2014 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2014 Recruiting Thread

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:15 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Casey {l Wrote}:No worries, even I was surprised how over the top Daz's praise was for the new recruits relative to the players he inherited.

Really? Because I'm not. With the seniors graduating, I wouldn't be surprised if the team's best 30 players consist of at least 25 freshmen and transfers.

Willis, Swigert (if he's healthy), Keyes, and probably Daniels are top 30 for sure....you could make an argument for guys like Harris Williams, Duggan, Vardaro, Abdesmad, Bryce Jones, and Asprilla as well. To be fair to Luigi he was able to get around 3-4 legitimate ACC-caliber players per recruiting class--unfortunately this isn't basketball, and you need a lot more than that.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:32 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Casey {l Wrote}:No worries, even I was surprised how over the top Daz's praise was for the new recruits relative to the players he inherited.

Really? Because I'm not. With the seniors graduating, I wouldn't be surprised if the team's best 30 players consist of at least 25 freshmen and transfers.

Willis, Swigert (if he's healthy), Keyes, and probably Daniels are top 30 for sure....you could make an argument for guys like Harris Williams, Duggan, Vardaro, Abdesmad, Bryce Jones, and Asprilla as well. To be fair to Luigi he was able to get around 3-4 legitimate ACC-caliber players per recruiting class--unfortunately this isn't basketball, and you need a lot more than that.

You should add Andy Gallik to the list. As much as Sean Devine effed up this kid Justin Frye uneffed the situation and made him into a third team all ACC lineman.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:40 pm

I am fine with that list of guys that are worth something on the current roster. Jury's out whether any other than Willis and the 3 starting OL will be in the top 30 players on the team next year.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:41 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I am fine with that list of guys that are worth something on the current roster. Jury's out whether any other than Willis and the 3 starting OL will be in the top 30 players on the team next year.

I think there may be some carryover talent in the OL beyond the three starters. I also think Duggan will play well. The rest is not so promising.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:40 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I am fine with that list of guys that are worth something on the current roster. Jury's out whether any other than Willis and the 3 starting OL will be in the top 30 players on the team next year.

I may be in the minority here, but I'd also say that the jury is still out as to how many kids still in high school will be in the top 30 players on the team next year.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:55 pm

Outlow won't be redshirting he's going to see time in the slot as well as the backfield. Don't have many athletes like him if any on the roster he's going to play.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:07 pm

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:Outlow won't be redshirting he's going to see time in the slot as well as the backfield. Don't have many athletes like him if any on the roster he's going to play.

Yeah, the idea that he and/or Hilliman should redshirt is stupid.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:37 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:Outlow won't be redshirting he's going to see time in the slot as well as the backfield. Don't have many athletes like him if any on the roster he's going to play.

i'd like to know what the rev thinks of this
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:38 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

I may be in the minority here, but I'd also say that the jury is still out as to how many kids still in high school will be in the top 30 players on the team next year.

I don't disagree. That's how bad I think it is.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eaglesfan06 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:38 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

Some people get obsessed with the idea of redshirting players solely to keep them around for an extra year.

But that was only an issue with a coach who couldn't recruit to replace said good players that you want to recruit. Now that we got someone to recruit if the freshman we bring in are good enough to play they should play. If they need a redshirt, they should redshirt. It shouldn't be something that is just used to save a guy for next year.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:15 pm

GreenvilleEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

You should add Andy Gallik to the list. As much as Sean Devine effed up this kid Justin Frye uneffed the situation and made him into a third team all ACC lineman.

Yeah, good point. Spaz actually didn't do a bad job of bringing in OL recruits (including younger guys like Cashman, Homer, and Gaughan who haven't seen much action yet, but who we beat out some pretty good programs to get), but he continued to employ a position coach that was completely unable to develop them.

As for redshirting Outlow/Hilliman--at this point, it's a no brainer that they are both going to play right away. However, until it was CONFIRMED that Kimble was leaving the team which was only a week or so ago, there was a decent chance that one of the two would be redshirted. Willis/Outlow/Hilliman/Alston should make a very nice complement of RBs over the next 3-4 years.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:08 pm

Just noticed that one of our recruits announced on signing day via twitter that he was proud to sign with Boston College University.

Can someone please make sure he shows up at 140 Comm Ave instead of 575 Comm?
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby Casey on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:01 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

As for redshirting Outlow/Hilliman--at this point, it's a no brainer that they are both going to play right away. However, until it was CONFIRMED that Kimble was leaving the team which was only a week or so ago, there was a decent chance that one of the two would be redshirted. Willis/Outlow/Hilliman/Alston should make a very nice complement of RBs over the next 3-4 years.

I have a feeling Daz has known for a few months that Kimble wasn't coming back. It's just a guess, but I think they addressed the situation and made a mutual decision during bowl practices. Don't forget, Kimble dressed out in full pads for the bowl game, but he was in civies and jersey for many others. Felt like a respectful send off gesture to me.

Anyway, I agree that red shirting one of our 4 RBs is the preferred long term strategy to managing the roster, but that wasn't going to happen to Hillnan & Outlow THIS YEAR. Daz promised immediate playing time to sign these guys ... Using the same emphatic language expressed in the transcript. If he chooses to redshirt one, it will probably be in year 2-3, after a clear starter emerges ... Or if there is an injury in training camp that warrants shutting one down.
Casey
Carney Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:47 pm

Casey {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I have a feeling Daz has known for a few months that Kimble wasn't coming back. It's just a guess, but I think they addressed the situation and made a mutual decision during bowl practices. Don't forget, Kimble dressed out in full pads for the bowl game, but he was in civies and jersey for many others. Felt like a respectful send off gesture to me.

Anyway, I agree that red shirting one of our 4 RBs is the preferred long term strategy to managing the roster, but that wasn't going to happen to Hillnan & Outlow THIS YEAR. Daz promised immediate playing time to sign these guys ... Using the same emphatic language expressed in the transcript. If he chooses to redshirt one, it will probably be in year 2-3, after a clear starter emerges ... Or if there is an injury in training camp that warrants shutting one down.

I completely agree. However, it wasn't known to the public that Kimble was gone until about a week ago, therefore it was perfectly reasonable before that to think that one of the incoming RBs could be redshirted.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:00 pm

Casey {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I completely agree. However, it wasn't known to the public that Kimble was gone until about a week ago, therefore it was perfectly reasonable before that to think that one of the incoming RBs could be redshirted.

If Wilson sticks as a RB, then I could see him getting redshirted. Rouse, Alston, Willis, Outlow and Hilliman should be able to get BC through this year.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby StayBlessed on Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:13 pm

So whats the pecking order...this is my guess:

Featured RB
Hillman
Outlow
Rouse
Wilson

All-purpose RB
Willis
Alston
StayBlessed
Carney Hall

Postby bcbasketball20 on Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:59 pm

wilson is playing line-backer

i think it goes:

hilliman
willis
outlow
rouse

alston plays just as kick/punt returner
bcbasketball20
Carney Hall

Postby bcbasketball20 on Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:00 pm

between those 4, that will be enough to have all the carries

i would say it goes

hilliman 20 carries a game
willis 12
outlow 10
rouse 3

is that too many carries per game? 45? if it is then subtract 2 from each playerr
bcbasketball20
Carney Hall

Postby Casey on Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:23 pm

bcbasketball20 {l Wrote}:between those 4, that will be enough to have all the carries

i would say it goes

willis 12
outlow 10
rouse 3

is that too many carries per game? 45? if it is then subtract 2 from each playerr

Don't forget 10+ carries from Murphy/Wade.

Have a feeling we'll send 50+ rushes a game, with 10+ touches by the RBs in the passing/screen game. The QBs & RBs are the best athletes on our team, so they'll be the focal point.
Casey
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:57 am

Casey {l Wrote}:
bcbasketball20 {l Wrote}:between those 4, that will be enough to have all the carries

i would say it goes

willis 12
outlow 10
rouse 3

Don't forget 10+ carries from Murphy/Wade.

Have a feeling we'll send 50+ rushes a game, with 10+ touches by the RBs in the passing/screen game. The QBs & RBs are the best athletes on our team, so they'll be the focal point.

I know everyone is all geeked about the GUARANTEED to be best running back class in the history of the universe. But... I will be PISSED OFF if we have 4 RBs regularly touch the ball. That would mean that none will be able to get into a flow and/or we have decided to never again throw the ball (instead reverting back to Daz's terrible offense he had in Year 2 of Temple).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:06 am

I'm fine if one of the bigger guys earns 25 carries. I am just not expecting to offense to look the same. I think you will see 3 backs on the field at the same time at points next season. So it is not a huge leap to project 3-4 guys getting carries.

That said, I think it more likely that you see Willis and one of the freshman split a majority of the carries, and that other guys will get 2 or 3 touches at most - special plays, end arounds, toss sweeps, garbage time.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby maxwell22 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:10 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'm fine if one of the bigger guys earns 25 carries. I am just not expecting to offense to look the same. I think you will see 3 backs on the field at the same time at points next season. So it is not a huge leap to project 3-4 guys getting carries.

That said, I think it more likely that you see Willis and one of the freshman split a majority of the carries, and that other guys will get 2 or 3 touches at most - special plays, end arounds, toss sweeps, garbage time.

More importantly,what is the offensive line going to look like?
maxwell22
Carney Hall

Postby maxwell22 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:11 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'm fine if one of the bigger guys earns 25 carries. I am just not expecting to offense to look the same. I think you will see 3 backs on the field at the same time at points next season. So it is not a huge leap to project 3-4 guys getting carries.

maxwell22
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:12 am

maxwell22 {l Wrote}:

Presumably, the same inside with SIlberman and the best in-house guy taking over the tackles.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:32 am

Between QB runs, the multiple backs you described above and the fact that RBs get hurt a decent amount, don't see anyone grabbing 20+ carries per game.

We've seen glimpses of Willis being able to catch the ball out of the backfield as well as the comment of them using Outlow (?) there.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:22 pm

I foresee 2 guys getting the bulk of the carries with a 3rd receiving a few snaps in a game. I think a 4th will see Rouse-like garbage time in blowouts or if an injury pops up. But, the concept of regularly running 5-deep with Donahue-like substitutions is crazy talk.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:27 pm

DrJackRyan {l Wrote}:Just noticed that one of our recruits announced on signing day via twitter that he was proud to sign with Boston College University.

Can someone please make sure he shows up at 140 Comm Ave instead of 575 Comm?

Maybe he just reads this board.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Bunratty on Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:31 pm

[quote="bcbasketball20"]wilson is playing line-backer

Source?
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby Casey on Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:26 pm

Bunratty {l Wrote}:
bcbasketball20 {l Wrote}:wilson is playing line-backer

Source?

I don't think that has been decided yet, but after Hillman committed, Wilson mentioned that the Staff was also looking at him as a strong safety/OLB, and he's happy to play anywhere. Personally, I loved his RB film, but I can see him in JL Dunbar roll. But he should redshirt either way, giving the staff time to see where he fits in.

With 5 young RBs, and a handful of combo SS/OLB in this class, it's a rare luxury for BC to have a plethora of multi-dimensional athletes & let sort their positions out on the field, rather than needs based.

If we had the luxury 2 years ago, I think you would gave seen ALJ at safety, and he would have been a good one.
Last edited by Casey on Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Casey
Carney Hall

Postby Casey on Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:38 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

I foresee 2 guys getting the bulk of the carries with a 3rd receiving a few snaps in a game.

I think that is exactly right, with one qualification, each of these guys brings a little something different to the table, so aside from the base offense, they'll be groomed for specific situations/packages. Hillman is the workhorse, and Rouse can spell him in that role between the 20's. Willis will definitely be in the spread & 2 minute packages because he's fast and elusive in space. Not sure where outlow fits in, he seems to be well rounded.

Also I expect to see some split back packages, much like Oregon used.
Casey
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium