BC if he does not bring in an OC as good as Brown. As long as Daz is involved in the offense in any way he will be fired by the end of 2017. As long as Leahy is president BC will never be able to run a proper search committee to identify the best coach. He started off good by hiring JY and TOB, but since then it's been downhill.

BC wins the ACC in 2017. The D will be dominant. The offense, with a classic, dominant, veteran Daz OLine in front of a 2nd year QB with a veteran corps of backs just chews up time of possession and scores enough to win a bunch of 17-13 type games. Finish something like 12-1 but miss out on the playoffs. Daz gets extended to 2023.

Book it.

No chance, Daz is dumb and plays way too many closes games with god awful teams.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:33 pm

The Trustees need to take over the day to day management of the athletic department. They need to form a trustee committee with a chairman that Bates will report to and take direction from. Leahy will have no involvement in the athletic department and he can focus on academics and fund raising. Athletics is to big of a business to keep letting the same people make all of the decesions. BC cannot be a bottom dweller in the ACC. BC cannot have half full stadiums and declining season ticket sales year after year after year.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:51 am

Most are overestimating Leahy's day to day involvement in sports. Bates -- like Gene -- has a lot of autonomy. Leahy is obviously involved in the big projects like the master plan and the indoor practice facility and the big hires, but Bates is Addazio's boss. Even admissions battles are handled at a much lower level than Leahy. Unless there is another conference shakeup or Bates leaves, Leahy has made his final big sports decisions at BC.

Gene pissed off enough people that he ran out of protection with Spaz. No one is going to force Bates to fire Addazio next year. If any pressure comes it will be the BOT, not Leahy. Just look how the Donahue waffling happened.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:38 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:The Trustees need to take over the day to day management of the athletic department. They need to form a trustee committee with a chairman that Bates will report to and take direction from. Leahy will have no involvement in the athletic department and he can focus on academics and fund raising. Athletics is to big of a business to keep letting the same people make all of the decesions. BC cannot be a bottom dweller in the ACC. BC cannot have half full stadiums and declining season ticket sales year after year after year.

You're not getting it - The people on this board are the outliers. After the Gene/Spaz shitshow, no one else cares about BC sports.

What Trustee(s) do you think cares about BC sports? Chair John Fish, the Bowdoin College grad? He was busy with Boston 2020. Unless things get to the level of true embarrassment (scandal level), the BOT doesn't care. The school is doing great. The $1.5 billion target for the Light the World campaign will be met by the end of the academic year. Best academic & financial #'s ever. Getting more kids from the growing Catholic population in the Southeast - the real reason for joining the ACC.

Telling - athletics has the lowest fundraising goal in the campaign, but is the only focus area where fundraising has already exceeded the goal. The BOT's going to say "What problem?"
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:14 am

BostonCollege1 is right. The only measure by which BC is worse off is sports competitiveness, but even then I'd argue BC was pretty bad across all sports before the ACC (I remember when baseball was a place to hand out extra scholies to hockey players). It was just the big three that we were decent at pre-ACC and (with the exception of hockey) are worse at now.
Leahy and the BOT are way more concerned with trying to boost the yield b/c every Harvard applicant is making BC their fall back. The only way they shake things up is a redux of Gene or Henning -- that is, someone does stupid sh*t that embarrasses the school and students.
That said, my UNC loving brother in law again is trotting out the "BC's worst move was going to the ACC" argument. The Skinner/Jags era was a nice respite from that crap.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:29 am

If you want to see the effect of college sports on academics, BCs applications have dropped dramatically recently. Having your school being talked about week after week in the media helps spread your name.

BC sucking at sports has nothing to do with the ACC. BC couldn't win the WCC in basketball. It's called hire better coaches and recruit better.

I'm getting to the point where I'm about done with BC Athletics. These events just simply haven't been enjoyable to watch or attend in almost 10 years. The teams sucking has a big role in it and as long as Bates continues to hire crappy coaches it will continue. If you think firing Daz or JC will help it won't, they'll just hire some new shitty coach.

I'll give football another year as I think there's a 5% chance Daz turns this around. JC was screwed before he ever signed the contract. BC hockey is like Duke basketball, I don't think even Bates can screw it up.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:54 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:If you want to see the effect of college sports on academics, BCs applications have dropped dramatically recently. Having your school being talked about week after week in the media helps spread your name.

BC sucking at sports has nothing to do with the ACC. BC couldn't win the WCC in basketball. It's called hire better coaches and recruit better.

I'm getting to the point where I'm about done with BC Athletics. These events just simply haven't been enjoyable to watch or attend in almost 10 years. The teams sucking has a big role in it and as long as Bates continues to hire crappy coaches it will continue. If you think firing Daz or JC will help it won't, they'll just hire some new shitty coach.

I'll give football another year as I think there's a 5% chance Daz turns this around. JC was screwed before he ever signed the contract. BC hockey is like Duke basketball, I don't think even Bates can screw it up.

Let's not go double full retard. The application thing has a pretty clear cut reason due to a change in application requirements.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:55 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

With the current athletic facilities, BC is limited in who it can hire and recruit. Jesuits are cheap, and we are so far behind the times it is absurd.

That said, I'm with you on likely needing a break from BC hoop and football. This hasn't been fun in a long time and I don't see much to be optimistic about.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:37 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:If you want to see the effect of college sports on academics, BCs applications have dropped dramatically recently. Having your school being talked about week after week in the media helps spread your name.

Let's not go double full retard. The application thing has a pretty clear cut reason due to a change in application requirements.

They make the application more difficult or additional essays? I didn't go there so couldn't care less about this aspect.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:39 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

With the current athletic facilities, BC is limited in who it can hire and recruit. Jesuits are cheap, and we are so far behind the times it is absurd.

That said, I'm with you on likely needing a break from BC hoop and football. This hasn't been fun in a long time and I don't see much to be optimistic about.

If someone new took over and said they were going to pump a bunch of $ into athletics, fired Bates and hired someone reasonable as AD then I'd feel differently. Otherwise BC sports, outside of catching up with friends, is a waste of time
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:41 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

They make the application more difficult or additional essays? I didn't go there so couldn't care less about this aspect.

I think they moved away from the common application (or required additional essays for it). Whatever it was, BC talked openly about why they were doing it and understood the numbers impact that would go along with it.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 31southst on Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:07 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I think they moved away from the common application (or required additional essays for it). Whatever it was, BC talked openly about why they were doing it and understood the numbers impact that would go along with it.

I believe they added an essay and, as you said, they specifically did so because they were getting too many applications from people who weren't really interested but checked another box on the common app because why not.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby StratEagle on Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:17 am

This was 3 years ago now. They added a supplemental essay to the application when there was none before. Pretty much everybody who didn't really care could throw in an application with ease before the addition. Why not. It obviously decreased overall applications, but I believe they've been recovering in the few years after and yield is significantly better.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:21 am

BC still gets over 10,000 more applications than Notre Dame
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:18 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:The Trustees need to take over the day to day management of the athletic department. They need to form a trustee committee with a chairman that Bates will report to and take direction from. Leahy will have no involvement in the athletic department and he can focus on academics and fund raising. Athletics is to big of a business to keep letting the same people make all of the decesions. BC cannot be a bottom dweller in the ACC. BC cannot have half full stadiums and declining season ticket sales year after year after year.

FILL IN THE CORNERS.

ps - your retarded
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:33 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

FILL IN THE CORNERS.

ps - your retarded

he might be retarded but he's not all wrong.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:47 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

FILL IN THE CORNERS.

ps - your retarded

but his ideas and discussions are about as valid as suggesting they go beck in time in their delorean to bring back the 1992 "dream team" to play for boston college. those guys wouldn't be eligible to play in college so it would just be dumb to suggest
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:44 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

FILL IN THE CORNERS.

ps - your retarded

Hire someone from the business world to run the Athletic Department. These guys who are ADs are generally not very smart and don't get it.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:53 pm

OK, I'll bite. Do any of the other ACC schools use this management model for their athletics departments? And how do you think this would make any substantive difference to the product for football/basketball? (The current administrative/management structure seems to work ok for hockey, no?)
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium