Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Postby HJS on Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:07 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
Shoreagle {l Wrote}:
I will come to TREs defense here. Cheesquake is a rest stop on the Garden State Parkway. The Parkway does not allow trucks therefore Tonto's assertion is not possible. You are welcome.

Thanks, Shoreagle, I stand corrected - the parkway doesn't allow trucks?!? Who knew? Admittedly my knowledge here is limited - I almost always take the turnpike when I'm passing through.

IIRC, this parkway rule persists on Long Island - anything called 'parkway' doesn't allow trucks. There's an east/west parkway on the northern side of the island with tunnels and trucks are constantly ramming into them or getting stuck and then having to reverse for a few miles to an exit ramp. That silly rock is truly the worst place on the east coast and I'm so glad I don't have to go there very often anymore.

In Connecticut... Merritt Parkway, WIlbur Cross Parkway, Milford Parkway. In Toughchester... Cross County Parkway, Bronx River Parkway, Pelham Parkway, Moshulu Parkway, Henry Hudson Parkway and Hutchinson Parkway. In Brooklyn/Queens, Belt Parkway, Cross Island Parkway and Ocean Parkway. None allow trucks. I know nothing about the Parkways on the sandbar.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:16 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:2015 < 2016 < 2013 < 2014 < 2018 < 2017 < 2019 ...

Thank goodness we have walrus here to provide high-quality prognostication about the future of the program

TIMESTAMP!
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:59 pm

I was just thinking about the USC game with the Red Bandanna game coming up. Unless I'm forgetting something, that was far and away the best game Addazio ever coached. Has there been anything close?
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:18 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:I was just thinking about the USC game with the Red Bandanna game coming up. Unless I'm forgetting something, that was far and away the best game Addazio ever coached. Has there been anything close?

Every win in season 1 was a good win with what he inherited from Spaz.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:39 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:I was just thinking about the USC game with the Red Bandanna game coming up. Unless I'm forgetting something, that was far and away the best game Addazio ever coached. Has there been anything close?

No. Nothing close to the USC win. Nothing.

Second best game Addazio ever coached was the Louisville game last year, followed by the Florida State game the same year.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:06 am

Most of the wins at the end of last season were better coaching jobs than USC. The FSU game was about as good a job as they've done. That USC game was nice but that USC team ended up being not good.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:16 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Most of the wins at the end of last season were better coaching jobs than USC. The FSU game was about as good a job as they've done. That USC game was nice but that USC team ended up being not good.

USC was not that good but were any of the 2017 teams better?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:43 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Most of the wins at the end of last season were better coaching jobs than USC. The FSU game was about as good a job as they've done. That USC game was nice but that USC team ended up being not good.

No. From an end-of-the-year record perspective, USC was his best win. In 2013, USC had a record of 9-4. That same year, BC also beat VT who finished 8-5. Last year, we beat Ville who finished 8-5. Those are the only Power 5 teams Daz has ever beaten who finished the season with more than 7 wins.

Daz is who he is. We are in the TOB slow-burn world now. Enjoy the consistent banality of it. If there is a slam-dunk hire, you make it. Otherwise, we are here until someone like Kansas or Vandy or Rutgers comes in with an offer sheet.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Thornton Melon on Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:58 am

Only difference I would say between Daz and TOB is that TOB had top tier wins - ND was #4 and undefeated the year we beat them 14-0 there, there was a win against VT when they were 12th in the country...regardless of where they ended, there were a few wins that people had to notice and respect.

Daz has the USC win, other than that they have nothing signature, come close a couple times, but nothing much. And I really believe that because of the offense he runs that it makes it very difficult. Passing games create fluke plays (guys fall down, break a tackle, go 80 yards). When your philosophy is 4 yards at a time on schedule and you can't throw consistently you create very little variance in your favor.
Thornton Melon
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:59 am

t.s. slaughter WISHES he was tobias. at least the jortsman could finish better than .500 in conference. captain catsup couldn't do that with the patriots as his roster ("fuck tom brady, crack the rock you motherfuckers")
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:20 am

Sarge makes Tobias and Deep Sea Dana look like Mike Leach.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:29 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

I thought the question was the better coaching job. They were competant last year at the end of the season for the first time.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:31 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

No. From an end-of-the-year record perspective, USC was his best win. In 2013, USC had a record of 9-4. That same year, BC also beat VT who finished 8-5. Last year, we beat Ville who finished 8-5. Those are the only Power 5 teams Daz has ever beaten who finished the season with more than 7 wins.

Daz is who he is. We are in the TOB slow-burn world now. Enjoy the consistent banality of it. If there is a slam-dunk hire, you make it. Otherwise, we are here until someone like Kansas or Vandy or Rutgers comes in with an offer sheet.

The question is not better win. It's better coaching job. Murphy won that game by himself running like 4 plays.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:34 am

Thornton Melon {l Wrote}:Only difference I would say between Daz and TOB is that TOB had top tier wins - ND was #4 and undefeated the year we beat them 14-0 there, there was a win against VT when they were 12th in the country...regardless of where they ended, there were a few wins that people had to notice and respect.

Daz has the USC win, other than that they have nothing signature, come close a couple times, but nothing much. And I really believe that because of the offense he runs that it makes it very difficult. Passing games create fluke plays (guys fall down, break a tackle, go 80 yards). When your philosophy is 4 yards at a time on schedule and you can't throw consistently you create very little variance in your favor.

The ND win was his 6th year, no? And VT was in his last season, correct? Season 8? TOB didn't really have many signature wins. The difference between the two is marginal. Daz is a better recruiter across the board, TOB was able to land QBs. That's pretty much it.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:37 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:t.s. slaughter WISHES he was tobias. at least the jortsman could finish better than .500 in conference. captain catsup couldn't do that with the patriots as his roster ("fuck tom brady, crack the rock you motherfuckers")

Come on now, comparing the conferences is weak even for a guy that doesn't like sports.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:56 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:t.s. slaughter WISHES he was tobias. at least the jortsman could finish better than .500 in conference. captain catsup couldn't do that with the patriots as his roster ("fuck tom brady, crack the rock you motherfuckers")

Come on now, comparing the conferences is weak even for a guy that doesn't like sports.

hey teddy, i have a secret for you. the acc sucks dog balls this year, and we still won't finish .500, in this dickhole's 6th year when we should be "competing for championships"

it's weak for someone that expertises in saying what sucks and what doesn't to ignore that
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:28 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

hey teddy, i have a secret for you. the acc sucks dog balls this year, and we still won't finish .500, in this dickhole's 6th year when we should be "competing for championships"

it's weak for someone that expertises in saying what sucks and what doesn't to ignore that

So cherry pick one season in 6 in which the ACC is at worst equal to those conferences TOB faced and still has a legit playoff contender in the division. PS, slaughter sucks. Almost as much as the day walking ginger.

Oh how quickly we forget the halcyon days of battling Syracuse and UConn to see which 8-4 team plays in the Fiesta Bowl. Or joining a conference then referred to as "FSU and the 7 dwarfs".

I suppose TOB did better at losing close to Miami.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:48 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

we will finish at least .500 in ACC play (Daz only needs to win 2 of 3 out of Miami, @FSU, Cuse)
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:56 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

we will finish at least .500 in ACC play (Daz only needs to win 2 of 3 out of Miami, @FSU, Cuse)

Watch him lose to these three but beat Clemson. At least he would get his signature win.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:02 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

So cherry pick one season in 6 in which the ACC is at worst equal to those conferences TOB faced and still has a legit playoff contender in the division. PS, slaughter sucks. Almost as much as the day walking ginger.

Oh how quickly we forget the halcyon days of battling Syracuse and UConn to see which 8-4 team plays in the Fiesta Bowl. Or joining a conference then referred to as "FSU and the 7 dwarfs".

tobias at least set you up for the kick in the balls wt loss. most of the season was typically enjoyable as he beat teams that he should early in the season. conversely, it only take 2 or 3 games into each of the hammer's seasons to know the team is doomed and the prayers for mediocrity start

we hated tobias because he would play not to lose (an annoying trait) whereas you know thinskin will wind up playing not to win (as he did with purdue and rcc)
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:16 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

tobias at least set you up for the kick in the balls wt loss. most of the season was typically enjoyable as he beat teams that he should early in the season. conversely, it only take 2 or 3 games into each of the hammer's seasons to know the team is doomed and the prayers for mediocrity start

we hated tobias because he would play not to lose (an annoying trait) whereas you know thinskin will wind up playing not to win (as he did with purdue and rcc)

I think the only differences between TOB's 8 win mediocrity and Daz's 7 win mediocrity are:

1) Daz recruits better athletes across the board.

2) Day walking ginger knew what a QB looked like.

3) The conference schedule has been tougher over the past 6 years.

4) TOB cared about meaningless Bowl wins that exaggerated his actual success.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby durkcal on Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:40 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

USC win was in 2014. The Heights article also kept referring to the Home win as taking place in 2013. Maybe it just seems SO LONG AGO, that we keep pushing it further back.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:42 pm

So far Daz = Tob - WTF win

Where Tob=WTF win + WTF loss
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:38 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:So far Daz = Tob - WTF win

Where Tob=WTF win + WTF loss

That's the QB factor. The Daywalker didn't get WTF wins, the QBs he recruited did. And BC doesn't get many WTF losses anymore because they have speed and athleticism.

Frankly if the daywalker would refer a QB to Daz and then someone kidnapped them both on gameday, we might be on to something.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TontoKowalski on Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:56 pm

TOB's limitation was that he labelled appropriate risk-taking as dumb. Daz' problem is that he labels dumb behavior as appropriate risk-taking. Neither coach ever thought they did (do) anything dumb. They have the same problem but it plays out very differently.

The Ginger was predictable at all scales - within a game (you knew we were losing even when we were up) and within a season (you could look at the slate and say 8-4! only question was which game we'd lose that we should win). The supply officer was exceptional at one thing - winning the one or two games a year that prevented his elimination. Typically this meant ND. He was pretty good at beating them but that realistically says more about those ND teams than it does about The Bejorted One.

Daz is less predictable in this fashion, but he is very predictable at making stupid and terrible decisions. Sometimes these unfold over an entire game (CRACK THE ROCK LIKE WE ARE IN A RUSSIAN PRISON), other times just one or two critical moments. So while you cannot say how things will unfold, game or season, you can rely on him doing something dumb and with sufficient dumb decisions, we lose winnable games.

This is basically the same thing as hansen's 'cock or butthole' problem.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:52 pm

Additionally, the way in which they respond(ed) to criticism bears description.

TOB was like XI Jinping - he silenced dissent through message board bannings, fudged rankings, and traded coverage for favor. Daz is more like Erdogan, lashing out violently with cartoonish banana-republic threats and no doubt covering the first two rows of empty chairs ('cause there aren't reporters there) with droplets of spittle.

Gene D was Chavez - who never saw a problem that couldn't be solved with more Chavez. Inserted himself everywhere, screwed up everything he brought under his umbrella, and let minor problems snowball into systemic issues.

Not sure who Spaz is.

Ladies and gentlemen, BOSTON COLLEGE FOOTBALL!
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:09 pm

Hansen's the kind of guy who honestly believed each year that KC Caudill was coming back in the best shape of his life

When Addazio feeds us a bunch of crap in December about how participating in the Quick Lane Bowl again gives us a chance to reinforce the brand in the fertile Michigan recruiting grounds and how the extra bowl practices will really help our young players develop, Hansen will nod along and think that finally, the program is reaching exit velocity from its sinkhole of suckitude
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:28 pm

No more excuses with the new practice facility open. BC has more to offer recruits and potential head coaches than ever before. It’s on MJ and his team to make good hires and not to bring in more excuses makers. Daz is getting paid double what TOB was getting paid. MJ cannot afford to make a mistake with the next HC with contracts this large.

Go Eagles
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:55 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:No more excuses with the new practice facility open...

ummmmm, the corners aren’t filled in
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MattTheEagle on Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:00 pm

I've never understood this Board's love affair with TOB. This is serious revisionist history. He's no better than Daz. Comparing records is stupid. The old Big East was weaker in football than the ACC in all of Addazio's years. Playing Rutgers and Temple as in-conference is a nice way to pad the stats. Then during the final years of TOB in the ACC, the ACC was weak like it is this year--Miami in down years, FSU during the end of Bowden, a Duke team that nobody wanted to play for, etc.

Once TOB was at NC State his results in the ACC were very similar to Addazio.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium