Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Addazio will turn out to be a great hire/Daz at ESPN Day

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:42 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:based on the other comments herein it sounds like the chat was either interesting or boring.

Both

i now assume no space or talon will say "neither"

I'm just curious why it had to be interesting when boring was perfectly capable of handling it.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TontoKowalski on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:45 pm

Every now and then, when I read too much stupid shit on Internet message boards from the same kind of poster, I remind myself that I might be talking to the people about whom these sorts of articles are written:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/n-h-man-lost-life-savings-playing-carnival-game-article-1.1331161

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prudence/2011/08/take_my_wife_please.html

It helps.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:47 pm

I sent in...

Frank from Hingham - In the past, I sacrificed job performance to be more involved with my son's baseball team. What is like to be able to coach your son and work at the same time?

Gene from Wellesley - Can you say a word or two about Ryan Day? He's seems like a wonderful young man and a tremendous coach.

They were not answered.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:11 pm

I'm surprised they get so many Qs that they can skip so many.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby talon on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:48 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I'm surprised they get so many Qs that they can skip so many.

I'm surprised they didn't let in any Tebow Qs. Wasn't he brought into Bristol to talk about Tebow?
talon
Cushing Hall

Re: Adaziani's ESPN Day

Postby Reverend Mike on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:46 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:There's a chat?

I just submitted a question. I always try to submit questions that find the delicate balance of a) being relevant enough that it might be chosen, b) is just asshatted enough, c) contains at least one insider reference to this board, and d) is well-written and polite. We shall see. I've never had a question chosen by any of these ESPN types. I think this is a good one though and is directed at recruiting, so there's a chance.

That formula was worked to perfection by Reverend Mike on November 11, 2010 for a 3pm GDF chat.
http://www.bceagles.com/chat/110810aaa.html
Greenarthur (Saugus): You're doing a great job Coach. With the recent upswing in the team's performance, any thoughts on extending Coach Spaz's contract?
Gene DeFilippo: I work with Coach Spaz on a daily basis and I can tell you that he is one fine football coach. This team continues to improve every week and there's still 25% of the season left to be played.

And look how that worked out for us 1-month, 9-days later...
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/ncf/ne ... id=5938840

[laughs] "Mother-in-law...cadillac...cliff..."[shrugs, cries]

Really didn't think I would fish my wish with that one. Unfortunately prescient.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:50 pm

:kudos to whomever got the Ryan Day resume question in.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby BCdee on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:53 pm

I thought the Dazzler did a really great job today. I especially liked the College Football Live segment. It's so nice to be excited for BC football again!! :cheer :elephant :cheer :elephant :cheer
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:13 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}::kudos to whomever got the Ryan Day resume question in.

That one was actually me too.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:04 pm

Is their a chat log for those that had to work today?

SHOW ME THE CHAT LOGS COWARDS
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:06 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Is their a chat log for those that had to work today?

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/ ... ve-addazio
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:01 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:Is their a chat log for those that had to work today?

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/ ... ve-addazio

I like how the chat started serious before diverting to EO hijinks.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:09 pm

i view it more as a sign of the sad state of affairs that the real questions and the hijinks questions were about 50/50 and the real 50% seemed to be asked by two guys.

said differently, if a college football team sucks but no one is there to care, will it make a sound?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:15 pm

Also like the quality trolling of yukon by steve in fort worth
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:05 pm

Steve in Fort Worth did a fine job today. I'm definitely disappointed that arm strength isn't more of a priority; it was a staple of Al Davis' recent Raider teams.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:39 pm

Definitely cool seeing Addazio all around ESPN today. I sure hope he gets the wins to back this up because Addazio thus far is doing all the right things.

MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Thu May 02, 2013 8:25 am

Just realized we missed an opportunity to ask what he plans to do about the marauding bears near Alumni Stadium.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu May 02, 2013 12:54 pm

LOL. They must have been desperate for questions.

IB (Phoenix)

Have you given any thought to recruiting older players, perhaps transfers who would be men among boys?
Steve Addazio (2:14 PM)

Obviously we evaluate all student athletes in the recruiting process, being rising seniors in high school, being whoever else might come our way.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby NJM89 on Thu May 02, 2013 1:29 pm

Actually talking about BC instead of Tebow.

NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Thu May 02, 2013 2:21 pm

One thing I keep reading about Daz is about his Rah-Rah schtick but his inability to back it up. Let's hope that was circumstancial, and not reality.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby MrAwesomeII on Fri May 03, 2013 2:47 pm

Gentlemen, it is time for me to weigh in. Let's get right to the point. BC is on the precipice of being a national powerhouse. The recruiting that Steve Addazio is doing could lead to a top 10 class, and like Coach says, why the hell not? World class school in a world class city.

And, count me in for next year too. By that I mean I am now predicting a 9 win season in '13. Yes, that's right.

All of you know me here. I talk softly and carry a big stick. Up to now, Ive remained mostly silent as I did not want to prematurely speak and wreak havoc with your heads and with the BC markets in general. That ends today.
MrAwesomeII
Carney Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Fri May 03, 2013 2:49 pm

MrAwesomeII {l Wrote}:Gentlemen, it is time for me to weigh in. Let's get right to the point. BC is on the precipice of being a national powerhouse. The recruiting that Steve Addazio is doing could lead to a top 10 class, and like Coach says, why the hell not? World class school in a world class city.

And, count me in for next year too. By that I mean I am now predicting a 9 win season in '13. Yes, that's right.

All of you know me here. I talk softly and carry a big stick. Up to now, Ive remained mostly silent as I did not want to prematurely speak and wreak havoc with your heads and with the BC markets in general. That ends today.

You should post this on your jersey guy website. Or maybe you already did.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri May 03, 2013 3:13 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
MrAwesomeII {l Wrote}:Gentlemen, it is time for me to weigh in. Let's get right to the point. BC is on the precipice of being a national powerhouse. The recruiting that Steve Addazio is doing could lead to a top 10 class, and like Coach says, why the hell not? World class school in a world class city.

You should post this on your jersey guy website.

LOL!
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Re: Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Postby NotoriousOrange on Thu May 16, 2013 10:00 am

http://bcgavel.com/2013/05/11/backseat- ... ge-sports/

Worth reading if only for the highlighted lines:

"One of the first things new Athletic Director Brad Bates has stressed in his brief tenure is the need for transparency from the Boston College Athletic Department. His highly publicized strategic plan will be released within a few months, much to the delight of BC Eagles fans.

This is inversely different to what Eagles fans were accustomed to under former Athletic Director Gene Defilippo, who was known for keeping the Athletic Department under lock and key. The football coaches the two AD’s hired mirror their employer’s beliefs as well. Former football coach Frank Spaziani was particular about the privacy of his team, Spaz’s trademark on the phrase “respect their privacy” is still pending."
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat May 18, 2013 2:35 am

http://bostoncollege.scout.com/a.z?s=165&p=9&c=8&toinid=-1&sspid=72&yr=2014

Okay.

When 4 of the top 5 players in the state of Massachusetts ALL commit to BC before they even start their senior season, it is then that I start to jump on the Addazio bandwagon.

Daz, please, don't break our hearts....
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby NotoriousOrange on Sat May 18, 2013 12:27 pm

Copied from BCI

Evan (Boston)
Hey coach graduated from BC in ‘09. I’ve been following BC football since Tom Coughlin coached here in the 90’s. I have never seen the enthusiasm you have brought in a BC coach before. What have you done in recruiting to have the early success you have had? What are you going to do to capture the attention of the average Boston sports fan?

Steve Addazio.
It starts with hard work. From the whole staff being totally committed. Our No. 1 priority is recruiting. My job is to drive our staff in recruiting. Our staff loves recruiting. It’s a total committment from our AD to our president to myself and our staff. We understand how important it is to bring great student athletes to BC.

Rob (New Orleans)
How do you feel about recruiting for 2014 so far? Any challenges you didn’t expect when selling BC?

Steve Addazio:
I found it to be great recruiting here at BC. What’s not to be great? You’re talking about elite education, one of the most beautiful campuses in America. you’re talking about going to school in Boston. A Jesuit education. A family atmosphere. A rich tradition. Just two years ago, we came off of 12 consecutive bowl games, 8 straight wins. There’s an awful lot to talk about at BC.

http://www.bcinterruption.com/2013/5/17 ... on-college
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Tue May 21, 2013 3:24 pm

In defense of GDF (God help me), he did want to hire Adazzio way back when, it was just he couldn't make the interviews because of surgery, and Gene had to snatch up Spaz before he got hired elsewhere, or whatever the excuse was.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed May 22, 2013 8:43 pm

Here's a pic that Addazio should have made into postcards for all recruits:

Just saw a Mark Herzlich instagram pic of Matty Ice holding up a Luke Kuechly jersey while at a Tom Coughlin charity event. Can't move...too many BC Guyisms.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue May 28, 2013 3:02 pm

Good signs

http://www.accsports.com/teams/boston-c ... rce=feedly

CHESTNUT HILL – Steve Addazio hasn’t coached a single game at Boston College yet. Heck, he hasn’t even coached the team through a summer practice.
But despite the relatively short time Addazio has been on the job, he has hit the ground running, changing many things at BC. To say that Addazio is off to a quick start reversing the losing culture and attitude that has been prevalent at the Heights over the last few seasons is an understatement.
With only one session of spring practice under his belt, Addazio has the Eagles believing that they can be a winning team in the ACC this season, even though they won just two games overall last year.

“There’s a phrase running through my mind that I heard in years past,” running back Andre Williams said. “The phrase is that if we worked hard and come out Saturday, we will throw it up in the air and see what we got. Maybe we will win and maybe we won’t. There was a lot of ‘if we,’ ‘maybe,’ ‘lucky,’ and it wasn’t really a message like, ‘Yeah, we are about to go out and win this game.’
“(Offensive coordinator Ryan) Day and Coach Addazio have a poise and confidence about them. They are emotional people, and I think their character is starting to engulf the entire team.”

Teammate Al Louis-Jean, BC’s starting cornerback, had similar positive things to say about the new coaching staff.
“They all love football, and they have all the right ideas to move us forward as a football team,” Louis-Jean said. “They all are great coaches with great attitudes. They coach with intensity and bring a lot to the table. When coaches are like that, it’s better for the coaches and players coming up with the product to win football games.”
While confidence was clearly a big reason why the team had a different swagger this past April, that alone isn’t going to turn around a program. At the end of the day, it comes down to on-the-field performance, and quite frankly, the program has been horrible recently in that aspect. Aside from creating a new winning attitude, the staff has put an emphasis on doing the small things correctly.
“They say losing is unacceptable, and it’s not just losing,” Williams said. “If something isn’t right, then it isn’t right, and we are going to fix it before the end of practice. It’s black and white, and there’s no gray area. It was hard for some people to swallow, and it was an adjustment and a transition, but when you are coming off of a two-win season, there has to be an aggressive takeover. They know what they are walking into, and they are addressing it the right way.”..............

Williams also said that the new staff is putting players in a position to succeed. “I think the coaching staff now sees what they have, and they know who they need to put where to make us successful, and I’m excited about it,” Williams said. “I think the main reason is the coaching staff is exuding confidence, and that in itself gives me confidence.” ..........
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Wed May 29, 2013 1:05 pm

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Good signs

http://www.accsports.com/teams/boston-c ... rce=feedly

CHESTNUT HILL – Steve Addazio hasn’t coached a single game at Boston College yet. Heck, he hasn’t even coached the team through a summer practice.
But despite the relatively short time Addazio has been on the job, he has hit the ground running, changing many things at BC. To say that Addazio is off to a quick start reversing the losing culture and attitude that has been prevalent at the Heights over the last few seasons is an understatement.
With only one session of spring practice under his belt, Addazio has the Eagles believing that they can be a winning team in the ACC this season, even though they won just two games overall last year.

“There’s a phrase running through my mind that I heard in years past,” running back Andre Williams said. “The phrase is that if we worked hard and come out Saturday, we will throw it up in the air and see what we got. Maybe we will win and maybe we won’t. There was a lot of ‘if we,’ ‘maybe,’ ‘lucky,’ and it wasn’t really a message like, ‘Yeah, we are about to go out and win this game.’
“(Offensive coordinator Ryan) Day and Coach Addazio have a poise and confidence about them. They are emotional people, and I think their character is starting to engulf the entire team.”

Teammate Al Louis-Jean, BC’s starting cornerback, had similar positive things to say about the new coaching staff.
“They all love football, and they have all the right ideas to move us forward as a football team,” Louis-Jean said. “They all are great coaches with great attitudes. They coach with intensity and bring a lot to the table. When coaches are like that, it’s better for the coaches and players coming up with the product to win football games.”
While confidence was clearly a big reason why the team had a different swagger this past April, that alone isn’t going to turn around a program. At the end of the day, it comes down to on-the-field performance, and quite frankly, the program has been horrible recently in that aspect. Aside from creating a new winning attitude, the staff has put an emphasis on doing the small things correctly.
“They say losing is unacceptable, and it’s not just losing,” Williams said. “If something isn’t right, then it isn’t right, and we are going to fix it before the end of practice. It’s black and white, and there’s no gray area. It was hard for some people to swallow, and it was an adjustment and a transition, but when you are coming off of a two-win season, there has to be an aggressive takeover. They know what they are walking into, and they are addressing it the right way.”..............

Williams also said that the new staff is putting players in a position to succeed. “I think the coaching staff now sees what they have, and they know who they need to put where to make us successful, and I’m excited about it,” Williams said. “I think the main reason is the coaching staff is exuding confidence, and that in itself gives me confidence.” ..........

How come no one has ever talked about this Andre Williams kid before? It sounds like he has the right attitude, but is he a good player? I assume he was a transfer who redshirted last year. Is there any potential there? Hopefully he can find a way to contribute and get on the field.
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium