Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Postby Cadillac90 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:04 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:Are you folks that desperate for some semblance of winning football that you're willing to see what Addazio can do next year? That is sad. I'll tell you what he'll do next year...6-6 or maybe 7-5. He is a horrible coach plain and simple. 5 or 6 games don't make a career. You can easily look at these last 5 wins and explain a lot of that success away. What has Addazio done over the previous 4.5 years to prove otherwise? Okay, he has been a decent recruiter but he's also failed miserably at developing a quarterback because of moves like Towles. Also don't forget the guy's in game mentality that he displayed during last year's championship game. Do you think that has changed? That is part of his philosophy, leopard and spots. I hate the guy and to him I say.... :74

You can explain wins away, but you can't explain away a complete change in philosophy that led to a series of curbstompings over conference opponents. To ignore that or compare it to previous runs of success largely built on weak OOC schedules is simply being ignorant for ignorance's sake. And frankly, I think the guy is an idiot, but I don't think he was calling the gameday shots for most of the past 6 weeks, and as long as he is not calling the gameday shots, he's a pretty good coach. Players like him and play hard, even though his shtick annoys us, and the recruiting success has been documented. And he works hard and is pretty good on TV when he is not ranting at a ref (of which he has done less this season).

Okay. Let me know what you are thinking when they finish next year at 6-6.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:04 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I also think you need to throw QB in there with kicker in the recruiting failures. Excluding Rettig, he's gone to 5th years twice in 4 years, and had a third year where he had one QB. Even this year, with only two QBs, one of whom was a RS-F, that were remotely close to known commodities in year 5 of the program, is not a great scenario.

Otherwise agree. Also think Daz has been able to get two things no other BC coach has been able to recruit with any level of success - fast WRs and athletic DBs.

There is some question whether the DBs are a product of Daz or Brown, since everyone currently contributing was recruited while Brown was still here (I think).

In fairness, Moore, Yiadom, Denis and Harris are good enough to keep most freshmen and sophomores off the field. But Cheevers has played very well of late. I'm guessing we are going to be happy with the play of Sebastian, Muse, Stewart et. al when they actually need to see the field.

the db turnaround over the past couple of years has been pretty crazy.
2016 simmons drafted, now starting for broncos
2017 john johnson drafted, now starting for rams as a rookie & graded by pff as a top 10 rookie
before those 2 only 2 in the secondary had been drafted in the 2000s

and this year kam moore allowed the fewest yards per target in the acc
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:09 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:Are you folks that desperate for some semblance of winning football that you're willing to see what Addazio can do next year? That is sad. I'll tell you what he'll do next year...6-6 or maybe 7-5. He is a horrible coach plain and simple. 5 or 6 games don't make a career. You can easily look at these last 5 wins and explain a lot of that success away. What has Addazio done over the previous 4.5 years to prove otherwise? Okay, he has been a decent recruiter but he's also failed miserably at developing a quarterback because of moves like Towles. Also don't forget the guy's in game mentality that he displayed during last year's championship game. Do you think that has changed? That is part of his philosophy, leopard and spots. I hate the guy and to him I say.... :74

You can explain wins away, but you can't explain away a complete change in philosophy that led to a series of curbstompings over conference opponents. To ignore that or compare it to previous runs of success largely built on weak OOC schedules is simply being ignorant for ignorance's sake. And frankly, I think the guy is an idiot, but I don't think he was calling the gameday shots for most of the past 6 weeks, and as long as he is not calling the gameday shots, he's a pretty good coach. Players like him and play hard, even though his shtick annoys us, and the recruiting success has been documented. And he works hard and is pretty good on TV when he is not ranting at a ref (of which he has done less this season).

Okay. Let me know what you are thinking when they finish next year at 6-6.

That's a bold prediction Cotton. One utterly irrelevant to the point.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:10 am

Oh, and

09/01 - UMass
09/08 - Holy Cross
09/22 - at Purdue
09/29 - Temple
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:21 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:Okay. Let me know what you are thinking when they finish next year at 6-6.

We have an official "Fire Dazoo" thread where everyone was just as sure that we'd be 3-9 right now as you are we'll be 6-6 next year. In my opinion, 6-6 is a terminable offense in Year 6 with an easy schedule.. All I'm saying is that I think Daz has done enough to warrant being given the chance to show he can do better than a minimum of six losses each and every year.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:23 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:Okay. Let me know what you are thinking when they finish next year at 6-6.

We have an official "Fire Dazoo" thread where everyone was just as sure that we'd be 3-9 as you are we'll be 6-6. In my opinion, 6-6 next year is terminable offense. Most here would likely agree. All I'm saying is that I think Daz has done enough to warrant being given the chance to show he can do better than 6 losses each year.

I would agree and add that the past 6 weeks have (largely) felt different and for the first time made me think there was some possibility he might be able to accomplish more than 7-5. This is a new development that I have not thought since season 1 or 2.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:23 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

i've nowaisted a few of the last 6 weeks of games, but didn't we jump out to sizable leads in most of the games other than rcc? i think that's where moj and teddy's comments about the heinzman's stupidity comes in at full bore. when the team is winning, he's happy to let his oc play football likes it's been played post techmo bowl... but once those scores are a little too close for his thin skinned liking he interjects himself with the super successful jump pass/let a rb throw it type stupidity.

so, as long as we can get ahead early, ts slaughter will be fine because he will just be the asshole on the sidelines cursing at the refs and scratching his junk. once that dominance fades, then back the fuck up, sister because the daz-man will be there to shit things up

edit - i guess louisville is somewhat of an anomaly to my postulate but i would say that's the exception that proves the rule.

also, fuck daz right in his thin skinned ass. i don't like him, never have and never will
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Cadillac90 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:30 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Oh, and

09/01 - UMass
09/08 - Holy Cross
09/22 - at Purdue
09/29 - Temple

3-1 and then a 3-5 ACC record.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:32 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Oh, and

09/01 - UMass
09/08 - Holy Cross
09/22 - at Purdue
09/29 - Temple

3-1 and then a 3-5 ACC record.

Okay. Dillon, Hilliman, Brown and the line would have to regress a ton for that to be possible, but if it happens, he should be fired immediately. I see no way they should lose any of those 4 games, or do worse than 4-4 in the conference.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TontoKowalski on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:40 am

One of the salient characteristics of being a fan during the reign of Ginger O'Jortsihan was the annual argument about The Hen's coaching skills - the Merrymen always insisted on a mythology where one season, the stars would align, and this once-in-a-lifetime druidic alignment of the stars and planets was the most BC fans could ever hope for. Whereas the majority of posters who formed this website applied proper measures of skepticism to the results, and gradually came to see TOB's seasons for what they were - high to middlin', with one massive WTF accident sharting out of the underpants every season, typically at the worst possible time.

On the one hand, this made us a little jaded; on the other, this website's fans self-selected for being pretty good at identifying patterns in coaches. There's a pattern here, and while we're on the upswing now, there is no chance - zero, none, zilch -- that this chrome-domed fuckstick doesn't oscillate back towards the worst tendencies he has already displayed, likely during or at a key stretch of a season. It's easy to be awesome when things are awesome - Daz sucks at being awesome then things are headed into the toilet.

Daz' finest hour was threatening Tom Cruise with having to fly a cargo plane full of rubber dogshit out of Hong Kong - all his performances have been downhill since then.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:50 am

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:then things are headed into the toilet.

And you would know better than any of us.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:55 am

Daz will perpetually be a 7-win coach. I want to believe otherwise, but his track record over the past 5 seasons is what it is. I am impressed with his recruiting, but I don't think it is at a level that makes him irreplaceable.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:39 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Daz will perpetually be a 7-win coach. I want to believe otherwise, but his track record over the past 5 seasons is what it is.

This is what I believed, and probably still believe. That said, if they play like they did 5 of the last 6 games for a full season, they win a lot more that 7. Question is what you make of the Rolly Clown Car College game. If you believe it proves he will always pull that shit a few times a year, even when the team is rolling, or as TRE does, that it demonstrates that even though he may have changed, it was only in a frontrunning capacity, then yes, we're stuck with 6-6, 7-5, maybe 8-4. I choose to cautiously think that the dumbass is smart enough to see how successful things were and stop interposing Hilliman jump passes on 4th downs in games they should win. I am also certain, however, that unbridled walrus style optimism will result in the occasional kick in the nuts, TOB style.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:43 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:...Daz' finest hour was threatening Tom Cruise with having to fly a cargo plane full of rubber dogshit out of Hong Kong - all his performances have been downhill since then.

while sgt. slaughter is a better dazzelganger , the james tolkan reference is a good one although more for back to the future than for top gun

it's just that little big of hair

if he'd worn a homosexual moustache in any of his movies... it would be a tighter fit. until then, slaughter it is

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TontoKowalski on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:51 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}: if they play like they did 5 of the last 6 games for a full season, they win a lot more that 7.

...and if my grandma had balls, she'd be my grandpa.

(I like you teddy - always have - we will see soon enough how good he is)
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:59 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:...(I like you teddy - always have...)

are you two gonna fuck now?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:59 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}: if they play like they did 5 of the last 6 games for a full season, they win a lot more that 7.

...and if my grandma had balls, Foot would fuck her she'd be my grandpa.

Fixed
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:29 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:

5 of 6 with 4 curbstompings starts to become a decent sample size.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:39 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:There are a lot of similarities between Daz and TOB. Among them is a faction that believes that anyone would be better than Chris Crane. Daz has a solid group of supporters, but none of them believes he walks-on-water like Tobyites did.

Daz is an idiot. He has difficulty multitasking. As situations become more pressured, his considerable intellectual shortcomings become more pronounced. As a result, he is one of the worst time managers in the sport. This incapacity to process information, also prompts the unhinged outbursts we've seen on the sidelines. Are these tantrums more or less embarrassing than the utter detachment displayed from the grass-picker? I think there is merit to those who say that his gameday behavior and his stupidity accompanied with his terrible Conference Record and middling overall success through 5 years warrants termination.

However, Daz inherited a freaking disaster of a program. Spaz (as we all know) completely destroyed a program that had won the ACC Atlantic 2 years in a row. It wasn't enough that he tore down what was built, he was given an additional 2 years to salt the earth. It was going to take his successor many years to stabilize a program that was essentially moving up from the MAC (the level Spaz recruited for 4 years) to the ACC. Only a truly inspired hire would have been able to do so in 3 years (and he likely would leave before the job was completed). Daz, with all his faults, has rebuilt the talent on the roster such that there is talent and depth at each position (except kicker). This has been proven based upon the team not falling a part (actually improving) as back-ups have had to step into major roles due to an unprecedented number of injuries. Daz should also be credited with culling together excellent coaching staffs each year (that's a skill unto itself that many take for granted). So, I think there is merit to those who say that he has done enough to be comfortable in his future at BC.

Personally, while I think BC can do MUCH better, I also think BC can do worse. Given the current administration, I hold no hope that BC has the ability to make good coaching hires. Perhaps, I will feel differently once I see what Marty does with Men's Basketball, but, until proven otherwise, I will assume that Leahy would pervert the selection. Accordingly, I am somewhat relieved that Daz was able to win enough to make a firing unnecessary. Even if I had the slightest hope BC would make a competent hiring decision, I dispassionately believe that Daz has done enough to be given a chance to coach this team next year (which I view as his best chance to break his well-established ceiling). As we mock Tennessee, TAMU and ASU fans for their unrealistic expectations, the same could be said of BC fans who fired a coach after 4 bowls in 5 years. Combine that with the glut of open positions and the financial restraints we'd face due to Daz's buyout, I think it is in the long-term best interest of the program to stay the course. Now, that doesn't mean I'd extend the fool... or prevent him from leaving should another program unlikely come calling. Just saying that sometimes inertia isn't all that bad.

This is my thinking exactly. Well put.

My naive optimism still thinks it's possible we see BC go toe-to-toe with Clemson, FSU and Louisville on an annual basis, with an end to the 0-3 sweep seasons and maybe, just maybe, one 2-1 year where we make the ACCCG. Still haven't seen Daz coach a full and deep roster, with an offense capable of both running and throwing the ball. Next year will really be the first time we see that with Daz. Will know more then.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:36 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:

So we should ignore the 0-10 ACC home record dating back to 2015 or was that not a big enough sample size?
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:44 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:

So we should ignore the 0-10 ACC home record dating back to 2015 or was that not a big enough sample size?

I missed where people ignore that.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:49 pm

Addazio has done some good things beyond just recruiting to show that he has some CEO type qualities to build a long-running winner. He bullied Bates into building the easiest P5 schedule in CFB where we play Kansas and Purdue and anyone who was bad when we signed the deal. Those padded wins help perception. He jettisoned dead weight coaches that weren't pulling their weight on the recruiting trail like McGowan and Albert. Maybe he realizes that to win he is not going to X&O anyone, so he needs as much talent as possible. He has brought in Paul P to be a much needed and trusted consigliere. Now Paul P is still too conservative and stuck in the olden days, but at least he can help manage a clock or decide when to decline a penalty. If Paul P is around in 2015, I doubt we screw up the end of the Wake game.

But I still don't trust him to not screw up the offense. He meddles now and we've had enough low scoring games since Day left to show that Addazio is a major challenge in that area. I also fear what happens when Reid retires. So far turnover between coordinators under Addazio hasn't been easy or clean. We struggled this year as we moved away from Brown stuff to a simpler Reid system.

His ceiling may be higher than 7 wins, but I don't see him ever winning the division. To do so he would need to accumulate a lot more talent or start rolling the dice a little more as a game manager.
Last edited by ATLeagle on Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:00 pm

I'm not saying Addazio is a great coach, but he deserves a lot of credit taking over the dumpsterfire Spaz left behind and getting BC back to having an ACC roster. It would have been very easy with a bad hire for BC to fall like what happened to Rutgers or even Syracuse who now hasn't made a bowl in 4 straight years. I also give Addazio credit that the team plays hard for him and never quit when times were tough.

I'm not satisfied with 7 or 8 wins in the future, but given where we came from I'll take the TOB-level stability for now that at least makes me optimistic that BC can go back to ACC championships in the near future even if it isn't Addazio that does it. This season also feels a bit different than the previous seven win seasons with Daz. 3 of our 4 ACC wins we simply annihilated the opponent and looked good doing it--with several starters out from injuries. I'm willing to see what happens next year, when BC should have a very talented and healthy roster.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:52 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:But I still don't trust him to not screw up the offense. He meddles now and we've had enough low scoring games since Day left to show that Addazio is a major challenge in that area. I also fear what happens when Reid retires. So far turnover between coordinators under Addazio hasn't been easy or clean. We struggled this year as we moved away from Brown stuff to a simpler Reid system.

The results this year don't back up these statements. Defensively, we let up fewer points this year as we moved to Reid's system. Interestingly, Reid's first 2 years as DC has resulted in 565 points surrendered in 24 season games... whereas Donnie Brown's D gave up 560 points in his first 24 season games. This year's offense actually scored 3 points more than Ryan Day's last season as OC.

I know some have a weird nostalgic view of Donnie and HCRD (harking back to those miraculous years when BC was able to win 7 out of 13 games). But, there is a lot of misremembering as to either's greatness. They both seem to have been capably replaced by career journeymen.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:45 pm

I dont think Al Skinner knows how to coach football.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:49 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

Going to high five over you, center hash
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:01 pm

I agree a lot with what teddy, HomoJS, and ATL are saying.

Daz has earned the chance next year to prove his ceiling is not 7 wins, Daz has limitations, Paul Pasqualoni has helped overcome many of them, the team has a lot of talent now, and really came together the last 6 games to be entertaining/dominant. Next year is put up or shut up time. Brown’s injury will give a lot of snaps to His backup for next year which should help provide cover for any injury there... I would almost call it a unfortunate (but at the same time fortunate event). His attitude can be grating at times but at least he is passionate about the team as opposed to the ginger fuck and lifeless stiff we had before him.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:02 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:

Just no eye contact and it’s not ghey... at least that’s what philly intern tells me.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:46 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:... Next year is put up or shut up time...

remember when you mediocrity lovers spent the whole offseason last year saying this? pepperidge farm remembers

maybe we should just give him another 50 games before we can even start to evaluate if he is a success or not
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:47 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:

Just no eye contact and it’s not ghey... at least that’s what philly intern tells me.

is that why you stared at his belly button the whole time, sinner?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium