Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Postby JesuitIvy on Wed May 29, 2013 8:02 pm

You just know Spaz has made some feeble attempt to convince someone on the current staff to suspend Andre
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:45 pm

BC up to # 14 in the 2014 Rivals rankings http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... 14/all/all
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:08 pm

Recruiting rankings for the 31 new head coaches

BC is #.....?

http://coachingsearch.com/home/3411-cha ... aches.html
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby h2o on Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:20 pm

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Recruiting rankings for the 31 new head coaches

BC is #.....?

4?
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:51 pm

h2o {l Wrote}:
NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Recruiting rankings for the 31 new head coaches

BC is #.....?

4?

Over at the other college football blog where I post, everyone is absolutely amazed at the success in Kentucky. The nay-sayers repeat over and over, "...its only June, its only June..." or "...yeah right that kid verbally committed, the moment a factory offers him he'll renege on his verbal"
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BCdee on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:01 pm

The Dazzler and the rest of his staff are recruiting cyborgs!!!! They've been earning their cheeseburgers!!
:angrychicken :chewbanka :elephant :cheer :screamyeagle
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby BCWest on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:58 pm

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:BC up to # 14 in the 2014 Rivals rankings http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... 14/all/all

It will be interesting to see where the class ultimately stacks up. My guess is outside the top 25. Once some of these programs get humming in terms of quantity, they will pass BC. But no question things are better at the heights than the past few years.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby talon on Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:26 pm

BCWest {l Wrote}:
NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:BC up to # 14 in the 2014 Rivals rankings http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... 14/all/all

It will be interesting to see where the class ultimately stacks up. My guess is outside the top 25. Once some of these programs get humming in terms of quantity, they will pass BC. But no question things are better at the heights than the past few years.

Aren't these rankings based on total stars, not average stars?

ie, if on a given day, Program A has 10 recruits (all 3-stars) and Program B has 6 recruits (all 5-stars), A and B would appear more or less tied in the rankings at that time?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:35 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
BCWest {l Wrote}:

ie, if on a given day, Program A has 10 recruits (all 3-stars) and Program B has 6 recruits (all 5-stars), A and B would appear more or less tied in the rankings at that time?

Yes. I think that was precisely his point.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby talon on Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:38 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:
BCWest {l Wrote}:

Just curious on the exact methodology. Is it straight up total stars? A weighted average?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby QuailMan on Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:48 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:
BCWest {l Wrote}:

Just curious on the exact methodology. Is it straight up total stars? A weighted average?

I have no idea how it works considering Baylor is ranked #15 with a lower star average and 1 less recruit than BC
QuailMan
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:57 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:
BCWest {l Wrote}:

I think most sites add up the total points for the class. How they set those points varies. But as a general rule, your score goes up with every rated recruit, even if he is rated poorly.

Rivals {l Wrote}:What is the formula?

See below! Go ahead and use it! Who is your team's next commitment? How many points does he count for? Go ahead and start the debate!

Rivals Rating points + Rivals250 Bonus Points = Total Points

Rivals Rating (RR) Scale (Top 20 rated commitments)

(Rivals Rating = Points)

6.1 = 150 points
6.0 = 135 points
5.9 = 120 points
5.8 = 105 points
5.7 = 90 points
5.6 = 75 points
5.5 = 60 points
5.4 = 45 points
5.3 = 30 points
5.2 = 15 points

*Prospects without an assigned rating will count for no points. All FBS committed prospects will have a rating once evaluated and rankings are updated.

Rivals 250 Bonus Scale (all commitments)

#1= 100 points
#2= 83 points
#3= 82 points
#4= 81 points
#5= 80 points
#6= 76 points
#7= 75 points
#8= 74 points
#9= 73 points
#10= 72 points
#11= 69 points
#12= 68 points
#13= 67 points
#14= 66 points
#15= 65 points
#16= 64 points
#17= 63 points
#18= 62 points
#19= 61 points
#20= 60 points
#21= 59 points
#22= 58 points
#23= 57 points
#24= 56 points
#25= 55 points

#26-30= 53 points
#31-35= 51 points
#36-40= 49 points
#41-45= 47 points
#46-50= 45 points
#51-55= 43 points
#56-60= 41 points

#61-65= 40 points
#66-70= 39 points
#71-75= 38 points
#76-80= 37 points
#81-85= 36 points
#86-90= 35 points
#91-95= 34 points
#96-100= 33 points

#101-105= 32 points
#106-110= 31 points
#111-115= 30 points
#116-120= 29 points
#121-125= 28 points
#126-130= 27 points
#131-135= 26 points
#136-140= 25 points
#141-145= 24 points
#146-150= 23 points
#151-155= 22 points
#156-160= 21 points
#161-165= 20 points
#166-170= 19 points
#171-175= 18 points
#176-180= 17 points
#181-185= 16 points
#186-190= 15 points
#191-195= 14 points
#196-200= 13 points
#201-205= 12 points
#206-210= 11 points
#211-215= 10 points
#216-220= 9 points
#221-225= 8 points
#226-230= 7 points
#231-235= 6 points
#236-240= 5 points
#241-245= 4 points
#246-250= 3 points

Why did Rivals.com change the rankings formula?

We wanted a formula that was easy for everyone to use, most importantly our subscribers!

The past formula, though it worked as intended, was very complex, and didn't provide our subscribers a simple way of calculating their team's point totals, and class ranking, if a certain prospect committed to their school.

So starting with the class of 2013, we made some changes, using the point scales above.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby NotoriousOrange on Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:33 pm

With 20 commitments BC is number 1 in number of recruits signed to date(tied with RCC). Many good recruits, so early in the recruiting season. Has BC ever been able to say that in the past?

In Jags last recruiting year BC had exactly 2 recruits signed at this calendar date.
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:06 pm

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:With 20 commitments BC is number 1 in number of recruits signed to date(tied with RCC). Many good recruits, so early in the recruiting season. Has BC ever been able to say that in the past?

In Jags last recruiting year BC had exactly 2 recruits signed at this calendar date.

The only real comparison is Addazio's class this year compared to Jags' first "full" class. You could actually say Jags did a better job in his first partial class (adding Costanzo and a couple others) than Addazio did, if you really want to compare. Jags had already checked out by the time his last class was going on, so we can compare Daz's future last class at BC to that one if you want to do proper comparisons.

I also won't discount the fact that Jags came in when BC was doing really well and had a pretty stacked team. He had a lot more momentum than Daz came into. It appears Daz' first full class will be better than Jags' first full class - and coming off very different prior year results, Daz comes out on top in that comparison.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby talon on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:12 am

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:I also won't discount the fact that Jags came in when BC was doing really well and had a pretty stacked team. He had a lot more momentum than Daz came into. It appears Daz' first full class will be better than Jags' first full class - and coming off very different prior year results, Daz comes out on top in that comparison.

This is kind of a major storyline. I know you said you won't discount it, but it should still remain front and center in the discussion.

"We've been winning 8/9 games consistently for a while and we got rid of the old coach because that's not good enough. I want YOU to help make BC an ACC CHAMPION"
vs
"We lost 10 games last year. We lost to fucking ARMY and DUKE for crying out loud. I want YOU to help get rid of the stink lines on the drawings of poo most people now associate with BC football. With your help, BC might not finish in last place!"
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:14 am

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:
NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:With 20 commitments BC is number 1 in number of recruits signed to date(tied with RCC). Many good recruits, so early in the recruiting season. Has BC ever been able to say that in the past?

The only real comparison is Addazio's class this year compared to Jags' first "full" class. You could actually say Jags did a better job in his first partial class (adding Costanzo and a couple others) than Addazio did, if you really want to compare. Jags had already checked out by the time his last class was going on, so we can compare Daz's future last class at BC to that one if you want to do proper comparisons.

I also won't discount the fact that Jags came in when BC was doing really well and had a pretty stacked team. He had a lot more momentum than Daz came into. It appears Daz' first full class will be better than Jags' first full class - and coming off very different prior year results, Daz comes out on top in that comparison.

Regal,

The point I was making is that at this calendar date I don't remember any BC recruiting class being further along. The reason I referenced Jags full class #2 was - with 2 recruits at this calendar point, it was the one farthest behind (as I remember it).

I agree Jags first full class will be the better comparison on signing day and I also agree that he filled out TOB's partial class well
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby Shaddix on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:00 pm

I don't believe that many of you read barstool sports, but if you're a college student then you definitely know about it.

Addazio made it on Barstool Philly today

http://philly.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/former-temple-and-current-bc-head-coach-steve-addazios-vine-videos-make-life-uncomfortable/
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:44 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:I don't believe that many of you read barstool sports, but if you're a college student then you definitely know about it.

Addazio made it on Barstool Philly today

http://philly.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/former-temple-and-current-bc-head-coach-steve-addazios-vine-videos-make-life-uncomfortable/

I tend not to listen to crackheads; that post is stupid.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:46 pm

Anyone else ready to jump on the Addazio bandwagon?

Recruiting = check plus
Media Skills = check plus
Gets what BC is and how to sell it = check plus
Ability to attract good coaches = check plus
Portrays an attitude of confidence, swagger and competence = check plus

You can wait until the wins pile up - or jump in early - and get that HJS "I was right way before the rest of you jamokes" buzz going

Not too late for early entrants on the A Train - who else is on board??
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:52 pm

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Anyone else ready to jump on the Addazio bandwagon?

Recruiting = check plus
Media Skills = check plus
Gets what BC is and how to sell it = check plus
Ability to attract good coaches = check plus
Portrays an attitude of confidence, swagger and competence = check plus

You can wait until the wins pile up - or jump in early - and get that HJS "I was right way before the rest of you jamokes" buzz going

Not too late for early entrants on the A Train - who else is on board??

well do we know for sure who is and who is not already on board?
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby NotoriousOrange on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:59 pm

Here was the last official count - I will update

Updates
Added 7/22/13 - they committed earlier

Hansen
Cadillac90
IB

Who's next?

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Any of you gents (and ladies - Dee, Jane, Dr Kimmy, Dixie?) want to give me an Amen on the Addazio hire?

So far we have:

* Pedro
* Claver with a tepid Amen
* Vegas
* westcoastBernie
* Teddy cautiously on board
* Matt the Eagle
* Hansen (Ithink)
* TRE - kinda no? " i am okay with frank addazio. i am NOT okay with his retread assistant coaches. i view the latter as his downfall. all that said, i hope i am wrong but i'm fairly certain i'm right"
* Sweet Dee "

Who's next on-board? If it's you - Testify and give AMEN!!

Added 7/22/13 - they committed earlier

Hansen
Cadillac90
IB

Daz and Proud - Say it out loud!

One of the original posts to quell the lynch mob from December 5 below. Partial explanation of why Addazio is a better hire now than he would have been immediately after the FLA national title below

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:To my lynch mob of fellow posters - (beside the rational ones like Teddy, Pedro and the under rated Matt the Eagle) - who have tried to out do each other in hysteria and hyperbole. Take a deep breath we can get through this together. This will be a strong hire.

Let's take a rational look at what has transpired since HJS declared not hiring him for BC an epic disaster.

2009/2010 in Gainsville Florida Urban Meyer announces retirement - he waffles and says he will take an indefinite leave of absence - right in the middle of recruiting season.

Florida AD who has 5 years of experience with the staff names Addazio Head Coach - effective until when and if Urban Meyer returns.

Do you think Saban, Spurrier, Myles, Mullen, Kiffen etc. may have mentioned Meyer's and the program's issues to recruits? Despite the coaching uncertainty and FUD factor spread by competing programs. Florida/Addazio brings in the #1 recruiting class in the country. Addazio named number #1 recruiter in the nation

Meyer comes back - Brantley sucks - Florida slips to 8-5. Meyer retires.

Muschamp comes in and saves the day?

No! Florida slips further to 7-5 and the Fla offense slips to #9 in the SEC (Addazio probably wasn't the sole problem that Fla fans made him out to be)

Year 1 at Temple Addazio picks up in the middle of Temple recruiting and closes Golden's recruits despite Golden flying south. Temple has #1 class in the MAC - Temple loses Muhammad Wilkerson to the Jets in the first round and a safety in the 2nd round prior to the season. Despite the losses Temple goes 9 wins - 4 losses, Best since 1979 and the only Bowl win in Temple history

Year 2 at Temple - Temple is ranked the best recruiting class in the MAC. They move to the Big East and slip to 4-7 while playing 12-14 freshman major minutes. Temple exceeds all pre-season predictions.

The people who know him best

After Addazio named interim coach Quarterback Tim Tebow estimated that the booming tribute lasted three to four minutes, perhaps the longest ovation he had been part of.

“He’s got the best leadership qualities of any coach we have on the team,” Tebow said. “He can inspire, motivate and drive people like not many people I’ve been around. I’m so excited and proud for Coach Addazio.”

Urban Meyer "Addazio is the coach who I think is most like me"

I think most rationale people would conclude his experiences over the last 3 years would make him a better coach for BC now than he would have been 3 years ago. He has the interim HC experience at FLA - He has 2 years at Temple - He is no longer a rookie HC

Spaz had no energy - Addazio has an abundance
Spaz stopped working hard - Adazzio will outwork any BC coach since Coughlin
Addazio give the program better visibility in Boston
Addazio will be the best recruiter in my BC lifetime

I think if I am choosing mob leaders I would go with Urban Meyer over HJS 2012 version (who was with Addazio - before he was violently against him) - but maybe that is just me.
Last edited by NotoriousOrange on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:01 pm

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Here was the last official count - I will update
NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Any of you gents (and ladies - Dee, Jane, Dr Kimmy, Dixie?) want to give me an Amen on the Addazio hire?

So far we have:

* Pedro
* Claver with a tepid Amen
* Vegas
* westcoastBernie
* Teddy cautiously on board
* Matt the Eagle
* Hansen (Ithink)
* TRE - kinda no? " i am okay with frank addazio. i am NOT okay with his retread assistant coaches. i view the latter as his downfall. all that said, i hope i am wrong but i'm fairly certain i'm right"
* Sweet Dee "Addazio hire growing on her"

Who's next on-board? If it's you - Testify and give AMEN!!

Daz and Proud - Say it out loud!

One of the original posts to quell the lynch mob from December 5 below. Partial explanation of why Addazio is a better hire now than he would have been immediately after the FLA national title below

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:To my lynch mob of fellow posters - (beside the rational ones like Teddy, Pedro and the under rated Matt the Eagle) - who have tried to out do each other in hysteria and hyperbole. Take a deep breath we can get through this together. This will be a strong hire.

Let's take a rational look at what has transpired since HJS declared not hiring him for BC an epic disaster.

2009/2010 in Gainsville Florida Urban Meyer announces retirement - he waffles and says he will take an indefinite leave of absence - right in the middle of recruiting season.

Florida AD who has 5 years of experience with the staff names Addazio Head Coach - effective until when and if Urban Meyer returns.

Do you think Saban, Spurrier, Myles, Mullen, Kiffen etc. may have mentioned Meyer's and the program's issues to recruits? Despite the coaching uncertainty and FUD factor spread by competing programs. Florida/Addazio brings in the #1 recruiting class in the country. Addazio named number #1 recruiter in the nation

Meyer comes back - Brantley sucks - Florida slips to 8-5. Meyer retires.

Muschamp comes in and saves the day?

No! Florida slips further to 7-5 and the Fla offense slips to #9 in the SEC (Addazio probably wasn't the sole problem that Fla fans made him out to be)

Year 1 at Temple Addazio picks up in the middle of Temple recruiting and closes Golden's recruits despite Golden flying south. Temple has #1 class in the MAC - Temple loses Muhammad Wilkerson to the Jets in the first round and a safety in the 2nd round prior to the season. Despite the losses Temple goes 9 wins - 4 losses, Best since 1979 and the only Bowl win in Temple history

Year 2 at Temple - Temple is ranked the best recruiting class in the MAC. They move to the Big East and slip to 4-7 while playing 12-14 freshman major minutes. Temple exceeds all pre-season predictions.

The people who know him best

After Addazio named interim coach Quarterback Tim Tebow estimated that the booming tribute lasted three to four minutes, perhaps the longest ovation he had been part of.

“He’s got the best leadership qualities of any coach we have on the team,” Tebow said. “He can inspire, motivate and drive people like not many people I’ve been around. I’m so excited and proud for Coach Addazio.”

Urban Meyer "Addazio is the coach who I think is most like me"

I think most rationale people would conclude his experiences over the last 3 years would make him a better coach for BC now than he would have been 3 years ago. He has the interim HC experience at FLA - He has 2 years at Temple - He is no longer a rookie HC

Spaz had no energy - Addazio has an abundance
Spaz stopped working hard - Adazzio will outwork any BC coach since Coughlin
Addazio give the program better visibility in Boston
Addazio will be the best recruiter in my BC lifetime

I think if I am choosing mob leaders I would go with Urban Meyer over HJS 2012 version (who was with Addazio - before he was violently against him) - but maybe that is just me.

hansen's on board
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:01 pm

:hansen
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:06 am

I am on board.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby basselope on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:07 pm

Does my vote count?
basselope
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:09 pm

basselope {l Wrote}:Does my vote count?

your vote not only counts... it's weighted
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:38 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
basselope {l Wrote}:Does my vote count?

your vote not only counts... it's weighted

make sure it's appropriately weighted. less max ricci, more tubby dennis miller.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eaglecaddy on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:09 pm

Amen.
eaglecaddy
Campion Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:26 pm

It looks like Addazio is a good recruiter. If he is a good coach remains to be seen. Other than his short stint at Temple, we do not have much to go on.

Jags was not the best recruiter, but he\Logan were great game day coaches. They had a knack for making gutsy calls at the right time. Two that come to mind. The fake punt/short snap to Toal against NC State when NC State was making a comeback that put the game away. The fake field goal and TD pass by Billy Flutie against Maryland that won the game.

That's two games won just by ballsy calls that worked. If Tommy Bowden makes those calls, they are a bust. Jags had a sense of what would work and when it would work. He also had an ability of identifying two star talent like Castonzo and Montel. His last recruiting class (2009) was pretty weak, and that may have played a part in why he was eager to split. They offered Edebali at camp in July. Other than him, they had Quinn, Phifer, Lawrence and Noel at that time. Pretty weak after coming off a great season.

Daz looks good so far. That being said, I would rather have a guy who can coach but not recruit, than a guy who can recruit but not coach. Look at Charlie Weiss. He had great recruiting classes at ND, but could not coach.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:15 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:Daz looks good so far. That being said, I would rather have a guy who can coach but not recruit, than a guy who can recruit but not coach.

Yes, we do not want Coach Zook.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium