Proxy-War

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Proxy-War

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:22 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Shit ain't well. Just would ask people to rationally articulate the reasons why.

last year's football team was not very good. i believe this was a function of less than adequate coaching as well as the possession of talent that waned in comparison to the talent of most of our opponents.

since last year we added a new coach. this coach appears to have better sound bytes than the last guy and exudes more energy and enthusiasm than the last guy, so that's a net gain; however his first set of tangible results - the 2013 LOI day recruiting class - provided less than laudatory. his excuses for this lacking performance ring hollow and don't give the fan base the confidence they need in their unproven and untested new coaching staff.

add to that a 4 year period of declining performance and importance and you've got a powder keg of agendas waiting to explode. this message board acts not just like a match but like a nuclear weapon igniting anywhere and everywhere it can.

at least that's how i see it
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:24 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Through emails, other message boards and blogs, I will point out that these hysterics are occurring throughout the entire fanbase (with only a few dutifully playing the role of Kevin Bacon).

This all goes to how absolutely terribly received the hire has been. The mere act of firing Spaz brought people back to the program. It was the least controversial firing in the NCAA. Everyone ready to go in a new direction. However, they took all that pent-up excitement and goodwill and pissed it away. As has been said many times, by bringing in a woefully underwhelming hire, there would be no honeymoon. Daz was put immediately on the clock and each and every move he made from that point on would be scrutinized. The few positive moves (like hiring Don Brown were met with cautious optimism) and every perceived misstep has been criticized. The problem is that there simply hasn't been enough to be cautiously optimistic about.

Some will say that this isn't fair. They'd say that if Greg Roman or Bob Diaco was hired and they did literally EVERYTHING exactly the same as Dazoo has done, no one would be complaining. Instead, we'd be making excuses and asking for time. They'd be right. But, that is really the difference between hiring a known quantity versus someone with perceived upside. Nonetheless, Daziani is sitting on a 6 year $10.5mm contract (my guess) to handle such "injustice". BTW... this is just the tip of the iceberg. Apathy and hatred will continue like it was under Spaz if Daziani has a crap year and/or sucksass again in recruiting.

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:25 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Shit ain't well. Just would ask people to rationally articulate the reasons why.

last year's football team was not very good. i believe this was a function of less than adequate coaching as well as the possession of talent that waned in comparison to the talent of most of our opponents.

since last year we added a new coach. this coach appears to have better sound bytes than the last guy and exudes more energy and enthusiasm than the last guy, so that's a net gain; however his first set of tangible results - the 2013 LOI day recruiting class - provided less than laudatory. his excuses for this lacking performance ring hollow and don't give the fan base the confidence they need in their unproven and untested new coaching staff.

add to that a 4 year period of declining performance and importance and you've got a powder keg of agendas waiting to explode. this message board acts not just like a match but like a nuclear weapon igniting anywhere and everywhere it can.

If someone can explain to me how having negative scholarships to give from the jump is not a mitigating factor against damning the end of the 2013 recruiting class I will certainly listen. No one has come close.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:30 pm

i measure head coaches by wins and losses. going by that, there is no way to truly measure Addazio as a BC coach (yet). we know what he did at Temple and that isn't too impressive. since I am not impressed, it has lowered my expectations accordingly

I am hoping for the best but expecting/planning-for the worst. I am guessing every single BC fan on this site is probably sharing my hopes as well as my expectations

Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:31 pm

he seemed ot have enough to provide one to his add-nothing son. that's not the same as going to high school baseball games or knowing what kind of dog that is, but it's close :shrug
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:34 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:he seemed ot have enough to provide one to his add-nothing son. that's not the same as going to high school baseball games or knowing what kind of dog that is, but it's close :shrug

i didn't think louise got a scholly? isn't he just technically a "walk-on" for the team that goes to school "for free" because his dad is an employee?
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BCdee on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:37 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:he seemed ot have enough to provide one to his add-nothing son. that's not the same as going to high school baseball games or knowing what kind of dog that is, but it's close :shrug

Do we know if Louie definitely received a football scholarship?
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:38 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:

i didn't think louise got a scholly? isn't he just technically a "walk-on" for the team that goes to school "for free" because his dad is an employee?

no one has been able to prove this to me. i think he get treated just like any other scholarship athlete that came to campus to provide another sport with their abilities.

i'm standing with my fingers in my ears screaming HE'SONEOFTHE85!!!! until someone can prove it differently
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:39 pm

I don't think anyone knows. There is a rule whereupon you can't use a scholarship for one sport and then have the player walk on another team, but no one has concluded whether this applies to the child of faculty. It is arguable that the child of faculty thing is really not a scholarship as it is part of the compensation package.

Also, the transfer didn't occur until after two decomittments.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:40 pm

spring football cannot come soon enough.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:40 pm

no one has been able to prove this to me. i think he get treated just like any other scholarship athlete that came to campus to provide another sport with their abilities.

i'm standing with my fingers in my ears screaming HE'SONEOFTHE85!!!! until someone can prove it differently

This equally as backwards as my MTBS failed snark.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:44 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:spring football cannot come soon enough.

i disagree.
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:46 pm

i disagree.

I would like to see concrete evidence that spring football cannot come soon enough.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:47 pm

i can't prove one way or t'other.

all i know is that if you get your school paid for (in full) by one means, that allows you the flexibility to not have to use any other means to pay for your school.

it would make sense for Louis to take one of 85 schollies and go to Syracuse and NOT go to Temple for free. Syracuse is BCS, Temple is not. it no longer makes any sense for Louis to stay at Syracuse on scholly if he can play for his dad, go to school for free, and still be in the BCS. whether or not his education counts against the 85, that shouldn't matter to louis at all. it only matters to the NCAA
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:51 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

i disagree.

I would like to see concrete evidence that spring football cannot come soon enough.

although this goes against my previous argument, i will now support hansen's point (because i like it when the interns fight)

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:53 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I don't think anyone knows. There is a rule whereupon you can't use a scholarship for one sport and then have the player walk on another team, but no one has concluded whether this applies to the child of faculty. It is arguable that the child of faculty thing is really not a scholarship as it is part of the compensation package.

He either counts as a schollie or we banked a ship (and the carefully crafted argument about Daziani was offering kids only as ships became available is proven bullshit).

There are plenty of kids who are playing for their dads... including our own Keith Willis who certainly counted as a schollie... and for whom we successfully petitioned the NCAA and the ACC to let him play immediately.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:00 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

He either counts as a schollie or we banked a ship (and the carefully crafted argument about Daziani was offering kids only as ships became available is proven bullshit).

There are plenty of kids who are playing for their dads... including our own Keith Willis who certainly counted as a schollie... and for whom we successfully petitioned the NCAA and the ACC to let him play immediately.

As to the First: The argument is that he came in with zero scholarships. It is possible that he ended up banking one. It is also possible that he gave his kid one. If he banked one, it does not make the comparisons to schools in which the coach had 10+ spots available valid.

As to the Second: Do you know that the defensive line coach and the head coach have the same compensation package? I mean I know that not all professors get free tuition for their kids, but some do. I have no idea how that translates to assistant football coaches.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 31southst on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:05 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Yeah, it definitely is harder to recruit for fewer positions than more. Not just in terms of getting more guys but also in general terms of strategy to get higher ranked players. E.g. it is easier to offer more than one player and/or position at a time

Come on now. You know it is possible that Daz could have offered multiple people the same scholarship with the caveat that first to commit gets it, right (e.g., we're taking the first RB of Webb/Coppett/Davis to commit)? That is very common place in recruiting, especially at positions with more limited numbers (QB stands out). I very much stand by saying it should be easier to get 2 high quality guys than 6+.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:11 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Yeah, it definitely is harder to recruit for fewer positions than more. Not just in terms of getting more guys but also in general terms of strategy to get higher ranked players. E.g. it is easier to offer more than one player and/or position at a time

Come on now. You know it is possible that Daz could have offered multiple people the same scholarship with the caveat that first to commit gets it, right (e.g., we're taking the first RB of Webb/Coppett/Davis to commit)? That is very common place in recruiting, especially at positions with more limited numbers (QB stands out). I very much stand by saying it should be easier to get 2 high quality guys than 6+.

If you don't think it is harder to recruit with less or no spots I don't know what to tell you.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:15 pm

I have bolded and italicized the part where people are unable to provide a why. Had he come in to a roster with 55 scholarship players returning and 5-6 recruits on board, and he had a lackluster effort, I might agree. Instead he came into a full roster, was evidently told to keep recruits if they still wanted to come, and had a couple of defections. He filled these with slots with a highly touted yet oft-injured tackle as a stop gap for a year, and his backup plans at QB and RB when his top few choices did not pan out. Am I disappointed that he didn't get the 2 star players he wanted instead of the 2 star players he got? Sure, I guess.

I'd say I am more disappointed in what he let go, especially Boyle. But he doesn't think Boyle is a fit, so fine, even though I think it is stupid. But his efforts to replace him and fill out the class never had an opportunity to be anything other than lukewarm. So I should go all HJS because his class ended up being lukewarm instead of tepid?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:17 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I have bolded and italicized the part where people are unable to provide a why. Had he come in to a roster with 55 scholarship players returning and 5-6 recruits on board, and he had a lackluster effort, I might agree. Instead he came into a full roster, was evidently told to keep recruits if they still wanted to come, and had a couple of defections. He filled these with slots with a highly touted yet oft-injured tackle as a stop gap for a year, and his backup plans at QB and RB when his top few choices did not pan out. Am I disappointed that he didn't get the 2 star players he wanted instead of the 2 star players he got? Sure, I guess.

I'd say I am more disappointed in what he let go, especially Boyle. But he doesn't think Boyle is a fit, so fine, even though I think it is stupid. But his efforts to replace him and fill out the class never had an opportunity to be anything other than lukewarm. So I should go all HJS because his class ended up being lukewarm instead of tepid?

Your doing much better at this than I am today.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:25 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:As to the Second: Do you know that the defensive line coach and the head coach have the same compensation package? I mean I know that not all professors get free tuition for their kids, but some do. I have no idea how that translates to assistant football coaches.

"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 31southst on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:28 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I have bolded and italicized the part where people are unable to provide a why. Had he come in to a roster with 55 scholarship players returning and 5-6 recruits on board, and he had a lackluster effort, I might agree. Instead he came into a full roster, was evidently told to keep recruits if they still wanted to come, and had a couple of defections. He filled these with slots with a highly touted yet oft-injured tackle as a stop gap for a year, and his backup plans at QB and RB when his top few choices did not pan out. Am I disappointed that he didn't get the 2 star players he wanted instead of the 2 star players he got? Sure, I guess.

I'll take a shot. Daz was an unexpected hire that received mixed reviews. However, one thing that was universally touted as one of his strength's was his ability to recruit. Additionally, Daz was currently a head coach in the northeast who was recruiting a largely overlapping pool of players as was BC, so he came in with knowledge of the recruiting landscape. In coming to BC, he stepped into a class roundly acknowledged as at or near the bottom of the conference. Accepting his limitations with scholarship numbers as fact, he chose to use his scholarships as follows. The first one he gave to his son (I believe to be on scholarship until proven otherwise). Not a terrible use of one but not a home run either. The second one he used on a lowly regarded QB that ended up forcing out our best commit. I understand your point that, stupid or not, Daz thinks his system is more important, but that doesn't mean it doesn't ring hollow. The resulting third scholarship he used on his 3rd choice RB that he did not deem worthy of an offer at Temple. This came after whiffing on multiple guys (to schools like Memphis) and choosing to not recruit more highly regarded guys BC was in good shape with (Coppett). His fourth he used on a highly touted OL that, even in his best case, will only contribute for a non-championship year. Should you be disappointed that his use of the four scholarships he had were on a mediocre TE, a MAC QB, a FCS RB, and a one-year contributor? Considering recruiting is supposed to be a strength, yes I think you should. Obviously this is a tiny sample and he has a lot of time to kill it recruiting next year and make a bowl. However, given some of the candidates we passed on to hire him, he has a short leash in terms of fanbase good will and this isn't a good first sign.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:34 pm

Forget West's Argument/Comparisons for a moment. Is anyone happy with Addazio's immediate performance? I'm not. Patchan seems to be good as a one-year option, but don't confuse this result with real recruiting wins for high school graduates choosing their college. Rouse may be good. I hope he has motivation to prove himself like Harris did coming out of HS. His other two schollies seem terrible, and he completely struck out on a handful of late targets in competitive situations. While that's bound to happen given BC's current state and the fact that most of those kids were talking with other schools and coaches for many months prior to speaking with BC/Daz, we do know that past BC coaches had better success at grabbing late recruits. The worst part is still the fact that Daz lost several of BC's highest rated commitments. If he had not lost these players, I really wouldn't have cared one bit about how he "rounded out" this class with the last 4 schollies. As a whole, a weak start. I certainly hope he shows us that we should never have doubted him come next season's team performance and recruiting class.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:42 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:I'll take a shot. Daz was an unexpected hire that received mixed reviews. However, one thing that was universally touted as one of his strength's was his ability to recruit. Additionally, Daz was currently a head coach in the northeast who was recruiting a largely overlapping pool of players as was BC, so he came in with knowledge of the recruiting landscape. In coming to BC, he stepped into a class roundly acknowledged as at or near the bottom of the conference. Accepting his limitations with scholarship numbers as fact, he chose to use his scholarships as follows. The first one he gave to his son (I believe to be on scholarship until proven otherwise). Not a terrible use of one but not a home run either. The second one he used on a lowly regarded QB that ended up forcing out our best commit. I understand your point that, stupid or not, Daz thinks his system is more important, but that doesn't mean it doesn't ring hollow. The resulting third scholarship he used on his 3rd choice RB that he did not deem worthy of an offer at Temple. This came after whiffing on multiple guys (to schools like Memphis) and choosing to not recruit more highly regarded guys BC was in good shape with (Coppett). His fourth he used on a highly touted OL that, even in his best case, will only contribute for a non-championship year. Should you be disappointed that his use of the four scholarships he had were on a mediocre TE, a MAC QB, a FCS RB, and a one-year contributor? Considering recruiting is supposed to be a strength, yes I think you should. Obviously this is a tiny sample and he has a lot of time to kill it recruiting next year and make a bowl. However, given some of the candidates we passed on to hire him, he has a short leash in terms of fanbase good will and this isn't a good first sign.

So does recruiting Rouse and not Coppett and for purposes of this argument recruiting Walsh over Boyle add to the argument that Addazio is a bad recruiter? How exactly? Those are choices not failures.

Also, I would point out that while we found out about the Patchan committment last, that doesn't mean he was the last target.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 31southst on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:00 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
So does recruiting Rouse and not Coppett and for purposes of this argument recruiting Walsh over Boyle add to the argument that Addazio is a bad recruiter? How exactly? Those are choices not failures.

Also, I would point out that while we found out about the Patchan committment last, that doesn't mean he was the last target.

First, those aren't the only two options. He could of, you know, gotten a third player who is better than both much like other coaches in West's list were able to do. Additionally, if those are his choices, yes that is a bad sign. Spaz made the choice to fill up the class with not highly regarded talent before labor day. Choices very much matter in recruiting.

Look, I'm not totally checked out on Daz and I will give him a couple of years to see where things go. But the reason I'm arguing here is that it bothers me that people are totally willing to blindly discount his first two months recruiting when a) recruiting was supposedly his strength and b) other coaches in similar situations had better results.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:11 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

First, those aren't the only two options. He could of, you know, gotten a third player who is better than both much like other coaches in West's list were able to do. Additionally, if those are his choices, yes that is a bad sign. Spaz made the choice to fill up the class with not highly regarded talent before labor day. Choices very much matter in recruiting.

This is almost completely non responsive to what I wrote.

Look, I'm not totally checked out on Daz and I will give him a couple of years to see where things go. But the reason I'm arguing here is that it bothers me that people are totally willing to blindly discount his first two months recruiting when a) recruiting was supposedly his strength and b) other coaches in similar situations had better results.

The situations were not similar.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:42 pm

It's a waste of time. Could he have gotten 4 better mediocre players? Maybe. Do those 4 players make or break the program such that i should start ranting and raving? No.

I'm still annoyed about Boyle. But I this class is not really an indictment of the current staff. Like I said, if he had room to work, that's a different story.

Another factor that people miss is that some of those schollies didn't free up until very recently. When he arrived, he didn't know he would have 3-4 to work with. Boyle in particular was told he could stay. Certainly he recruited contingencies, but he couldn't offer more than 1-2 schollies until he got decisions from the guys backing out.

As I said, shit wasn't great. But great, bad, mediocre, doesn't make a damn bit of difference when you are talking 4 guys, 1 of whom uses a schollie for 1 year, and the other maybe not at all.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:00 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Another factor that people miss is that some of those schollies didn't free up until very recently. When he arrived, he didn't know he would have 3-4 to work with. Boyle in particular was told he could stay. Certainly he recruited contingencies, but he couldn't offer more than 1-2 schollies until he got decisions from the guys backing out.

Yet... he made damn sure there was immediate room for his kid (who will be eating up a schollie for one year due to transfer rules, before using the ship for 2 more seasons... likely on the bench).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:41 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:There is a rule whereupon you can't use a scholarship for one sport and then have the player walk on another team

Not quite, a player can be on scholarship for one sport and walk on for another, but if one of the sports is football then the scholarship must count against the football limit (same for basketball I think unless the other sport is football). This is to prevent schools from oversigning football players and giving them tennis scholarships.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium