explosions at marathon

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: explosions at marathon

Postby eagle216 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:45 am

A person has no constitutional right to have Miranda rights read to them. The rule is simply that IF the prosecution wishes to use the byproduct of custodial interogation on their direct case at trial, such must have been secured after a valid waiver of Miranda rights.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:47 am

eagle216 {l Wrote}:A person has no constitutional right to have Miranda rights read to them. The rule is simply that IF the prosecution wishes to use the byproduct of custodial interogation on their direct case at trial, such must have been secured after a valid waiver of Miranda rights.

No way, really?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:56 am

I don't want to read a bunch of posts that are likely wrong. Is the argument that he has already lost the possibility for a fair trial due to police action (in which case as mentioned there has not yet been harm and admissibility and not rights violation is at issue) or that by deeming him a foreign combatant or whatever and giving him a military tribunal he will not receive a fair trial in the same way he otherwise would?

I agree with the second, not the first.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:01 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I don't want to read a bunch of posts that are likely wrong. Is the argument that he has already lost the possibility for a fair trial due to police action (in which case as mentioned there has not yet been harm and admissibility and not rights violation is at issue) or that by deeming him a foreign combatant or whatever and giving him a military tribunal he will not receive a fair trial in the same way he otherwise would?

Isn't the second point moot now?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:02 am

People seem to forget that whatever distinctions they think can be easily carved-out for this case will apply to other US citizens going forward as well. Again, leave your emotions at the door and ask why a military tribunal is even necessary. With the possible exception of expediency, I can't see the added benefit. On top of that, the negative implications on the rights of other citizens going forward far outweigh that tiny benefit. Typical I respect the law unless I disagree with it mentality.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:04 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I don't want to read a bunch of posts that are likely wrong. Is the argument that he has already lost the possibility for a fair trial due to police action (in which case as mentioned there has not yet been harm and admissibility and not rights violation is at issue) or that by deeming him a foreign combatant or whatever and giving him a military tribunal he will not receive a fair trial in the same way he otherwise would?

I believe the argument is that he should lose some pretty basic rights of a US citizen because of his actions - which is a scary propostion. Oh and that he didn't wear a uniform, which is relavant in about zero ways.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:06 am

talon {l Wrote}:Image

Stay classy, Women’s Blue Chip basketball League.

Yes, how dare they not realize that their would be a bombing in Boston sometime int he future after they had chosen that name.

I guess you applauded the Washington Bullets name change, too.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby talon on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:09 am

If HJS can call out Nike for their lack of clairvoyance, why can't I diss a women's semi-professional basketball team?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby talon on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:13 am

Tamerlan's sister's husband:

"he was angry that the world pictures Islam as a violent religion"
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle216 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:13 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle216 {l Wrote}:A person has no constitutional right to have Miranda rights read to them. The rule is simply that IF the prosecution wishes to use the byproduct of custodial interogation on their direct case at trial, such must have been secured after a valid waiver of Miranda rights.

No way, really?

My sarcasm meter is in the shop, so I will just assume this is a serious inquiry. The large majority of arrestees in the US are not read Miranda rights. These are simply mundane, run-of-the-mill, arrest to which Miranda rights are just a waste of time and not necessary. Securing a confession via custodial interrogation is simply not needed or worth the effort. In fact, many of these people admit what they did in a non-custodial interrogation setting, to which Miranda is not a prerequisite for use in Court anyway. None of these people are having any constitutional rights violated. Securing a Miranda waiver, which necessarily requires Miranda rights be read, is limited to more significant arrests where the police deem it worthy to invest the time and energy needed to secure a waiver and conduct custodial interrogation. If custodial interrogation is used without a Miranda waiver being secured, the remedy is simply that the prosecutor can not use anything the defendant says on their direct case at trial.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:14 am

The Constitution - pick and choose
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:14 am

talon {l Wrote}:Tamerlan's sister's husband:

Spaz was pouting because others thought he looked sad all the time.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:14 am

I detest this douchebag, but I have no interest in the government having the power to declare an American citizen, arrested on American soil, an enemy combatant subject to deprivation of the rights accord an American citizen on the basis of a nebulous definition of "terrorism."
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:15 am

eagle216 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

No way, really?

My sarcasm meter is in the shop, so I will just assume this is a serious inquiry. The large majority of arrestees in the US are not read Miranda rights. These are simply mundane, run-of-the-mill, arrest to which Miranda rights are just a waste of time and not necessary. Securing a confession via custodial interrogation is simply not needed or worth the effort. In fact, many of these people admit what they did in a non-custodial interrogation setting, to which Miranda is not a prerequisite for use in Court anyway. None of these people are having any constitutional rights violated. Securing a Miranda waiver, which necessarily requires Miranda rights be read, is limited to more significant arrests where the police deem it worthy to invest the time and energy needed to secure a waiver and conduct custodial interrogation. If custodial interrogation is used without a Miranda waiver being secured, the remedy is simply that the prosecutor can not use anything the defendant says on their direct case at trial.

I was being sarcastic, but there are a few people that could afford to read your excellent summary.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:17 am

eagle216 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

No way, really?

I think you're wrong. No Miranda = immunity and pizza party for the defendant.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:17 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

He wasn't sad all the time. He loved dogs, cookies, and naps.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:19 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

SPAZ DEFENDER!
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:22 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

SPAZ DEFENDER!

C'mon. How can you not love Spaz? HE WAS LOYAL!!!
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle216 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:22 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle216 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

No way, really?

I was being sarcastic, but there are a few people that could afford to read your excellent summary.

As a law talking guy, I can't tell you how many times I have had a client tell me they want to sue the police for a bazillion dollars because they were not read their Miranda rights after a silly misdemeanor arrest.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:25 am

eagle216 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle216 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

No way, really?

As a law talking guy, I can't tell you how many times I have had a client tell me they want to sue the police for a bazillion dollars because they were not read their Miranda rights after a silly misdemeanor arrest.

Some who may post on this board, methinks.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:25 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I'll assume so from your post, I haven't read much.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:26 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

He was indicted.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:27 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

I believe the argument is that he should lose some pretty basic rights of a US citizen because of his actions - which is a scary propostion. Oh and that he didn't wear a uniform, which is relavant in about zero ways.

that is scary and stupid. If I were to blame nospace and gallopingghost would I be in the ballpark?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:28 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

He was indicted.

this is more efficient than reading the news, thank you.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:33 am

"You lose your right to a trial by committing acts of terrorism" pretty much does away with the whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:45 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

that is scary and stupid. If I were to blame nospace and gallopingghost would I be in the ballpark?

1/2 ain't bad. You still win the washer/dryer.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:07 am

Anyone else bothered by how some of the media is portraying the 19 year old? Some are portraying him almost as a victim. That he was brainwashed by his older brother, and that we should in some way feel bad for this evil little prick. CNN's lead is "This person just took his brain" and "Uncle: My nephew was brainwashed." I don't care what influence his older brother, or Allah, or whoever else may have had on him. He still walked into a crowd of innocent men, women, and children and knowingly dropped a bomb by their feet. I hate to bring politics into it, but it's essentially the liberal media pimping this shit out. Disgusts me to no end.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:16 am

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:Anyone else bothered by how some of the media is portraying the 19 year old? Some are portraying him almost as a victim. That he was brainwashed by his older brother, and that we should in some way feel bad for this evil little prick. CNN's lead is "This person just took his brain" and "Uncle: My nephew was brainwashed." I don't care what influence his older brother, or Allah, or whoever else may have had on him. He still walked into a crowd of innocent men, women, and children and knowingly dropped a bomb by their feet. I hate to bring politics into it, but it's essentially the liberal media pimping this shit out. Disgusts me to no end.

I believe the media is reporting that his friends and relatives are saying this...which is kinda their job. I don't see anyone but the people making those statements implying he is the victim.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:17 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:Anyone else bothered by how some of the media is portraying the 19 year old? Some are portraying him almost as a victim. That he was brainwashed by his older brother, and that we should in some way feel bad for this evil little prick. CNN's lead is "This person just took his brain" and "Uncle: My nephew was brainwashed." I don't care what influence his older brother, or Allah, or whoever else may have had on him. He still walked into a crowd of innocent men, women, and children and knowingly dropped a bomb by their feet. I hate to bring politics into it, but it's essentially the liberal media pimping this shit out. Disgusts me to no end.

I believe the media is reporting that his friends and relatives are saying this...which is kinda their job. I don't see anyone but the people making those statements implying he is the victim.

Agreed. Regardless, it is hardly surprising.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:24 am

I'm on the phone with someone from Arizona right now. Between this interaction, mattheeagle and nospace I am getting the impression that there may be a problem.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium