Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Addazio will turn out to be a great hire

Postby TontoKowalski on Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:05 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}: if they play like they did 5 of the last 6 games for a full season, they win a lot more that 7.

...and if my grandma had balls, she'd be my grandpa.

(I like you teddy - always have - we will see soon enough how good he is)

5 of 6 with 4 curbstompings starts to become a decent sample size.

Why sample when you have a comprehensive history? You're running a regression on carefully selected data. I say the heinz hammer reverts to the mean.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:03 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}: if they play like they did 5 of the last 6 games for a full season, they win a lot more that 7.

...and if my grandma had balls, she'd be my grandpa.

(I like you teddy - always have - we will see soon enough how good he is)

5 of 6 with 4 curbstompings starts to become a decent sample size.

Why sample when you have a comprehensive history? You're running a regression on carefully selected data. I say the heinz hammer reverts to the mean.

The question though is whether there has been a Sea change or whether it is an anomaly. We aren't evaluating his tenure as a whole. We know that is mediocre to date. The longer curbstompings are the norm, the more you have to see a trend.

He could very well go back to meddling and the offense sucking. Or this 85 plays a game no huddle throat crushing mentality could stick.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:30 pm

Denis made second team All America. He was a two star with offers from UMass and Holy Cross. Daz is a terrible game manager, but the guy can recruit.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:18 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Denis made second team All America. He was a two star with offers from UMass and Holy Cross. Daz is a terrible game manager, but the guy can recruit.

Petrula and Dillon made ESPN's Freshman All American Team.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... erica-team
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:25 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Denis made second team All America. He was a two star with offers from UMass and Holy Cross. Daz is a terrible game manager, but the guy can recruit.

I'm curious who's going to play C next year. And what will the rest of our line look like?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:10 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I'm curious who's going to play C next year. And what will the rest of our line look like?

Is the guy who Petrula replaced graduating?
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:13 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Is the guy who Petrula replaced graduating?

Getting hurt in week 1 makes me think he will have a great chance to get a medical redshirt approved.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:37 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

5 spots for 7 guys next year. It will be interesting to see how it works out.
Pretty incredible what Petrula did this season as a true FR having never played the position until 5 days before his first start.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:56 pm

this narrative can't be right. we've been reassured time and again that youth and injuries are always a bad thing
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:32 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

5 spots for 7 guys next year. It will be interesting to see how it works out.
Pretty incredible what Petrula did this season as a true FR having never played the position until 5 days before his first start.

We've seen formations from Daz where we see more than 5 OL on the field. I've seen some lineup in the backfield blocking for the RB and on occasion, have heard on the telecast that there's more than 5 OL at the LOS.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:08 am

this past offseason we lost 2 of our 7 best OL to injury and then a third about a quarter of a game into the season. unfortunately I'm sure it'll sort itself out
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:59 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:this past offseason we lost 2 of our 7 best OL to injury and then a third about a quarter of a game into the season. unfortunately I'm sure it'll sort itself out

We also lost Leonard who probably would have been the starting C after Baker went down.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:28 am

On the bright side, it's now been 5 years and the program is undeniably rebuilt from the Spaz years. There's talent on the roster and there's real promise for the future. But it's really not clear how much Daz specifically deserves credit for the turnaround or whether any reasonably competent non-Diaco type hire would've been able to do the same.

I know I get shit for being a Daz apologist around here, but now after 5 years I'd like to officially join the Fire Daz team, not in the same irate pitchfork kind of way we all joined "Fire Spaz," but more in the ho-hum "this is getting lame" way we all came around to "Fire TOB." Until Daz proves otherwise, I have zero faith he'll be able to seriously compete for an ACC title. I also have zero expectation Daz will get fired (and actually hope it doesn't happen this off-season), but at the very least there should be no extensions and Daz should be quietly encouraged to find other options as his contract is dying down. And if things that a turn for the worse next year, the pitchforks come back out.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:31 am

7-6
7-6
3-9
7-6
7-6

great hire

doesn't matter if he's brought in a team of alabama players in terms of talent if he's gonna be the imbecile running the show
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:44 am

would also be shocked if he got fired if he wins 7 or more games.

with games against: umass, holy cross, and temple, thats 3.

then: @purdue, cuse, @wake, thats at least 2 more.

will only have to eek out two of: clemson, louisville, miami, @FSU, @nc state, @VT

7-5. 8-4 at best.

lather rinse repeat
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:53 am

His contract runs through 2020. He'll coach 2018 no matter what. Make it clear to him there's no renewal coming and he may be able to leverage his "success" at BC into another head-coaching gig somewhere...maybe even a desperate bottom-barrel P5. With half a brain he'll make the switch after the 2019 season so he's not in his final year without a fallback plan. If we're lucky he makes the switch after 2018.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:59 am

hes going to go get to 8 wins (even if it takes a bowl) and get an extension.

i would make a gasson level bet on it

i bet this idiot coaches here for at least 3 more years
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:06 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:hes going to go get to 8 wins (even if it takes a bowl) and get an extension.

I can only hope that with all the recent investment in the football program that the bar is set higher than 8-wins. Leahy obviously can prevent Daz from getting fired, but is Leahy really going to tell Jarmond to renew Daz? That seems unlikely. I also don't think Jarmond will be content establishing his AD reputation on a perpetual 7-8 win coach...
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:14 am

ATL makes it sound like an extension is imminent. Is anyone else hearing this?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:27 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:ATL makes it sound like an extension is imminent. Is anyone else hearing this?

Under no circumstances should this boob be extended again unless he has shown an ability to learn how to coach a football team on gameday. Extending shitty coaches is one of those Bates/GDF things that got us into this mess in the first place.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby eagletx on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:33 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:On the bright side, it's now been 5 years and the program is undeniably rebuilt from the Spaz years. There's talent on the roster and there's real promise for the future. But it's really not clear how much Daz specifically deserves credit for the turnaround or whether any reasonably competent non-Diaco type hire would've been able to do the same.

I know I get shit for being a Daz apologist around here, but now after 5 years I'd like to officially join the Fire Daz team, not in the same irate pitchfork kind of way we all joined "Fire Spaz," but more in the ho-hum "this is getting lame" way we all came around to "Fire TOB." Until Daz proves otherwise, I have zero faith he'll be able to seriously compete for an ACC title. I also have zero expectation Daz will get fired (and actually hope it doesn't happen this off-season), but at the very least there should be no extensions and Daz should be quietly encouraged to find other options as his contract is dying down. And if things that a turn for the worse next year, the pitchforks come back out.

Maybe that wholly characteristic coaching exhibition against Iowa brought you around, huh? I mean, you had snippets of all the things that Addazio has demonstrated for five years now: Lack of clock and game management; playing to get to a potential fourth quarter victory (or more specifically, playing not to lose until he can get to fourth quarter); the creative play calling and incredible adjustments made as game progressed; etc...etc...etc...

yeah, I'm sure that field conditions were a factor, but amazingly enough, they made both teams play on an "even playing field"; and of course, lets not forget the injuries that hamstrung BC in that game, and forget that Iowa was playing less two starting OL men yesterday. Yes, I'm sure that there were issues that abound that explained an all too characteristic performance.

Addazio is what he is as far as a coaching performer. I believe we have seen everything there is to see. I credit him with bringing in some otherwise unrecognized talent, kids who one has to say played very well in unexpected roles. And still, he romps to another 7-6 season.

No extension I hope, until he demonstrates an ability to raise a team up to league championship contending levels, and next year has to be the "show me" year, with the returnees and the schedule aligning.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:38 am

Seriously ... come out and play, all you daz ballwashers. Where are you? How do you say seven-six in Italian? Sette sei?

This guy is THE WORST - Jarmond will take flak for firing a "winning" coach (who does Boston College think they are?) when he should be applauded for doing so. But it will be extremely difficult for him to get rid of Captain Ketchup.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:42 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:hes going to go get to 8 wins (even if it takes a bowl) and get an extension.

I don't think he gets an extension. That said, I don't think he'll be fired either. Jarmond will simply let him play out the remainder of his current contract and that will probably be it. So (depending on when the extension terminates in 2020) IMHO, he will be the coach for only two or three more seasons. Hopefully just two.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:30 am

Taking anything away from yesterday’s game would be silly. The conditions were ridiculous to the point of being absurd. There did seem to be a lot of indecision in the playcalling yesterday. But it didn’t cost us the game. Wades second pick and his fumble were terrible as was his whole play on the final drive. I really wanted Wade to succeed but unfortunately I just don’t think he has “it”. Sone quarterbacks do and others don’t. It’s not a tools thing because I think he is physically blessed. Just doesn’t have the awareness of a Matt Ryan, Matt hasselbaxk, or Tyler Murphy to name a few.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:32 am

He earned a one-year extension by turning around this season. 7-6 isn’t terrible, it’s just treading water.
Next year absolutely has to be a put up or shut up year. Anything less than eight wins is inexcusable with the schedule we have, the talent we have, the experience we will have, etc. I don’t care who is injured next year, but eight wins has to be the absolute minimum.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:11 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:On the bright side, it's now been 5 years and the program is undeniably rebuilt from the Spaz years. There's talent on the roster and there's real promise for the future. But it's really not clear how much Daz specifically deserves credit for the turnaround or whether any reasonably competent non-Diaco type hire would've been able to do the same.

Maybe that wholly characteristic coaching exhibition against Iowa brought you around, huh? I mean, you had snippets of all the things that Addazio has demonstrated for five years now: Lack of clock and game management; playing to get to a potential fourth quarter victory (or more specifically, playing not to lose until he can get to fourth quarter); the creative play calling and incredible adjustments made as game progressed; etc...etc...etc...

yeah, I'm sure that field conditions were a factor, but amazingly enough, they made both teams play on an "even playing field"; and of course, lets not forget the injuries that hamstrung BC in that game, and forget that Iowa was playing less two starting OL men yesterday. Yes, I'm sure that there were issues that abound that explained an all too characteristic performance.

Addazio is what he is as far as a coaching performer. I believe we have seen everything there is to see. I credit him with bringing in some otherwise unrecognized talent, kids who one has to say played very well in unexpected roles. And still, he romps to another 7-6 season.

No extension I hope, until he demonstrates an ability to raise a team up to league championship contending levels, and next year has to be the "show me" year, with the returnees and the schedule aligning.

I think this was 100% accurate up until the VT game this year. I don't think I'm alone in sensing a significant change in the 2nd half of the year. Daz seemed much less involved in offensive play calling. The coordinators, including Loeffler, largely seemed limited only by personnel. Also, I think Daz hasn't shown as many major in-game bungles a la Wake in '15 in this past season. Maybe it was just the growing threat of getting fired, but I think there were actual changes the second half of the year. But yes, there's still an excessively conservative philosophy, I'll give you that.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:31 pm

No Daz in the CFP Coaches Film Room this year. I think he was blacklisted for eating on the air last year.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eagletx on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:04 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Taking anything away from yesterday’s game would be silly. The conditions were ridiculous to the point of being absurd. There did seem to be a lot of indecision in the playcalling yesterday. But it didn’t cost us the game. Wades second pick and his fumble were terrible as was his whole play on the final drive. I really wanted Wade to succeed but unfortunately I just don’t think he has “it”. Sone quarterbacks do and others don’t. It’s not a tools thing because I think he is physically blessed. Just doesn’t have the awareness of a Matt Ryan, Matt hasselbaxk, or Tyler Murphy to name a few.

I agree (despite all of Addazio's nonsense about it being a neck and neck QB competition before the season) that Wade doesn 't have it. However, I think they rolled him out one or twice all game, thereby reducing whatever effectiveness he had demonstrated in two games prior. He isn't a pocket passer at all. Too short, to lacking in an internal clock, no timing, whatever the faults...buy still they basically kept him in the pocket, taking away what effectiveness he may have had as a thrower and a running threat. The playcalling was back to what we saw before Dillon became a focal point in the offense. I mean, shit, this was an effectively meaningless bowl game. The TO'S were a big difference, but only after we stumbled into the fourth quarter of another close scoring game. By that time, we were only one aw shit away from losing, and guess what.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:21 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:Taking anything away from yesterday’s game would be silly. The conditions were ridiculous to the point of being absurd. There did seem to be a lot of indecision in the playcalling yesterday. But it didn’t cost us the game. Wades second pick and his fumble were terrible as was his whole play on the final drive. I really wanted Wade to succeed but unfortunately I just don’t think he has “it”. Sone quarterbacks do and others don’t. It’s not a tools thing because I think he is physically blessed. Just doesn’t have the awareness of a Matt Ryan, Matt hasselbaxk, or Tyler Murphy to name a few.

I agree (despite all of Addazio's nonsense about it being a neck and neck QB competition before the season) that Wade doesn 't have it. However, I think they rolled him out one or twice all game, thereby reducing whatever effectiveness he had demonstrated in two games prior. He isn't a pocket passer at all. Too short, to lacking in an internal clock, no timing, whatever the faults...buy still they basically kept him in the pocket, taking away what effectiveness he may have had as a thrower and a running threat. The playcalling was back to what we saw before Dillon became a focal point in the offense. I mean, shit, this was an effectively meaningless bowl game. The TO'S were a big difference, but only after we stumbled into the fourth quarter of another close scoring game. By that time, we were only one aw shit away from losing, and guess what.

It needs to be said that Wade did actually make some good throws yesterday, including from the pocket. He also made some good decisions on scrambling and getting rid of the ball. The 1st INT was not his fault and I don't think the fumble was his fault. Some key drops probably hurt as much as any bad throws did.

I'd be ok with Wade starting '18. Not thrilled, but ok with it, maybe even a little optimistic.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:46 pm

No extension, until after next year's results.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium