explosions at marathon

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: explosions at marathon

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:59 pm

"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:02 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Back on topic for a second...

Up close and personal pics from the shootout

The one taken in his roommate's bedroom is scary shit.

Gone
UPDATE 3:20PM 4/23/2013: I have decided to take down the photos during the ongoing investigation.
On Thursday night [Friday morning] at 12:45am EST. I was in my living room working on my computer when I heard multiple “pops” coming from outside. At that point, I had no idea that I was about to become an eye witness to the biggest news story in the country.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:03 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/petition-to-guarantee-dzhokhar-tsarnaev-the-right-to-a-fair-trial

God, I just hate people sometimes

Someone explain to me how Sandy Hook was an "inside job."
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:06 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/petition-to-guarantee-dzhokhar-tsarnaev-the-right-to-a-fair-trial

BCEagles25 would be happy to.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:13 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:

These people are just sad. You really couldn't have much more evidence than this - one of the reasons why Miranda was irrelevant.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby talon on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:18 pm

I don't think he's being framed as part of a conspiracy, but I don't see why he shouldn't have the right to a fair trial. And since MA is a bunch of anti-death penalty pussies and he committed all his crimes in MA, I hope the feds go after a life sentence.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:46 pm

What indication is there that he will not receive a fair trial?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:49 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:What indication is there that he will not receive a fair trial?

I'm pretty sure that they will make very sure that he gets a fair trial.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:53 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:What indication is there that he will not receive a fair trial?

I'm pretty sure that they will make very sure that he gets a fair trial.

Yup
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:01 pm

Classic misdirection - support a fair trial (by the way they are innocent). How many dickholes supported it without realizing the person behind it thinks they are wrongly accused?

Just saw a Stephen Lynch ad leveraging the tragedy for his political gain. I hope he gets hammered for it.

I wonder how many "this is our fucking city" t-shirt millionaires will emerge in the next couple months.

Fom tremendous tragedy comes tremendous humanity comes tremendous exploitation.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:18 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:

BCEagles25 would be happy to.

if I had any doubt there'd be a fair trial then I'd certainly sign it.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:34 pm

I could care less whether Dzhokhar Tsarnaev receives a fair trial. The issue here isn't identity, if it were, perhaps there should be some sort of preliminary hearing limited to this issue. Terrorists don't deserve the same rights as others. Overall I don't understand why he should receive more rights than we give enemy combatants at military tribunals? Mere citizenship is not enough when one chooses to completely disregard their oath to become a citizen.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:43 pm

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:I could care less whether Dzhokhar Tsarnaev receives a fair trial. The issue here isn't identity, if it were, perhaps there should be some sort of preliminary hearing limited to this issue. Terrorists don't deserve the same rights as others. Overall I don't understand why he should receive more rights than we give enemy combatants at military tribunals? Mere citizenship is not enough when one chooses to completely disregard their oath to become a citizen.

i would catergorize him as an "illegal combatant" since he did not wear a uniform

http://www.ejectejecteject.com/archives/000125.html

Bill Whittle {l Wrote}:Let's speak to the Perennially Outraged as if they were the fully grown, post-pubescent children they pride themselves on being.

What is the obvious difference between an enemy Prisoner of War, and an Unlawful Combatant? Suppose two of them were standing in a line-up. What one glaringly obvious thing sets them apart?

That's right! One is wearing a uniform, and the other isn't.

And why do soldiers wear uniforms?

It certainly is not to protect the soldier. As a matter of fact, a soldier's uniform is actually a big flashing neon arrow pointing to some kid that says to the enemy, SHOOT ME!

And that's one of the things a uniform is for. It makes the soldier into a target to be killed.

Now if that's all there was to it, you might say that the whole uniform thing is not such a groovy idea. BUT! What a uniform also does -- the corollary to the whole idea of a uniformed person is to say that if the individual wearing a uniform is a legitimate target, then the person standing next to him in civilian clothes is not.

By wearing uniforms, soldiers differentiate themselves to the enemy. They assume additional risk in order to protect the civilian population. In other words, by identifying themselves as targets with their uniforms, the fighters provide a Sanctuary to the unarmed civilian population.

And this Sanctuary is as old as human history. The first civilized people on Earth, these very same Iraqis, who had cities and agriculture and arts and letters when my ancestors were living in caves, wore uniforms as soldiers of Babylon. This is an ancient covenant, and willfully breaking it is unspeakably dishonorable.

send him to Gitmo or have him executed as a spy
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:50 pm

Holy cow. It's amazing how many people who praise the Constitution will completely ignore it when they are feeling overly emotional.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:44 pm

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:I could care less whether Dzhokhar Tsarnaev receives a fair trial. The issue here isn't identity, if it were, perhaps there should be some sort of preliminary hearing limited to this issue. Terrorists don't deserve the same rights as others. Overall I don't understand why he should receive more rights than we give enemy combatants at military tribunals? Mere citizenship is not enough when one chooses to completely disregard their oath to become a citizen.

Matt, you just told a couple hundred law-talkin guys that you don't respect the rule of law. You trust government flunkies to play by whatever rules they want which is super swell when they are stringing up some caucasian goons who murdered 4 people, but it is not swell at all when they start applying those standards all willy nilly.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:17 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Holy cow. It's amazing how many people who praise the Constitution will completely ignore it when they are feeling overly emotional.

who needs the constitution when you have legalzoom
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:56 pm

I respect the constitution. He will get a fair trial. And he is toast.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MattTheEagle on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:47 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

Matt, you just told a couple hundred law-talkin guys that you don't respect the rule of law. You trust government flunkies to play by whatever rules they want which is super swell when they are stringing up some caucasian goons who murdered 4 people, but it is not swell at all when they start applying those standards all willy nilly.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I am only suggesting we carve out a narrow exception to terrorists. I am no constitutional scholar, but the US Supreme Court has already determined that certain people are not entitled to full due process rights in Hamdi v. Rumsfeld. I believe someone who engages in an act of terrorism should be deemed as an enemy of the state who, if they once received citizenship, has voluntarily renounced it. This wouldn't be any different than how we treat enemy combatants in military tribunals, which the US government has legitimized despite it being something less than a "fair trial." I believe murderers, even mass murderers, are entitled to a fair trial, but here we are dealing with acts of terrorism as acknowledged by the President.

I don't mean to get into a debate, I just want to be clear that I do support the Constitution and rule of law. I understand most of the lawyers on this board disagree with me. I just happen to come out the other way believing in the instance of terrorism, a fair trial should not be constitutionally required.
Last edited by MattTheEagle on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:59 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:

i would catergorize him as an "illegal combatant" since he did not wear a uniform

http://www.ejectejecteject.com/archives/000125.html

Bill Whittle {l Wrote}:Let's speak to the Perennially Outraged as if they were the fully grown, post-pubescent children they pride themselves on being.

What is the obvious difference between an enemy Prisoner of War, and an Unlawful Combatant? Suppose two of them were standing in a line-up. What one glaringly obvious thing sets them apart?

That's right! One is wearing a uniform, and the other isn't.

And why do soldiers wear uniforms?

It certainly is not to protect the soldier. As a matter of fact, a soldier's uniform is actually a big flashing neon arrow pointing to some kid that says to the enemy, SHOOT ME!

And that's one of the things a uniform is for. It makes the soldier into a target to be killed.

Now if that's all there was to it, you might say that the whole uniform thing is not such a groovy idea. BUT! What a uniform also does -- the corollary to the whole idea of a uniformed person is to say that if the individual wearing a uniform is a legitimate target, then the person standing next to him in civilian clothes is not.

By wearing uniforms, soldiers differentiate themselves to the enemy. They assume additional risk in order to protect the civilian population. In other words, by identifying themselves as targets with their uniforms, the fighters provide a Sanctuary to the unarmed civilian population.

And this Sanctuary is as old as human history. The first civilized people on Earth, these very same Iraqis, who had cities and agriculture and arts and letters when my ancestors were living in caves, wore uniforms as soldiers of Babylon. This is an ancient covenant, and willfully breaking it is unspeakably dishonorable.

send him to Gitmo or have him executed as a spy

Full on stupid.

He's toast if they play this by the book.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:21 am

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

Nothing could be further from the truth. I am only suggesting we carve out a narrow exception to terrorists. I am no constitutional scholar, but the US Supreme Court has already determined that certain people are not entitled to full due process rights in Hamdi v. Rumsfeld. I believe someone who engages in an act of terrorism should be deemed as an enemy of the state who, if they once received citizenship, has voluntarily renounced it. This wouldn't be any different than how we treat enemy combatants in military tribunals, which the US government has legitimized despite it being something less than a "fair trial." I believe murderers, even mass murderers, are entitled to a fair trial, but here we are dealing with acts of terrorism as acknowledged by the President.

I don't mean to get into a debate, I just want to be clear that I do support the Constitution and rule of law. I understand most of the lawyers on this board disagree with me. I just happen to come out the other way believing in the instance of terrorism, a fair trial should not be constitutionally required.

What makes this kid different from, say, the asshole in Colorado who shot up the movie theater?
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:48 am

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

What makes this kid different from, say, the asshole in Colorado who shot up the movie theater?

is the answer IEDs? in my mind, that's a game changer... assault rifles are one thing but garage built bombs are a different animal

EDIT - i have no gun owners agenda and my comment was not meant to further any gun owner agenda.
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby NotoriousOrange on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:56 am

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

I am not advocating Matt's position. But In answer to APBC, IMO the difference is - the Colorado guy acted out of mental illness - these two acted out of a Jihadist mentality and religious & political beliefs .

There are networks of terrorists who are current and future threats - not so much in the way of networks of mentally ill people
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:43 am

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:Nothing could be further from the truth. I am only suggesting we carve out a narrow exception to terrorists. I am no constitutional scholar, but the US Supreme Court has already determined that certain people are not entitled to full due process rights in Hamdi v. Rumsfeld. I believe someone who engages in an act of terrorism should be deemed as an enemy of the state who, if they once received citizenship, has voluntarily renounced it. This wouldn't be any different than how we treat enemy combatants in military tribunals, which the US government has legitimized despite it being something less than a "fair trial." I believe murderers, even mass murderers, are entitled to a fair trial, but here we are dealing with acts of terrorism as acknowledged by the President.

I think your mistake here is you are assuming an IB-like "there will be a definition of terrorism and it is LAW and it will never change" when the fact is, since 9/11, both administrations have shown flexibility when they go to define terrorism, enemy combatants, or anything else to fit the strategy they'd like to take. I think your justification earlier was that the President called this an act of terror on TV. What is the definition that he employed when he said this? Was it his judgement? Or did the act fit a pre-defined legal definition?

He's an American citizen, like it or not. He should be tried as an American citizen. What is the worry? A jury of his peers will exonerate him?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby apbc12 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:45 am

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

Nothing could be further from the truth. I am only suggesting we carve out a narrow exception to terrorists. I am no constitutional scholar, but the US Supreme Court has already determined that certain people are not entitled to full due process rights in Hamdi v. Rumsfeld. I believe someone who en gages in an act of terrorism should be deemed as an enemy of the state who, if they once received citizenship, has voluntarily renounced it. This wouldn't be any different than how we treat enemy combatants in military tribunals, which the US government has legitimized despite it being something less than a "fair trial." I believe murderers, even mass murderers, are entitled to a fair trial, but here we are dealing with acts of terrorism as acknowledged by the President.

I am not advocating Matt's position. But In answer to APBC, IMO the difference is - the Colorado guy acted out of mental illness - these two acted out of a Jihadist mentality and religious & political beliefs .

There are networks of terrorists who are current and future threats - not so much in the way of networks of mentally ill people

A) I would dispute your contention that a person can place a bomb in a public place, aimed at killing aas many innocent people as possible, without some mental illness, regardless of proclaimed motivation.

B) Nothing about giving the bomber his constitutional rights prevents the government from interrogating him and finding out what, if anything, he knows about other potential terrorists or plots.

C) If the issue is IEDs, James Holmes filled his apartment with all sorts of explosives in the hopes that neighbors and/or police would enter the apartment and get blown up.

D) If he doesn't get a fair trial because he's Muslim, you're doubling down on constitutional violations. Our constitution - and granting its protections even when we would really rather not- is part of what makes us better than the dicks who would kill innocent people to change us.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby talon on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:47 am

John Allen Muhammad and Lee Boyd Malvo weren't tried as enemy combatants. They certainly terrorized the shit out of the DC suburbs.

Other than just being really pissed off, what are the benefits to trying in military court instead of federal or state court?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby talon on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:57 am

Stay classy, Women’s Blue Chip basketball League.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:26 am

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

Nothing could be further from the truth. I am only suggesting we carve out a narrow exception to terrorists. I am no constitutional scholar, but the US Supreme Court has already determined that certain people are not entitled to full due process rights in Hamdi v. Rumsfeld. I believe someone who en gages in an act of terrorism should be deemed as an enemy of the state who, if they once received citizenship, has voluntarily renounced it. This wouldn't be any different than how we treat enemy combatants in military tribunals, which the US government has legitimized despite it being something less than a "fair trial." I believe murderers, even mass murderers, are entitled to a fair trial, but here we are dealing with acts of terrorism as acknowledged by the President.

A) I would dispute your contention that a person can place a bomb in a public place, aimed at killing aas many innocent people as possible, without some mental illness, regardless of proclaimed motivation.

B) Nothing about giving the bomber his constitutional rights prevents the government from interrogating him and finding out what, if anything, he knows about other potential terrorists or plots.

C) If the issue is IEDs, James Holmes filled his apartment with all sorts of explosives in the hopes that neighbors and/or police would enter the apartment and get blown up.

D) If he doesn't get a fair trial because he's Muslim, you're doubling down on constitutional violations. Our constitution - and granting its protections even when we would really rather not- is part of what makes us better than the dicks who would kill innocent people to change us.

As I highlighted in the above I am not advocating for Matt's position and am for a fair trial for him, and all Muslims, or any people grouped by religion. That being said terrorists are different from mentally ill people, and there needs to be different ways of dealing with each. There needs to be an ability to act quickly and efficiently when there is an imminent terrorist threat. It is not the same as a run of the mill crime.
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:28 am

I am still confused as to what constitutional rights this dbag has been deprived.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby NotoriousOrange on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:29 am

I am not aware of any Teddy
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:29 am

Someone is sure to say Miranda again, which is annoying.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium