Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:49 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:In my opinion, a huge part of the turnaround is AJ Dillon. If he stayed with Michigan, we might've had a 1-7 or 2-6 ACC year and Addazio would be out the door. But I'll give him credit for AJ and Anthony Brown. At this point, I'd rather keep status quo because I actually think we have a chance to compete for a conference championship over the next couple of years.

And welcome back.

I agree that without Williams this season is capped at 4 wins, but if you go down that route I think you have to consider that this offense has looked Ok to good when it has had Williams, Freshman Hilliman, and Dillon. It has looked awful with post-injury Hilliman and Rouse/Willis/Jones. The guy is a meat head. He can't adjust beyond a certain point. That said, if you give him a back who consistently gets 3+ ypc on early downs, the offense is functional to good. If you don't, you end up with 40 3rd and longs a game and its awful.

This is hardly a ringing endorsement, but I think the more recruited RBs in the stable, the less likely there is another 2016 type year.

They do appear to have figured out how to use a tight end in year 5, so maybe there is some hope.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:55 pm

I do not think Anthony Brown had a good year. He had one good game against UVA and that's about it for real competition.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby eagletx on Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:04 pm

Addazio proved time and time again over 4.5 years that he was a gutless, risk averse, unimaginative coach that continually preached a strategy that was a "play not to lose". A good coach would not have squandered half a season with the talent that this team exhibited this season. I credit him for not losing the team in the locker room and bringing in a nice caliber of player, even though he lost the fan base and associated AD dollars on a progressive basis over 5 years. But a number of factors account for the late season turnabout, and Addazio's coaching acumen was not anywhere near the top of the list. Young guys (possibly underestimated) were forced into action and have played great. Opponents in those "marquee" wins were clearly under the weather. And the stultifying offensive philosophy of the previous 4 1/2 years was abandoned, for whatever the real reason, maybe because he got out of the way. Or maybe he just began to realize that job security is not assured by continuing mediocrity, and he had nothing to lose but to let go the reins.

No, under the circumstances, the late season turnabout, though refreshing to anyone who have watched this moribund program over the past 7 years or so, doesn't suddenly make Addazio a wizard.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:05 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:I do not think Anthony Brown had a good year. He had one good game against UVA and that's about it for real competition.

If he's allowed to run around, and he doesn't hurt his knee again in the process, he will be good, bordering on dynamic. He was clearly improving and after UVA, he didn't have to do much against FSU. Against NCSU, he threw a bad interception, but I think BC would have won that game with Brown. They were driving again when he hurt his knee. He's tough to contain and doesn't need to be perfect in the throw game, especially with AJ Dillon.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:11 pm

Now, after completion of the 5-Year-Rebuild, I think Daz has been a good hire. Not a great hire, but good. And I think he has actually rebuilt the program, so he deserves credit for that.

BC was a hopeless laughing stock after 4 years of Spaz. I still remember how miserable it was to watch games during those years. Nothing in recent history compares to it. Now, 5 years later, BC is a solid team again, with good talent and the potential to knock off some really great teams.

If Daz wants to go from good to great, that job starts in 2018. If we're assuming he'll be here through 2020, that gives him 3 seasons to win the Atlantic. Anything short of that and he's TOB and we're treading water. Respectable, but treading water.

Could be worse...

:screamyeagle :koolaid :screamyeagle :koolaid :screamyeagle
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:16 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Now, after completion of the 5-Year-Rebuild, I think Daz has been a good hire. Not a great hire, but good. And I think he has actually rebuilt the program, so he deserves credit for that.

BC was a hopeless laughing stock after 4 years of Spaz. I still remember how miserable it was to watch games during those years. Nothing in recent history compares to it. Now, 5 years later, BC is a solid team again, with good talent and the potential to knock off some really great teams.

If Daz wants to go from good to great, that job starts in 2018. If we're assuming he'll be here through 2020, that gives him 3 seasons to win the Atlantic. Anything short of that and he's TOB and we're treading water. Respectable, but treading water.

Could be worse...

:screamyeagle :koolaid :screamyeagle :koolaid :screamyeagle

I differ - Daz is a bad hire. A different coach would have us farther along.

That doesn't mean that if we hadn't hired Daz, we would be in a better situation - consider who was making the decision, and there are more bad coaches than good - but I still don't think he's a good hire and let's face it, he's one temper tantrum away from reverting to doing stupid things.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:09 pm

These last 6 games have been impressive. They aren't just winning, they are dominating. The offense has really emerged. Perhaps it is due to Loeffler. If so, more kudos to Daz for making the right hire. Let's hope he has reached a Beamer turning point.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:49 pm

I wanted Diaco so obviously things could be much worse. If the coaches in the division churn and this group of freshmen stay healthy Addazio might break his current ceiling but right now he looks like a fired up TOB.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:58 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I wanted Diaco so obviously things could be much worse. If the coaches in the division churn and this group of freshmen stay healthy Addazio might break his current ceiling but right now he looks like a fired up TOB.

It's crazy to go back and see how many people here wanted Diaco. Meanwhile, at Nebraska...

“That guy’s from outer space,” a coach told me over the phone less than an hour after Diaco’s comments.

The coach had been sent a video clip of the interview. That’s how fast it got around.

Dodged a big time bullet there.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:20 pm

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I wanted Diaco so obviously things could be much worse. If the coaches in the division churn and this group of freshmen stay healthy Addazio might break his current ceiling but right now he looks like a fired up TOB.

It's crazy to go back and see how many people here wanted Diaco. Meanwhile, at Nebraska...

“That guy’s from outer space,” a coach told me over the phone less than an hour after Diaco’s comments.

The coach had been sent a video clip of the interview. That’s how fast it got around.

It's why you interview someone and not make decisions purely based upon a resume.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:29 pm

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:

So after Diaco didn't get hired, word leaked to me that Diaco screwed up the interview and was a weird dude. I was mad and thought new AD, but typical BC -- trash the guy you didn't hire to make the guy you hired look better. Little did I know that Bates was right and Diaco was one of the weirdest dudes in college football.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:44 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:

So after Diaco didn't get hired, word leaked to me that Diaco screwed up the interview and was a weird dude. I was mad and thought new AD, but typical BC -- trash the guy you didn't hire to make the guy you hired look better. Little did I know that Bates was right and Diaco was one of the weirdest dudes in college football.

I do recall that Diaco's interview was "weird". My UConn buddy thought the hire would be decent. Little did he know...later told me about the Edsall hire and his taking the job for $1m.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:49 am

At the five year point, I think BC could have done much much worse than hiring Daz. The team is greatly improved from the dumpster fire Spaz left (even if that fuckface Herbstreit doesn’t recognize that yet). At the beginning of the season, I was leaning toward the “Daz has to go” camp but the turnaround despite a ridiculous number of injuries has been quite good (5-1 the last 6 games... and prob could have been six). So I’m in the hold/wait-andsee camp at the moment. I think long-term Daz will turnout to be another :toby clone but honestly after Some of the shitty seasons we’ve had over the last ten, I’d be content with a couple 8-4 efforts (at least until change occurs up in Chestnut Hill and we serious,y commit to winning) I’m smart enough to know none of the names floated on this site will ever happen under the current regime. As long as Leahy is running things, there are serious constraints on recruiting and hiring.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:22 am

hansen {l Wrote}: At the beginning of the season, I was leaning toward the “Daz has to go” camp but the turnaround despite a ridiculous number of injuries has been quite good (5-1 the last 6 games... and prob could have been six). So I’m in the hold/wait-andsee camp at the moment. I think long-term Daz will turnout to be another :toby clone but honestly after Some of the shitty seasons we’ve had over the last ten, I’d be content with a couple 8-4 efforts (at least until change occurs up in Chestnut Hill and we serious,y commit to winning) I’m smart enough to know none of the names floated on this site will ever happen under the current regime. As long as Leahy is running things, there are serious constraints on recruiting and hiring.

I mean this run has been completely out of left field. The 2nd half of the year they averaged 36 points with 5 of the games being against teams in the acc. in the previous 37 fbs games they had scored 36 points once (the maryland bowl game where there was a defensive td & 3 of the scoring drives started in opponents territory)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:37 am

7-5 doesn't excuse his stupidity, his antics and his thinskinned approach to the public questioning him.

as he may fall assbackwards into an 8 win season every now and again, that's as good as he'll ever get and fuck the person that he is for 8 wins
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:03 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:7-5 doesn't excuse his stupidity, his antics and his thinskinned approach to the public questioning him.

as he may fall assbackwards into an 8 win season every now and again, that's as good as he'll ever get and fuck the person that he is for 8 wins

i agree, nor does it excuse 6-10 for years 4 & 5 in acc play
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:30 am

This is the type of year in the ACC Atlantic that a better coached BC team takes advantage of and finishes 9-3 with losses to Clemson, ND, and Virginia Tech. You are not going to catch FSU and Louisville in the same down year every year and you're not going to take Clemson into the 4th quarter with a one score game. A better coach takes advantage of that, Daz wastes the opportunity.

He will be a perennial 7-5 coach who falls into the occasional 8 win season. I highly doubt his ability to get to 9 because that would require him to get out of his own way. 10 is a non starter. It will take a lot for BC to willingly get rid of a coach like that who wins with fair consistency and graduates his players.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:44 am

There is no excuse for some of the shit he has done in the past. I also think that the optimism of the last 5 of 6 games must be tempered by 6th, in which some of that same shit reared its ugly head. However, I think you have to be a real stubborn prick to look at the last 6 weeks as a whole and not have some sense that things were dramatically different. He needs to completely excise the NCSU game plans from his arsenal and stick with what worked moving forward.

If he does that and avoids the Wake and NCSU losses in the future, I could see them threatening the top of the division once in a while and regularly winning 7-9 games. They aren't regularly taking more than 1 of 3 from VT, FSU and Clemson in the near future, however.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:49 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:If he does that and avoids the Wake and NCSU losses in the future, I could see them threatening the top of the division once in a while and regularly winning 7-9 games. They aren't regularly taking more than 1 of 3 from VT, FSU and Clemson in the near future, however.

A lot of that Wake game was on Brown, he was terrible (though Daz blamed the WRs for not running the proper routes).
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:57 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:If he does that and avoids the Wake and NCSU losses in the future, I could see them threatening the top of the division once in a while and regularly winning 7-9 games. They aren't regularly taking more than 1 of 3 from VT, FSU and Clemson in the near future, however.

A lot of that Wake game was on Brown, he was terrible (though Daz blamed the WRs for not running the proper routes).

I agree completely, Brown was terrible and I gave them a pass on that game this season because the line hadn't clicked around Petrula yet and Brown was so bad as a freshman playing his first real opponent. My comment above assumes that such problems will not continue to exist now that Brown and Petrula will have a season under their belts. NCSU was on Daz.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:04 am

There are a lot of similarities between Daz and TOB. Among them is a faction that believes that anyone would be better than Chris Crane. Daz has a solid group of supporters, but none of them believes he walks-on-water like Tobyites did.

Daz is an idiot. He has difficulty multitasking. As situations become more pressured, his considerable intellectual shortcomings become more pronounced. As a result, he is one of the worst time managers in the sport. This incapacity to process information, also prompts the unhinged outbursts we've seen on the sidelines. Are these tantrums more or less embarrassing than the utter detachment displayed from the grass-picker? I think there is merit to those who say that his gameday behavior and his stupidity accompanied with his terrible Conference Record and middling overall success through 5 years warrants termination.

However, Daz inherited a freaking disaster of a program. Spaz (as we all know) completely destroyed a program that had won the ACC Atlantic 2 years in a row. It wasn't enough that he tore down what was built, he was given an additional 2 years to salt the earth. It was going to take his successor many years to stabilize a program that was essentially moving up from the MAC (the level Spaz recruited for 4 years) to the ACC. Only a truly inspired hire would have been able to do so in 3 years (and he likely would leave before the job was completed). Daz, with all his faults, has rebuilt the talent on the roster such that there is talent and depth at each position (except kicker). This has been proven based upon the team not falling a part (actually improving) as back-ups have had to step into major roles due to an unprecedented number of injuries. Daz should also be credited with culling together excellent coaching staffs each year (that's a skill unto itself that many take for granted). So, I think there is merit to those who say that he has done enough to be comfortable in his future at BC.

Personally, while I think BC can do MUCH better, I also think BC can do worse. Given the current administration, I hold no hope that BC has the ability to make good coaching hires. Perhaps, I will feel differently once I see what Marty does with Men's Basketball, but, until proven otherwise, I will assume that Leahy would pervert the selection. Accordingly, I am somewhat relieved that Daz was able to win enough to make a firing unnecessary. Even if I had the slightest hope BC would make a competent hiring decision, I dispassionately believe that Daz has done enough to be given a chance to coach this team next year (which I view as his best chance to break his well-established ceiling). As we mock Tennessee, TAMU and ASU fans for their unrealistic expectations, the same could be said of BC fans who fired a coach after 4 bowls in 5 years. Combine that with the glut of open positions and the financial restraints we'd face due to Daz's buyout, I think it is in the long-term best interest of the program to stay the course. Now, that doesn't mean I'd extend the fool... or prevent him from leaving should another program unlikely come calling. Just saying that sometimes inertia isn't all that bad.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:23 am

I agree with HJS (I was writing a similar post). Watching the talent on the field vs. Syracuse compared to what we saw in the tail end of the Spaz era is pretty good to see. Daz (for some reason) reminds me of the guy in the car at the start of Mad Max - I am the night rider!). Confident and appealing as long as things go his way, but as soon as something spoils his plan (the analogy being Mel Gibson playing chicken = Wade breaking his leg v FSU in 2015), he falls apart. That makes us fans, of course, the whimpering woman on Night Rider's arm.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:26 am

well done on the leahy wording hjs
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:28 am

I also think you need to throw QB in there with kicker in the recruiting failures. Excluding Rettig, he's gone to 5th years twice in 4 years, and had a third year where he had one QB. Even this year, with only two QBs, one of whom was a RS-F, that were remotely close to known commodities in year 5 of the program, is not a great scenario.

Otherwise agree. Also think Daz has been able to get two things no other BC coach has been able to recruit with any level of success - fast WRs and athletic DBs.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:37 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I also think you need to throw QB in there with kicker in the recruiting failures. Excluding Rettig, he's gone to 5th years twice in 4 years, and had a third year where he had one QB. Even this year, with only two QBs, one of whom was a RS-F, that were remotely close to known commodities in year 5 of the program, is not a great scenario.

Otherwise agree. Also think Daz has been able to get two things no other BC coach has been able to recruit with any level of success - fast WRs and athletic DBs.

There is some question whether the DBs are a product of Daz or Brown, since everyone currently contributing was recruited while Brown was still here (I think).
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:46 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I also think you need to throw QB in there with kicker in the recruiting failures. Excluding Rettig, he's gone to 5th years twice in 4 years, and had a third year where he had one QB. Even this year, with only two QBs, one of whom was a RS-F, that were remotely close to known commodities in year 5 of the program, is not a great scenario.

I was going to post the same. His two biggest faults (besides the fact that he is just not that bright) are game day decision making and the handling of the QB position. He has been all over the place in what kind of QB he wants to run "his" offense. Thank goodness Wade did not transfer after last season!
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:49 am

Are you folks that desperate for some semblance of winning football that you're willing to see what Addazio can do next year? That is sad. I'll tell you what he'll do next year...6-6 or maybe 7-5. He is a horrible coach plain and simple. 5 or 6 games don't make a career. You can easily look at these last 5 wins and explain a lot of that success away. What has Addazio done over the previous 4.5 years to prove otherwise? Okay, he has been a decent recruiter but he's also failed miserably at developing a quarterback because of moves like Towles. Also don't forget the guy's in game mentality that he displayed during last year's championship game. Do you think that has changed? That is part of his philosophy, leopard and spots. I hate the guy and to him I say.... :74
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:51 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

There is some question whether the DBs are a product of Daz or Brown, since everyone currently contributing was recruited while Brown was still here (I think).

In fairness, Moore, Yiadom, Denis and Harris are good enough to keep most freshmen and sophomores off the field. But Cheevers has played very well of late. I'm guessing we are going to be happy with the play of Sebastian, Muse, Stewart et. al when they actually need to see the field.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:55 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:Are you folks that desperate for some semblance of winning football that you're willing to see what Addazio can do next year? That is sad. I'll tell you what he'll do next year...6-6 or maybe 7-5. He is a horrible coach plain and simple. 5 or 6 games don't make a career. You can easily look at these last 5 wins and explain a lot of that success away. What has Addazio done over the previous 4.5 years to prove otherwise? Okay, he has been a decent recruiter but he's also failed miserably at developing a quarterback because of moves like Towles. Also don't forget the guy's in game mentality that he displayed during last year's championship game. Do you think that has changed? That is part of his philosophy, leopard and spots. I hate the guy and to him I say.... :74

You can explain wins away, but you can't explain away a complete change in philosophy that led to a series of curbstompings over conference opponents. To ignore that or compare it to previous runs of success largely built on weak OOC schedules is simply being ignorant for ignorance's sake. And frankly, I think the guy is an idiot, but I don't think he was calling the gameday shots for most of the past 6 weeks, and as long as he is not calling the gameday shots, he's a pretty good coach. Players like him and play hard, even though his shtick annoys us, and the recruiting success has been documented. And he works hard and is pretty good on TV when he is not ranting at a ref (of which he has done less this season).
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:58 am

I do think the DBs miss the position coaching they got under Brown and Lempa. But the talent coming in continues to look strong. Cheevers and Torres both looked good the more they got on the field.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium